Start by marking “Fiesta Fiasco” as Want to Read:
Fiesta Fiasco

Fiesta Fiasco

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The friends from the ALA Notable Recording Manana Iguana are back and this time its a birthday celebration. Conejo (a rabbit), Tortuga (a tortoise), and Iguana are looking for regalos (gifts) for Culebra (a snake) to bring to his fiesta. The sneaky Conejo cons the friends into buying gifts that would be right for him but soon regrets his trickster ways. Spanish words for f ...more
Published 2008 (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fiesta Fiasco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiesta Fiasco

Carol Evans
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a cute little story. It's funny and teaches a lesson that can be hard for kids. When you're picking out gifts, think about what your friend/brother/sister would actually want, not what you want. I like the desert animals and how whimsically they're drawn. The warm colors and cartoonish animals are perfect. The author also incorporated several spanish words in the text. A glossary is included in the beginning, so when you're reading it aloud to your kids you can at least get the pronuncia ...more
Juliana Lee
When Gonejo (rabbit) goes shopping with his friends for Gulebra's (snake's) birthday presents, he talks them into getting gifts that he likes not gifts that Gulebra would like. Gulebra kicks him out of the party and the rest of the friends play games. Gonejo returns with new gifts, the original gifts the others wanted to buy in the first place. Now everyone can have fun again, and... they all know what to get Gonejo for his birthday coming up next.
Elizabeth
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, Spanish words are interspersed in this fun story. Rabbit convinces iguana and turtle to buy birthday presents for snake that do not make any sense--a hat, a shirt, and pants. Turns out, those are the things that Rabbit wanted for himself. Rabbit learns the error of his ways. Fortunately, rabbit's will be the next birthday party after snake's!
Kelly
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is the story fun for children, I learned a lot of new Spanish words. In fact, I started out reading this book silently to myself, but ended up reading it out loud, and pronouncing the words correctly, even rolling some of my Rs.

And the story does have a nice message.
Kristina
This was an ok book. my younger kids had a hard time keeping up with what was going on in the story. I think this would be a good book for maybe 3rd or 4th graders.
Destiny
With a little bit of Spanish flair, this book is a fun read. It also helps teach how to be a thoughtful gift giver.
Melissa Morgal
English and Spanish text. There is a Spanish to English glossary in the book. The animals are identified as their Spanish name. Mentions characteristics of Spanish speaking areas (Markets selling shawls, tortillas)

Good mentor text to read to students about having good intentions when picking out gift/something for someone else.
Samantha Kemper
Fiesta Fiasco is about a group of animals trying to throw the perfect birthday party for their friend Culebra the snake. In their preparation for the fiesta, the animals learn what it means to be a good amigo. While the animals do not have any nationality, this book includes a lot of Spanish vocabulary and does a good job providing enough context so that kids can learn what the words mean in English. The book could also be a good transition for Spanish speaking English Language Learners because ...more
LLash
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LATINO book selection:

The story "Fiesta Fiasco" by Ann Whitford Paul was the book I chose that had a Latino background. This book's story was spoken in English and some Hispanic. The great thing about this book, however, is when Hispanic was spoken, there was an English spoken dialogue immediately after clarifying what the Hispanic word meant. For example, Iguana wanted to buy a "globo" for Gulebra. Gonejo defined what "globo" meant by saying "Gulegbra would love a balloon." So, "globo" means ba
Kelsey
Fiesta Fiasco by Anne Whitford Paul and illustrated by Ethan Long tells the story of Iguana, Conejo and Tortuga as they search for regalos and throw a fiesta for Culebra's cumpleaños. Conejo shoots down the ideas of the other two in favor of unsuitable gifts. At the fiesta, he ends up with all of the gifts and is ejected from the celebration. He returns the gifts and buys appropriate presents for Culebra using the ideas of the other two.
The book would be appropriate for readers betweeen five an
I enjoyed this book. I like that it teaches Spanish gradually by naming the characters after what the animal is called in Spanish and they use a few other Spanish words. I got it at my work's book fair this summer and both of my nieces and I enjoyed reading it. It made Farrah feel smart to know that she could figure out some of the Spanish words in the back. Autumn had to use the Spanish glossary in the book. This could be a nice transition for a Spanish speaking ELL student who has a decent gra ...more
Cindi
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of trickster tales from Native Americans, Hispanic culture and the American Southwest, "Fiesta Fiasco" is a delightful story that teaches children to think of others before oneself.

