Start by marking “Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)” as Want to Read:
Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)

Thud! (Discworld #34)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  53,430 Ratings  ·  1,409 Reviews
Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarfs, or the dwarfs ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago.

But if he doesn't solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see it fought again, right outside his office.

With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding, he must unrav
Published October 2nd 2006 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about Thud!, please sign up.
James Alday There are various reading order guides floating around, this one has multiple translations and is worth a look: …moreThere are various reading order guides floating around, this one has multiple translations and is worth a look: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...(less)

Nataliya
2016 edit:

On my reread #8 (!) I still can't help but marvel at the heap of awesome this book is. Undoubtedly the absolute high of Pratchett's writing. This is the book that does not seem likely to lose its relevance in the world like ours, where, sadly, we see the thriving of the hatred and prejudice and insistence on fixating on what separates us from each other fueled by the waves of bigoted populism.

Maybe it will get better one day.

----------------
"What kind of creature defines itself by ha
Ms. Smartarse
[January 2018 re-read]

Watch Commander Sam Vimes has had about enough of Koom Valley. It has always been a contentious subject with both dwarves and trolls, but these days the mere thought of it has become downright suicidal. Add in a suspicious murder, and the Commander of the City Watch is rightly expecting a full-blown reenactment of legendary battle to take place any moment.

Lord Vetinari on the other hand, seems more concerned about the lack of vampire coppers. Wasn't the City Watch the most
Algernon
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

The war between the dwarfs and the trolls was a battle of natural forces, like the war between the wind and the waves. It had a momentum of its own.

It's origins are hidden in the mists surrounding the mythical Koom Valley, a place where each side is accusing the other of treacherous ambush, but its recent manifestation has moved to Ankh-Morpork, courtesy of the city's new policies of welcoming immigrants.

Pretty soon some people will be saying: Who let all these dwarfs in here? They undermine
Lyn
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sam Vines is one of the greatest examples of leadership that can be found amongst any of the SF/F protagonists in the past 50 years.

Pratchett’s main character of his City Watch sub-series, Commander of the Watch Sam Vines, Duke of Ankh-Morpork, who arose from the captain of the night watch, who used to give part of his monthly check to the widows and orphans of fallen watchmen, is again at center stage in this the 34th Discworld novel first published in 2006 and good enough to get a nomination f
Melki
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The fighting doesn't start until Koom Valley Day. That's tomorrow."

"Damn, I lost track. Will it affect us down here?"

Bashfullsson coughed politely. "I don't think so, Commander. This area is too dangerous to fight in."

"Well, yes, I can see it would be terrible if anyone got hurt," said Vimes, climbing over a long heap of rotting timber. "That would spoil the day for everyone."

While the main mystery of this one - a dwarf is apparently murdered by a troll - didn't interest me much, there are plen
Knjigoholičarka
Nov 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, discworld
Volela bih da postoji Fakultet okultnih nauka, Odsek za nekromantiju, Smer za prizivanje mrtvih pisaca, pa da ga završim, dobijem diplomu (uz odbranjen rad na temu "Empirijski utvrđene razlike u ritualima prizivanja pisaca preminulih pre i nakon 1950-te godine"), pa da mogu da otvorim SZUNR* i legalno summonujem Terija Pračeta samo da ga pitam:

- Brate... zašto?

----------------
* - Samostalna zanatsko-ugostiteljska nekromantska radnja
Grace
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Samuel Vimes, to me, is the most fascinating character in the discworld series - to watch his growth from a disillusioned drunkard in Guards! Guards! up till the current book - fatherhood! I enjoyed it tremendously. I also enjoyed the idea of having the next generation - with young Sam and Tiffany Aching, and trying to imagine little half-werewolf-half-human-brought-up-as-half-dwarf babies... i truly want to get a peek into the future and see what lies in store for the discworld and ankh-morpork ...more
Richard
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
8/10

Another sterling effort by Sir Pratchett and a solid entry into the Watch sub-series. I feel like I’m being a bit like a broken record when reviewing these books; they’re all well written, filled with humour (some more than others), great characters and overall a great character development arc (again, some more than others. Has Nobby really changed since the first novel, not really). But the repetition doesn’t impact the overall enjoyment, I’ve found this series filled with great moments th
Melindam
“And yet we say this. Here is the cave at the end of the world, peace is made between dwarf and troll, and we will march beyond the hand of Death together. For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good...”

