Start by marking “The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits” as Want to Read:
The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits

The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Take your craft to the next level.

For rich, unique yarns of your very own creation, The Yarn Lover’s Guide to Hand Dyeing is your essential go-to guide.

Now you can create gorgeous, unique, handpainted yarns in your very own kitchen. In this practical guide to dyeing yarn at home, you’ll learn simple techniques for creating beautiful, colorful yarns–and pick up some new pat
Published November 13th 2007 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing

Sara
Mar 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read this book and "Yarn Works" (W. J. Johnson) on the same day. What a contrast!

This book was fluffy and vague, with a few interesting bits.

For example, the author tells us that boiling wool will "ruin" it, but doesn't say how or why. Will the wool felt, will the luster change, the texture, the color? What about superwash wool? Does the same apply to silk?

Ms La Belle (spelled that way on the cover) provides sections on the different dyes she uses: Ashford (tm), Kiton (tm), Jacquard (tm), Pr
Lucy
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the process; I've already been messing around with food-safe dyes for a while now, and lurking heavily on dyeing groups on Ravelry, so there wasn't much really earthshaking in here for me, but the advice on general dye safety is always a good thing to reinforce. I also got a better idea of what equipment I'll need to start dyeing with non-food acid dyes in my own kitchen. I've really not seen much before about the use of thickeners to get better control over dye flowage, s ...more
Kim
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters, fiber artists
this is a great hands on guide for those who are slightly but not too familiar with the concept of fiber dyeing. it is very clear, and while the author is not explicit about cross processing the fibers/dyes - one can come to conclusions about how to experiment. I would have liked to have a little more core information and at least a glossary to work with - but overall I really think it's a great book.
Sarah King
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in different dyeing methods
I wouldn't say this is the be all, end all yarn dyeing book but it's a resource I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. There were a few ingredients called for in every recipe that were never explained in the section on supplies. Like someone mentioned there was a bit of core information missing. I wouldn't buy this book specifically for the patterns, they weren't really to my liking but I'm sure they would be loved by many others.
Kathleen
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not really interested in hand dying, but I was really curious to know how variegated, self-striping, and speckled yarns are produced. The book offers instructions on dying yarn as well as interviews with dyers who own their own businesses. I'm not really into variegated yarns or the patterns in this book, but other people probably would be. It's just not for me.
Darcy
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Found a great new technique for dyeing that I will be sure to try.
bluetyson
The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits by Linda Labelle (2007)
Amber