Start by marking “Tail Spin (FBI Thrillers, #12)” as Want to Read:
Tail Spin (FBI Thrillers, #12)

Tail Spin (FBI Thriller #12)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  7,547 Ratings  ·  450 Reviews
When a fellow agent's plane crashes deep in the Appalachian Mountains, married FBI agents Savich and Sherlock find the pilot and his passenger alive. But that's just the beginning of a case that plummets them into a whirlwind of vicious murder attempts, powerful suspects, political secrets, and escalating terror.
Published July 7th 2009 by Berkley Books (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tail Spin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tail Spin

Anna
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want you to read this book.

No, seriously. Read this book.

And whenever they refer to Rachael's braid, hear my voice saying, "What the fuck is UP with the stupid braid?!" They mention it so much that I wonder if that is actually a signal to men that you're attractive. Is that what a braid does? Because all I remember about Rachael is that she has a stupid braid that EVERYONE looks at.

Supposedly it's sexy. I'm trying to figure out what the hell a sexy braid looks like and how a male character, w
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
An intense and gritty story of pride and downfall. The latest in Catherine Coulter's FBI series, "TailSpin" is two stories told at once. A shrink to the 'Washington movers and shakers' is struck with an illness that results in him blurting out his clients secrets. Apparently one of them has decided the doctor's death is the best solution. Special Agent Jackson Crowne is flying the doctor to safety when their small plane goes down in a remote area of Kentucky. Their female savior is a woman runni ...more
Leanna
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Coulter’s TailSpin brings back Special Agents Savich and Sherlock, regulars in Coutler’s FBI Thriller series. This time, they are investigating two crimes. Dr. MacLean is a well-known psychiatrist; Rachael Abbott is a former senator’s lovechild. Both are being targeted by assassins, though apparently not the same ones.

I’ve enjoyed Coulter’s series in the past, and I love an occasional brainless read. This time, though, I was not wrapped up in the story. Instead, I was constantly irrita
Sue
Jul 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
More of a romance then a mystery - very cliched, since I bought it (the premise was very interesting), I thought I had better read it but had to force myself to do it. The entire plot was unbelievable once I started reading it! Very disappointing!
Jodi
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, ala-signed
Despite the excellent (though occassionally over-emoted reading by the male reader) multi-voice reading that was nearly seamless in its production, the absurd plot dragged it down. I read The Maze, book 1 in this series, many years ago. Liked it but didn't feel the need to continue. Nevertheless, I remembered Agents Sherlock and Savich and it was nice to read about them again. That was the only redeeming quality of the book. It wasn't that Rachel and Jack were a bad pair, it's just that they did ...more
Jen
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was definitely disappointed in this one. I've always enjoyed her books in the past, and especially the characters of Sherlock and Savich, but this one...the story wasn't very good and dragged out a lot. It almost seemed like she had a 400 page requirement she had to reach? I did finish it, primarily because I wanted to see what happened, but the ending wasn't very good, the characters didn't draw me in and the overall story wasn't very good.

Not sure I'll be reading more of hers...
Valerie
Jul 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book but just couldn't get into it. I really don't like the way Coulter writes. The dialogue just doesn't flow, and the characters say absurb things.
Melissa
Jul 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love her books, but I thought this was just horrible. I had to keep rereading certain paragraphs because she just threw thoughts in that made no sense to the storyline.
MB (What she read)
1/5/18 thoughts while re-reading:
It is ODD to read this book in lieu of current events. And to realize how unbelievable and inconceivable our current administration would have been to that 2008 reader. So far she's referred to D. Trump and his hair disparagingly several times. (Remember this was 2007-8 before his running for President was even remotely considered by anyone!)

Then, on page 194, she has Dillon Savich's boss and FBI Director Mueller tell Savich (and I quote) "Take care of it, Savi
Terry Odell
Beth
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay read. Her story lines are good, the characters are good, but the dialogue isn't natural and some of her details are incorporated into the story in an awkward fashion at times. Her storytelling process could be smoother and more natural. (It's hard to explain.)
Robin
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is a more recent favorite of mine. Her novels are fast-paced and very absorbing. This is only the second or third that I've read of hers, and I really like the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the other 9 or 10 in this series, and hopefully they're all as good!
I came by this book in an odd way. I was leaving Sams club in WV and pushing my cart into the rack and happened to glance down into the trash can there. Someone had thrown away three grocery sacks full of books. Being a book lover, I just couldn't leave those there, so like the trash digger that I am, I pulled them out and drove them back to Kentucky with me, intending to put them in a Little Free Library. I'm also always a little seduced by fate, so I felt the need to read one of the books at r ...more
David Ketelsen
May 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: non-critical romance fans
I received a free copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Oddly enough I liked this book somewhat despite its faults. And it's got a lot of faults. The story line is full of holes, the characters are 2-dimensional, the book has a crime novel plot with romance novel interludes...but at least I didn't see any misspelled words.

