Start by marking “Peeny Butter Fudge” as Want to Read:
Peeny Butter Fudge

Peeny Butter Fudge

Snuggle, snuggle.
Time to rest.
Nana joins us in her nest.

There is no one like Nana in the whole wide world. She is the best. Nana knows how to take an ordinary afternoon and make it extra special! Nap time, story time, and playtime are transformed by fairies, dragons, dancing, and pretending -- and then mixing and fixing yummy, yummy fudge just like Nana and Mommy d
Published September 15th 2009 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Peeny Butter Fudge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peeny Butter Fudge

Start your review of Peeny Butter Fudge
Tami
A sweet, lovely story that will also resonate in the nostalgia department for a lot of adults.

The story is that of children left with their Grandmother while Mom is gone for the day. In the opening illustration we see Mom has left a schedule (and menu) on the refrigerator. Nana, of course, makes sure the children are well-cared for but branches off into her own activities and food choices.

The entire story is about the special love and bond that exist between grandparents and grandchildren. With
SaraLaLa
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Mom goes out for the day and leaves grandma in charge of the 3 kids, complete with instructions for the day. Needless to say, those directions get figuratively thrown out the window and they have a blast. Mom comes home, sees the house is a big mess and is temporarily annoyed until she sees that they've made peanut butter fudge and fondly reminisces her childhood. The end.

This story is told with loads of rhyme and repetition. The illustrations are cute, cartoony and brightly colored. But the be
Tiffany
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised this book came with our curriculum kit and I didn't know Morrison wrote children's books. I loooove this story. It was something the kids related to and there were many opportunities for my students to make personal connections. Also love the illustration.
Teonna Taylor
This rhyming book tells of the activities and fun three children and their grandmother have while their mother is at work.
The Library Lady
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't expect to be impressed by the text of this book--and I wasn't. Just because you're a big name writer of adult books doesn't mean you can write kids books--and Toni Morrison should stick to what she's good at.

What IS wonderful about this book are the exuberant pictures of white haired grandma (who is surprisingly spry for her apparent years)having a grand old time with her grandkids. And the final pages as mom comes back and discovers what the kids and Grandma have been up to are warm an
Scooping it Up
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My kids laughed their heads off at this true-to-life rhyming tale of a Grandma who blatantly ignores mom's schedule and does whatever she wants while babysitting.

Luckily, my kids have two loving, helpful Grandmas who love when I am not there so they can do things "the fun way."

The illustrations are hysterical and despite a language barrier with two of my kids, it was VERY obvious what was happening and the children related, and found it delightful.

We are going to try the recipe included for Pe
Sam Bloom
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm really sort of starting to hate rhyming picture books; unless it is well-done, the rhymes can be really cloying and overly cutesy, like they are in this book. Sort of surprising, considering it's Toni Morrison, for crying out loud.
Dergrossest
Nov 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
The author obviously dialed-in this drivel. I composed better poetry in the 4th grade. Pass.
Ambree
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It made me nostalgic about the days I spent with my grandmother as a child. I loved all of the spur of the moment fun and activities provided by their grandmother in this story.
Ashley Pascual
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: heartwarming
Peeny Butter Fudge is a book about these grandchildren spending the day with their grandmothers. The book shows the reader what the grandchildren and grandmothers do together while their other is at work. From having nap time to solving a puzzle together, this book showcases how much of a good time everyone is having. The author does a great job of showcasing the love the kids have for their grandmother and shows how the bond they have together is one that will last forever. I enjoyed looking at ...more
Corgi
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Peeny Butter Fudge by Toni Morrison and Slade Morrison.

My bookclub is reading a Toni Morrison book for September 2019 and this was one of her books that I choose to read. It is a typical children's picture book with great illustrations and a wonderful story. The story is about a grandmother and her grandchildren and the fun things they do.

I would highly recommend Peeny Butter Fudge to readers who like: well written and illustrated children's picture books.
Kaitlyn Konsmo
I loved the energy and excitement of this book. The kids were having so much fun with their grandma, and the illustrations and rhyme brought this to life. It would be a fun read with grandparents, and I think it is very relatable.

