Start by marking “O Deus das Pequenas Coisas ” as Want to Read:
O Deus das Pequenas Coisas

O Deus das Pequenas Coisas

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  185,264 Ratings  ·  9,543 Reviews
"O Deus das Pequenas Coisas" é a história de três gerações de uma família da região de Kerala, no sul da Índia, que se dispersa por todo o mundo e se reencontra na sua terra natal. Uma história feita de muitas histórias. A histórias dos gémeos Estha e Rahel, nascidos em 1962, por entre notícias de uma guerra perdida. A de sua mãe Ammu, que ama de noite o homem que os filho ...more
Published May 1998 by Edições Asa (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about O Deus das Pequenas Coisas, please sign up.

Chloe This book haunted me. It crept into my bones and it is simply a great novel. It is painful and describes things that may strike others as "not very…moreThis book haunted me. It crept into my bones and it is simply a great novel. It is painful and describes things that may strike others as "not very nice" - but she writes all her work with passion and conscience. Why read a review - read the book and decide yourself if it's great or not. Reviewers are only readers with a place to share opinions. We are all reviewers if we read and think about our reading.
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kaustav Kashyap Hello Liz,

Hello Liz,

I think I might be able to throw some light there. Most critics have been perturbed by those scenes and have wondered if there were some over-arching necessary with he major themes of the book. Roy's been asked this question often and in one of her interviews she clearly states that nothing in the book is unintentional. This deliberately portrayed scene however she refuses to see as incest. She strongly replied that because of the trauma faced by Estha in his childhood (the molestation scene) and Rahel's inability to love anyone else like her own brother, they had to heal each other in their own privateness. Hence, it is only Rahel that Estha opens up to and they quietly share the grief of that bonding which isn't enjoyment but a sense of sharing and unloading.

listen to this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAADo...(less)

Rajat Ubhaykar
Okay, first things first. The God Of Small Things is a very very clever book, but what makes it exceptional is that it is both beautiful and crafty, a rare combination. This book has structure. Lots of it. She effectively creates a language of her own, a juvenile lucid language which complements the wistful mood of the book beautifully. The plot moves around in space and time with masterful ease and one can't help but experience a vague sense of foreboding, a prickly fear in the back of your nec ...more
Adrianne Mathiowetz
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adjective-lovers, women who sometimes fantasize about Going A Little Nuts
Recommended to Adrianne by: Jan
Lush, gorgeous prose: reading The God of Small Things is like having your arms and legs tied to a slowly moving, possibly dying horse, and being dragged face-down through the jungle. I mean, like that, only nice. You can't stop seeing and smelling everything, and it's all so foreign and rich. Potentially ripe with e coli.

The similes and metaphors Roy employs are simultaneously tactile and surreal, like an overly vivid dream, and her storytelling style is somewhere between Joseph Conrad, Emily D
Brina
It is 1969 and India although having achieved independence twenty years earlier is still mired in its caste system. In this light, Arundhati Roy brings us her masterful first novel The G-D of Small Things which won the Man Booker Prize in 1997. A powerful novel filled with luscious prose and a heart rending story, Roy reveals to her readers an India hanging onto to the traditions of the past with a slight glimpse of her future.

Ammukutty Kochamma, the daughter of a respected entomologist and cla
Siria
Apr 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Please excuse me while I go sit in this corner and be dreadfully underwhelmed.

The God of Small Things won the Booker Prize in 1997, and I'd heard very good things about it. And yet I really didn't like it. It's not a bad book - far from it. The characters she has created are really wonderful, and she has succeeded in evoking all the noises and sights and smells of Kerala, even for someone like me who's never been further east than Poland. The narrative structure is disjointed, wandering from the
Samadrita
As I stand just outside the compound with the untended garden - an uninvited, random visitor - the darkened Ayemenem House resembles a haunted mansion, belying the truth of the lives it once nurtured with maternal protectiveness in its cozy interiors. Derelict. Abandoned. Forgotten.
But I remember. I remember the lives lived, and the loves which were birthed by circumstances, loves which breathed for a while before perishing on the altar of conformity.
I remember Chacko and Sophie Mol. Ammu and V
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
«Ο θεός των μικρών πραγμάτων είναι η ανάποδη πλευρά αυτού που νομίζουμε ότι είναι ο Θεός. Οι άνθρωποι πιστεύουν ότι ο Θεός είναι κάτι πολύ μεγάλο, έχουν στο μυαλό τους έναν Θεό εξουσιαστή, ενώ ο θεός των μικρών πραγμάτων δεν έχει εξουσία. Είναι η φύση, η γη, τα καθημερινά πράγματα, όλα αυτά που ενώνονται και συναντούν την Ιστορία».

