Start by marking “Stone And The Maiden Mm” as Want to Read:
Stone And The Maiden  Mm

Stone And The Maiden Mm (The House of the Pandragore #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Dennis Jones is a brilliant new voice in fantasy fiction. The Stone and the Maiden, his first foray into the genre, has been enthusiastically received in Canada and the US, and readers of this first book in The House of the Pandragore trilogy can’t wait for the next instalment.

It’s easy to see why: The Stone and the Maiden is a spellbinding tale of peril, passion, sorcery
Published August 7th 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 29th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stone And The Maiden Mm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone And The Maiden Mm

Zelly B.
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ... I hesitate to give it a 5-star rating, and put it into my favourites shelf.

But, there you have it.

I first read this book ... maybe a year after it'd come out, a random find in the public library, and I absolutely loved it. I was really young and impressionable, and I was finding my own footing as a fantasy writer, and this book kind of made me really, really happy.

Then I bought a copy for myself a few years later, reread it, and gasped in horror at my taste.

It is a decent story, if wholly
Elizabeth
This is an incredibly quirky and odd story, with a side of entertainment and cliches. I suggest this for anyone who likes fantasy and random marriages that happen midway through the story. It's not a bad story- I found it very delightful (save for a few moments that dragged on and on).
Dallas Nateweyes
Company, c/o.
theduckthief
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it
"Theatana's palms were damp with suppressed excitement. She folded her arms, and with her fingertips stroked the brocading of her cloth-of-silver sleeves. Below the window where she stood, the small paved rectangle of the Penitential Yard lay cold and gray in the dawn. The courtyard was deep in the oldest part of the Numera, next to the prison beneath the Bucelon Ravelin, and in the courtyard's center stood a double gallows."

A horde of barbarians are invading The Ascendancy, an ages old kingdom
Natalie
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. The writing is not always as tight as it could be, but the plot is exciting and cohesive, the characters are fun to follow, and the world is so richly and perfectly imagined that it makes up for almost everything else. Several cuts above bodice-ripper fantasy (you know, the shirtless guy and the dragon and the swooning damsel). Only criticisms: a) the romantic tension is well-done and properly understated, but its eventual replacement does not live up to its predecessor (e. ...more
Happy Bookaholic
Maybe this book just came to me at the right time but I found it impossible to put down! It was thrilling, chilling, adventurous, and a little cliche. There was the typical ancient beings, a lengthy quest, "unexpected" backgrounds, fate, mystical beings, good vs. evil, etc. but Dennis Jones' telling of the tale was fresh and kept me on the edge of my seat. There are unexpected twists and turns, revenge, insanity, epic battles between good and evil, death, and true love.

Over all a very very good
Lindy
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. It's straightforward fantasy with evil magical sorcerers and black magic and kings and princesses. A little predictable but fun nonetheless. If you're looking for a talented author tackle straight up fantasy this is a great book. I especially enjoyed Jones' writing style.
Lyssa
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of David Eddings
Shelves: fantasy
This book was a classic "epic" fantasy. It had lots of adventure, angst, and magical elements. A great amount of fictional history (which is always enjoyable, if you ask me), and a good promise of a sequel. Obviously a first novel, with several cliches and some "easy" transitions, but overall, a good book.
Renée Yoxon
I read this when I was 15 because someone told me there was a sex scene in it. I was deeply disappointed by the mere paragraph of sex and was left with the feeling (which unfortunately foreshadowed much if my teenage sex life) "is that it?"

I'm sure I'd like this if I reread it now but there you have it.
Janette
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I enjoyed it, but it was a fairly stereotypical fantasy tale.
  • Disturbed by Her Song
  • Bizenghast: The Novel
  • Ms. Marvel, #18: Last Days, Part III
  • Wonder Woman (2016-) #1
  • Elizabeth Rex
  • Lumberjanes #21
  • A Fool's Errand (The Gypsy King #2)
  • Over The Garden Wall #1
  • Ghosts and Other Plays (Ghosts; A Public Enemy; When We Dead Awake)
  • 8House: Arclight #1
  • Takarazuka: Sexual Politics & Popular Culture in Modern Japan
  • Lumberjanes: Beyond Bay Leaf Special #1
  • The Letter (Reformed Rakes, #1)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Once Upon An Accident, #2)
  • The Lone Warrior (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #3)
More about Dennis Jones...

The House of the Pandragore (2 books)
  • The Mask and the Sorceress (The House of the Pandragore, #2)