Start by marking “The Temples of Kyoto” as Want to Read:
The Temples of Kyoto

The Temples of Kyoto

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Take an illustrated tour of the marvellous temples of Kyoto with Donald Richie, "the dean of art critics in Japan."
Published 1995 by Tuttle Publishing (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Temples of Kyoto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temples of Kyoto

Paul Hartzog
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history, own
Ok, my Mom got me this after I commented on it in a used bookstore, which I did because I was struck by the overall presentation of the book. Tasteful temple imagery and a personal (through the author's lens) look at some of the history and information concerning the temples around Kyoto. The whole package came across as humble, kind, and interesting. Even the title is not pretentious.

I was not disappointed. Given that the author is a highly respected scholar of Japan it could've been pretentiou
Jason Keenan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
Getting ready to visit Kyoto this handy dandy little volume is more a tour guide to history than to the temples of the town. With hundreds of temples to choose from this zeros in on just a few. It's not a guide to the most important or even the most spectacular. It's a window into the history of Japan, Kyoto, and Buddhism told through the stories of these select temples.

Add in that it is by Donald Richie, such a brave and talented writer, makes this is a must read volume.
Connie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice overview and history of some of the many temples in Kyoto. The photos are very nice with interesting views of the temples. There is a nice mix of famous and not so famous temples. I discovered a few I wish I had visited and learned more about some of my favorite ones!
Lauren
Jan 14, 2016
Cheryl
May 20, 2016
19871
Donald Richie is an American-born author who has written about the Japanese people and Japanese cinema. Although he considers himself only a writer, Richie has directed many experimental films, the first when he was 17. Although Richie speaks Japanese fluently, he can neither read nor write it.

During World War II, he served aboard Liberty ships as a purser and medical officer. By then he had alrea
More about Donald Richie...