Start by marking “Punisher: War Zone: The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci” as Want to Read:
Punisher: War Zone: The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci

Punisher: War Zone: The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci (Punisher)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  326 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The latest offering from the red-hot Marvel Knights line reunites the seminal creative team of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon for a sequel to their legendary story arc, "Welcome Back, Frank." It all starts when two mobsters take a trip to the zoo and piss off the wrong monkey. Limbs are lost (the kind you can't easily replace), vultures are fed (with said appendages), and th ...more
Published April 29th 2009 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Punisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punisher

William Thomas
Does anyone remember that in First Blood, Rambo was just a really really good Green Beret and not some steroid freak terminating at will with a cartoonish thirst to see every shell casing emptied and every pint of blood spilled? That the second Rambo movie was jacked up on the 80's excesses, mainlined the entire culture right into it's veins- steroids and cocaine and gasoline and cowboy Reagan ethics, and war like we hadn't seen since WWII, a bloodlust and crazed desire for revenge and occupatio ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
An old villain of Frank's is back in town, the notorious Ma Gnucci! A masked villain out to avenge his father's death at the hands of the Punisher is also out for revenge. And a police detective slowly coming off the rails is gunning for Frank as her secret relationship with a budding actress has her stressed out. It never rains but it pours, eh Frank?

The team behind the legendary series "Preacher" reunites in this short but explosive run on "The Punisher". Garth Ennis is probably Frank Castle'
arjuna
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Big fun ride that serves both as a satisfying curtain call to Welcome Back Frank, and a satisfying piece of Ennisy goodness in its own right. Ennis is one of those people who consistently go too far... and then again... and then again... and he gets away with it far more often than should be humanly possible. Which is to all our benefits, I think; he serves as a very interesting mirror on where we stand, without ever anvilling the idea. This little exercise is quite calm for him, really, but sti ...more
Martin
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
While not as great as the landmark The Punisher, Vol. 1: Welcome Back, Frank (to which this is a direct sequel), and not just because it's "only" six issues long (instead of the 12 in "Welcome Back, Frank"), this one still hits all the right notes. The violence and Black comedy are also back, but the villain of the piece (let's forget about Ma Gnucci for the moment) is a mere redux of one from the previous story. I think Ennis could've come up with an entirely new villain, instead of recycling a ...more
Joe Young
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Garth Ennis - writer
Steve Dillon - artist

4.5/5 stars

In a sequel to the fantastic "Welcome Back, Frank" storyline, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon bring back all the characters including ... Ma Gnucci? It seems like the fesity, quadruple-amputee mob maven is back from the dead to torment Frank Castle! Dark humor and ultra-violence abound in traditional Ennis style with typically awesome art from Dillon.
Michael
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
This is funny but violent (this is Ennis doing Punisher with his Preacher com-padre on the art after all). Maybe there are a few too many gross-out moments but still a decent read. Dillon delivers the usual Dillon over the top visuals - you either like 'em or you don't. No great shakes with the plot but the action is good and at least this is a proper attempt at a Punisher comic book arc rather than the usual key-note pre-meditated boil-in-the-bag graphic novel.
Neil
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This is probably one of my least favorite Punisher story arcs. It was a good enough story that I felt obligated to keep reading until the end, but after I felt a little underwhelmed after I finished it. My only gripe is that the plot is kind of paper-thin (literally, mwahahaha). The art was good but the book just trudges along with the impact of your least favorite action film. 3 stars, wah wah waaaaaah.
Michael
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Punisher Fans
I'm not the biggest Punisher fan, but I do like Garth Ennis run on the Punisher. I think the art held up well for the story, but the story itself was not amazing. I felt like Ennis phoned it in for this comic. It was just a revisit of the first Marvel Knights imprint of Punisher. That story was amazing compared to this. Ennis has done better Punisher stories and I feel he could have done better here.
Mark
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ennis and Dillon return to the Punisher, but this one seems a bit phoned in: the main storyline is implausible even for a comic book (how Ma returns from the dead), and in spite of the return of a few great old characters, the whole plot never really comes together. After the excellent final arc from the the Ennis-Dillon team on the Max title (VALLEY FORGE VALLEY FORGE), I'm kind of wishing I'd missed this one.
Du4
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Kind of a weird story to revisit for Ennis and Dillon, whose PUNISHER run was some of the funniest stuff I've ever read. This story doesn't match the comedy of that run, and I can't help but ask why these two would reunite for something like this, especially after Ennis' defining run on PUNISHER MAX. Still worth a read and as always, Dillon delivers on the art chops.
Adam
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was great. A really nice return to form from Ennis and Dillon. After suffering through some truly awful Punisher comics courtesy of Matt Fraction and others, it was great to read a story that handled the character well. Humor (especially violent, dark humor) is great in Punisher stories, but Ennis knows that the Punisher himself has no sense of humor, which is the key.
Terry Collins
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Ennis and Dillon's days on The Punisher - particularly the black as blood-soaked velvet splat-stick humor they used for Frank AND his supporting cast of characters. This is a sequel to an earlier storyline, but is easily followed if you come across this graphic novel collection first.
Jack Picone
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
B-/B
Kathy
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Garth Ennis really should write Punisher more often.
David
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
It was ok. Not Really Ennis' best Punisher story.
Caleb
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Like Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon never left.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This was interesting. Good volume.
Jon
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Always gotta love the Garth Ennis + Steve Dillon combo! Unless you're squeamish.
Timo
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A good sequel to the Ma Gnucci saga which ties Elite to the story oh-so-smoothly.
And it really did not hurt to have art by Steve Dillon. He is good.
Viki Kayima
  • Afrodisiac
  • Punisher Noir
  • Black Summer
  • Silverfish
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

Punisher (1 - 10 of 122 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: The Punisher Strikes Twice