Start by marking “Lift: Becoming a Positive Force in Any Situation” as Want to Read:
Lift: Becoming a Positive Force in Any Situation

Lift: Becoming a Positive Force in Any Situation

Harness the Science of Positive Influence

We all want to have a positive impact, but often, despite our best intentions, we're tripped up by subtle psychological states we're not even aware of. It doesn't have to be that way. In "Lift," Ryan and Robert Quinn combine cutting-edge social science and real-world examples to describe four mindsets that will help you become aware
Published June 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lift

Start your review of Lift: Becoming a Positive Force in Any Situation
Chris
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the book Lift, Quinn and Quinn endeavored to convince readers that individuals can become positive forces in any situation by reflecting on four questions before acting. If you identify your desired results and guiding values, reflect upon them, empathically consider the perspective of others, and collaboratively devise strategies to accomplish desired outcomes, which align with your core values, there is a greater likelihood for progress. You must consider all four, not a subset of the ...more
Ralf Kruse
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like on how this book take the flight metaphor and works through various areas needed to be a positive force to create a differente.
It touches multiple models I highly appreciate and gave it another and integrated perspective.
Put the purpose on what we want to achieve -> Start with why
Acting consistent to our values -> responsibility process
Being open to others -> How to win friends and influence people, Thanks for the feedback and crucial conversations
Being externally open
Troy Oldham
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was chosen as the book of the year/required reading at the Huntsman School of Business at USU. The analogies to flight are very helpful and I've learned more about the Wright Brothers than I 'thought' I knew.

Great examples and ideas on how to live a life with a focus on how to lift others, to be focused on how other people feel and how to organize communication to inspire others and help yourself be a positive force.

A good companion guide book, (read at the same time), was 'Tipping
Merrick
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just as Jim Collins said, “Good is the enemy of great,” Ryan and Robert Quinn claim that those who surrender to our normal everyday state is the acceptance of mediocrity in our lives. The opposite of this state is what the authors call, “Lift.” When in this state, individuals possess a positive mindset that leads to greater fulfillment in all aspects of their lives.

Ryan and Robert Quinn employ scientific data and real-world examples to show readers how to transcend the normal state. Individuals
Ronda
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very good presentation of four key ideas. You can become a positive force by 1. Becoming purpose centered 2. Becoming internally directed 3. Becoming other focused 4. Becoming externally open. Lots of examples are given. While most of us would find we do some of these often, I find myself not reflecting on where I am on these dimensions as much as would be ideal.

Disclaimer: This was required reading at work for our fall start up meeting. I do know and have high admiration for the coauthor Robert
Maggie
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
I enjoyed reading this book--I believe it is one of the most inspiring and motivational books I have read. The book focused on the four questions we should ask ourselves during any situation we face. The questions guide us to a place where we are purpose-centered, internally-directed, other-focused, and externally-open. It is in this place that we are able to positively influence the situations we are in.

The authors' writing is engaging, challenges the reader, and is full of many stories and
Carol Mosman
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This was required reading for the Huntsman School of Business at USU. I read it because I am employed at USU.
It gave me many great thoughts and ideas about being a positive force not matter where I go. There is lots to consider and think about and act upon.
Megan Martin
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's a life-changer. Justin and I have a different way of talking to each other and to our kids after reading this book. Which is a big deal, because sometimes it's hard to be conscious of how you're communicating, but this book REALLY changed our perspective. Read it.
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
An inspiration simply written. Sometimes overly simplistic or idealized but well worth the read!
DIY$
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good framework for doing exactly as the title says, along with scientific evidence that it works, and that it matters.
Jdow
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Some great concepts in the books, but there was a lot of fluff.
Elizabeth Housewright
More a solid article than a book, a little too self-congratulatory for me, but central premise seems solid.
Rosie

• Plastic: A Toxic Love Story
  • The Sultan's Harem
  • A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World from Prehistory to Today
  • The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented a Story of Martyrdom
“Who we are at any time depends on who the people around us are, and who they are depends on who we are.” 0 likes
“Internal direction is a characteristic of lift in which people experience the dignity and integrity that comes with exercising the self-control necessary to live up to the values that they expect of others.” 0 likes