Start by marking “The Myth of a Christian Religion: Losing Your Religion for the Beauty of a Revolution” as Want to Read:

The kingdom of God is a beautiful revolution. Marked by the radical life, love, servanthood, and humility of Jesus, it stands in stark contrast to the values and ways of the world.Regrettably, many who profess to follow Christ have bought into the world’s methods, seeking to impose a sort of Christianized ethical kingdom through politics and control. In this illuminating s ...more
Published April 9th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of a Christian Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of a Christian Religion

Bart Breen
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Add another Voice to the Growing Revolution

Gregory A. Boyd is hardly a new voice in religious circles although he certainly has developed something of a reputation for being on the outside of many circles looking in. Boyd is an evangelical pastor with a distinguished past of academic accomplishments including training with honors at Yale and Princeton Theological Schools. He has served in the past as a professor at Bethel University.

Boyd is probably best known in the theological community as a l
Lynne Stringer
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a phenomenal read and woke me up to a number of things I was doing, as a Christian, out of unhealthy habits. It made me see, as a friend put it, that there is no 'us' and 'them' when it comes to people in the world, there is only 'us' and we should demonstrate that love to those who don't know Christ rather than distancing ourselves from them and waving the finger of judgement at them.
Kim
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for Christians and non-Christians alike. For non-Christians it shows that the Christianity that they are most familiar with may not accurately reflect the teachings of Jesus. For Christians, it makes us confront the way many of us distort Jesus' teachings to suit our own desires, instead of living the revolutionary, radical way Christians are called to be.
Ivar Ima
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Religion is forcing conformity under the Tree of knowledge of good and evil. We are fighting the wrong good/evil battle in stead of fighting the real life/death battle.
Under the Tree of Death we learn how to judge.
Under the Tree of Life we learn how to live. It is hard to judge and love at the same time.
Silvia Ferrara
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is no theologian I agree with more than Gregory Boyd. That said, this one has a few weird suggestions like “prayer stalking” (still stalking people...). Overall, I think he also gives amazing ideas to help us love those we find it difficult to love and challenges many of the church’s issues and weaknesses and as always challenges us to be more like Christ and let nothing get in the way.
Benjamin
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
Stopped reading after about 100 pages - I appreciate the point that Boyd is trying to make, but the book seems to mostly be assertations about how the kingdom of God is without any real reasoning or argument for why it's that way.
Dennis Gunnarson
Excellent redirect away from culture centered religion to Jesus' focus on relationship centered life. Greg's call to follow Jesus' example in being a rebel with a cause was inspired.
Steve Callahan
I'd probably give it a higher rating if I hadn't already read his The Myth of a Christian Nation [twice].
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
With much focus on the idolatry of nationalism, patriotism, and violence; all of which Boyd covers in great detail in, "The Myth of a Christian Nation", there doesn't seem to be much new material in this book. However, he does tackle a few additional topics not mentioned in his previous book with honesty and personal transparency; which I really love about Greg Boyd's material. The chapters on the Revolt Against Judgment and Individualism really resonated with me as they seem to be issues I myse ...more
Ben Zajdel
The Myth of a Christian Religion is Gregory Boyd's follow up to The Myth of a Christian Nation. The book takes Boyd's opinions and views of a Christian nation even further, stating that Jesus did not come to start a new religion, but to bring the kingdom of God to earth.

Boyd basically expounds on many of the themes he covered in Myth of a Christian Nation, but focuses less on America and more on the individual spiritual condition. His passion and caring exude from the chapters, and we see more
Gerald Thomson
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Though Boyd makes some wonderful points about what it means to truly follow Jesus, the anti-church/anti-America rhetoric is a bit difficult to get through. In some sections Boyd indicates that Christians should not be involved in politics, and certainly not rely on politics to solve problems for us, but then asks that we support politicians who are emphasizing the changes that he thinks are important. Boyd also overuses the philosophy that Christians are supposed to live like Jesus lived. Since ...more
Erin
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I think Greg Boyd has a real insight into topics he writes about and this book is no exception...because I LOVED his last book "Myth of a Christian Nation", this one initially was a lot of repeat at the beginning, but then got a bit more involved in new concepts.

Some good reminders about care of creation, nonviolence, and present-awareness....the last chapter talks about feeling God's presence in every mundane moment - and they get less mundane.

..."Our lives are nothing more than a series of pr
Hillery
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent, thought-provoking book by an evangelical minister that addresses a lot of the issues I have with organized religion in general. I recommend it for everyone, particularly my evangelical Christian friends. Living like Jesus would be truly revolutionary if we all did it, but no one does....especially the majority of Christian Conservatives in the US. So much of our western society is predicated on us not acting Christ-like. If we truly tried to emulate Christ, it would rock the American ...more
Geoff Glenister
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great follow up to "The Myth of a Christian Nation". I especially appreciated Boyd's chapter on recognizing and dealing with racism in the church. He covers how subtle racism has become, why whites don't even recognize it, why a key feature of the gospel is to break down barriers of racism (the chapter comes right after a discussion on class-ism, so it's a good one-two punch), he tells a personal "I screwed up" story that is very powerful, discusses some practical things that need to h ...more
Amanda
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book about who Jesus was and how his message got lost through the ages. He breaks down several controversial topics to uncover what Jesus would have done if given the situation. It cuts through the political rhetoric and reveals the power of Jesus Christ and the Father he represented. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It really made me think about a few things in a new perspective.
Warren Benton
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, christian
This book really got to me. Boyd talks about the Kingdom in a way we do not discuss the Kingdom. He talks about how if we are truly and alien here then why is there no difference in us and the current residents. A few times i had push back because he spoke of things like patriotism and how if we profess to be for the Kingdom then we have to not support a nation. He also brought up great points on viewing the other side of situations. Dont just look at them through our perspective.

