Start by marking “Silver Blaze (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver Blaze (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #1)

Silver Blaze

(Sherlock Holmes Chronicles #49)

One of the most popular Sherlock Holmes short stories, "Silver Blaze" focuses on the disappearance of the titular race horse (a famous winner) on the eve of an important race and on the apparent murder of its trainer. The tale is distinguished by its atmospheric Dartmoor setting and late-Victorian sporting milieu. It also features some of Conan Doyle's most effective plott ...more
Published 2007 by Narasi (first published January 1st 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Blaze, please sign up.

Aishu Rehman
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Silver Blaze is set in the world of horse racing, and one which Dick Francis would have been proud of, yet it is very much a Sherlock Holmes story.

The very elements of what make Holmes a great detective are on display in this tale; as although Inspector Gregory of Scotland Yard has made an arrest in the case, Holmes doesn’t think that the obvious suspect is the right one.

The police have looked at the available evidence and jumped to conclusions; Holmes looks at the evidence and sees what is miss
Miriam
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, victorian
This is the first Sherlock Holmes story I don't recall reading as a child. Not sure if that means I didn't read them all or I forgot this one because it was kind of boring. I don't think Doyle is very interested in horses. The plot was less far-fetched than many of these stories, however.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Perfetc length for a cuppa.
Jaksen
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Greatly atmospheric tale and it involves a horse!

Silver Blaze, the fastest horse in the upcoming Wessox Cup is missing. More so, his trainer is dead. So Holmes and Watson head to Dartmoor to investigate. The solution is simple, the trail leading there not so much, and though I thought I'd figured it out, I didn't.

The famous quote, 'see the value of imagination,' is in this one, which is at odds to how Holmes usually operates, or thinks. (Logic is Holmes' usual mantra.) Plus the even more famous
Oscar Despard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
'Silver Blaze' is a thoroughly enjoyable story featuring Sherlock Holmes at his finest. The story had some humorous parts, which is welcome, considering the one fault of Conan Doyle's work is often that it is too dry compared to some more modern writings from the 'Golden Age,' such as Christie's Poirot. However, 'Silver Blaze' does not have this flaw, and is gripping and witty read throughout. The final solution is supremely simple, yet elegant. Overall, I t's another excellent short story from ...more
Paolina
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever and probably one of the more realistic Holmes mysteries.
Jason Donoghue
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
To be honest the story did not capture my attention. I found it boring and at times tiresome to read. So far my least favourite story of Sherlock Holmes.
Janine Zachariae
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all: I'm kind of obsessed with Sherlock. Even I didn't read much at all but he is just genius. And of cause I love Benedict Cumberbatch.
But this is, obviously, not about the BBC show but the story.

Silver Blaze.
A story about a horse.
Where is Silver Blaze?
Who killed ...?
I love the dialogues between John Watson and Sherlock Holmes. They are always so lively, so full of ironie and sarcasm.
But it is also totally nice, friendly and respective. Their "relationship" is one of my favorites.
Roberto Mattos
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, one of the best short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes. The plot is simple, yet superb: Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. Watson travel by train to Dartmoor, summoned to investigate a crime that has convulsed the newspapers: the disappearance of the great race horse Silver Blaze and the murder of the horse's trainer, John Straker. Inspector Gregory has already arrested a man in connection with John Straker's murder by the time Holmes and Watson arrive at King's Pyland, the Dartm ...more
Nikki May
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Alexander Al Basosi
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I've taken a few weeks break between completing 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' and starting 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes', and this was mainly so that I could read a few other books (by a few I mean six).

Coming back to Arthur Conan Doyle's writing is a breath of fresh air. I immediately noticed the creative way in which he worded the dialogues (and the repetitive use of the word 'singular'); the clever way Holmes built (and eventually rebuilt) his hypothesis with the observation of new
Crime Addict Sifat
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sherlock Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson venture out via prepare to Dartmoor, summoned to examine a wrongdoing that has shook the daily papers: the vanishing of the considerable race horse Silver Blaze and the murder of the stallion's coach, John Straker. Assessor Gregory has just captured a man regarding John Straker's murder when Holmes and Watson touch base at King's Pyland, the Dartmoor stable claimed by Colonel Ross, from which Silver Blaze is absent. The suspect is Fitzroy Simpson, a L ...more
Nina Jon
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess – this is the first Sherlock Holmes I remember reading. It's a short story, it took me less than two hours to read, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It contains the memorable line – the curious incident of the dog in the night-time – and a curious incident it is. The story concerns a thoroughbred racehorse stolen from his stables a night or so before a big race and the murder of his owner that same night. Naturally the police have tried but failed to solve the crime, and Holmes is called u ...more
Jeff Yoak
I think this is my favorite yet, re-reading the original Holmes stories in order. My ongoing complaint is that the stories don't provide the sort of deductive puzzle that I had remembered of them. Usually the puzzle itself is either trivial or the critical elements Holmes needs to reach a solution are concealed from the reader.

