Start by marking “Cents And Sensibility” as Want to Read:
Cents And Sensibility

Cents And Sensibility

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,089 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Stella Fain has a rule for men she likes: make them wait ... But the gorgeous Jay proves an exception to the rule when he bowls Stella off her Prada wedges at a press junket on the Cote d'Azur. He might seem to have everything going for him, but Stella is about to realize that there's only thing worse than having a boyfriend with no money ... and that's having one with too ...more
Published 2006 by penguin books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cents And Sensibility, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cents And Sensibility

Cara
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favourite chick lit book of all time. Light and fluffy, yes, but I love the complex structure of Stella's family and the way she relates to her various parents, siblings, step siblings and semi-steps, as she calls them. Lots of hot guys after her of course, and completely implausible events, but I love it!
Lark
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Bronwyn Rykiert
I really enjoyed this story of Stella Fein, newspaper journalist and daughter of a renowned achitect who she affectionately called HAM. Stella meets Jay Fisher at a launch she had been invited to in her capacity as a journalist - she had no idea who he was. After a particularly bad week at work she took off to join Jay in the US and they spent an idylic 5 weeks together before she was called home because of a crises at work. Jay did not want her to go and he gave her a choice - him or her job - ...more
Larelle
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really love Alderson's writing style. She has a very easy but vivid story-telling technique, in a way that makes you feel very much a part of the plot.

It's a bit girly-girly romance in places, and a bit sexy in places (good descriptions of nice, manly bodies and the like).

Really liked Stella Fain as a character and with her very extended, messed up family, there was a wealth of characters to get to know and like.

A nice fairytale ending, but not in a traditional sense. I could see it coming, b
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorenzio Phillibuster by: Amy Ferguson
I enjoyed reading about Stella's family, especially her father's work in architecture, but I didn't care much for Jay, I felt he was a very flat character without much personality.
Lady Lavin
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly stunning book that is far from predictable.
Claire
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just didn't believe the characters, the plot and definitely not the ending. Stella is our heroine but she's just as fake as the rest.
Sharon Metcalf
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-2015
Another $1 treasure. So glad I didn't write Maggie Alderson off after that first story didn't fully grab me. I enjoyed this one immensely and didn't want to stop reading until the story was done. In the context of the genre this was delightfully predictable but after reading god only knows how many of it's type, I'm obviously still not tiring of the format. The story was primarily about Stella, her family, her career and her love life. As the oldest child of Lord Henry Montecourt Fain (Ham), Ste ...more
Urszula
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This was a very quick read. The topic was funny and the characters likable. From time to time I was getting lost in all the brothers, sisters, half siblings, ex wifes etc.

The setting was something I am not familiar with. The high end of the shopping market, and people with more money that they can spend.

The moral of this story is that it does not matter how much money you have, what matters is tha you don't waste your life away.
Salmacis
Feb 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was one of the most stupid books I've read in my life!
I usually never drop any book once I start reading, so I finished this one too, but when I did, all I could think was: what a waste of time!
Ok, I understand all the point but just cannot believe how the heroine character is false and poorly developed. Very shallow,actually. She despises all material things she has to write about for her job, but at the same time, in every minute of her time, since she wakes up till she goes to sleep, she
Caroline Gordon
As a big fan of Maggie's column in the Good Weekend, I couldn't resist picking this up. Her column is a wonderful blend of fashion, humour and philosohpy of life so I expected similar here. I was a little disappointed on the first page to discover it was about a journalist and her fickle love life, but I needn't have worried. This is a thoroughly modern girl and despite the formulaic nature of the plot she did win me over. I won't spoil the ending, you'll be guessing right to the end who she wil ...more
ah li
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
excellent book with humor, sadness and love, was expecting something along the lines of shopaholic when i first saw the title, but hola, something totally different. Something from a lady's viewpoint which is extremely nice, and stella is not the normal person who is all over luxury brand so i thought it was quite unexpected character in the book. I think its a good book guys to read to understand ladies viewpoint, a totally unexpected conclusion but heartwarming and sweet in the end
Nice present
Kat Walter
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Not the sort of book I would normally read - was given to me as a gift. Not my favourite book, by far, but not the worst I've ever read either. There were parts of it that I enjoyed - the relationship she had with her family, for instance, but there were a lot of parts that didn't really appeal to me, simply because it's not my normal type of book. I admittedly haven't read the classic that this modernization is based on, but enjoying a little Jane Austin as I do, it has inspired me to read the ...more
Alethea
The book follows Stella as she works out what guy she wants to date - rich boy Jay, her fun colleague Ned or not related by blood stepbrother Alex while she works at a newspaper as the luxury brand reporter and copes with her crazy family of step and half brothers and sisters, ex mothers and her father. This is pure indulgent chick lit, a world which is totally unlike my own which I like to visit from time to time. However there was some interest for me in the descriptions of the architecture wh ...more
Cindy
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not sure about this one. I loved the complicated family - maybe if the book had been about the Stella growing up through the ex wives? I liked HAM as a character. What I didn't enjoy was the money. Stella is clearly from a wealthy family and so it was a bit... Fake of her to see jays money as such a huge obstacle. It was very middle class and posh. I felt a bit alienated by the posh and bizarre family weekends.
Courtney
Dec 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, audio
I'm about 1/2 through listening to this one. It's ok. Funny at times, but not fabulous. I keep hoping the excitement will pick up a little, but I'm thinking it's not gonna happen.

