Start by marking “Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli” as Want to Read:
Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli

Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli

What do monsters eat?

The waitress in this restaurant just doesn’t have a clue.
Monsters don’t eat broccoli!
How could she think we do?

In this rollicking picture book written by Barbara Jean Hicks and illustrated by Sue Hendra, monsters insist they don’t like broccoli. They’d rather snack on tractors or a rocket ship or two, or tender trailer tidbits, or a wheely, steely
Published August 11th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli

Start your review of Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
Monster
Monsters Don’t Eat Broccoli was a difficult book for me to review, because my kids kept taking it. Every time they brought it back they chanted “Read it! Read it!” When a book inspires that kind of reaction, there’s not much more for a reviewer to add. The text is bouncy and rhyming, and a repeated verse inspired much jumping, stomping, and shouting: “Fum, fo, fi, fee,/ Monsters don’t eat broccoli”! The illustrations are bright and clear, and my kids identified with the monsters completely: “I’ ...more
Heidi-Marie
I know I've read this before today, but I don't remember when. It has great potential for a read-aloud. Yet the ending will require some thinking on my part.

11/9/10 Went well. Preschool liked it. The special needs group got very into the chanting with me, which was fun.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 The larger Tue. group had more fun with this as they responded to what the monsters liked to eat. (Though I wonder if a couple of those kids were just past preschool age.) The Thu. group enjoyed it, too.

Rachel Kinney
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
I read Monster's Don't Eat Broccoli for the fantasy book. Monster's Don't Eat Broccoli is a very fun story to read to children. The words rhyme and the children love it when you say "Fum foe fie fee monster's don't eat broccoli" in a monster voice. The pictures are very bright and colorful and draw the children to the pages. At the end of the story, the monsters finally realize that they have been eating broccoli and that they do like it, then the story shows children sitting a table eating ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Love the ending though I'm not especially a fan of picture books that tell children they don't like vegetables. I grew up loving vegetables, because they're delicious and no one told me not to like them.
Betsy
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oh, ye unfortunate parents of picky eaters, all both short and small. Where do you turn for help in your moments of greatest woe? What methods are at hand to teach your children how to eat their vegetables? Do you purchase an informative DVD that tries to overrule the reality of their tongue with the fantastical teaching of the visuals? Do you establish a set of rules and tell the children to abide by them? Or do you turn to that old standby: the picture book. Picture books helped your kids to ...more
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: id, pb
I read this book to my ID population. I used the recurring line (Fum, foe, fie, fee monsters don't eat broccoli) on the Big Mac button for my nonverbal kids. I also asked kids if they would eat the same thing the monsters were eating: ships, boulders, tractors etc. The kids used their communication devices to tell me yes or no. The kids seemed to enjoy it but not anything super exciting.

More of a fun read with your own child than using in the classroom.
Brittany
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This "monster" books is pretty cute, but sadly not a five-star review. The story is all about "monsters" not eating their broccoli, which kids should relate to easily. The wording is a little iffy in places, and it makes for a clunky read-aloud in a few spots. Overall a good story, but practice reading it several times before you attempt it in front of a crowd of kiddos.
Jeretta Hall-Robinson
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! The rhyming scheme set through-out the book was a cute way for kids to repeat and engage in the book. The illustrations were also interesting and felt as though they were imagined by a child. I also liked the ending. Very cute!
Tim
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The idea is simple - pretending to be a monster eating trees and buildings, which are actually veggies. But the pictures are so silly and fun that it makes this book memorable.
Angela
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
A cute book with a bit of a surprise ending. At least, I didn't see it coming. :)
Sara
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! Cute story! Cute pictures!
Nel
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
2 y/o enjoyed it well enough....not gripping or read over and over like others though.
Molly
Monsters eat a lot of machines, apparently. I had no idea.

Nothing about this really stuck with me after reading it, I'm afraid.
Adena
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had the kids stomp for "Fum, Foe, Fie, Fee" and chant "Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli" together, and they had such a fun time!
Kenson and kirra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
this book made me laugh, and it had a catchy rhyme so it was fun too read. i like broccoli with hot sauce on it.
Krissy
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
okay - I might read again
Joe Loncarich
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book where I learned a valuable lesson, and now, at 34-years-old, I eat broccoli.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Gasping, gobbling, grinning, crunching and belching, seven sherbet-coloured monsters revel in outrage at their broccoli-loving readers in this rhyming enticement to eat green.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Other books mentioned:

The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster: A
David
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli by Barbara Jean Hicks, illustrated by Sue Hendra is a funny story featuring monsters who don't want to eat vegetables, particularly broccoli.

