Start by marking “The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)

The Stolen Throne

(Dragon Age #1)

The thrilling prequel to Dragon Age: Origins, the hit role-playing video game from award-winning developer BioWare!

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne

After his mother, the beloved Rebel Queen, is betrayed and murdered by her own faithless lords, young Maric becomes the leader of a rebel army attempting to free his nation from the control of a foreign tyrant.

His countrymen live i
Published March 3rd 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen Throne, please sign up.
Mort Onmaz I find it appropriate for all ages. There's no sexuality in this book, and very little gore. It's a brilliant read. If your question is only about the…moreI find it appropriate for all ages. There's no sexuality in this book, and very little gore. It's a brilliant read. If your question is only about the books, they're very appropriate. The games however do contain some sexuality and gore, but I think a 14-18 year old can handle it.(less)

Start your review of The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
Sean Barrs
Imagine yourself strolling through the woods one day. The weather’s nice, you’ve got nothing but catching your dinner on your mind. Everything’s quite peaceful. You’re poaching with your mates. Suddenly, a young prince comes stumbling through the undergrowth. He’s unarmed, exhausted and being chased by your hated enemy.

What would you do?

description

Well, you don’t know he’s a prince. So you take him home to your father’s camp. A day or so later you find your land surrounded by an army of enemies. It’s obv
Markus
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
They howled again, and Loghain raised his voice even further. "Your prince is not here! But when he returns to us, we shall hand to him his stolen throne! Here at the River Dane is where the Dragon Age begins, my friends! Today they will hear us roar!"

The old and strong Kingdom of Ferelden have suffered under the oppression of the Orlesian Empire for almost a century. The relentless conquerors are bent upon destroying the last remnants of resistance and putting the ancient line of Fereldan k
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, game-based
David Gaider once wrote the following on Bioware's blog about The Stolen Throne:

I decided on a prequel. We had identified years ago that there was an excellent untold story to be found in the Ferelden rebellion against Orlais.
It’s referred to many times in the course of the game, but there was a lot more that could be said about it. It was a great tale. Check one mistress, right?
This was before Drew had even written his (most excellent) Mass Effect prequel, so we thought we were being all inno
Charlotte
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
"Hurr durr why do they call it the Taint?" That's a funny name," said Maric, falling off his horse.
Loghain said nothing, merely watching his friend with a stern frown and an icy blue gaze. Then he helped Maric to his feet, and for a perfect moment their eyes were locked (Loghain's stern, icy eyes with Maric's jovial, princely eyes). Then they kissed. They kissed so good that they eliminated all need for the convoluted love polygon that would otherwise comprise a large portion of this book's bori
Keiji Miashin
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
I'll admit out front that I am a big Dragon Age fan. I've played and beaten both the main two entries in this video game series as well as the first flash game, and am steadily pecking away at the second. Even now, as I write this, there's a miniature Grey Warden replica sword on my desk that functions as a letter opener.

That said, I was cautiously optimistic to read The Stolen Throne by David Gaider, who was the lead writer for the Dragon Age games and has worked on a few other classic favorite
Shii
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: DAO players exclusively
Recommended to Shii by: Markus
3½ rounding up to 4 because of the feels!

- It feels good to fight, to stand up to those Orlesian bastards and tell them NO MORE! Your prince is not here! But when he returns to us, we shall hand him his stolen throne! Here at the River Dane is where the Dragon Age begins, my friends! TODAY THEY WILL HEAR US ROAR!

Stolen Throne kicks off from the very beginning giving us a good amount of action. The Rebel Queen Moira has just been set up and murdered, and Prince Maric is on the run for his own
Mogsy (MMOGC)
This is going to sound really nerdy, but I do love game lore. I love it a lot. Books based on video games aren’t always all that good, but I’m not reading them for the award-winning writing. I pick them up for what they bring to the table in terms of the back story and character development. It’s why I choose to read them in the first place, and not just some brief article on the game’s wiki page.

And I do get pleasantly surprised every once in a while. I just finished reading Dragon Age: The Sto
Cameron Harris
What do you get when a video game writer tries his hand at writing a novel? In all honesty, a novel overflowing with horrid plot pacing and unrealistic characterization.

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne serves as a prequel to the video game Dragon Age Origins. The Stolen Throne intrigued me mostly because it was written by David Gaider. Gaider has been a blessing to the video game community for his work on Baldur’s Gate and Knights of the Old Republic. Sadly, Gaider does not understand that writing
Georg
May 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
Emilia
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It is very hard to write an objective review about a story that had engrossed you even before you read the novel. The Stolen Throne was written as a prequel to BioWare Dragon Age: Origins. To people who love the games it almost functions as a manual - containing all the information necessary to understand the relationship between Loghain and Maric. To others - I believe it is not detailed enough. Here we have a book which functions as an introduction to the world of Ferelden - crowded with Elven ...more
Mari Landgrebe
May 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Unless you've played and pretty much loved Dragon Age: Origins, the video game this book is a prequel to, then don't read it. The writing is rather subpar, even so far as finding "Qnueen" instead of Queen. Seriously? I spent much of this book skimming past all the extra descriptives. There was a lot of telling and not nearly enough showing, which overall kept me on the surface of the story.

