Start by marking “The Swordless Samurai: Pemimpin Legendaris Jepang Abad XVI” as Want to Read:
The Swordless Samurai: Pemimpin Legendaris Jepang Abad XVI

The Swordless Samurai: Pemimpin Legendaris Jepang Abad XVI

copy-editor: Poppy D. Chusfani

Jepang abad ke-16 merupakan zaman pembantaian dan kegelapan. Zaman dimana satu-satunya hukum yang ada adalah hukum pedang.

Dalam tatanan masyarakat hierarkis yang kaku dan melarang keras penyatuan kelas sosial, Hideyoshi lahir sebagai seorang anak petani miskin. Hideyoshi yang hanya setinggi 150 senti dan berbobot lima puluh kilogram serta tida
Published February 20th 2009 by RedLine Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Swordless Samurai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swordless Samurai

Start your review of The Swordless Samurai: Pemimpin Legendaris Jepang Abad XVI
Barack Liu
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

103-Toyotomi Hideyoshi-Sōhachi Yamaoka-Biography-1955
Barack

—— Born in troubled times, grew up in the poor and humble homes, reached between conquests, and reached the position of Guan Bai.

"Toyotomi Hideyoshi" was first serialized in Japan in 1955. Biography novel books. It tells the ups and downs of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's life.

Yamaoka Zhuang eight was born in Japan in 1907, new diarrhea a small county town, died in 1978. He left home at the age of 14 and started earning a living independently. Dur
Robert
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
This reads like a cross between a bad children's fable and a Tony Robbins infomercial. What's worse, Masao attempts to write in the voice of Hideoyoshi -- "I was a naughty lad who detested school" - a conceit that utterly fails, making this an even more excruciating read. Find a good historical biography if you want to learn from the life of Hideyoshi.
Theresia
Many, many fictional stories about Sengoku Jidai forgot the presence of this political giant for the sake of Oda or Tokugawa. In fact, The Monkey (as he was popularly called) one of the most, if not the most, interesting figures during the chaotic era.
Dmitry
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the last paragraph in the book says: The secret is there is no secret.

As a big fan of Japan loyalty, culture, dedication and way of leadership and business doing, this book was indeed nothing new to me.
But sometimes, ideas that are presented through a story of a real person, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who ended the Age of Wars and unified Japan, stick better than a new age "how to" motivational book.

If you read some motivation books, or books on how to be leaders, chances are some of the ideas from
Nicholas Rafaelito
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS NOT TOYOTOMI HIDEYOSHI'S BIOGRAPHY.

This book feels like a non-fiction self development about leadership in form of light historical story about Hideyoshi and his journey.

One problem; the plot. The timeline keep jumped around between before Nobunaga's death and after, and before again. Might confusing other reader which actually concern about Hideyoshi's life story.

Take notes that not all that contains in this book is true, where the first person perspective in this book obviously
Mel
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For those who are interested in the history of Hideyoshi, as told in a first person storytelling format, with the sprinklings of “moral of the story” leadership maxims after each “episode” of his life... this is your book.

I skimmed the book after about 30% in because it just wasn’t what I was looking for in a leadership book. It did not provide the soul searching journey I was looking for.

Олег
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
useful thoughts on leadership
Nidya Astrini
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I tried to read more books about the Japanese and luckily (or unluckily? Have no idea) I found a book in Gramedia (biggest bookstore chain in Indonesia) called Swordless Samurai. It was written by Masao Kitami and edited by Tim Clark. As you can read all over the internet, the book was about leadership advices taken from Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Toyotomi Hideyoshi was a peasant who becomes the supreme leader of Japan in 16 century. You can see the official site here.

But this entry won’t be about the
Hadi Wijaya
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Generally I like this book, these are several comments:

1. It more like an autobiography rather than novel, but it actually is. It came from history of Japan, Legendary Hero Hideyoshi Toyotomi. It’s being told from first person perspective so it like Hideyoshi himself tells this wonderful story.

2. The story is not in chronological order, but it’s based on the main theme of each chapter. For example if the theme is about Hideyoshi trustworthy friend, it tells all about them without considering whe
Ivan Kusuma
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Swordless Samurai is very good book I recommended to read in the middle of leadership crisis now.
This book tells history about Toyotomi Hideyoshi. He is son of a poor farmer from Nakamura, Owari Province. He had a dream to became a samurai. Although, he had short body, bad face, and didn't get education adequately, he never give up to reach his dream. Then, after fatality of Nobunaga Oda, his Lord, he takeover Oda's clan and became the king of the Japan. He never wants to kill his enemy by s
Helga Soenimanggar
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read this book really make me thinking to treat people better and know what we have to do to the others. This book valued by advice to be a good leader, but not only a good leader, but also teach me to be a good person by story and Hideyoshi's story of life.Also show us that hard works is more important than just luck. :) Preparation and thinking out of box is needed. Also show me about loyalties and integrity, respect and appreciation.
Budiasih
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Comes in a handy size, this book mesmerize me from the start by the story of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. I finished it just in a day.
It tells us about the journey of a poor boy who became one of Japan's greatest leader. The best part is, Kitami Masao also put points about leadership in every chapter which summarize Hideyoshi's leadership style. A very good book to read for everyone who wants to be a leader, or just to improve oneselves personality.
Ryan Sanders
I couldn't put it down. This is a wonderful historical perspective on the tail end of one of the bloodiest time periods in Feudal Japan. If it were possible I would give the author an extra star in this rating. If you are into Japanese history, culture, or even the samurai, this book is for you. Loved it.
Oleg Melnikov
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Find a good boos with high potential, find an area that you can excel, turn your weaknesses in to your strength...Don't bother working for a weak boss or with trying to perfect your non-existent abilities...
Nina Suhari
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
There's no sword he ever touch. But with tactics, he even greater than a samurai. Come from poor family, short and called "monkey" by his master. It's amazing to read his "diary" about journey to unite japan on his hand.
Primadonna
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Enlightening and fun, because truth to tell, so far I've known Hideyoshi from either manga or anime. :p
Leny Helena
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Akhirnya ketemu with 20% discount! Thank you Kopdar Goodreads Indonesia!
Sri
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Resonolo Raharjo
searching for wisdom is a kind of struggling to make us wiser than before..
Halfino Berry
Oct 18, 2009 rated it liked it
this book extracts the leadership values of Hideyoshi, one of the greatest man in Japan history.
Agis93
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it
There's so many leadership lessons that i learn from this book...
Driana Saraswati
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Leader should read this book very inspiring... love it!
Muhammad Salman
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Good
Adikaranuh
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome adivise from the 16th century by the own words of the monkey emperor/
Euthalia
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Was recommended by my Strategic Management professor and it turned out the life of Hideyoshi written here is a real example of a great leadership.
Muhammad Ridha Ar-Rasyid
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
This is a good book I've ever read. Hideyoshi Toyotomi teach us how to making progress, making decision, and build a strategy to live the life.
Ray Gunsmith
A definitive guide on what all leaders should be.
Ruben
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are lots of leadership principles to be found in the life of Hideyoshi Toyotomi. Great book, simple to read, and it doesn't feel like you're reading a pep rally script. I highly recommend it.
Maeda Yoppy
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
better to read taiko itself..

• Bumi Manusia
  • Jejak Langkah
  • Oda Nobunaga
  • Dilan: Dia Adalah Dilanku Tahun 1990 (Dilan, #1)
  • Si Cacing dan Kotoran Kesayangannya 3! (Si Cacing dan Kotoran Kesayangannya, #3)
  • Filosofi Teras