Start by marking “A Peterson Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico” as Want to Read:
A Peterson Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico

A Peterson Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico

(Peterson Field Guides #19)

Find what you're looking for with Peterson Field Guides—their field-tested visual identification system is designed to help you differentiate thousands of unique species accurately every time.  Detailed descriptions of insect orders, families, and many individual species are illustrated with 1,300 drawings and 142 superb color paintings. Illustrations - which use the uniqu ...more
Published April 15th 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1970)

Start your review of A Peterson Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
Rene
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
this is a cute little book with color photos of insects, and is a beginners guide to identifying basic orders and species of insects. this is a great book for learning in the field!
Sarah Ehinger
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Detailed images for identification and brief descriptions of each bug.
Shalandra Rivera
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Wow this was my third insect field guide, and I must say I didn't expect to find it useful at all because it uses illustrations rather than photographs and its age, but man I was wrong.
I use this book heavily juxtaposed to National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of NA.
I also own Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of NA and I will address all three books in this review which can be found on all of these books' pages:
Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America by Eric R. Eaton
Kaufman is good for its many pictures mostly consisten
Amanda
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scientific-texts
A decent field guide: useful enough for helping with basic identification while out collecting, with good chapters on how to collect and preserve specimens. Because it covers a large geographical range, it will not be as helpful in getting down to the family or genus level in identification, but it is a good starting point.
Jamie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book for beginners...everything is here to help you identify that strange insect you saw. But this edition dates pretty far back and there are so many more up-to-date field guides with beautiful photographs as opposed to these black and white drawings.
Scott Cox
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The diagnostic field marks included in this Peterson Field Guide are very helpful in identifying some of the more common orders & families of North American insects. The color plates are especially stunning; I just wish the guide could have included more species.
Cody Carlson
I found the book quite interesting for those who wish to learn a bit about Insects. Had many nice facts in it. And kept me on the subject for a long time. Not to mention how nice the imagery was that was in the book. Personally one of my top books on entomology.
Anna Lehmicke
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book helped my accurately identify like, 3 kinds of insects so far. The colored pictures are pretty.
Patrick\
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guides
I don't know how many of this book gets sold, but the effort and content is well worth the price. You never know which walking stick you might find on your back porch. ...more
Ann
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A must have for the beginner-intermediate field entomologist! This book has gotten me through many years of identification.
William
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good descriptions.

Lacks photos but excellent illustrations more than make up for it.

I read the library copy but worth buying.
Myra Sullivan
May 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Probably better for the bug fanatic. Me? Not so much.
John
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: insects, nature
This guide has limited coverage of insect species, but it has very useful keys for identifying insects into the correct orders and families.
Caesar
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Good for beginners, but kind of out of date at this point for the experienced entomologist.
Dyann
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent descriptions and information.
Jlaro
John Connelly
May 20, 2016
Kayla
Feb 27, 2017

• Warriors and Weapons: An Adventurer's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons)
  • The Word for World is Forest (Hainish Cycle, #5)
  • Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer
  • Spiders and Their Kin
  • Nora: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 9: The Release (Nora, #9)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 5 (Nora, #5)
  • Triple Zero  (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #2)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 3 (Nora, #3)
  • Politics
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Piano
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 8 (Nora, #8)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 7 (Nora, #7)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 1 (Nora, #1)
  • Backyard Guide to the Night Sky
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 2 (Nora, #2)
  • Shatterpoint (Star Wars: Clone Wars #1)
  • True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #3)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 4 (Nora, #4)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Donald Joyce Borror was a professor of entomology and zoology at Ohio State University. He founded the Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics at the university, which houses one of the largest collections of recorded animal sounds in the world - it has more than 30,000 recordings of over 1400 species of animals.

As an entomologist and naturalist, he is known best as an expert on the order Odonata (drago

Peterson Field Guides (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • A Field Guide to Shells: Atlantic and Gulf Coasts and the West Indies
  • A Field Guide to Eastern Butterflies
  • Peterson Field Guide to Mammals of North America
  • A Field Guide to Pacific Coast Shells
  • A Peterson Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Ferns of Northeastern and Central North America