Start by marking “Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence” as Want to Read:
Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence

Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence

Sooner or later, we are all called to lead in some capacity. Leadership skills are vital in corporate settings, small businesses, church or community organizations, and even within the home. Chris Brady and Orrin Woodward have recognized this need and have jointly created an in-depth, step-by-step guide for developing leadership skills.

Utilizing an abundance of historical
Published October 22nd 2007 by Business Plus (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Launching a Leadership Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Launching a Leadership Revolution

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsRich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Best Business Books
788 books — 1,527 voters
Confidence of a Champion by Tim MarksResolved by Orrin WoodwardFinancial Fitness by Chris BradyToughen Up! by Claude HamiltonLaunching a Leadership Revolution by Chris Brady
LIFE Published
32 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
Gene Babon
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
This book is my early favorite for Best Business Book of the 2008. It also wins my prestigious Yellow Highlighter Award -- I have highlights and stars on virtually every page!

The authors walk readers through The Five Levels of Influence:

Level 1 Leaders are only as good as what they learn.

Level 2 Leaders are only as good as their personal performance.

Level 3 Leaders are only as good as the performance of their team.

Level 4 Leaders are only as good as the performance of their leaders.

Level 5 Leade
Mark Sturgell
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to develop their leadership influence and results
I have an extensive and continually growing library of leadership, having read dozens (at least) of books on the subject. Launching a Leadership Revolution is definitely among the very best and most comprehensive, achieving what few do: balancing theory with application (the art and science of leadership).

The book is organized well, using simple descriptive chapter headings that are helpful and true, like "What a Leader Is," "What a Leader Does," "How a Leader Grows in Influence," and memorable
Jen
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm surprised by all the rave reviews this has gotten. While it has some good points, it struck me as a lot of rehashing of previously rehashed concepts. That rehashing seems to be a constant in leadership books, as is what I have come to think of as quote-itis, which this book is seriously guilty of (even lists two books of quotes in the bibliography at the back). To me, those two things make for a poor quality read. They could easily have cut this book to half the length without taking out any ...more
Zach Lane
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I read a lot of leadership as well as work in a leadership role and I find the content of this book very applicable. Most leadership books, though very well written, talk mostly about theory but Launching a Leadership Revolution is the best leadership book I've read to date with applicability. It is very realistic and down to earth.

The way they structured the 5 levels of leadership influence is amazing. I love they fact that they start with a "learner" because most
Mark
Dec 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
It is hard to put into words. What I dislike about this book. But, mostly it is the author's heavy usage of biblical references. If I wanted to learn about the bible I would have brought a bible.
Omar Halabieh
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Below are key excerpts that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Leadership ability is a lot like the drilling equipment used by Yates and his partners to discover the richness of oil that already existed beneath him. Each of us; has a natural wellspring of talent and ability buried within. The drill of leadership is required to tap into the geyser of our potential. As with Yates's drilling equipment, leadership ability will take effort to attain, but the rewards are incalculable."

2- "We wrote th
JR Carver
This book was a #1 New York Times Best Seller and is frequently cited amongst leadership books, trainings, seminars, etc. Inc Magazine rated both authors in their “Top 50 Leadership and Management Experts” and this list even considered people who are deceased (such as Dale Carnegie, Stephen Covey, etc.). The success of this book led to developing a corporate training course based on the teachings in this book. The LLR Corporate training is a 6-month leadership training program targeting training ...more
Roy
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Always interesting, but I don't feel like it was very well thought out at the first. I feel like this book should be targeted toward those who either fancy themselves as leaders or want seriously to develop the best traits of a leader. The inordinate amount of time spent defining the word leader and depths went about preparing to become one says to me that it wasn't targeted to that group. Once it got to the promised topic though, it was really good. The stories backing up their "steps" were wel ...more
Easton
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT! It really assists the aspiring leader in all of us where ever we are on our path. This book isn't just about leading, it is about servant-based leadership, excellence-based leadership and LEGACY-based leadership.