The book starts off with a splash when the main character is tossed into a lake in a murder attempt. She manages to survive, pulls herself out of the water, apparently
Stacy
Feb 02, 2009 marked it as books-i-lost-interest-in  ·  review of another edition
LibraryLass
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Absolutely solid 4.5 star Coulter book! Her last 2 outings in this series have left me somewhat flat. This one was great!
I love Sherlock and Savich and so it was awesome to have them be really involved in this book. This was very light on the romance side of things (the build up to 'love' between Jackson and Rachael was somewhat sporadic), but I never missed it (amazing for me as I usually HAVE to have romance in a book). This was a fast paced story that had me glued to the pages. The whole pre
Lorie
This actually would get about two and a half stars if possible. It's by far my least favorite of the FBI Thrillers. It seemed rushed and choppy, the story lines wrapped up much too neatly, and the dialogue seemed unnatural and stilted in places. The only reason I continued reading was because I like the long-standing characters (Savitch and Sherlock), but there wasn't really even any development there.
A disappointment over all. I hope the next one is back to Coulter's usual good standards, or I
Mary
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More than a brainless read. I was put off by much of the dialogue between characters. It did not appear to be the way intelligent people would be talking to each other. I have enjoyed the characters of Savich and Sherlock in Coulter's previous books but Tailspin left me wondering about the author's ability to write for an adult audience. I can say that if this had been the first Sherlock and Savich book I read, I would be disinclined to read any more. Hopefully Coulter had a very tight deadline ...more
Merredith
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mysteries
FBI Thriller series #12 wow we're getting up there. a woman running for her life because she's a dead senator's illegitamate daughter. fbi trying to protect her and also a famous psychologist who has been struck down with a type of dementia. the usual stuff. good story, nothing earth shattering or relating to any back stories happening in this book though. i enjoyed it and as always, look forward to the next.
Donna
Nov 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the characters, the story was a little far-fetched (this from someone who reads fantasy). However, when I read a contemporary novel, I expect it to be more realistic.
Jack Alexander
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good pace from beginning to end. The characters are a little thin, but the plot was twisted enough to keep it interesting.
Diane Perry
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't know how I missed reading this one before now, but it was very good. The Savich/Sherlock series never seems to disappoint. This was a true page turner all the way through.
Sherry
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/Mystery
Classic Coulter! A must read for Coulter fans on her FBI saga or anyone who enjoys suspense.
Theresa
I found this book at a museum gift shop in Texas and since it looked interesting, bought it. Now I’m going to have to go back and read the rest of the series.

I like how even though this is #12 of the series and the characters are well established with each other you don’t get lost trying to catch up. The details from the previous books aren’t in your face obvious, but subtle. Just enough let you know what going on.

Footnote: 1) I didn’t realize FBI agents made so much money they could afford a Po
Linda
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all of the FBI books and especially this one. Special Agent Jackson Crowe was protecting Dr. MacLean when his small airplane exploded over a dense forest in Kentucky when he lucked upon a clearing big enough to land the plane. His luck held out with the help of Rachel Gillette who just so happened to be there when he needed help and both he and his friend survived the crash. This was the start of an adventure for both Jack and Rachel trying to figure out who was trying to kill the ...more
Fredrick Danysh
FBI agents Savich and Sherlock are involved in two concurrent investigations. In one. Dr. MacLean has frontal lobe dementia which causes him to blurt out statements that can reveal the secrets of his patients and someone is trying to kill him. In the other, attempts are being made to kill the bastard daughter of a recently deceased US senator. This is a fast paced thriller that keeps the reader engaged. Unfortunately, Coulter falls into the trap of making her heroes beautiful members of the soci ...more
Alice
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
While this book is the 12th in series, it reads like a stand-alone. The character's background is adequately explained.
Major plot/ themes --
--physiatrist reveal his client's fears/deads
--Drunk driver's guilt When the Senator wants to publicly acknowledge his deed, he's killed to protect his and his family's reputation.
--Power exerted by parents to assure their children's future turns out they way that they want whether it's what the child wants or not is probably futile action.
--mistakes and
Randy Tramp
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A plane crashes. Rachel escapes a murder attempt. The two incidents collide creating a turbulence.

What a ride! The characters were interesting, the plot wild, and the read was exciting. I felt like I was on a roller coaster, that went up, up and up, then rolled down twisting corners.

This book was filled with murder attempts, politics, and escalating terror.

The ending took me by surprise. I look forward to more "FBI Thrillers."
Katy
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An heiress, illegitimate by birth, is the target of a killer. She had reconciled with her father recently, and while he acknowledged her, many others did not. She is on the run when she assists the two passengers of a private plane that crashed in the remote Appalachian area of Kentucky after a bomb detonated aboard. How are the two cases tied together?

Coulter had me hooded with her first sentence.
Deanna
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, library
This was a surprisingly good book with quite a lot of action and twists. It isn't really a mystery because you're pretty sure of who did what, but I enjoy having more than one problem to solve and the characters interactions with each other. So much of their daily lives are added into the storyline that you feel the characters are far more than 2 dimensional.
SAFETY?? 2 12 Jun 23, 2013 08:36AM
Read by Theme: Tailspin by Catherine Coulter 1 8 Jan 03, 2013 09:45AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Tailspin 1 3 Dec 27, 2012 06:55AM
  • Impulse
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8)
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • Don't Cry for Me (Rebel Ridge, #2)
  • Kiss the Moon
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14)
  • Falling Awake
  • Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5)
  • Lethal Justice (Sisterhood #6)

FBI Thriller (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Cove  (FBI Thriller #1)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • The Target (FBI Thriller, #3)
  • The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)
  • Riptide (FBI Thriller, #5)
  • Hemlock Bay (FBI Thriller, #6)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
  • Point Blank (FBI Thriller, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $7.99 $1.99
“You know, a cell phone's like a guy; if you don't plug him in every night, charge him good, you got nothing at all.” 92 likes
“Get over it,' Sherlock said, and looked at her husband. 'No, no, bad dog, keep quiet.” 16 likes