Update:
Ok, so after I posted my first comment, the book got better. It actually turned out pretty cute by the end. I would definitely listen to another book by Alderson.
Kathi
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Mind numbingly terrible. Flat characters who I could feel NOTHING for, they were ALL so self absorbed. ERGH! Poor poor serious journo masquerading as a luxury feature writer with a cartoon character for a dad and a boring, brat of a boyfriend. Grow up EVERYONE - this sort of novel done well is escapism - done badly its purile crap.
Denise
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like Maggie Alderson's style of writing. It reads like your best friend is sitting next to you telling a story. Yes, it has the "you have got to be joking" coincidence moments in it, but remember it is fiction! Read it in one session because it was a cold, windy day and I wanted some chick lit to balance out the crime thriller I am reading as well!
Amanda
I admit that I am not a fan of the chick lit genre because I usually find them too fluffy or too far fetched, which is why I tend to stay away from them. However this book was good. Nice story, not far fetched and I enjoyed it. I just think it could have been a little bit stronger towards the end of the story.
Faith Hugo
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I struggled to put this book down, it kept me reading into the early hours of the morning. A nice little escape into Stella's world, where a reader can experience someone else's problems for a change. This book was an easy read and a nice distraction.
Tracy
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Boring chick lit - following the usual script. A real disappointment.
Check out my www.ourbookclub.net.au full review at
Cents and Sensibility
Karen
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is undoubtedly one of my favourite books by Maggie Alderson. She has such a way with words and in Cents & Sensibility, she's really brought all the characters into life. It's not a book just about romance, but it's also about family.
Michelle
Dumb title, great read. One of the finest chick-lits I've read in a while... I even forgive the predictable ending!
Sara
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I Love Maggies Books They Make me Laugh!
Miette
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a 2 and a half star book. Could be picky about a number of things but if you just go along with it, it's a pleasant read.
janie love
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
goood
Georgia Norfolk
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
a great read full of romance and family "values"
Kasia
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Beach/ airplane read.
Georgina
Jul 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Fun and frothy, and a little unexpected. I'm enjoying Maggie at the moment.
Sherry
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Light fluffy and fun. No brainer.
  • Not That Kind Of Girl
  • The Paradise Room
  • Altar Ego
  • Forbidden Places
  • Threepenny Dreams
  • Die Mütter-Mafia (Mütter-Mafia, #1)
  • Bad Behaviour
  • The Consequences of Marriage
Maggie Alderson is a British-Australian author (that’s what I’m supposed to say, but I’m not very good at writing about myself in the third person, so I’m going to can it).

I was born in London, brought up in rural Staffordshire, and educated at the University of St Andrews - and then at the University of Life, Sydney campus.

I spent many years covering the fashion shows in Paris, Milan, London et
More about Maggie Alderson...
“Men are appalling.. We never really grow up, well not on the inside. It's all just an act. Don't ever trust men, we're dreadful. Enjoy us, use us, abuse us, but never trust us." - HAM” 3 likes