I am privileged to be associated with these two men of genius AND character. You can't write this book without having experience in all levels.

Chris and Orrin, you are LEVEL 5 in my book. You ARE leaving a legacy. I am proud to follow you as you lead into a brighter, freer f
Heather Mansel
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable and insightful book acknowledging the need for leadership in every area of life to impact life itself. We have sat by too long handing leadership to a select few and watching our nation be lead away from freedom. To really embrace the freedoms our nation was founded on, we must again learn to lead, ourselves, our homes, our communities and beyond. This is a well written book that will inspire many to join the revolution for good.
Brandon Perry
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book in addition to the original LLR book. Loved all the questions in each chapter that made you think through what you were learning, where you were already seeing examples of it and how you can apply it to moving forward in your leadership journey. Workbooks are underrated in our learning culture today, this allows you to not just read through it and say wow what a great book, but this book teaches you to think on a deeper level towards your journey.
Justin
Aug 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
While the book outlines a definition of leadership, it's continued reference of other definitions of leadership detract from the main message. Moreover, the book's case studies seem shallow and uninspired.
Nelly Habib
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I started it with enthusiasm and the best intentions, only to find myself exerting lots of effort and exercising much patience to finish it, hardly making it to page 191 and just unable to continue. What i really did not like was that the book was not inspiring at all ! a book about leadership needs to be inspiring to pull you in which was not the case! starting from the writing style that felt like rehearsing best practices one after the other, without any met ...more
Rhonda Sue
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. This is an excellent leadership book by two thoughtful authors. The book has wonderful examples of leaders throughout history and expands on works of leadership gurus such as Jim Collins and Stephen Covey-two outstanding leaders in the field.

They start with foundational qualities: Hungry, Hone-able, and Honorable and then cover the Cycle of Achievement which includes: Vision, Goal Setting, Game Planning, Working, and Seeking Counsel. Also required are character, tasks, and relat
Richard Angelus
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Soon or later, we are all called upon to lead." WHEN that time comes, WILL you be ready? That's a good question, right? It's not that you are not going to lead and you don't need to learn how to lead – you will lead most of the time. You're either a good leader or a bad one. No in-between. Might as well, learn to lead well, right? This book will make a difference in your leadership life 📖😉

To read my (somewhat) review of "Launching A Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
Matthew
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5. This book is an excellent resource for anyone studying motivation and leadership. I really enjoyed the historical examples, Ben Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt, Napoleon, Paul, etc. Having read my share of books on this topic, many ideas are redundant, but it was an excellent refresher, carrying many new and insightful ideas and quotes I had not heard before. Strongly recommended for anyone in leadership or about to embark into a new project.
Arnaud Kuhlein
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Behind the simple concept of leadership hides the depth and complexity of human nature. Most people think they understand leadership well. But they understand nothing.

Read this book and set yourself on your own leadership journey. This world needs leaders.

Inspire yourself, and you will inspire others.

A pleasant read!
Barry
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I really liked the message of the book using the five steps. It’s a great reference with questions to challenge your thoughts as you read the book. Would highly recommend! Chris Brady, co-author, is also an entertaining public speaker!
Bob Pollock
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece by Chris Brady and Orrin Woodward. It's no wonder they have been such a huge success in both network marketing and direct sales. This book is well put together and easy to follow. It's the third time I've read it and I probably will, again.
Logan Streondj
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspiring books I've ever read. Main takeaways is than a leader must be a lifelong learner, humble, forgiving and compassionate, finding ways to be grateful to those around them, teaching others to lead and surrounding themselves with leaders greater than themselves.
John
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: un-finished
I didn't make it through all 5 levels. Oh well. Maybe next time.
Lisa Stevens
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It is good as a nice reminder to stay focused on your goals to have good leadership skills, but to me it still reads as corporate propaganda.
Robert
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing

In their Introduction, Chris Brady and Orrin Woodward assert that “Each of us has a natural wellspring of talent and ability buried within. The drill of leadership [like what is used to drill for oil] is required to tap into the geyser of our potential…leadership ability will take effort to attain, but the rewards are incalculable.” Then they suggest that, just as all forest fires start with a tiny spark, “all revolutions start as small rebellions. The root cause can be traced back to a single i
Nate
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one who aspires to improve themselves.
What I learned from this book is that it is a quick and easy way for me to evaluate where I am in life and identifies a roadmap how to get what I want from life.

My personal mission statement is as follows " Success to me means having a happy and productive family full of love, integrity and character to the highest degree. I am viewed as an individual who has inspired others to find there fullest purpose in life and go after there dreams in the eyes of God."

The quote " I am not yet where I want
Jim Dressner
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I haven't read much leadership literature in the past several years, so I don't have much to compare this to. It is readable, practical, encouraging, and wise-sounding. Some chapters are more insightful than others, so the read is a bit uneven.

The leadership analysis and advice is good and helpful, but I'm trying to figure out how I can actually retain it. I wish it had a short summary included, like in Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard.

While I agree with the stair metaphor in ge
David Garza
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to David by: TEAM
LLR is one of those books on leadership that needs to be read at regular intervals throughout one's career. It is a guidebook to how leaders develop, and how to raise up leaders in your wake, as you apply the principals personally and organizationally. I am inspired by the content and honored to know the authors, who have created leader after leader in their wake (of which I hope to become one).

(Initial reading) Seriously one of the best books on leadership I've ever read. At a minimum, there is
James
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in its first printing somewhere in the warm months of 2006. The date is written into the front cover, but I don't know where that copy is now. It is safe to say it was before October of 2006. The hardcover edition is on my desk at home & in my office at work. It is a book that I recommend and reference and am now re-reading from cover to cover.

It is a great summary of many of the best parts of other great books. It is also unique in its application through story & real life exp
Brandon Perry
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite book on leadership to revisit. Especially in the 5 Levels of Leadership. A great area to study to help your leadership growth journey. Understanding where you are, and where you would like to head. Not sure you could study those 5 levels enough.

Continued to be amazed how you can go back and find new things after reading this almost 10 times. Highly recommend those on the leadership journey to visit and re-visit this book often to check your scoreboard on leadership. It's ever
Jary Welker
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent step by step treatment of building and growing a leadership team. The best of the best leaders are those that epitomize the leadership skills of Andrew Carnegie who chose as his own headstone the words, 'A man who knew how to enlist in his service better men than himself.' To be the very most effective leader it is not enough to learn now to obtain followers but rather to find men and women capable of finding and developing leaders who can develop other leaders. Then, a ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brady and Woodward expand on the concept of levels of leadership discussed in books like From Good to Great. Their 5 levels are: Learning, Performing, Leading, Developing Leaders, and Developing Leaders Who Develop Leaders. They describe each level through presuppositions (the "art") and actions (the "science"), followed by a historical example. With continuous references to other books in this genre and constant use of quotes and anecdotes by well-known leaders, this book approaches a survey of ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Leadership: Transform your workforce into an army of engaged, contributing, go-to leaders 1 2 Oct 17, 2014 01:40AM
Business: Leadership 1 18 Jun 29, 2014 12:25PM

• How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude... and You Change Your Life!
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • See You at the Top: 25th Anniversary Edition
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others
  • Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court
  • First Things First
Chris Brady is a NY Times best-selling author, speaker, humorist, and businessman. His books include Launching a Leadership Revolution (co-authored with Orrin Woodward), PAiLS, Rascal, A Month of Italy, Leadership Lessons from the Age of Fighting Sail, and several other titles on leadership and success. Over 1 million of his books have been sold in six languages.

Chris is CEO and Creative Director