Start by marking “The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #4-6)” as Want to Read:

The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition

(The Icewind Dale Trilogy #1-3 omnibus)

Icewind Dale. Windswept passes and forbidding glaciers stand at the top of the world. Below them, in the cold valleys, an evil force broods: the magic of Crenshinibon, the crystal shard.
Now dwarf, barbarian, and drow elf join to battle this evil. Tempered in the furnace of struggle, they form an unbreakable friendship.
A legend is born.
For the first time in one volume, h
Paperback, Collector's Edition, 1040 pages
Published February 2001 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition

Stefan
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read a lot of EPIC FANTASY as a child, and currently it helps me get bored and fall asleep at night.

This was no exception.

These books are fucking garbage. I cannot believe that R.A. Salvatore is a bestselling fantasy writer, and that I actually stomached my way through the entire trilogy (I was drunk most of the time, and I almost puked on the heavy tome during one sordid evening).

The stories follow the journeys of Drazzt Drowploixtation, Generic Dwarf Warrior, Man-Man the Barbarian, and Hot A
J.P. Ashman
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I find these hard to rate now, because I read most of them around ten years ago. I absolutely LOVED them back then, but feel like my tastes have now changed...

I'm going to rate them based on my thoughts and feeling at the time and, as said, I LOVED them! In fact, they're the books that really got me back into reading fantasy and back into reading in a way I'd never experienced before. For that, it has to be 5* - If only for Drizzt and the gang, all of who I know so well (but it's not just those
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
My very first Forgotten Realms read.

I enjoyed it although I felt it could have been better.

Again, I think I judge authors too harshly after being spoiled by the Malazan series. Will I ever get over that?

Drizzt Do'Urden, what a great character! I can see why he is loved by so many. His wise advice can be used in real life and is a metaphor for not judging people by what lies on the outside, but instead for their actions and what's inside.

At times I had to chuckle, because I could almost see the p
✨The Reading
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I can't. I'm sorry, I just can't get into books like this. I started reading this book at the suggestion of my husband but I just can't. I like fantasy fiction but I'm a bit picky about this particular genre because I can't get into books like this. The names of people and places are ridiculously hard to pronounce (even just in your head), the scenes & stories are typical cliche's and it is extremely difficult for me to get into the story at all. Its just not for me.
However I'm sure someone
Teresa
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I started reading Salvatore with this series, however, would recommend that you instead begin with The Dark Elf Trilogy if you want to read them in chronological order.

After Drizzt leaves the underworld, he finds himself in Icewinde Dale. Here he meets his best friends and new "family"- Bruenor, Cattie-brie, Wolfgar, and Regis. They battle foes together and end up reclaiming Mithral Hall, the kingdom of Bruenor's ancestors, the Battlehammer Clan.

The next series is Legacy of the Drow.

I believe th
Kime Chenault
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good fantasy story
It's been a couple of years since I've read it, but I still remember how much I loved it. I thought it was probably best three-book-series I have ever read. To tell the truth, I was sad when it was over.
The story-lines and plots are great. They're thought out and entertaining to read. It's also not all that easy to guess what's going to happen next as it is in some books.
The writing style itself just sucks you in, I didn't want to put the book down once when I read it, but sadly, my teachers di
Josh
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing fantasy adventure taking place in the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms universe. This series starting with this set of three books is in my top five series ever. I have only started reading them recently and have already gone through the first nine books, including the three in this collection. I recommend getting the collector's editions, as they not only put the books together, but also add commentary from the series' main character Drizzt Do'Urden, which add a great deal to the s ...more
Jane
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of reading the Dark Elf trilogy first and really enjoyed it, then I turned to this - the Icewind Dale trilogy - and wondered what the hell happened? That's when I learned that this set was actually written first which might explain why the writing was so bad here. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it any better if I'd started with this set, but at least I wouldn't have been so disappointed in seeing my beloved Drizzt turned into a cardboard character.

The rest of the characters
Sjoerd
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
It's been almost a year since I started reading The Icewind Dale Trilogy, and it's one of the few books of which I've actually tracked my reading progress with written updates several times. Now that I've finished reading and can look back at the book as a whole, I must say it's been an extraordinary read. Maybe it's because the book was published so long ago that the writing style between then and now has changed sufficiently for a contemporary reader to feel that way, but I think there's more ...more
Mars
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
book 1:
Much like the games, it's a hack-n-slash with bits of "oh, i would really rather go party it up, but i should rescue the villagers first" morality, but despite a certain amount of cheesiness practically required by all the D&D-based books, this one was surprisingly entertaining. Demons (just one, really), dragons (also just one), orcs and giants (plenty), and more!

