Start by marking “La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia) (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia) (Spanish Edition)

La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia) (Spanish Edition)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  475 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
El budismo zen se introdujo en un principio en Japon como la religion de los samurais o la clase militar, configurando el caracter de muchos destacados soldados y estadistas. Pero este hecho de todos conocido se entendera mejor si se lee este libro, donde se explica que la disciplina mental del zen equilibra la mente haciendo que uno no sea apasionado ni desapasionado, ni ...more
Published April 30th 2005 by Ediciones Paidos Iberica (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia)

Owlseyes
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen

No matter what, the Zen-samurai can endure anything and everything; because “…he can enjoy everything” ; that’s how the book ends. The self must have authority “over all the body”. Zen IS the religion of the samurai.

The book starts with a historical perspective of the two main currents of Zen: the Rinzei and the Soto traditions. It proceeds highlighting the parallels between a Zen Monk and a samurai warrior; many, indeed, acknowledges the author.

Then, the steps for mental training are exposed.
Gustavo
Dec 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is a LOT of vocabulary pertaining to Buddhism and Zen, which just makes you be lost in all that. There's really little about the relationship between Zen and Samurais and the whole Bushido philosophy. It builds the difference between Himayanism and Mahayanism, with the different approaches it has as a whole, but even then you get lost with all the sutras, mantras, and weird hindu names.
This book was a dissapointment to be honest, and i only finished it because of my obsession that makes me
Daniel Silveyra
This is one of those free books on the Kindle (and the web), by the way.

If the first 150 or so pages are any indication of the rest of the book, then the title may be a little misleading. If you are interested mainly in the Samurai class and your interest in their religion is mainly due to this, you will be disappointed. If you are interested in Zen Buddhism, this might be more your cup of tea.

I was of the first kind of reader, but the introduction to the Zen school at the beginning of the book
Katie S
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have recently read a book called The Religion of the Samurai by Kaiten Nukariya. This book was about where the religion of the Samurai came from. I think this is a boring book and I didn’t enjoy reading it.

The point of this book was to inform us about what the religion of the Samurai was and how it came to be the way it is now. The author was trying to tell us about a religion called Zen. I felt that it was good to know about other religions, but I didn’t understand much of the book.

I didn’
Doug
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WOW ... what a struggle!

The version that I read was a freebie e-book version from Amazon. The way the book was digitized made for a very aggravating read, and it took me well over half way through the book before I realized that my confusion was being caused by the way the footnotes appeared. Once I figured out how this was done I was able to set a good pace with it and it was almost enjoyable ... almost!

As with most books that you read originating from the Far East, the first part of the book i
Dani Lane
Dec 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This will be the first book I read on my new iPad. Finally finished this snoozer. It was filled with names (Chinese and Japanese) and was very hard to read. I thought it would be an explanation of the philosophy, but if you go by the information here, the philosophy is that there is no philosophy. The author's view on the religion is offered near the end of the book, but by then I was so confused about Buddhism, Confucianism and Zen that I didn't want to add his opinions to the muddle. I'm still ...more
R.
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i read 3% of this book and stopped after i realized i would never understand it. i became so tripped up in trying to pronounce the names and terms that i often forgot the premise of the present sentence i was reading. maybe i just don't know as much about buddhism as i thought i did, and need to take a crash course on it before i could understand this book. perhaps actual buddhists would find this to be a good read. not for le, though..
Piotr Kalinowski
I have read a free version available for the Kindle, which could be a better experience: the footnotes were intertwined with actual text.

Overall, I expected more historical context, or more in depth exploration of parallels between Zen, and samurai culture. It turned out to be a lot more about Zen itself.

The explanation of its tenets was an interesting one, albeit quite technical and heavy on terminology straight out of sutras.
Ardeth Baxter
Needs a cleanup

As happens with a lot of these free Amazon ebooks, there are lots of typos and major disorganization. The book itself is quite fascinating if a bit confusing about just what Zen is. But a part of that confusion is because of the poor layout, with footnotes thrown in right after sections of text. It's messy.
Jeremy L.
True, not an easy read for the light reader. It has a lot of Indian/Hindu references, names, and vocabulary. However, if you have the capacity to absorb it, the book is full of the complexities and nuance of the history and pholosophy of zen.
E Taylor
Apr 13, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
research for first novel
Doug
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thought provoking book with essays on the mind, morality, nature and origins of man.
Claudette
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
(Audiobook) The title is so misleading...... this has nothing to do with Samurai or Japanese history. However it does focus on Zen Buddhism.
Lizzy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good free book on Zen.

Very good for a free book written in 1912. The footnotes are annoying but worth reading. There are misspellings but I don’t mind it when the book is informative and entertaining with Zen master stories. There is little about Samurai though so the title is misleading, it should just refer to Zen Philosophy.
Ben
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite a good overview of Zen Buddhism, although it has nothing to do with Samurai.
The first chapter is very heavy going, with lots of names and footnotes, but also isn't especially necessary for the remainder of the book. The remaining chapters are easier to read and give some good insights into the principles of Zen Buddhism such as the view on mindfulness and meditation.
Chris Hager
Apr 13, 2014
Sevin Siedamska
Feb 24, 2015
Surashree Sahasrabudhe
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2016
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Folk-Lore and Legends; Scandinavian
  • Training the Samurai Mind: A Bushido Sourcebook
  • The Compass of Zen
  • Tales of Old Japan: Folklore, Fairy Tales, Ghost Stories and Legends of the Samurai
  • Just Like Old Times
  • History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living
  • The Religion of the Ancient Celts
  • White Tigress (Tigress, #1)
  • Legends of the Egyptian Gods: Hieroglyphic Texts and Translations

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“Zen is completely free from the fetters of old dogmas, dead creeds, and conventions of stereotyped past, that check the development of a religious faith and prevent the discovery of a new truth. Zen needs no Inquisition. It never compelled nor will compel the compromise of a Galileo or a Descartes. No excommunication of a Spinoza or the burning of a Bruno is possible for Zen.” 1 likes
“No action, whether foul or fair, Is ever done, but it leaves somewhere A record-as a blessing or a curse.” 0 likes