There was a lot lacking in this book, starting with character and relationship development. I laughed when
Rinn
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2013
Muuuuuch better than I thought it would be, having read some of Bioware's Mass Effect books. A little slow in places but eh, it was nice to get a good background story on some of the characters.

The only thing is, I'm now conflicted over how I feel about Loghain Mac Tir. Meeting this determined, decent young man after meeting the older version in-game, I'm all:

And seeing as I let Alistair behead him at the end of Dragon Age: Origins, I now feel very... strange. He had so much potential!

(And Mari
Augusta Li
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
First off, I have to say I'm retarded for Dragon Age and I'm sure it had influenced my opinion of this book. I was so happy to get to be in Ferelden again!

The premise of The Stolen Throne is the story of how King Maric, father of Cailin and grand-father of Alistair (your fellow Grey Warden in DAO), drives the tyrannical Orlesian invaders from Ferelden and takes back his ancestral throne. He's assisted, reluctantly at first, by Loghain, who you'll know well if you played Origins. Both Maric and L
Iset
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

It is so hard to find good fantasy. So many stories are chock full of stereotypes and so quickly forgotten. Although I like the genre, I tend to approach it with caution because when it's good it's great but when it's bad it runs the gamut from mediocre regurgitation to some of the silliest nonsense you'll ever see. Thank goodness for David Gaider.

The author has excellent story credits behind him, so you would expect him to produce a tale of quality, and for my money he didn't let me down. I wil
Amber
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
July 2019: This book is definitely a four star read. It's a great prequel to the franchise and does a wonderful job setting up the world. I'd recommend it to fans of the games. I can't wait to actually read the sequel this time around.

Feb 2015: I think I'm giving this four stars instead of three because I love Dragon Age. This book is a prequel to the first Dragon Age game and the reason I picked it up. I feel like my hopes for it were too high, but I enjoyed it as it was a fairly quick for me
C.T. Phipps
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grimdark, fantasy
The Dragon Age universe is one of my favorite D&D inspired fantasy settings. It has a direct developer link to Baldur's Gate, which means it's linked to Forgotten Realms, which means it's plugged directly into my childhood. Dragon Age takes itself very seriously despite being game-fiction, which I enjoy a great deal. As a thirty-three-year-old man who reviews video games as well as books, I need to pretend I'm not still the big kid at heart I am. Anyway, to understand this novel I should lend so ...more
Sorina
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

"A dragon had taken to the air... From a distance it seemed almost small, gliding slowly in the air with the snowcapped mountain range behind it... The Chantry had taken it as an omen. The Divine in Val Royeaux had declared the next age was to be called the Dragon Age."

Buddy read with Layla at Buddies Books and Baubles!

First thing first: this was so much better than I expect it to be. In fact, it was great. And not just as a book that is based on a video game. It was a really good fantasy book.
Wendy
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ve recently finished two playthroughs of Dragon Age: Origins and in both, my Warden permitted the same fate for Loghain Mac Tir. It was the fate deserving of his crime, but I never could appreciate the reasoning given for that crime as there seemed to be much more to Loghain. Hence my need to read the books that precede the game.

I had the same desire with Mass Effect’s books in reference to Saren and The Illusive Man, but was disappointed that Drew Karphsyn’s writing was not as spectacular as
Sara Portela
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I cannot with this book. I'm sobbing. SOBBING.
I'm not stupid, I knew this book was going to be tragic, because as a prequel to a game I must have played at least half a dozen times, I knew the events that happen in this book, and more.
But still, the intricate details of how Maric, Rowan and Loghain got the stolen throne back is... tragic as fuck (and if anything, it would made me hate Loghain more than I did).

Excellent EXCELLENT book. Recommend, but also recommend you play Dragon Age
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
This book was useful with regard to learning some of the history and lore of DA, but the writing was atrocious. Like totally ridiculous. All telling and little showing. Out of place phrases. And convoluted sentence structure. This book could have done with massive editing. Sometimes the characters behaved in completely unrealistic unnatural ways and made childish decisions. I'm conflicted about this book. The I formation was good and thus it served it's purpose for me, but the poor writing zappe ...more
Katie
Sep 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
I tried, I really tried. I love dragon age and its world, but when the writing is more tell than show it's very hard to keep going. Especially hard when you know a better book could be taking your time. David Gaider is great at writing video games, but novels not so much. ...more
Jeannette Nikolova
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Prior to the Dragon Age series, which I'm currently reading, I had read only one book which was part of a video game lore and that was one of the Halo books. In all honesty, I hated that one.

