Start by marking “Tibetan Book of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Tibetan Book of the Dead

Tibetan Book of the Dead

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,695 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews

Traditionally read in the presence of a dead or dying person, the Tibetan Book of the Dead has had a profound influence on Western culture—it is arguably the most influential and best known of Tibetan Buddhist writings. The text instructs the recently deceased on how to negotiate the forty-nine day period after death—and before rebirth—a time filled with visions of both se
Hardcover, illustrated, 228 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Metro Books (first published 1350)

mike
Dec 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i was about 3/4 done with this book when my car was stolen, the book was in the car. i got the car back two days later, but no tibetan book of the dead. hopefully some car thief will have greater understanding on his journey through the next bardo.
Emtiaj
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
এই বইটা পড়ার সাথে কষটকর কোন ভরমণের তুলনা করতে পারি। সিরিয়াস রকমের কষট। পরচুর টারম আছে, মনে রাখতে হয়। এক পৃষঠায় পড়লাম তো পরের পৃষঠা যেতে যেতেই ভুলে গেলাম। বযাপারটা খুব বিরকতিকর। মূল অনুবাদে যাওয়ার আগে যে লেখাটা আছে সেটা পড়া মাতরাতিরিকত কষটের। আসলে পড়া শেষে আমার কথা হচছে, আবার পড়তে হবে।

আর একটা বযাপার হচছে, খুব কষুদর একটা সময়কে অসংখয ভাগে ভাগ করে সেই কষুদর সময়ের বিশাল বরণনাকে কিভাবে দেখে কেউ? আমি এই বইটাকে আবদধ কষেতরে ঘুরপাক খাওয়ার সাথেই তুলনা করতে পারি।

বইটার বিষয়বসতু কী? একটা মানুষ মরে গেল। সব কি
Stacey
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book. Better than I expected, and actually easy to read. Although I'm pretty doubtful that these things exactly happen to you after you die (just how exactly does the author know about all these intricate details!), I still believe in a lot of the concepts it presents, not only for thinking about post-death, but also in this lifetime. The worst thing to fear is fear itself! And your after-life is dictated by the state of your mind in the present life. If you are an angry or ...more
Helen
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: David Calcutt, Sylwia Czort, Peter Tinkler, Emma Hills, Emma Skipp
I have read the Tibetan book of the Dead, but I haven't. To read it once, isn't to read it at all. It takes time, effort, and a particular frame of mind, to truly get to grips with the text. You can take from it what you need, or take all of it, and make of it what you will. I find it very difficult to write a 'review' of the Tibetan Book of the dead. Listen to 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by The Beatles. The choral sounds in this music, reflect (only a little) the spirit of this masterpiece.
Erik Graff
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those really serious about Tibetan Buddhism
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: religion
The YMCA in Park Ridge obtained a new youth counselor after my graduation from Maine South H.S. Jim H. had become a bit of a celebrity amongst our friends, "the Hippies of Hodges Park", by the time of one of my visits home from Grinnell College and we became acquainted. During the summer of 1971 he was reassigned to a YMCA camp in the border lakes region of Northern Minnesota, Camp Wakonda on Lake Vermillion, and had given a general invitation to any and all of us to visit him up there.

Thus it h
Angie
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism, university, 2007
"Then the Lord of Death will drag you by a rope tied round your neck, and cut off your head, tear out your heart, pull out your entrails, lick your brains, drink your blood, eat your flesh and gnaw your bones; but you cannot die, so even though your body is cut into pieces you will recover."

If Buddhism was represented by a bunch of high school cliques, Tibetan Buddhism would be the hardcore bad-asses everyone’s afraid of.

This book is really hard to read simply because of what it’s about: your ex
Nikki
The introduction and the commentary served as a great setup for the text itself, though still didn't prepare me for what I was in for. At first it seemed very different from other Buddhist texts I've read. It definitely didn't have the almost warm-fuzzy, reassuring feeling I get when reading Thich Nhat Hanh's books. But then I was reading through, starting to think the ideas were getting repetitive - I had an epiphany. It's personal and detailed, but it blew open a part of mind. The psychologica ...more
Aaron
Whew! This one took a while.

Thurman's articulation (and sometimes analysis) of the art of death preparation through Tibetan Buddhism is patiently layered. His writing is accessible, if complex, and his translation work, though wordy and abstract, is still digestible given range of abstraction he must have waded through.

THE TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD chronicles the steps necessary to authentically aid an individual's encounters with the many between states of existence. There are two critical facet
Little Miss Esoteric
I really don't want to write reviews anymore, providing data for amazon, but I seriously wish I'd read this book earlier. Puts metaphysical concepts into context. Also, I'm really not interested in nit picking over the merit of alternate translations. It's clear enough, no matter which way it's told.
Edward Michael
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the essential preparation to death. Every spiritual seeker must try to understand this extraordinary wisdom and knowledge
Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz was an anthropologist and writer who was a pioneer in the study of Tibetan Buddhism.

He was born in Trenton, New Jersey, and as a teenager read Madame Blavatsky's Isis Unveiled and The Secret Doctrine and became interested in the teachings of Theosophy. He received both his B.A. and M.A. from Stanford University, where he studied with William James and William Butler Yeat
More about W.Y. Evans-Wentz...
“Practice giving things away, not just things you don't care about, but things you do like. Remember, it is not the size of a gift, it is its quality and the amount of mental attachment you overcome that count. So don't bankrupt yourself on a momentary positive impulse, only to regret it later. Give thought to giving. Give small things, carefully, and observe the mental processes going along with the act of releasing the little thing you liked. (53)
(Quote is actually Robert A F Thurman but Huston Smith, who only wrote the introduction to my edition, seems to be given full credit for this text.)”
72 likes
“With mind distracted, never thinking, "Death is coming,"
To slave away on the pointless business of mundane life,
And then to come out empty--it is a tragic error. (116)
trans by Robert Thurman”