Start by marking “Blue Nile: Ethiopia's River of Magic and Mystery (Adventure Press)” as Want to Read:
Blue Nile: Ethiopia's River of Magic and Mystery (Adventure Press)

Blue Nile: Ethiopia's River of Magic and Mystery (Adventure Press)

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Offers an account of the author's experiences on a National Geographic expedition on the Blue Nile River through Ethiopia.
Published June 1st 2001 by National Geographic (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Nile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Nile

Unwisely
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This book starts out really interesting. History, culture, setting up an adventure. This actually takes about the first half of the book, and it's a page turner. (Ethiopia = interesting, dangit. See also Flashman on the March.)

But then they finally start on the journey, and that is actually the least interesting part of the book. The author spends quite a bit of effort setting up some sort of reality-show dynamic, where the reader is primed for some sort of horrible cataclysmic show down. This n
LindaN
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This account of the first continuous descent of the Blue Nile (partly a trek past the most serious rapids) conveys the excitement of the trip, the beauty of the land, and the charm of the people living along the river. A distraction is the continual mention of interpersonal clashes among the travelers--a less than professional touch to this otherwise excellent narrative. There is much background info on geology, flora and fauna, agriculture, early explorations of the river, and Ethiopian politic ...more
Clare
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
It took me much longer to read this book than it did for the author to make the journey down the Blue Nile. However, it was not because it was a laborious text. I found the parts explaining some of Ethiopia's history most interesting as well as the descriptions of the people the boating members met along the way and the descriptions of a few customs and legends. The parts of the book where just scenery is talked about was a bit repetitive (probably because the flora was just that), but overall i ...more
Tara
Nov 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I feel like it should be worth reading, but the writing style is difficult to get engrossed in.
She seems to be telling you "stuff that happened" rather than sitting you down for a story.
That's nice and all, but after a Masters, I don't want to go through it again.
If you can forge through it, it gets better about 27% in; but I warn you, perseverance is a necessity.
Roykate
I read this right before our trip to Ethiopia. Amazing story of a river rafting trip from source to sea on the Nile River. Beautiful stories about beautiful people in a beautiful country. A must read.
Curtiss
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
The story of a modern day trip down the Blue Nile from its source in the mountains of Ethiopia to is conjunction with the White Nile at Khartoum; spiced up with a history of the exploration of the river and the surrounding region.
Diane
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this because it was the only adult book in the Library that
was about Ethiopia. I wanted to read something about Ethiopia after reading "Cutting for Stone".
It was interesting and I enjoyed reading it.
Lea
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Exciting and informative. What an adventure. I had no idea that this river was so mysterious and away from tourists. I know that I could never do this trip, but I felt like I was there with Ginny!!
Matthew Turnbull
Badly written in many parts and conversions in miles to km is embarrassing oversight. She writes like she's constantly throwing toys out of the pram. Some of it is a good account and she paints a picture of encounters well.
Philip
Mar 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
A bit week and naive I thought. I like the book but as a safari guide, I thought she was a little unappreciative of the guides commitment to getting them home safely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Virginia Morell is an acclaimed science journalist and author. A contributing correspondent for Science, she has covered evolutionary and conservation biology since 1990. A passionate lover of the natural world and a creative thinker, her reporting keeps her in close communications with leading scientists in her fields of interest. Morell is also a regular contributor to National Geographic and Co ...more
More about Virginia Morell...