So, what brought me to reading Dragon Age? Pretty simple: I recently finished playing the Dragon Age game trilogy and my life seemed empty without them. You know that feeling, when you're done with a book, a TV show, a series of movies... or games, and you don't k
Chelsea
Jun 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dragon Age is my favorite video game franchise of all time and this is the worst book I have ever read.
It is bland, shallow, and completely pointless as a source of relevant Dragon Age lore. The characters are pitiful and cartoonish, the world is flat and empty and monotone, the story is weak, and there is no climax to be seen.
Let me go more in depth because I am in the MOOD.

The characters--
Maric is just Alistair but even more of a bumbling idiot, if you can believe it. I am an Alistair fangirl
Jason
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: medieval-fantasy
If you enjoyed the Dragon Age series of games, this is an acceptable read. It provides a back story to the kingdom of Feredlen, and little more. There were a few good moments, and I did think a bit about a couple of the characters after concluding the book, but overall I can't recommend it to anyone who isn't just thirsting for more Dragon Age story.

As the lead writer for Origins, the Stolen Throne reads just like the game. I can see Maric choosing the 'witty' dialogue choice throughout the book
Anastasia
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.25/5

“Sometimes that which is most precious can be found where you would least expect to.”

Wow. I remember liking it, but I don't remember it being so tragic. Gaider, damn you, were the games not enough?!
But I'm obviously joking, it seemed fitting if a bit (or a lot) sad. The book itself is quite gripping, every time I sat down and read a bit it inspired me to get to know the world better, even if I've played the games multiple times by now.

I love the characters in here, I especially loved t
Traci
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a media tie in book for the videogame Dragon Age. A prelude to the events of the game. So first thing out of the way. A disclaimer, I used to be a RPG junkie. There was a time when I played more games than I read. Today not as much. But I still make time for Bioware the creators of Dragon Age. Although the last few weeks have tested that fandom >_< Okay, so as a admitted fangirl, take my review in two parts.

Never heard of Dragon Age? No interest? Haven't played a game since Atari? Ignore
n ❀
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Miss Banana
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(c/p from The Story Graph) This book ACTUALLY made me like Loghain so I have to give it some props for that -- which I honestly thought was impossible. It was a fun audiobook to listen to at work and definitely makes me want to replay Origins, and I really enjoyed learning about Maric's path to the Ferelden throne which you kind of just learn tangentially during the course of the games.

It is, however, still extremely "ah, yes, that's Gaider writing it" especially when Katriel was introduced (I
Nerine Dorman
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anyone who knows me well will know that I’ve an insatiable appetite for lore. They’ll also know that I’m an incorrigible addict when it comes to fantasy that involves dragons, elves and magic. So needless to say, now that I’ve fallen into the black hole that is BioWare’s Dragon Age franchise, there is no hope for this Middle-earth veteran.

My main motivation for picking up The Stolen Throne *was* for the lore, as well as the backstory for characters and events. When you’re looking at a setting th
Becki
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
For anyone wishing to gain more knowledge of the Dragon Age universe and also make your video game decisions even more challenging.. this book is a great start! David Gaider set the stage perfectly.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Dragon Age Deluxe Edition covers 1 9 Apr 24, 2019 12:45PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Stolen Throne by David Gaider 1 14 Jul 26, 2015 11:59AM

• Dragon Age: Magekiller
  • Dragon Age: Blue Wraith
  • Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect, #1)
  • Hard in Hightown
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 2
  • Dragon Age: Knight Errant
  • Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Dragon Age: Deception
  • Mass Effect: Ascension (Mass Effect, #2)
  • The Art of Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Mass Effect, Volume 1: Redemption
  • Dragon Age: Blue Wraith #1
  • Dragon Age Volume 1
  • Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #1)
  • BioShock: Rapture
  • Anders
David Gaider lives in Edmonton, Alberta, and has worked for video game developer BioWare since 1999. He is the lead writer on the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins role-playing game and has previously worked on such titles as Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Neverwinter Nights.

Dragon Age (6 books)
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age #5)
  • Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights

News & Interviews

“Perhaps this was what Queens did. Perhaps they held their Kings in the darkness, deep within their castles and allowed them that moment of weakness they could never show to anyone else. Perhaps they gave strength to their Kings, because everyone else only took it from them.” 30 likes
“A bard must know history so she does not repeat it. She tells the tales but is never part of them. She watches but remains above what she sees. She inspires passions in others and rules her own.” 18 likes