Start by marking “Africanus: El hijo del cónsul (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #1)” as Want to Read:
Africanus: El hijo del cónsul (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #1)

Africanus: El hijo del cónsul

(Scipione L'Africano #1)

A finales del siglo IV antes de Cristo, Roma se encontraba a punto de ser aniquilada por los ejércitos cartagineses al mando de Aníbal. Ese era su inexorable destino hasta que surgió un solo hombre, un joven oficial de las legiones, que transformó lo que debía ocurrir en lo que finalmente fue: la génesis de un imperio y una civilización secular en el tiempo y en la histori ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Barcelona: Ediciones B Grupo Zeta (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Africanus, please sign up.
José Luis This is an enterteinment book. Despite of this the author respect hisory and documetation is awesome. I have enjoyed a lot reading the first one,you…moreThis is an enterteinment book. Despite of this the author respect hisory and documetation is awesome. I have enjoyed a lot reading the first one,you will enjoy if you like the romans (less)

Start your review of Africanus: El hijo del cónsul (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #1)
Jose
A fast pace book that summarizes the early years of Scipio the African. The Spaniard writer keeps you interested to the end.

For those who want to familiarize with that period without recurring to heavy history books this is a good start.
Carmen C.
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review brought by Geekly Review

When writing a historical novel the balance between the ‘novel’ and ‘historical’ parts is essential. It is important to be respectful with history and maintain oneself faithful to the personalities and events that took place, but also to give them life and personalities so that these flow with logic and interest. To my knowledge it hasn’t been translated into English yet, so this review is of the original Spanish publication.

‘El hijo del cónsul’, by Santiag
Carlos
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating combination of engaging narrative with profound historical references. This is a top choice in the suggestions list, one of those authors that draw people into the great world of books.
Angel 一匹狼
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Horrible, horrible, horrible. Simple and lazy as they come, "Africanus: El hijo del cónsul" is a lame excuse for a book, a lame excuse where the author falls for all the worst behaviors an author can fall for.

Lets start with the story: the book retells the story of the Second Punic Wars, with Hannibal crossing the Alps and attacking Rome, and the youth and first years as a soldier of Scipio Africanus. You know, the stuff of legends, history, fun (no, really, I like history). Sadly fo
Chema
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Actually this was a re-reading, but as I didn't really pay attention the first time (almost 5 years ago), I thought it was worth the try.
The plot revolves around a b. C. Rome, more precisely during one of their wars against Carthage (placed on the Mediterranean North-Africa; currently in Tunisia), specially focused on Hispania (current Spain and Portugal), Rome and south Italy. These areas were relevant to the conflict, as they hosted some of the greatest battles during the story - I need to hi
Hiram
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is just an amazing book. It captures yourself, what a good writer who taking into account a number of sources, gives a well documented novel to introduce you in that ancient world. highly recommended due to an easy reading and learning.
Alejandro Pier
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great history novel!! It has great balance between the historical part and the narrative related to the novel. It keeps you enterteined all the way to the end. In my case, it made me want to understand more about the characters, the time, the battles, etc.
Nicolas Alvarez Bedoya
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Master piece
Daniel Pinzón
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A pleasent history class.
Victor Ramirez Urueta
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Great story, great moments, great history
Naie Eian
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a book with a mix of novel + historiy. This was a perfect mix and not just that, it has an exquisite dosis of suspense.
Daniel Rayo
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, I enjoyed this novel mix with historical facts and become really interested in the roman empire
Alberto Tagle
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional, outstanding
Liviu
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mainstream, read_2010
What a ride! A huge historical novel, first in a trilogy about Scipio Africanus, it follows the hero from birth in 235 to New Carthage in 209 though it has a huge cast with many notable characters (Fabius Maximus, Plautus, Hannibal, Scipio's father and uncle); while the first part is somewhat episodic, the novel gets going from the siege of Saguntum on and the last third is nothing short of awesome with some of the most emotional moments, some of the most intense all interspersed with plautus de ...more
Diego Iglesias
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good historic novel about the second punic war between Rome and Carthage. Great for remember and learn some more history about this two civilizations. The author shows the history from all perspectives: the main character Publio,a patrician. Tito Macio Plauto, famous roman writer, and my favourite, Anibal the general from the carthaginian side.
I love how the battles are described and the strategy both sides follow in critical moments. The book is written with a fluid prose, that makes you
Cyriaco Bernardino Duarte de Almeida Brandao Jr
Certainly the best way of learning about one of romans best general while understand romans life in the republic.
Daniel T
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I most definitely have a predilection for historical novels, and Santiago Posteguillo's "Africanus: el hijo del cónsul" just further strengthened this predilection. After starting this book, I simply could not put it down. This is a great read for anyone interested in the history of ancient Rome. I already purchased and stand ready to devour the second book of this trilogy "Las Legiones Malditas".
Cristina
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Fascinating look into the 2nd Punic War and Hannibal's crossing from Spain to Italy with his army and elephants, centering on the personal lives of Hannibal and young Roman Patrician Publio Cornelio Escipio. History comes to life!
Miguel Mancera
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great narrative of the life of two of the greatest man of all time. The even mythical figh beteween two outsandingly great generals that will do anyting to acheive their goals. A little frustrating that the great Hannibal ends ups that way, after all he is the one that kickstarted everything.
Jorge
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting and informative, I learnt many things about Rome nd its empire. Nevertheless, against most of the reviews I have read , I found it too long, too many battles , too much blood. I doubt I will give a chance to the second part
Gustavo Adolfo
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The First ot the Fifth I read this Summer ;-)
Pedro Lima
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Super historical novel..just could not stop
Myriam Flores
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A little bit too long, but very engaging.
William Bettencourt
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good, well written, there are some sub plots that i cant see why are they there, but overall is a pretty good book
Gabriela Blue
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! If you are interested in Roman history and its impact in the Iberian peninsula, but you don't want to read a treatise, this is the book.
Elio Cerrato
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
EXCELENTE
Marcela
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended if you like history!
Juan Carlos
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Book. Great History. Easy to reading. Interesting until to the ende.
May Nantes
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever!!! I adore Publio!!!
Natalia Santamaria
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the best historic novels I've read.
Passion, legend, war, honor... you will find it all

• Salamina
  • El imperio eres tú
  • La catedral del mar (La catedral del mar, #1)
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • El asesinato de Sócrates
  • Una historia de España
  • La leyenda del ladrón
  • Sabotaje (Falcó #3)
  • Los pilares de la tierra I (Parte 1 de 3)
  • Cabo Trafalgar
  • Falcó
  • El caballero del jubón amarillo (Las aventuras del capitán Alatriste, #5)
  • The Ends of the Earth (Aléxandros, #3)
  • The Lost Army
  • Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto
  • The Assyrian
  • Captain Alatriste (Adventures of Captain Alatriste, #1)
  • El oro del rey (Las aventuras del capitán Alatriste, #4)
Santiago Posteguillo is senior lecturer in English Language and Linguistics at the Universitat Jaume I, Castellón, Spain. He is also president of the European Association of Languages for Specific Purposes, and a member of the Editorial Board of the international journals English for Specific Purposes and Written Communication. His latest publications include Netlinguistics: Language, Discourse an ...more

Scipione L'Africano (4 books)
  • Las legiones malditas (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #2)
  • Il tradimento di Roma
  • La fine di Scipione
“El miedo en la gente, hábilmente gestionado, puede darte el poder absoluto. La gente con miedo se deja conducir dócilmente.” 13 likes
“a veces la más grande de las victorias se construye sobre muchas derrotas previas.” 8 likes