Είμαστε στο χωριό Αγιαμανάμ της Κεράλας στην Ινδία.
Σε μια Ινδία εξαθλιωμένη,μίζερη,φτωχή και βρόμικη που βράζει για κοινωνικές και πολιτικές αλλαγές. Για καλύτερο τρό
Rowena
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia, indian-lit
"It didn't matter that the story had begun, because Kathkali discovered long ago that the secret of Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as thou ...more
Amytyr
Oct 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one.
Shelves: have-read
This is, without a doubt, the single worst book ever written.
It makes virtually no sense, jumping from past to present tense so often and without warning that you have no idea whats going on. Out of nowhere the writer mentions filthy disturbing sexual things for no reason. I could not even find a story in there, just meaningless jibberish.
The thing that amazes me most though, is that while i am yet to meet a single person that LIKES this book, it makes it onto all the top 100 lists etc.
I can o
Dolors
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small People with Big Hearts
Recommended to Dolors by: Aubrey
Shelves: read-in-2014
I tried to stay afloat with all my willpower but the unchained maelstrom gurgling in Small Miracles and Big Calamities sprouting from this novel proved to be far too violent for my feeble arms and my fragile heart. So I drowned. I died a thousand deaths engulfed by the swelling waters of this lush river of flowing allegories and rippling parables that washed my being over and over again in waves of piercing beauty and unbearable sadness.
Mimicking the natural cycle of the lunar tide, Arundhati Ro
Aubrey
I recognize that when it comes to this book, platitudes are worth even less than usual when it comes to the conveyance of something with actual meaning. So on that note I will spare both you and I that. Instead, I will comfort myself in the core of metaphor, and go from there.

To say that this book resonated with me is akin to saying that ingestion of arsenic does a decent job of causing multi-system organ failure. To say that I read it at the right time is akin to saying that the added latex to
Cecily
A lyrical, mysterious tale of misunderstanding and pain, echoing through the years. At its dark heart, it demonstrates how small things can have multiple and major consequences, meaning that everything can change in a single day. "Anything can happen to anyone. It's best to be prepared." - and these fears trigger tragedy.

It is set in Kerala (southern India) in 1969 (when twins Rahel (girl) and Estha (boy) are aged 7) and 23 years later, when the twins return to the family home. As the narrative
Jake
May 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm all by myself here, but what the hell.

This reads like a graduate writing class exercise blown from 20 pages to 300. The metaphors, while occasionally fresh and unexpected, are tedious and frequently stand in for something that could be much less complex. The writing is self-conscious and precious. There is really no good reason to tell the story in such a disjointed fashion. Roy's attempts to recreate the way children view the world were cute for about 10 pages, and then became tiresome (the
Tim
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who can handle it
Okay, it won the Booker prize and everyone has said it before - but god damn is this one melancholy piece of work, and that's actually why I like it.

It's melancholy, not depressing, and it answers more questions about the characters than it first seemed to, although, I have to say, the characters on the whole are quite two-dimensional. Then again, so are a lot of real people: this is an indictment of human life if ever I saw it.

The language is brilliant, the running together of words to form the
Petra Eggs
I remember trying to read this book half a dozen times. (view spoiler) ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Anything’s possible in Human Nature.”

Good morning Goodreaders! Please be forewarned: If you aren’t familiar with me and are here because this (1) randomly showed up on your feed due to a mutual acquaintance we share or (2) because you are expecting a super smart opinion piece on a modern classic, I have one thing to say to you . . . . .

In case the .gif didn’t clue you in, I’m not going to offer any sort of literary insight in this
Maggie Campbell
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Nothing mattered much. Nothing much mattered. And the less it mattered, the less it mattered. It was never important enough. Because Worse Things had happened. In the country that she came from, poised forever between the terror of war and the horror of peace, Worse Things kept happening."

"Perhaps it's true that things can happen in a day. That a few dozen hours can affect the outcomes of whole lifetimes. And that when they do, those few dozen hours, like the salvaged remains of a burned house-
Iris
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm drowning in feelings. Pappachi's moth is on my heart. Review to come.
Matthew Quann
There was no reasoning with this book. It caught me with its word-shaped eyes and wanted to lock horns. It threw me to the ground and thrashed me every time I picked it up. During some of these thrashings I came out on top, but most of the time I was overwhelmed by the book’s overpowering strength in spite of its meager spine. In the last match, as if it had been training me, I overcame the book. I had naught to do but reflect upon the struggle that had brought me to slamming shut the final page ...more
Ted
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She remained sitting for awhile. Long after the song had ended. Then suddenly she rose from her chair and walked out of her world like a witch. To a better, happier place.

Arundhati Roy (1951- )

It’s been twenty years since the book was published. It changed the author’s life. It may have changed some readers’ lives also. Who can tell?

I don’t care to try to actually review the book. What I thought of it is revealed by the rating.