Silver Blaze is an exception. All of the facts were in front of the reader and I found myself actually delighting at having put all aspects of the thing together. I found
Julia
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
One (rich) man and his (race) horse.
In fairness, there's not a lot more to say about this story. Aside from remembering, of course, that the curious incident of the dog in the night time, is that the dog did not bark - the absence of any sound or indication, is that very curious incident.
Eye of Sauron
This is one of the best stories in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, and probably the one that's been adapted the most frequently. It's an interesting setting, and the horse aspect is a break from the usual.

The only thing I could think about while reading this was that Psych episode about the horse races.
Bonnie Gleckler Clark
I am and always have been a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle fan...Sherlock Holmes and his power of deduction never cease to amaze me. This, the first story in "The Memoires of Sherlock Homes" is an excellent example of Doyle's Sleuth and his methods. In this short story, a magnificent race horse has been taken and the horses trainer is found murdered. Silver Blaze is scheduled to run in a major race in a week, and Colonel Ross doesn't know what will happen. As always, Holmes solves the crime.
Dan Wilson
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Silver Blaze is a decent whodunnit and is, I believe, the best example so far of Holmes toying with his (de facto) client by prolonging the time between solution and exposition. Don't get on Holmes' bad side.
Kat Ioannides
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Curious incident of the dog in the nighttime"- I love stumbling across allusions I've heard countless times unexpectedly :)
Romik Danial
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
based on the legend of Parsifal and his search for the Grail, using Jungian psychological concepts
Amy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" Love it!
Steven
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, british
Sherlock Holmes shows off his skills as a horse detective.
Wendi
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" comes from!
Catherine  Mustread
Horse racing mystery reminded me of the Dick Francis mystery series.
Rajan
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very mysterious story of my most favorite fictitious character of all time, Sherlock Holmes.

(view spoiler)
Emily
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story because while I felt somewhat accomplished in being able to figure part of the mystery out, there was enough that I didn't figure out to keep me interested. Doyle has a way of both presenting Holmes as brilliant but also making the reader believe she could accomplish the same feat if she just paid closer attention.
John Yelverton
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great Sherlock Holmes mystery as he delves step by step into a mystery that will leave the reader baffled and confused until the very end, and then you realize that all the clues and answers were right in front of you the entire time. This is my favorite type of mystery, and fans of the genre should love this story.
Lloyd Hughes
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Derby is approaching and not only has the favorite gone missing, but his trainer is dead. Surprise! Surprise! Sherlock solves the puzzle and saves the day. Read the story and find out how. 5 stars, which means it's an essential read for anybody who wants to sample Mr. Holmes.
LGandT
What little experience I have with horses helped me to appreciate this one more that I might have otherwise. Though I really can't quite understand

(view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Big Book of Sherlock Holmes Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • The Murders in the Rue Morgue
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Untold Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re

Sherlock Holmes Chronicles (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes Chronicles 01 - Die Moriarty Lüge
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Coils of Time
  • Der Werwolf (Sherlock Holmes Chronicles 3)
  • Sherlock Holmes - Neue Fälle 05: Sherlock Holmes und der Teufel von St. James
  • Sherlock Holmes in Leipzig
  • Das Geheimnis von Compton Lodge: Ein Sherlock Holmes Roman
  • Sherlock Holmes und die Büste der Primavera
  • Die Jagdgesellschaft von Billingshurst: Ein Sherlock Holmes Roman
  • Sherlock Holmes - Neue Fälle 13: Sherlock Holmes und das Freimaurerkomplott
  • Sherlock Holmes Chronicles 10 - Die weiße Frau
“Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?'

'To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.'

'The dog did nothing in the night-time.'

'That was the curious incident,' remarked Sherlock Holmes.”
343 likes