Start by marking “The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past” as Want to Read:
The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past

The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past

Compared to Stephen Covey and Tony Robbins as a visionary thinker, Dan Sullivan brings practical, powerful new approaches to success in life and business. "The Laws of Lifetime Growth outlines ten "laws" that give readers an internal framework for taking charge of their future. All it takes to use each of these laws is a slight shift in thinking, which anyone -- regardless ...more
Published January 19th 2006 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Laws of Lifetime Growth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Laws of Lifetime Growth

Start your review of The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
Marcus
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
10 'laws' that have some good examples in the book, but have a few too many references to 'Dan Sullivan, Strategic Coach'.

Some very well made points but perhaps could have been summarised down to about 5 instead
* be a lifetime learner / keep asking questions
* Keep to your purpose
* Look to contribute and perform rather than the reward or accolades
* Team and people are the key to your personal success
Emily D
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: purpose
A concise and helpful way of thinking about the principles behind servant leadership. Covey's framework in Seven Habits is more memorable and (I am so sorry) MECE, so I'd probably recommend that one over The Laws of Lifetime Growth.
Mark Manderson
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Everything looks like failure in the middle. The most successful entrepreneurs know this so they don't stopuntil the end.

Always make your contributions bigger than your Rewards.

Always make your gratitude larger than your success.

Be proactive with your gratitude. That is given before it is deserved.

Use Sprint to break down large tasks into manageable goals with deadlines and then turn it into a game with Rewards.

Always make your purpose greater than your money.

Ask questions to genuinely know the
Anders Dejeet
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you come across a book that changes your life. This short simple yet profound book has transformed the way I look at personal growth and has given me a practical approach to implement the principles of another book I am reading, Carol Dweck’s ‘Mindset’.
This will be added to the limited shelf of books like the classics ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’ by Dale Carnegie and ‘The Five Love Languages’ by Gary Chapman and a handful of others that I am committed to reading at least
Staci
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an okay book, rather short and even shorter if you don't include the examples given with each "law". The laws seem pretty solid though, and something to focus on, particularly the way they are written: "Make Your 'A' Bigger/Greater Than Your 'B'; some good A-B pairs from the book are Future-Past, Learning-Experience and Cooperation-Status. A decent book but not awe-inspiring.
Nick
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Avoid the cliché of “personal growth” books with this concise, directed guide to measuring and improving growth. By providing 10 clear perspectives on what growth can mean, it provides a structure to assess and expand one’s abilities and contributions, and move past plateaus by providing new ways of thinking about lifetime growth. Recommended.
Jesse Stoddard
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dan Sullivan is a genius in the area of entrepreneurial coaching and training. This is another short and sweet book from the world of Strategic Coach, which shares great principles and mindsets to help you live healthy, wealthy, and wise.
Nopadol Rompho
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favourite
This book is about how we can make our future bigger than our past. It is how we grow. Good book and easy to read.
David Rowe
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I read it a few times and will probably read it again!
Joel Stockstill
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great concept

I really enjoyed this book. The concept is great but the actual breakdown of material is a little less than desired.
Rebecca
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
The worship arts team leaders at my church read this book as a group. In general, I don't really go for self-improvement books.

However, I am at a point in my life where I'm evaluating the progress I've made over the last few years, and trying to figure out what to do next. As such, the theme of lifetime growth espoused in this book really resonated with me.

Coming off of a huge career high last summer, I found encouragement in the idea that "it's possible to have a bigger future [than your
Sheriff Mansaray
This is a very interesting book; it has important life stories and laws that will help anyone regardless of age or income to grow. I want to be someone in life that do not want to depend on anyone for anything, and this ten simple rules in this book will help go a long way. Reading this book and follow it rules, they will help you discover some of the abilities you never thought you have in life. This book also includes some example and self assessment on how to measure your performance on each ...more
Roger K.
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a short yet impactful book. There's a slight bit of "blog series extended to a book" vibe to it, but the points are succinct and form a nice structure:

* Make my future bigger than my past
* Make my learning greater than my experience
* Make my contribution bigger than my reward
* Make my performance greater than my applause
* Make my gratitude greater than my success
* Make my enjoyment greater than my effort
* Make my cooperation greater than my status
* Make my confidence greater than
Millsfredo
This is the first book I have ever read by Dan Sullivan. I picked up this book at a stage in which I felt that my progress was slow and stagnating.

