Start by marking “Weird Stories from the Lonesome Cafe” as Want to Read:
Weird Stories from the Lonesome Cafe

Weird Stories from the Lonesome Cafe

When Sam decides to spend the summer working in his uncle's restaurant located in the middle of the Nevada desert, he doesn't expect to see too much excitement. But that all changes when some very strange characters see the Help Wanted sign in the window. Before long, ten-year-old Sam is fending off a nosy TV reporter who wants to know if Big Foot, Elvis, and Santa Claus ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Scholastic (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Weird Stories from the Lonesome Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird Stories from the Lonesome Cafe

Start your review of Weird Stories from the Lonesome Cafe
Kim Robbins
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a cute story! 10-year-old Sam and his uncle Clem have moved to Nevada and opened the Lonesome Cafe. Clem needs some peace and quite in order to write a book. Trouble is, nothing ever happens at the Lonesome Cafe to write about...or does it? Who are these stange people that come to the cafe? Is that really Elvis? or Santa Claus? Weird and Amazing things are happening at the cafe and Channel 54 is investigating!

I really liked this short(72 pages) book. It was funny without being stupid. This
Holly Brown
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about a boy named Sam and his Uncle Clem, who move to Nevada for some peace and quiet so Uncle Clem can write a book. They run the Lonesome Cafe, where Uncle Clem thinks that nothing happens. However, Sam knows that when you look closer, things are not always as they seem.

This is an entertaining book. I kept laughing out loud as I was reading it. Some students will find this book funny and fun to read.

I would use this book in my class to get my students interested in reading books
Allison
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun! Sam is spending the summer with his Uncle at the Lonesome Cafe. Business is very slow except for the exceptional customers they get from time to time.

It's an excellent suggestion for early elementary readers: funny, not too hard but just hard enough, and did I mention, FUNNY! The book would also be a fun read aloud. You could have the kids guess the true identity of each of the cafe's customers.
Andd Becker
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Diane Kidd illustrated this excellent reading level two book.
Illeyana
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Now, this is a great story for children. It introduces so many characters that it was trying to gues who it was beforehand. I enjoyed this story greatly.
Denise
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Third graders
This was a fun book I read w/ my third grade reading group. We all enjoyed the book!
Chinook
H
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Whimsical and cute.
Itasca Community Library
Ten-year-old Sam is spending the summer in the middle of Nevada, working at the remote Lonesome Café. And the Help Wanted sign in the window brings some very strange visitors–Bigfoot, Elvis, a jolly fat man from the North Pole, and a young girl and her dog who blow in on a tornado from Kansas. And then there’s the spaceship that crashes nearby and its little green passenger. . . . Sam is kept busy distracting the nosy TV news team so they don’t discover the identities of the odd visitors, but it ...more
Jill
Unlike other reviewers, I thought this was just okay. For me, I thought it a tad contrived, from the "characters" that came into the cafe to the "kid-knows-what's-going-on-but-the-adult-doesn't" theme that ran throughout the whole book. However, that being said, I think younger readers would probably really like both those aspects of the book immensely and like being in on the joke, so to speak.
Barbara
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute little book for the independent reader - a fun read aloud as well.
Ajay
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it had different characters from other books like Big Foot, Santa Claus, aliens, and Dorothy. However, it should have been longer because it could have told stories about new characters. I didn't like the way this book ended.
Kathie
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
great 2nd grade read-aloud
Kristen Fort
I read this while substituting a fourth grade group of special ed students. So, too juvenile for my tastes, but the students enjoyed it.
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-gr
definitely fun to read aloud.
tohuvabohu

• The Twits
  • Romeo y Julieta / Julio César
  • The Essential Odyssey
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • The King of Show-and-Tell (Ready, Freddy!, #2)
  • The Umbrella Mouse
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit