Start by marking “Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)” as Want to Read:
Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)

Children of the Sea, Volume 1

(Children of the Sea / 海獣の子供 #1)

R to L (Japanese Style). When Ruka was younger, she saw a ghost in the water at the aquarium where her dad works. Now she feels drawn toward the aquarium and the two mysterious boys she meets there, Umi and Sora. They were raised by dugongs and hear the same strange calls from the sea as she does.Ruka's dad and the other adults who work at the aquarium are only distantly a ...more
Published July 21st 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Sea, Volume 1, please sign up.
Max No bad language/curses, no sex, no "violence." There is a bit of body horror, though. You never see it happening, but there are a few instances where…moreNo bad language/curses, no sex, no "violence." There is a bit of body horror, though. You never see it happening, but there are a few instances where a body washes onshore with missing legs for example, and that is show in detail. It's mostly mysterious ocean imagery, but it can get pretty creepy at times. In terms of content, I think it's ok for kids 13+ with a penchant for horror. The writing is a bit convoluted and dense, though, so it's probably best revisited as an older teen. There are one or two instances of artful nudity, but it's NEVER sexual (always about being in tune with the ocean and stuff like that).(less)

Jan Philipzig
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this book felt a lot like staring at aquatic life, even though there are not really all that many underwater scenes. Things appeared to be dancing to the beat of a different drum, so to speak - I did not quite get the story’s rhythm, characters, and meanings. “Maybe whales are able to put the sights and emotions they’ve experienced into a form that can be shared by everyone,” one of the characters speculates after listening to a whale song. Maybe. And maybe, one is tempted to add, this b ...more
Seth T.
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
El Morro: Where I Grew Up
[This is where I grew up.]

When I was in second grade, my class took a weekend trip to Catalina Island off the coast of Southern California. It was Spring 1982 and we stayed at a marine institute. I had always been familiar with the island as a distant portion of our smog-soaked skyline,[1] but this would be different. We had spent the better part of our Spring trimester studying the marine life local to Southern California. We were going out to it in a way that our own tide pools rendered imposs
David Schaafsma
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, nature
A fantasy for younger people about sea conservation and mystery. A girl meets two children who have been raised IN the sea, and they deal together with the issue of disappearing fish and other sea creatures… Mystical/spiritual tone. The central focus for me of the series thus far is the high detailed art, to in part help us gain an understanding and appreciation of the sea. It's really lovely. I'll read more.
James
Nov 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Very Few
Shelves: seinen, reviewed, manga, drama
So, with Borders going out of buisness, I visited on the day when 80% of the store was empty and everything was 90% off. I essentially cleared off their manga bookcase which wenty from FIVE HUGE THINGS, to three small bookshelves that could fit in my room. And even those weren't filled, all of them probably could've fit on one. But enough of that, I basically took all the manga they had left figuring I could've selled the ones I didn't like, but one really caught my eye: Children of the Sea. It ...more
Michael
230915: possibly the most beautiful art i have seen in graphic work. in extensive depiction of the seas, the waves, the surf, the rain, the typhoon, the vast cloudless sky, the turbulent stormy sky, this is radically other than graphics set in urban worlds. there is some plot in flashbacks, some testimonies of varied ocean mysteries, some marine sciences, but philosophical insistence we humans know only a fraction of all reality...

there are beautiful images of the aquatic depths, of shadowed fis
Dov Zeller
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read the first three (they only have 1 to 4 at my library! Zoiks.) I would say I'm between a 3 and a 4 for all of them in terms of ratings. The art is great and the story interesting but a little loosely tied together and all over the place. The characters are complex and intriguing. Curious to see where it's heading.
Kaion
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Children of the Sea, Volumes 1-3
Absolutely gorgeous: if you're into marine biology at all, feel at home at the aquarium, or even just like watching underwater Nature episodes, you have to pick up Children of the Sea for Daisuke Igarashi's poetic renderings of underwater sealife (and VIZ Signature includes spectacular color pages with magnificent watercolor work). His art balances between realistic enough to illustrate the ocean and the creatures within in with fidelity (and his true interest and
Zaz
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The story was strange and didn't flow really well. It didn't prevent me to enjoy the read and I really liked all the water, the swimming and the fish. I also appreciated the diversity for the cast diversity (which is unusual in manga) and found Umi and Ruka interesting and pleasant to follow.
Atti
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it bu tit was hard to understand and I didn't get the ending at all.
Caytie
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. It was wonderfully drawn and such an odd story. I can't wait to pick up the next one!

To see a more in depth review, visit my blog.

Sesana
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, comics, fantasy
What an unusual book. I'm most closely reminded of Saturn Apartments, not for the content but for the same slow and easy style of unfolding the story. Our viewpoint character here, Ruka, seems like a fairly typical troubled teenager. Things only get odd when she meets a boy named Umi, and discovers that he and his brother, Sora, were raised by dugongs. Manatees, yes. Something big is happening, but that's off to the side. Mainly, it's about the three teenagers, especially Ruka. I'm looking forwa ...more
Brittany
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This manga intrigued me a couple of times on various shelves at various bookstores until I went to the library, found that they had it, and checked it out. The artwork is just stunning. A beautiful mix of sketchy and refined. Every drawing is done with care. With many manga...when a panel is not as important an artist will put less care into it - fewer lines, less definition, but with this manga Daisuke Igarashi puts his all into every panel. The artwork alone is worth reading this manga, but th ...more
Sakura
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of those fine examples of a manga series where not only is the artwork beautiful, but the presentation of the manga volumes themselves are nice looking and are of a slightly higher quality than most manga. It should be no surprise that such a series is treated this way since this has been one of the more unique manga that I've read within the past year or so.

