Start by marking “The Journals of Father Alexander Schmemann, 1973-1983” as Want to Read:
The Journals of Father Alexander Schmemann, 1973-1983

The Journals of Father Alexander Schmemann, 1973-1983

These journals offer insight into the quiet, intimate side of Father Alexander Schmemann. They witness to the magnitude of his heart and humanity. Translated and edited by his wife, the abridged journals reveal his recollections and experiences, and record much of his formative creative thought on all manner of subjects between January 1973 and June 1983.
Published January 1st 2000 by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Journals of Father Alexander Schmemann, 1973-1983

Tim
Nov 27, 2015 added it
I didn't think there could be such s thing as too much Schmemann but, no, this is entirely too much. For every wonderful insight, there's a buildup of his personal frustrations and negative tendencies that feel very much not-for-our-eyes. I'm sure someone, somewhere has benefitted from his testament of faith, but I personally found myself discouraged by this side of the man, a part divorced from a whole and therefore an incomplete portrait of the priest and his life.
Turkish
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Так тяжело что-то написать про эту замечательную книгу. Нигде и никогда я не встречал человека столь тонко чувствующего мир, как отец Александр. На ум приходит только Чехов, которого так любил Александр Шмеман. Эти дневники стали для меня неотъемлемым дополнением к Евангелие. Какая тишина, какой свет в этом человеке. Невольно задаешься вопросом: жил ли ты хоть секунду с тем же переживанием момента, какое описывает отец Александр. Действительно замирание времени, всеблагость самой жизни. Не даром ...more
Marc
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enchantingly, simply Joyful!
Fr Schmemann is a Mystic of real life...captivated by the Light of the world and witness to the Triune God's prismatic, Pentecostal fullness; God's plan for a new heaven and a new earth.
Father Schmemann takes his cue from this mystic vision and from this perspective always looks to the end of all things, but the end as it transfigures the present and makes the presence of eternity present to us personally. The end, as in the end of a long journey home.
Fr Alexander ha
Ivan
Fr. Schmemann’s famous formula for a modern-day monasticism is great—and almost worth the price of admission. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of uncomfortably intimate grumbling and grousing to slog through.
Jacob Aitken
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading another’s letters or journals, while sometimes ethically questionable, is almost always entertaining and more often than not, it provides illustrations of how literature and theology ought to be done. Fr Schmemann is no exception. These journals span ten years and reflect his thoughts on church, politics, and culture. What makes them refreshing is that he can offer America an outsider’s perspective on a range of topics. One can summarize the Journals in a few words: two No’s and a Yes—no ...more
Sister Anne
I snatched this book from a sale table at a Catholic bookstore, and even though I was very happy with my find, it wasn't until months later that I actually read it. Meaning that this treasure sat, unappreciated, on my bookshelf for close to a year. Silly me! Once I opened it, I could hardly bear to put it down.

I found Fr. Schmemann's reflections remarkably insightful. You know those little Post-It bookmarks? The skinny ones that come in packs of four colors? I used an entire "batch" of those ma
James Moes
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read that has been by my bedside for the past six months or so. Honest near-daily journal entries from the last ten years of Schmemann's life open up a struggling-questioning-yearning-yet-responsible Orthodox way of being.

A prolific & popular Eastern Orthodox liturgical theologian, Schmemann is more famous for his work For The Life of the World or his collected sermons, Celebration of Faith.

He confesses to not belonging, not understanding his call, and yet is continually turned
Nikola
„Началото на „лъжовната религия“ е в неумението да се радваш и по точно - в отказа от радостта.“
...
“Бог е сътворил света, а дяволът го е превърнал - и него, и човека, и самия живот - в „проблем“. И милион (по добре е да се каже че „името им е легион“(виж. Марк 5:9)„специалисти“ решават този проблем. И само затова в света е така тъмно, така хладно, така „безрадостно“.„
...

“Самото богословие е подсъдно на изкуството, тъй като е длъжно да стане изкуство и да „изпълни“ себе си с изкуство, но то не
David Galloway
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: orthodox, biographies
This collection of Fr. Alexander's Journals was published posthumously and gives you both snippets of the transcendental joy he experienced along with frustrations of people for whom Orthodoxy was just a set of empty rules to follow. Along the way you get to hear about his childhood as an exiled Russian living in Paris, his friendship with Alexander Solsenitsyn, and his take on a great variety of poetry, literature, and modern culture. Since Fr. Alexander was the mentor of the priest I consider ...more
Randy Elrod
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An honest intimate look at a revered Father's struggle with the church. Thought provoking, riveting and beautifully written. A timely book for this one who is disenchanted with the church of his past.
Conor
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly beautiful. A mensch.
Grace Brooks
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give a book 6 out of 5 stars.
John Higgins
May 09, 2009
Summer
Jan 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann was a prominent Eastern Orthodox theologian and priest of the Orthodox Church in America.