The structure of the narrative is a work of wonderful artistry though
Paul
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable book; and it won the Booker! When I sat down on finishing it to think about the themes I realised how much ground Roy had covered and in such a beautifully written way. The themes include the caste system, religious tensions, communism, forbidden love, history and colonialism, class, culture, to name but a few. It is a family saga told in the third person and is not really sequential; the plot in outline is known from fairly early in the book.
The plot revolves around twins Rahel and
Kevin Ansbro
3.5
I usually love books that are set in the Indian subcontinent but found this one frustrating to be honest.
On the one hand it was a tour de force of sumptuous prose, but on the other I found that the narrative meandered all over the place, making it difficult to for me (with my grasshopper brain) to keep up.
Although Roy's writing is kissed by the gods, I'm a great believer in a story's need to flow and my early enthusiasm became steadily dampened as the book progressed.
Fabian
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does it say about me that I get sort of happy to find an imposter in the canon? I feel like the gestapo, that terrifyingly powerful... like I'm finally undoing or deciphering the spell that this work invokes upon the general (albeit intelligent reading) audience. Others could have easily taken its place on that memorable list... and why o why would "Tropic of Cancer" or "Mao II" possibly be considered classics, too?

& here is another. An award winning "masterpiece" held high on the liter
helen the bookowl
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful book; both contentwise and languagewise. I do admit that it's very hard to get into because of its messy storyline and its very poetic and at times absurd writing style, but once you do you can't help but appreciate its beauty.
I picked up this book because it's part of BBC's Top 100 Books List that I'm currently trying to complete, and I'm very happy I did so. This book is set in India, and so it taught me about a different culture and a different way of living. It's about
Mahima
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot write a critical review of this book. It seems impossible. There's something about Indian writing that leaves me overwhelmed and unsettled. Writers such as Arundhati Roy herself do not just write words; they imprint those words deep within you so that you can hear their echoes resonate inside you every once in a while. These writers have a poetic tendency that always manages to creep in their prose. They create such a sad, melancholic, lyrical song out of it that you cannot help but suc ...more
Teresa
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and 1/2 stars

I admire this book: its structure, descriptive prose and portrayal of the children. One of the 'Two Things' (that's an allusion to the book) I heard about the novel before reading it was how sad and depressing it is. It is, especially in that the adults fail the children so spectacularly and, for the most part, intentionally (plus it's always hard to read of children as victims) but perhaps I've read so much sad, depressing fiction in my life that this one didn't stand out as more
Rajan
Best part is language. She writes prose but in a poetic language. She plays with words like little children plyas with toys. She is genius of word play.

two examples:

Don
It's interesting that Roy said in an interview that she'd never read Rushdie when compared to him. In retrospect that makes sense. I'd been struggling with "The Moors Last Sigh" when a friend from India gave me this book. I didn't pick it up for a few months and then fell into it, doing little else for days while I read it. At first I found that hard to believe, because she plays with language in ways that I thought Rushdie did, but later I could see that the way he works language is radically d ...more
Skorofido Skorofido
Είναι από αυτά τα βιβλία που στέκονται χρόνια και χρόνια στη βιβλιοθήκη σου, το ξεσκονόπανο έχει βαρεθεί να παίρνει τη σκόνη από πάνω τους, όλο το τραβάς έξω για να το διαβάσεις κι όλο τελευταία στιγμή παίρνεις κάποιο άλλο και το αφήνεις πάλι να σκονίζεται μέχρι την επόμενη φορά… (όχι βέβαια πως είναι το μοναδικό τέτοιο βιβλίο…)
Παρ’όλα αυτά, επιτέλους ήρθεν η ώρα του και ο «Θεός των μικρών πραγμάτων» αποτελεί πλέον μία από τις αναγνωστικές μου εμπειρίες…
Δυο λόγια για την ιστορία, αν και η ιστορί
umberto
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I bought this viably readable novel last week and wondered why this one seemed familiar to me. Later I found out from the internet it was the 1997 winner of the Booker Prize, that is, its cover has kept haunting me since more than ten years ago and I wasn't aware of its formidable literary acclaim and honour. One of the reasons is that I've never read Arundhati Roy before since this is her debut worth reading critically and enjoyably.

I kept on reading, liked it and agreed with the review that it
Maxwell
Jul 28, 2014 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: man-booker, 2015
This isn't a bad book, it's just not a book for me. I feel like I gave it a fair shot, reading over 1/3 of the novel. But I've noticed I haven't been as inspired to read lately, and when I sit down to read this one I'm just not interested or invested in the story at all. Maybe some day I will try it again because it is a Man Booker winner--and I'm in charge of the Manbookering Group which is reading this book for November (oops! sorry y'all)--but right now I'm setting it aside. Life's too short ...more
  • Saville
  • Something to Answer For
  • The Inheritance of Loss
  • The Famished Road
  • In a Free State
  • G.
  • A Suitable Boy (A Suitable Boy, #1)
  • Moon Tiger
  • The Bone People
  • The Siege of Krishnapur
  • In Custody
  • The Hungry Tide
Arundhati Roy is an Indian writer who is also an activist who focuses on issues related to social justice and economic inequality. She won the Booker Prize in 1997 for her novel, The God of Small Things, and has also written two screenplays and several collections of essays.

For her work as an activist she received the Cultural Freedom Prize awarded by the Lannan Foundation in 2002.

More about Arundhati Roy...
“That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less.” 2691 likes
“...the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don’t deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don’t surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover’s skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as though you don’t. In the way that although you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won’t. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn’t. And yet you want to know again.

That is their mystery and their magic.”
976 likes