So here we have another City Watch/Discworld book with a poignant story full of humour, bile, tension, excitement and full of SAM VIMES, who is...., but you probably know by now a
YouKneeK
Thud! is the seventh book in the Watch subseries of Discworld. Tensions have always been high between the dwarves and the trolls. Now a dwarf has been murdered in Ankh-Morpork, and it looks like a troll might have been responsible.

As with the previous Watch book, it focuses heavily on Vimes, but he continues to be far more likeable than he was earlier in the series so I’m continuing to warm up to him. The story itself didn’t really stand out from the previous books. Yes, it does a good job of p
Chris Gottlieb
Sometimes you gotta shut up and pay attention: Sorry, but when you've entertained, amused and jollied up an entire worldful of sapient entities, you *have* to be allowed every now and then to get a bit serious.

Depends on what makes you laugh, I suppose, but this is not *meant* to be a funny book. Pratchett is doing really serious, relevant and overtly political stuff here. The "funny bits" are no more than the comic relief in the best Shakespearean tradition.

Parallels are everywhere here. You
Kirsten
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of the review quotes on the back of this book says something like, "Terry Pratchett's books are almost always better than they need to be." I think this is a pretty good assessment. If Pratchett's books were nothing more than humorous fluff, I would probably still read and enjoy them, but the added depth of character that he brings to his novels is what keeps me reading them over and over again.

In this enstallment, we find Sam Vimes trying to once again bring a semblance of peace to the chao
Olga Godim
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
A terrific novel. It’s part of the City Watch sub-series, and of course, Sam Vimes, the commander of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, is the protagonist. In this novel, he faces a serious crisis. The city streets thrum with unrest. The dwarves and trolls are ready to turn the entire city into a battlefield. The anniversary of the Koom Valley is approaching.
What was Koom Valley? As all of the Discworld know, it is the site of an historic battle between trolls and dwarves. It happened hundreds o
Althea Ann
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that this is my favorite Discworld novel that I've read so far! (And I've read quite a few of them.)
This one transcends the one-note satire that many of the Discworld books feature (each one takes on a certain topic - this one has a theme of racial tolerance). This installment of the series also pokes gentle fun at the mystery genre - but, while doing so, is itself a quite good mystery novel!
It actually kicks the crap out of any of the glut of 'paranormal investigation' novels that hav
Kaethe
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
November 17, 2005

"Is that my cow?" I particularly like the side of Vimes who is such a good parent that regardless of what else he must contend with, he makes it a point to be there to read the bedtime book. I'm only sorry my Offspring are too old for the cow book.

Kathleen
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Great addition to the Discworld "City Watch" sub-series (books listed in order below). THUD features Commander Sam Vimes, Corporal Carrot, and the whole City Watch -- humans, trolls, werewolves, dwarfs, etc.

Happy to say, the story includes several vivid and heartwarming scenes with Sam's wife Sybil, their one-year-old son Sam, and their resourceful butler, Willikins. Throughout this book there's a theme of promise-keeping. Daddy (Commander Sam Vimes) never breaks his word to his chil
Lightreads
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Most recent Watch novel. My very favorite Discworld arc, so I've doled them out carefully to myself over the past few years. This one lives up and then some. Sam Vimes and his men coppers face civil unrest as racial tensions flare between the dwarves and the trolls. Meanwhile a mysterious museum theft may have surprising consequences, there's been a murder, and Vimes must get home by six to read "Where's My Cow?" to his son.

It's a Watch novel – either you know why it's awesome and you're already
Fiona
Oh, he's good. He's very good. Sam Vimes and the City Watch is the only Discworld arc that I don't think I've ever tired of two thirds of the way through a book, and I'm so glad I picked this one up. It's a very well-crafted whodunnit, with a rich and complicated backdrop and a well-rounded and thoroughly interesting cast. The pace is spot on. The parallels to the real world, and the Serious Issues, while undeniably serious and difficult, are not particularly in-your-face or preachey. Well, may ...more
Angela Blount
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it

“Shoes, men, coffins; never accept the first one you see.”

