Start by marking “The Art of Fair Isle Knitting” as Want to Read:
The Art of Fair Isle Knitting

The Art of Fair Isle Knitting

Knit colorful hats, gloves, and sweaters in the Shetland tradition.
Published December 1st 1996 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Fair Isle Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Fair Isle Knitting

Start your review of The Art of Fair Isle Knitting
Amberjean
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needlework
Useful charts, fairly comprehensive historical and construction details. The pattern section kind of underwhelmed me, mostly because, after an intensely detailed (and helpful) discussion of color usage, the color usage in the patterns was just not that good.

However, the photographs of historical garments and samplers in the history section were outstanding in variety and quality. I especially enjoyed the breakdown of the decades of the 20th century with the major modifications to fair isle patte
Gillian
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Feitelsen's book discusses the history of Fair Isle knitting, techniques, and how to choose colours. I found the pattern instructions in this book easier to understand than in Alice Starmore's book. While Starmore's book left me intimidated, this book inspired me to take up my circular needles and give Fair Isle knitting a try. I am now addicted to this art form.
Cayenne
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the best discussions of color theory I've ever read. The history was a bit dry, but the author certainly knew her stuff. I find Fair Isle knitting fascinating and if I ever get to the point where I want to design my own, this is the book I will buy.
BookMaus
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-crafty
A great instructional book for fair isle knitting. Many pictures and especially pictures of what it looks like when things go wrong.
Apryl Anderson
This one's a 'keeper,' even if only for the visuals alone. The photos are crisp, clear, and varied—many of which I've not seen in other books on the Shetland two-colour techniques. Ms. Feitelson's journalistic approach to history and design serve her well, because she evidently knew what questions to ask in order to pinpoint what exactly it is that separates Fair Isle from other jacquard styles. In addition, her fine arts background enables her to explain the application of colour theory to Shet ...more
Peggy
I have not read this book from cover-to-cover, but I can see that it would be a great reference when designing and making your own Fair Isle style garment. That is on my list of wardrobe foundation sweaters to make. I like the color style in the patterns at the end of the book. Also I thought the section on how to hold the yarn and the discussion about yarn dominance or prominence was extremely useful and helped to understand how to make you garment look a lot better as far as the pattern goes. ...more
Carolyn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating history of Shetland and Fair Isle knitting, as well as detailed information on technique and color theory. My goal is to knit a Fair Isle sweater, someday....
Linda
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Good history of Fair Isle knitting, as well as Shetland knitting. Includes how to choose colors and design patterns, as well as knitting patterns.
Gina Ritchie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mckinley
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty, if only I did color-work like this.
Judi
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well researched and scholarly written with an artists eye for colour. I can't say enough about this book. It starts with an in depth history of Fair Isle knitting and its origins and influences, it's impact on the economy and society of the Shetland Islands. Techniques are covered in depth, with an emphasis on native uses and variations. The chapter on colour is based on artistic principles of colour and how the knitters of the Shetland Islands use colour. It includes patterns for over 20 knitte ...more
Emmalee
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, non-fiction
This book starts out with the history of fair isle knitting and includes a great number of pictures, as one would expect. There are some really nice color patterns, and a discussion on techniques. However, I learn better by watching or listening to somebody, so this book isn't quite as useful for me, as somebody who would like to learn.
Thea
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Fair Isle knitting books ever. Feitelson's educational section is top notch for knitters to read and see how colorations are used to knit the desired effect. You can always knit her patterns that are included and you won't go wrong with the colors selected for each project.
Bibliothekerin
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I especially like the Baltasound pullover and King Harald cap patterns.
Shelly Jean
Apr 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Christmas W/Maud Lewis
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • Slow Knitting
  • Rosemary Cottage (Hope Beach #2)
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body
  • Bob Warden's Slow Food Fast
  • Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
  • The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook: Patterns, Projects and Inspirations
  • Knitting Around
  • Some Kind of Wonderful
  • 50 Heirloom Buttons to Make
  • Color in Spinning
  • Knitting Fresh Brioche: Creating Two-Color Twists  Turns
  • Amy Herzog's Ultimate Sweater Book: The Essential Guide for Adventurous Knitters
  • Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family