The text features bouncy rhymes spread across multiple pages. As monsters discuss their food preferences, they describe wild choices, such as "tractors, or a rocket ship or two, or tender trailer tidbits, or a wheely, steely stew." Interesting vocabulary used includes crave delectable, dreadful, and abide. A repeated verse is “
Sarah Sammis
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli was nominated for a Cybils award in the Fiction Picture Book category. The monsters on the cover are in a similar style to how my own monstrologists draw monsters so I checked out a copy from the library.

A pair of monsters are in a restaurant that is only serving broccoli. They complain bitterly that monsters don't eat broccoli and go on to describe all the things they'd rather eat. That list includes things like cars, rocket ships, boulders, buildings and so forth.
The Library Lady
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Let me say it loud, let me put it on the walls of every library and bookstore, you don't change a kid's mindset with a picture book if their mind is made up already. If it were that simple, we wouldn't need all those bleeping parenting books.

Sorry, but anyone who writes a review that suggests that this book has the LEAST possible chance of getting a broccoli hating kid to eat the stuff has never, ever tangled with a kid of their own who is determined NOT to do something. And that's from a mom
Gianina
I enjoyed the meter of the book and my daughter laughed thinking about how monsters would eat things that would certainly not fit into her mouth. The idea of size is new and fascinating to her. I am learning a lot about child humor. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations but at the end my daughter, who loves broccoli, asked to have it for lunch. After spending the week being disappointed by books about healthy eating it was much less disappointing than other options. I was worried she might ...more
Nov 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked this book in spite of myself. It is funny. I don't see it, or any other book like it, solving the problem of picky eaters, but I do see some kid getting a laugh about all the things that monsters eat. I don't always love books written with biblio-therapy in mind, but if the book is a good book besides the lesson then it works for me. It just reminds me of the parent who wouldn't let their child read green eggs and ham because they didn't want them to be a picky eater. Books can change ...more
Rachel
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A rhyming picture book about monsters who don't want to eat broccoli, but would rather eat boulders, tractors and wheels. These "monsters" are really kids in disguise who don't want to eat their green veggies, but will eat "trees" instead. I love the big colorful illustrations of the silly monsters and the things that they like to eat; the end papers are also really cute. It would be a great book for storytime. Recommended for ages 2-5 yrs, 4 stars.
Susan
Description: These monsters are outraged when a waitress tries to serve them broccoli.

Illustrations: Vivid and silly illustrations that would ignite any child's imagination.

Keywords/Themes: monsters, food

Literacy Skills:
Print motivation and Phonological sensitivity-the rhyme in this book "Fum, foe, fie, fee monsters don't eat broccoli!" makes reading fun and promotes phonological sensitivity.
Vocabulary-uses great and interesting words (examples: abide, delectable and dreadful)

Erin Sterling
A fun, colorful, rhyming book where monsters eat tractors, wheels, redwoods, and boulders, but “fum, foe, fie, fee, monsters don’t eat broccoli!” Kids will relate to this book when they’re forced to eat vegetables they might not like either. The illustrations of monsters and buildings use bold colors and cartoonish simplicity. A twist at the end that will please parents is not unexpected, but it is cute. All in all, the book is silly and enjoyable.
Erica Nicol
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun, and the monster illustrations were a hit, but this one just doesn't seem to have staying power for my toddler or for me. And I find it's overall message (that the kids/monsters are eating broccoli all along) to be a bit didactic and condescending. We read it a few times and enjoyed the pictures of monsters eating cars and space ships, wheels, and trees, but we weren't sad to take this one back to the library.
Meghan Hunt
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
Sarah Souther
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
A set of silly monsters discuss dietary preferences to the refrain of "Fum, fo, fie, fee, monsters don't eat broccoli!" At the end, we discover that the monsters are human children, and the delectable redwoods and boulders they've been eating are broccoli and potatoes. Bright colors and the silly rhymes will entertain children, whether or not they're inspired to eat more vegetables.
Jane G Meyer
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super fun, fast-moving picture book told in rhyme. My little one loves it--mostly because of the "fum, foe, fie, fee" and the fact that there are the craziest, most colorful and delightful monsters playing on every page. This book won't make children more interested in vegetables, but it will get them laughing, which is just as important... :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Dasher
  • Lines That Wiggle
  • Tap the Magic Tree
Acclaimed children's book author Barbara Jean Hicks offers visiting author programs and workshops for aspiring writers of all ages. With a flair for the dramatic, Barbara engages, entertains, educates and inspires her audiences. She has taught at the preschool, middle school and community college levels and most recently worked in an elementary school as author-in-residence, program facilitator ...more