This is my first true experience with Terry Pratchet, and I’m left with the impression that he is (and was) to the fantasy genre what Douglas Adams was to sci-fi. That is to say… expansively clever, decidedly British, and not prone to taking himself too seriously. The man was a brilliant writer and masterful storyteller—of that I’m convinced. The following review will reflect this particular Discworld book only…

Samuel Vimes, the no-nons
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, favorites, humor
The Guards novels in the Discworld series are my favorites, and Thud! is maybe my second favorite of the Guards novels. Maybe third. Maybe first. It depends on the day. I love this one enough that I have trouble articulating why it's my second/third/first favorite. The heart of the story, the truth about Koom Valley, strikes me as a powerful narrative about prejudice and hatred and how easy it is to write ourselves a story that fits our preconceived ideas about the world and the people who live ...more
Marina
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, wishlist
Wastrel
How pleasing is Thud!? Well, it depend what you're looking for.
If you're looking for the next chapter in the story of our beloved characters in the Watch, it's pretty disappointing. Far too much of what we are given here feels like repetition from earlier novels, and much of the rest is ultimately trivial and goes nowhere. Neither the characters nor the themes here are substantially advanced from previous installments, and as a result I was deeply disappointed when I first read this. I had been
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: High Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: previous books
Where is my cow?
I loved Vimes determination and resolve to never miss reading to his little boy punctually at 6 o'clock.
Helen 2.0
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really really love Douglas Adams, and Thud! book came almost as close to my heart as the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Like Douglas, Pratchett is insanely good at saying the most ridiculous things while sounding totally reasonable and stoically serious.
I especially liked the way Thud! focused on Commander Vimes for the most part but went off on tangents with the characters surrounding him. Tawnee, Angua, Brick, and Sybil were all awesome to hear from and kept the book from slipping into boring.
H.S.J. Williams
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sniff...sniff...

Now I know why Anne Elisabeth Stengl says this author has the power to make you cry and laugh within sentences. The storyline with Sam and little Sam...wow...just wow....
Milan
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iako vekovni neprijatelji trolovi i patuljci u Ank-Morporku žive u miru i slozi. Svako gleda svoja posla i živi svoj život koje im multikulturalno društvo u najvećem gradu na Disksvetu omogućava. Daleko su od svojih rodnih brda ili rudnika i više im je stalo da prožive svoj život punim plućima nego da se uguše u mržnji prema drugima. Ružnu prošlost su ostavili u prošlosti, da bi se u punom kapacitetu posvetili životu u sadašnjosti.

Međutim tu je grupa patuljaka koji nemaju svoj život. Zatvoreni s
Carrie
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I will try to refrain from asking you all, yet again, why you are not yet reading Terry Pratchett (if indeed, you are not). Whoops, too late. Thud is a Discworld novel, focusing, as most of the more recent books have, on Sam Vimes, the Commander of the Watch in the city of Ankh-Morph, and the troubles that ensue when the ethnic tensions arise between the local Trolls and Dwarfs, who had been generally in peace, despite traditions of enmity between the two groups. Basically, a group of fundamenta ...more
Óli Sóleyjarson
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Í dag er ár síðan að Terry Pratchett lést. Síðan þá hef ég hægt og rólega verið að lesa Discworld bækurnar. Nær án undantekningar hafa þær verið betri en mig minnti. Þessi er eitt enn dæmi um það.

Ég talaði aðeins um Pratchett í útvarpsþætti sem var gerður í kjölfar andláts hans. Ég veit ekki hvað endaði í þættinum en ég man ég lagði áherslu á fjölmenningarhyggjuna sem birtist í bókum Pratchett. Ég hef alltaf túlkað bækur hans á þá leið að hann hafi verið gríðarlegur fjölmenningarsinni.

Hann var e
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every single person on the planet
Well, here's a no-brainer. A fantasy book with a grumpy and unwillingly badass policeman? A comedy with underlying important race issues? Yes please.

Thud! was the first Pratchett that I read, and the first book I ever had which actually fitted in my handbag of the time (I've now got a decent book-sized one). As such, the gold is almost gone from the cover, the pages are falling out, and the covers themselves are battered beyond saving. I must have read this book at least 25 times, if not more.
Thiago d'Evecque
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Uma nova história no arco da Guarda da Cidade e, como Night Watch, mais sombria, também.

Sam Vimes é provavelmente o personagem mais interessante e real do Disco. Podemos sentir sua fúria transbordando, seu amor e preocupação pela família (e pela Guarda, sua segunda família), seu sendo de dever por Ankh, seu respeito/afronta com o Patrício, sua inteligência streetsmart.

Como os outros livros da série, o gênero predominante é o humor, mas as minhas cenas favoritas foram: quando atacam a casa de Vim
Dwarf vs. Troll 12 128 Oct 07, 2013 01:43AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: My Fifth Terry Pratchett this Year 6 7 Aug 16, 2012 07:09AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Thud! by Terry Pratchett 1 5 May 25, 2012 07:50PM
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • The Story of the Stone (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #2)

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Coffee is a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your older self.” 454 likes
“Why bother with a cunning plan when a simple one will do?” 155 likes