This bilingual book features both English and Spanish words in a tale about four friends; conejo/rabbit, culebra/snake, tortuga/tortoise and iguana. It is culebra's birthday and as his three friends go shopping for gifts, conejo talks each one into buying a gift that is inappropriate for a snake. Afte
Courtney
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
I like this book not for what it is, but how I can see my self using it in a classroom. Not to say it isn't good, because it is good and I enjoyed it, but I can see taking this book farther. This book would be a great introduction or discussion topic for children to learn about equity ("Pants an good for a rabbit, but are they good for a snake?"). This book also is great for EL students or students who are learning Spanish because it goes over a lot of vocabulary and does so from an acquisition, ...more
Amber Adams
This narrative tells the story about friends who are going shopping for a friend's birthday. However the sneaky rabbit tricks the friends into buying gifts for him instead of for Snake. i would use this book in the classroom to teach cause and effect. I will ask them what will happen because Rabbit wanted the gifts for himself? The cause is the rabbit wants these items, the effect is that he tricked the others into buying them for the snake so the snake would give them to him. The students can w ...more
Luanne Hatcher
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Culebra's birthday, and his friends go shopping for his presents. Conejo thinks he knows just what his friend wants and tells the others what to buy. At the birthday party, Culebra is shocked at his presents! Are they just what he wanted or did someone else want them?
This story has a Spanish glossary for the words used in the story, as well as the pronunciations. It's a great story with terrific illustrations.
J-Lynn
from the writing and illustrating team that did Manana, Iguana, Fiesta Fiasco doesn't quite live up to its predecessor. Fiesta doesn't have the lyrical repetition of Manana, it just tells a story of a tricky rabbit. There is a splattering of Spanish words that are defined within the text.

The pictures use yellow, green, orane, and red to paint the desert and the central animals--the cartoons are simple but effective.
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, picturebook
Not as good as some of the other books about these four friends, but still fun for fans of the characters. This could have benefitted from some more spot illustrations to clarify the Spanish vocabulary that's interspersed (in one illustrations a tazon is mentioned as part of the story, but not pictured). The illustrations are the same throughout this series, so see my review of Tortuga in Trouble for my thoughts on them. As an added note though, I love the way Long draws the sun.
Dolly
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Great story, introducing spanish in an immersion style. The translations are listed up front, but the text reads as a mixture of English and Spanish words that is easy to follow. The story also has a moral about selfishness.

Our girls really liked this story and we've borrowed it a few times from the library.
Amy Brown
May 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers through second grade
Sequel to Manana Iguana. When shopping for Culebra's birthday, Conejo convinces his friends Iguana and Tortuga to buy all the wrong presents (presents that he would like!). Includes a glossary of Spanish words used. A great story for kids who like tricksters, for people who want to learn a little bit of Spanish, and for people who love Ann Paul's first book with these characters.
Christy Whitaker
Fiasco may be the right word for the title of this book. While i appreciate the message, the story line was rather flat. Unfortunately, this book did not measure up to its predecessor.' However, it can introduce Spanish vocabulary and culture into the classroom.
Madkropotkin
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it
My daughter picked this book to read today. The story is ok and the illustrations are ok. Nothing amazing, she enjoyed it, but was not elated. I am not a fan of mixing the english and spanish language in the same sentence.
Jen
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, espa-ol, interlingual
This book teaches a good moral, that you should care about your friends and not yourself. THere are some basic Spanish words included in the story. I like this one better than Paul's "Count On Culebra" and "Tortuga in Trouble".
Rachel Coyne
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just plain old fun
Jnase1
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book! I think it not only teaches Spanish words, but it also has a good moral message.
Lindsay
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-kids
We loved these stories and I think I'll have to check out some of the other stories by this author.
Turrean
Tricky rabbit connives at keeping all Snake's gifts for himself. Spanish words are nicely woven into the text.
Beverly
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Funny, with comical illustrations.
Heather
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read with O on Reading Rainbow app. The introduction of a few Spanish words is likely the best thing about this rather boring tales.
Sharie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdg-level-pic
A good book about giving the perfect gift.
Stevie
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about three animal friends going to another friend's birthday fiesta. The book has a lot of spanish words,if you would like to learn some spanish words.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
ANN WHITFORD PAUL, author of 'TWAS THE LATE NIGHT OF CHRISTMAS has always been crazy for Christmas, but overwhelmed by it, too. Afterwards she is worn-out and dreams that someone like Mrs. Saint Nick could help her out with the resulting chaos and mess.

Ann graduated from the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University School of Social Work. She became inspired to write picture books after yea
More about Ann Whitford Paul...