Inspired me enough that I went and installed Icewind Dale the computer game, so it's reasonable to assume that my NaNo no
Jack Tyler
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sword & Sorcery Buffs
This is the trilogy that started my love affair with the adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden. I was not there from the beginning, but came upon this almost accidentally. It has been about a decade since I found this book, and I truthfully don't remember what led me to it, but Drizzt and his loyal, steadfast friends quickly became my favorite characters in literature. I have "only" rated this at four stars because no one is going to mistake it for Great Literature. What it is is a wonderful escapist re ...more
JD
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: D&D fans
Shelves: fantasy
This trilogy introduces the five main characters that the reader will follow throughout most of RA Salvatore’s works. Drizzt Do’Urden – the mostly shunned drow elf ranger that lives on the surface and tries to live down the well deserved evil reputation of his race. His companion, Gwenhyvar, a magnificent giant panther magically brought to him in times of need. The surly, old dwarf Bruenor Battlehammer that loves his friends dearly. Cattie-Brie Battlehammer, the beautiful dwarf raised human girl ...more
Netanella
I started this trilogy as soon as I finished "The Dark Elf Trilogy" but quickly bogged down on the Dale. This trilogy includes the novels "The Crystal Shard," "Streams of Silver," and "The Halfling's Gem." They were nowhere near as addicting as the chronologically earlier work, perhaps because Drizzt does not appear to be as fully fleshed out. Be that as it may, I enjoyed these novels and would recommend them to anyone who loves a good story.
Bryan
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't like the fantasy classics? This was one of my first reads in the fantasy genre when I was younger and has helped to create the addiction I have to this day.
brian tanabe
Sep 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of the top 5 fantasy writers of all time. And this is his best series. One of the more violent series, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in fantasy.
David Phipps
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy
This is the first Forgotten Realms trilogy that Salvatore wrote and the one that introduced the drow ranger Drizzt Do'Urden. These are 1980's fantasy books that are heavily influenced by D&D, much like the DragonLance series, as they are set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. There is very little focus on romance and very few female characters. I'm pretty sure I have not read these before despite owning them for who knows how long. It was interesting for the companions to visit variou ...more
Kevin Price
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first Salvatore book was The Dark Elf Trilogy, which happens to be the prequel to this trilogy. For the record, before I go any further, I'd like to suggest that all newcomers to the Drizzt series read The Dark Elf Trilogy before reading Icewind Dale. Some may disagree because of the fact that Icewind Dale was written first, but I personally couldn't imagine reading the events out of order..that would be weird and annoying.

Anywho, I enjoyed this trilogy very much; each book takes you on an ep
Joseph Gallegos
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Karl Gregar
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore is a fantasy series. I chose this book because both of my brothers and my father read and enjoyed it. I do not normally read fantasy. I recently read the Eragon series and enjoyed it as well, so I think that I will get into fantasy a lot more. I have seriously enjoyed how reading a fantasy book seems to take you to the place and make you feel like a part of the book. With fantasy, I can get into the books faster and feel more immersed. I don't normally ...more
Damien Rappuhn
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The publisher really must think poorly of its readers to publish a special "Collector's Edition" and yet to slather the pages with typos, misprints, errors, and formatting mistakes.

Anyhow, annoying details aside--this is obviously Salvatore's earliest work in the series, and generally, as a writer. It shows. But its simplicity (and almost naivety, in terms of what the reader needs) is quaint, and helps it to be read quickly. You can blast through these pages really fast, if you (like me) are hop
Tyler
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The trilogy wasn't the most memorable that I've read, but that's not to say it wasn't excellent. I'm not absolutely certain of this, but it seems to me that by the time the series was finished Drizzt's story was still in it's infancy, and I think the books reflect that. Altogether an enjoyable story. It just felt a little lacking when compared to the other stories of the legendary Dark Elf I've read by Salvatore.
Jason Weber
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read! These were three more incredibly fun stories that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre. These three had more of a Lord of the Rings feel than the first three Drizzt books, but that’s not a bad thing. The first book in this collection, The Crystal Shard, should seriously be made into an epic movie or series! And then maybe the others as well. Looking forward to reading the Drizzt series for many years.
Lisa
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am really sad how much this felt like a slog. There were so many characters, changing locations, and fight scenes that I felt I was missing any character development or connection to the story or characters. I now understand why I have put this book down multiple times before. I am really unsure if I will read any further in this world.
James
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read 200 page books that felt longer than this one, at about 1000 pages. Honestly one of the most compelling characters and set of companions I’ve ever read about. Can’t wait to read the next adventure. 100% you should read the first collection of books first. Drizzt Do’Urden may be the most fascinating character in all of writing. You won’t regret starting this book.
Jeff Jellets

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith.

When I was growing up, TSR and the Dungeons & Dragons brand filled the fantasy bookshelves. Looking back, a good deal of the dearth of those titles probably weren’t very good, but among them are some unarguable classics – the Dragonlance books obviously, Azure Bonds, some of the Ravenloft titles, and of course,
Doug
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Another masterpiece fantasy novel by a very talented storyteller and writer. This is my second 1000+ page book(3 books each) and the story of Drizzt and his traveling friends only gets better. Looking forward to the next 3 book 25th anniversary edition! Love these characters! Great read!😎
Jason
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how amazing are fantasy novels. Full of magic and incredible battles, and able to cleverly disguise a complete treatise on race relations. Absolutely brilliant! Drizzt is an amazing and complex character-don't let the veil of "fantasy" fool you-this set of books is amazing!
Fleur Swemmer
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read these books back in 2006 and I still remember the characters and that I absolutely enjoyed them.
Russ DeMaria
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drizzt's Philosophy and Morales and outlook on life should be what we all try to attain.
Brontosaurus
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Forgotten Realms 1 16 Dec 09, 2014 10:26AM

• R.A. Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen, Volume I: Dissolution, Insurrection, Condemnation
  • War of the Spider Queen Gift Set, Part II (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4-6)
  • Evermeet: Island of the Elves
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Cormyr
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • The Siege (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #2)
  • Midnight's Mask (Forgotten Realms: Erevis Cale, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Icewind Dale Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
“Icewind Dale. Windswept passes and forbidding glaciers stand at the top of the world. Below them, in the cold valley, an evil force broods: the magic of Crenshinibon, the Crystal Shard.

Now dwarf, barbarian, and drow elf join to battle this evil. Tempted in the furnace of struggle, they form an unbreakable friendship.

A legend is born.”
5 likes
“Where in the nine hells did you ever find the notion that I would fight fair?”
-Drizzt Do'Urden”