Bryan Stevenson
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another solid book by Greg Boyd. I particularly enjoyed the chapters on government, racism, and secularism. Religion has come to represent human structures, instead of the principles Jesus lived out during his time on earth. This book provides some thought provoking insights that go against the predominant evangelical views.
David
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Third time through and it's better each time. First three chapters are a call to fall in love with God. The rest is how to stay in love and not get sucked into religious distractions. Thank you Boyd. Also see his book Present Perfect.
Bobby
Very accessible and challenging chapters on a variety of topics all revolving around the question of what God's Kingdom looks like. Not quite as personally compelling as "Myth of a Christian Nation", but a good read.
David
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I only gave it four stars, since it overlaps with much of Boyd's previous book, "Myth of a Christian Nation." Still, the content is Biblically-based and thought-provoking. It's well worth the time to read. I suggest reading the previous book first -- this one will then logically follow.
Lon
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the prequel, The Myth of a Christian Nation, but a good reminder that following Jesus takes courage and does not always follow the path of those who call themselves Christians but are functional atheists. I especially liked the chapters on violence and secularization.
Mark
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
nothing in here that hasn't been said better somewhere else. It is a good book though.
Adam
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very good and very challenging book about Christianity.
Kyle
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good intro for those interested in the difference between Christian faith and religion or religiosity. Good start for diving into the subversive nature of Christian practice.
Jim Savage
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
currently reading this book; about 50% through and already one of the best books I have read... a must read.
John Fletcher
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a great read. Loved each chapters focus and summary. The end has questions to work through each chapter and are good.
Dennis Beery
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as his earlier book, "Myth Of A Christian Nation", but Boyd hit on some good points that were worth considering in my walk with Christ.
Dave
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Greg Boyd. It makes some great insights about contemporary Christianity, but I did feel it was a little repetitive after Myth of a Christian Nation.
Russ Skinner
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Again, well worth reading.
Leroy Seat
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a very fine book, and I recommend it heartily. It is honest, perceptive, and written by one whom I consider, after having read his book, a true Christian.

• Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Starting Your Best Life Now: A Guide for New Adventures and Stages on Your Journey
  • Fight: A Christian Case for Non-Violence
  • Dark Mysteries of the Vatican
  • Lord, Change My Attitude
  • Made of Honor
  • Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way
  • Skeptics and True Believers: The Exhilarating Connection Between Science and Spirituality
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Where Heaven Begins
  • A Match Made in Texas (Chatam House #2)
  • Dead Air
  • The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper (Women of the West Series #1)
  • The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Midnight Caller
  • SAHM I Am
Gregory A. Boyd is the founder and senior pastor of Woodland Hills Church in St. Paul, Minn., and founder and president of ReKnew. He was a professor of theology at Bethel College (St. Paul, Minn.) for sixteen years where he continues to serve as an Adjunct Professor.

Greg is a graduate of the University of Minnesota (BA), Yale Divinity School (M.Div), and Princeton Theological Seminary (PhD). Gre
“With reckless abandon, therefore, we are to manifest God’s unconditional love by ascribing unsurpassable worth to all people at all times in all conditions.” 1 likes
“In the West we are brainwashed into thinking that clinging to our personal rights and freedoms, while striving after things, is our ticket to happiness. In reality, it’s making us miserable.

Several studies have revealed that, statistically speaking, America has one of the highest rates of depression (and other mental health disorders) in the world. On the other hand, these mental health studies suggest that Nigeria has one of the lowest rates of depression. Despite the fact that the average standard of living in America is roughly four times that of Nigeria, and despite the fact that Nigeria is a country with a multitude of social problems—including dehumanizing poverty, a serious AIDS epidemic, and ongoing civil strife—Nigeria has far less depression, per capita, than America.

What do Nigerians have that Americans lack?

Judging from the Nigerians I know, I’m convinced the main thing is a sense of community. Nigerians generally know they need one another. They don’t have the luxury of trying to do life solo, even if they had the inclination to do so. Consequently, Nigerians tend to have a sense of belonging that most Americans lack, and this provides them with a sense of general satisfaction in life, despite the hardships they endure.

Many studies have shown that personal happiness is more closely associated with one’s depth of relationships and the amount one invests in others than it is with the comforts one “enjoys.” And this is exactly what we’d expect given that we’re created in the image of a God whose very nature is communal. It’s against our nature to be isolated. It makes us miserable, dehumanizes us, and ultimately destroys us.”
1 likes