Guided Reading: N/A (estimated F)
ATOS: 1.7
Six Traits: Voice, Presentation
Amy Oberts
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Peeny Butter Fudge" is a multi-generational tale that is sure to entertain young listeners/readers. Its engaging rhymes and captivating illustrations--along with the relatable joy that comes from being spoiled by one's grandma--makes this book a joy to read aloud.
Marlene
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A rhyming story of how one grandmother takes care of her grandchildren, forgets the rules, schedule, and everything else mother asks her to do. Only to have a rip roaring day filled with smiles and love and a little bit of peeny butter fudge.
Emily
This book tells what happens with mom leaves grandma in charge despite a detailed list of what is to be done that day. It goes through the day the children have with their grandmother making memories and doing fun things. This book had some cute illustrations that showed what happens when grandma comes. Overall I felt that it was not as well written as some of the other books I have read. It did really show how much love and energy came into the home when grandma was there and how much fun she w ...more
Anthony
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun, fun story moved by fascinating rhythm!
Erica
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so sweet and beautiful it almost tugged some tears out of me. A loving culturally relevant text for our young African-American readers.
Beth Parmer
Happy story of Nana and the grandkids having fun together. Rhyming book with just a few spots where rhythm seems tricky.
Katie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-lit-toddler, poc
I like both the rhymes and the pictures, but they don't correspond well enough to earn 4 stars.
Karla Winick-Ford
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute
Kids loved it
Caryatid
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty illustrations

The illustrations are fun. The rhymes don’t land well and there isn’t a story; it’s a series of separate pages.
Amy
Oct 10, 2019 added it
Yes, I read this today.
Jai
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute book of a nana and her grands having a cute fun night !
Kevin
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun little ditty about a mischievous grandmother babysitting her grandchildren. The best part is when the mother returns and samples the eponymous fudge and is flooded with memories of fixing that fudge with the grandmother/her mother. A tale told with love.
Treasa
Three children spend the day with their Nana. Their mother had left a very detailed schedule for the day, but Nana knows better. Together the four of them have a day full of fun, culminating in making a batch of delicious Peeny Butter Fudge to share with their mother when she gets back.

There were two reasons I found it hard to like this book. 1) I had read a review of it a while ago that focused on the ridiculousness of the title "Peeny Butter Fudge." It was hard to get that out of my head. 2) T
Kianna Buckner
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Peeny Butter Fudge" by Toni Morrison is a great book. A mother leaves her three children with their grandma. The mother leaves a schedule that she wants them to follow. Instead the grandma wants be cool and do things her way. They completely blew off the schedule and had so much fun with their grandma.

I thought the book was hilarious. It reminded me so much of my grandmas because they were the same way when I was younger. Kids who have a grandma like this would really connect with the book and
Haley Altizer
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the book, Peeny Butter Fudge, by Toni Morrison, tells the story of three younger children who has their nana babysitting them for a day. Nana turns ones boring afternoon, into an afternoon of fun. Nap time, story time and playtime are times full of imagination. After all is destroyed they then move to the kitchen to make a family recipe of Peeny Butter Fudge. When mother returns home from a late night of work she sees all the mess, however she does not seem to care when she is offered fudge. ...more
Melanie Johnson
Cooking with Nana could be really great especially when you get to break some of the rules while your mother is not home. As we all know that when mommy is not around and you are home with grandma everything goes. There is no one like Nana in the whole wide world. She is the best. She knows how to take an ordinary afternoon and make it extra special! Nap time, story time, and playtime are transformed by fairies, dragons, dancing, and pretending and then mixing and fixing yummy, yummy fudge just ...more
Kayo C
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
Although this book is not specifically intended for a "math class" I think that it is a fun way to tie in either the importance of scheduling (elapsed time focus) or how to read a recipe. This might be a fun book to use during fractions, order, or measurment. I would not recommend completeing the recipe that in the book during class because it does require heating and cutting but it would be a good introduction and model into how to read a recipe and then perhaps extensions could be for students ...more
Lindsey Rogers
This story is about three children who stay with their grandmother for the day. Their mother leaves a detailed list on the refrigerator of things for the children to do, but the grandmother has her own fun plans for the day. The children spend the day listening to stories and making fudge with their grandmother. It is a tradition to make the fudge just like their mother did when she was younger. I love how realistic the story line is. I think that by doing this, children will be more invested in ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Am Perfectly Designed
  • I Am Enough
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Firebird
  • Saturday
  • Be Who You Are
  • One Is a Piñata: A Book of Numbers (Learn to Count Books, Numbers Books for Kids, Preschool Numbers Book)
  • I Got Next
  • My Name Is Yoon
  • Llama Llama I Love You
  • I Got the Rhythm
  • City Shapes
Toni Morrison (born Chloe Ardelia Wofford) was an American author, editor, and professor who won the 1993 Nobel Prize in Literature for being an author "who in novels characterized by visionary force and poetic import, gives life to an essential aspect of American reality."

Her novels are known for their epic themes, vivid dialogue, and richly detailed African American characters; among the best k