The Laws of Lifetime Growth will provide ideas and suggestions for growing in various aspects of your life. So if you need that 'push' to move on or scale a higher level in your career, make this a 'must read' and begin to 'Make Your Future Bigger than Your Past'
David
Dec 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Sullivan is a master of simplifying lives. He specializes in doing this for the very complex and jumbled lives of entrepreneurs, but this is a prime example of how so much of what he coaches on is applicable to everybody. Use these ten laws to find yourself constantly achieving growth, personally and professionally. It is a very rewarding read.
Jim Marsh
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The book outlines 10 laws for Lifetime Growth, which are values one should have in order to be continually improving and trying to develop one’s talents.

The laws are pretty straight forward, and while I can’t think of anything that really stood out from other similar books, it did a solid job of outlining those things that we should all be doing.
Brian Howard
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was phenomenal! I was expecting your usual self help success book, but this was so much more. It was focused not only on personal success, but also success in making the world a better place. It was about making personal growth the goal and personal success the bi-product. I highly recommend!
Gina
I received this book as a First Read. It provides good tips and stories about how to grow as a person. It focuses on learning, gratitude, cooperation, confidence, and purpose. It has useful questions to ask yourself to help guide you in growing. The chart at the end of the book is particularly helpful for setting goals for growth and charting progress.
John
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an interesting book that I have to say I enjoyed. After reading all the
other reviews I can only say that all the 4+ Star review are all spot on! I would rate it
a solid 4.5 Stars. I won this great book on GoodReads and like I do with most my wins I will be paying it forward by giving my win either to a friend or library to enjoy
Dzung Vuong
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
There are 10 laws related to lifetime growth with plenty of stories and examples.

The challenge I have is that there is no story or image that registered in my mind after reading the book.

May be when I read it again it'll be different.
C. Spencer Reynolds
This book only took us 5 weeks to read on the calls, but it was GREAT! This is kind of book you could revisit every year in one sitting and get a great reminder of why to keep your brain learning and growing constantly! Highly recommend reading this one!
Sherrie Rohde
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has so many good points and applicable/relatable examples of how to keep growing in life and avoid the endless traps of being stuck in your present/past. I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to keep moving forward in life.
Angela Gentile
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This is an easy-to-read book that describes ten principles for personal growth, at any age. At the end of each chapter the authors provide two easy-to-implement steps for change. Good book for entrepreneurs or anyone interested in moving forward in life, versus stagnating.
Taylor
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
You can read this in one sitting, it’s straightforward, and the laws are profound. Easy 5 stars.
Gary
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book. Just when you thought you had everything you needed to succeed!
John
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well thought out so your focus can be on your life instead of always being in your life
Gabriel Castellanos
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to grow
Shelves: self-development
Excellent book to focus on your personal growth, make your future better than you past, make your performance better than your applause...
Charles M.
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Yet another 10 step self help on to a better professional/business life.
Devin Partlow
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is nothing more than a bunch of IG quotes
Jason Jay
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This book can really change your perspective and help improve your life. The principles are simple, application could take a lifetime-or more.

• Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
  • Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life
  • How to Lie with Statistics
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches
  • The Master Key System
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • When Violence Is the Answer: Learning How to Do What It Takes When Your Life Is at Stake
  • 3 Seconds: The Power of Thinking Twice
  • Success Forces
  • War as I Knew It
  • Shaken: Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life's Storms
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)