Start by marking “Cat Paradise 1 (Cat Paradise, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cat Paradise 1 (Cat Paradise, #1)

Cat Paradise 1 (Cat Paradise #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Nine lives might not be enough to survive this catfight!
At Matabi Academy, students are allowed to bring their pet cats to the dorms. For Yumi Hayakawa, whose favorite hobby is making clothes for her kitty Kansuke, Matabi seems like a sure bet. After all, nothing can possibly go wrong with her best friend at her side! But on the first day of school, the two find themselve
Published August 4th 2009 by Yen Press (first published May 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Paradise 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Paradise 1

Miriam
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic, school
I picked up this ridiculous-sounding manga about a silly girl who goes to a boarding school where students can bring their cats because I enjoyed the author's much darker King of Thorn series. I would never have guessed reading in a void that it was the same author; the only thing remotely similar is the fairly creepy mutated-looking monsters.

Here even the monsters are less serious. The threat is real but they're a tad silly so far: the giant rampaging anger hog and the fox-creature (it is call
Diana Dang
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Matabi Academy is known for allowing its students to bring their pet cats. Yumi Hayawa, a new student who's hobby is to make cute outfits for her cat Kansuke, soon realizes her new school is unlike anything she has seen before.

After she and her friend got attacked by a demon, she learns that the founder of Matabi Academy sealed away the great cat demon Kaen a 100 years ago. Now Kaen is back, ready to cause chaos on Earth.

I thought I wouldn't enjoy this series but surprisingly it grabbed my inter
Selena
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I am a sucker for anything cat. This did not disappoint on that end.

Anyway, this was pretty much your basic shounen. It felt very familiar, but with enough twist and turns that you didn't go, "Ugh, I've seen this already." It's also interesting to note that, despite this being shounen, the main characters are a girl and her magical cat.

I like how they portrayed the demons. I especially liked the fox with all that hair. His design was cool-looking, and then the personal qui
Charles
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Ottery StCatchpole
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Molly
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Oh, it was cute. I wanted it to be more cat-centric and cuter, but it was fine for what it was. Which was a (typically) airhead-ish girl with a cat who go to a school where they end up getting enlisted to fight a powerful evil. And she gets to communicate with her cat.
Kelly
A fun story if you wish your cat could be a forever companion, and not-to-mention have supernatural powers. Since it's only five volumes, it's quite a quick read and action-packed. I loved the contrast of characters.
Victoria
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Super cute and fun! It has me imagining what my cat would like if she suddenly had super powers!
Allison
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This wasn't as easy of an entry to Manga as I had hoped...but very endearing! I love the relationship between a girl and her cat, can't lie!
Amber
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
In all honesty what really drove me to read this book was the cats, because obviously talking cats. After reading this I still love that the story revolves around the bond between talking cats and their humans, but the whole story seems a bit overdone and outdated. There is the typical storyline driven by a calling to save the world, and stereotypical characters, which makes the story seem all too familiar. I am really not a big fan of the main girl's helpless girly character either, being used ...more
Lucinda
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, 2017
It was okay, cute even just didn't really grab me.
John
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
If you like cats and ridiculous battle shonen premises...and high school stories and great art, you'll like this.
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
This is a school set manga with a difference. At Matabi Academy, students can bring pet cats to school. And it's set on a site where a princess and her cat died after a fight against a demon. And the student governers and their cats have special powers enabling them to protect the school from said demon, and its henchmen. But apart from that, it's your typical gakuen(school) manga. Girl, in this case, Yumi, starts at new school, settles in, plot moves on in some way and she falls in love. In Cat ...more
Maddie
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Not at all what I thought it would be like; I was pretty disapointed. I thought it was going to be so cute with a young japanese girl named Yuki, who loves to make clothes for her cat Kansuke-who is a male. She goes off to a school that allows cats, everyone in the dorms has a cat. The student council takes care of the school in every aspect, including guarding it from kaen, an anciet battle that has not been won over yet between Kaen, an evil cat demon and a goddess. With that being say the cat ...more
Sarai
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story about a girl going to private school where she can take her cat. Magical powers are involved, and demons. Pretty fast and enjoyable read.

Product Description

Nine lives might not be enough to survive this catfight!

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
I really enjoyed this volume. The talking cats in particular are fun, of course only those chosen get to communicate with them.

Yuri is a great girl, a cross between outsider and insider, so perfect from which to learn about the world yet be in on what is going on. As yet we haven't seen much by way of powers but the student council has a great mix and I'm looking forward to reading more.

This is just the setup for the real story so in that it does well. If you expect to learn a whole lot you are
Adrianna Ibrahim
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I was hoping for cute/funny and instead I got a battle manga. I probably would've expected this if I had realized this was the same author of King of Thorns-oops. Still, I could be down with the human-cat pairs with superpowers IF the main character's cat didn't turn into a human. It's weird and doesn't sit right with me, especially since none of the other cats with powers don't turn human. There's only 5 volumes though, so I may ILL the rest at some point.
Emmy Lou
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
A bit ridiculous, but who doesn't like ridiculousness now and again?
Marie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Des pouvoirs rigolos, des méchants au design sympa et original et puis y a des chats, plein de chats !
Vixenfur
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was really cool! Excited for #2!
Erika
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
reminds me of the King of Thorn series
Vitor Frazão
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Primeiras páginas tremidas mas depois ganha ritmo. Humor, acção e yokai, mesmo o meu tipo de manga. Ainda há muitas personagens para serem desenvolvidas, só que foi um bom começo.
Tnasty
  • クローバーの国のアリス~チェシャ猫とワルツ~ 7
  • B. Ichi, Vol. 1
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 8
  • Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, Volume 1
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 3 (Mixed Vegetables, #3)
  • Maoh: Juvenile Remix, Vol. 1
  • All My Darling Daughters
IWAHARA Yuji
Japanese Name (岩原裕二)
Associated Names:
ИВАХАРА Юдзи
IWAHARA Yuuji

Blood Type: B
More about Yuji Iwahara...

Cat Paradise (5 books)
  • Cat Paradise 2 (Cat Paradise, #2)
  • Cat Paradise 3 (Cat Paradise, #3)
  • Cat Paradise 4 (Cat Paradise, #4)
  • Cat Paradise 5 (Cat Paradise, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Frangipani Hotel: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99