The synopsis kinda doesn't do this series any justice. You kinda have to pick it up and read for yourself. It's definitely a my
Shazza Maddog
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story starts out on the water, with a boy and an older woman on a sailboat. The woman starts to tell the boy a story, which may be told as flashbacks, it's unclear.

The story is about Ruka, a girl whose parents are divorced. Her father works at an aquarium on the Tokyo Bay, and shares custody with Ruka's mother. Ruka is known as being hot-headed, and her temper gets her kicked off the handball team. While she is 'running away', she winds up at the bay, where she sees a boy swimming out in th
Mars Dorian
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautiful black and white manga (aren't they all?) about kids discovering the mysteries of the sea.
After 300 pages, I still have no clue what's really going on--something about glowing wale sharks, mysterious ocean dying and boys that are semi-mermaids.

Still, the magic and childlike wonder for the marine life is contagious. I flipped through the manga in a single go because I wanted to dive deeper into the aquatic mystery.

The drawing style is simple and scribble-like, apart from the ocean an
Megan M
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Gorgeous and unique, but not really my style. Children of the Sea tells the story of Ruka, a young girl who is fascinated by two boys (Umi and Sora), who were raised by dugongs and feel a deep connection to the sea. The story develops very slowly - too slowly for me - but the concept is intriguing and I can see why this is such a highly rated series. I am so very glad that Viz is bringing manga like Children of the Sea to the States, though, because this is a beautiful volume that proves that co ...more
Peacegal
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This was the first traditional manga I've read, so I had to get a bit used to the "backwards" reading style.

In a storyline that brings to mind the animated movie "Ponyo," a little girl with a strange connection to the sea meets two brothers who are more ocean creature than human.

This one was pretty fun, with enjoyable artwork. However, I wasn't always thrilled by the translation. It seemed as if the words most frequently spoken by Ruka, the main character, were "Huh," "Oh," and "What?" I found
Gurra
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I think the main plot about the disapperance of the worlds fishes is interesting but something that did not have a chance to evolve in this first book.
Umi and Soras upbringing by dugongs is original but I dont buy it that Umi and Sora just adapted their water abilities as a cause of that. There could be a more beliveable explanation for that.
All in all the first book worked as an okay teaser for what is to come, I hope.
Rob Boley
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Children of the Sea is a beautiful example of how words and pictures can conspire together to brilliantly impact the reader. This is the start of a charming story that's poignant, surreal, and inspiring. The main character is a young girl named Ruka who has a special connection with the sea. She explores this connection in the context of a much larger mystery--the worldwide disappearance of several fish from across the globe. I'm excited to see where this epic story goes...
Terri
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stunningly beautiful artwork and a sweet, intriguing mystery about three children - two raised by dugongs (a kind of fish) and one raised on the land as they investigate the disappearance of many fish throughout the oceans. The story has the quality of myth, grounded by Ruka, the more "normal" child as she also handles her daily life, her divorced parents, and her own coming of age.
Tara Schaafsma
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Weird. But I do want to read the next ones in the series. It is kind of intriguing. 2 kids raised in the sea, and there are mystical things, and science things, and I'm interested in how it'll come together.
Jenny
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want to be a child of the sea. Beautiful art, I recommend this to all you ocean minded folk out there, the water scenes were enchanting! The story was a little tough, I didn't totally get it but I would like to read more.
Nnedi
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
loved this! id never heard of it. i just happened to pick it up at the library. the art is excellent and the plot is highly compelling. im going to go look for the next volume right now.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ggn10, manga
Interesting to read after watching "Avatar" in 3D - similar themes of interconnectedness with nature, aliens, and "seeing" things.
Caroline
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Really beautiful art, but the story didn't grab be. I probably won't read anymore unless someone convinces me.
Emily
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
one of my very favourite artists. shame that my copy has big chunks of the book out of order... frustrating.
Mike
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mike by: Josei and Seinen Readers
Quick thoughts: The author has a great sense of pacing and storytelling. The world building and slowly unraveling mysteries are fantastic.

Cait
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cait by: Melinda Beasi
Absolutely gorgeous art, and I'm definitely intrigued by the story and the characters.
Jenna
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Intriguing and very different. I like the drawing style.
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
Cover: Pretty
Rating: 3 Stars
Overall: A good start
Characters: Interesting
Plot: When fish start acting strangely, Ruka asks her new friends Umi and Sora about it.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Source: Library

I picked this one up, after one of the later volumes caught my eye. While I didn't love this one, it did keep me reading, and I will be getting the next book when I go back to the library. This is an unusual story, and as its just starting, I'm really not sure what its about,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Josei and Seinen ...: Children of the Sea 8 13 Sep 21, 2014 03:49PM

• Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #1)
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 1
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 5 (A Bride's Story, #5)
Daisuke Igarashi (五十嵐 大介 Igarashi Daisuke) is a critically acclaimed manga artist. He began his professional career in 1993. Igarashi is known among manga fans for his bold, detailed art style and innovative storytelling.

While he is not a major commercial force in Japan, Igarashi is well respected in critical circles. His manga Witches received an Excellence Prize at the 2004 Japan Media Arts Fes

Children of the Sea / 海獣の子供 (5 books)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 4 (Children of the Sea, #4)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 5 (Children of the Sea, #5)