Start by marking “Speaking Sex to Power: The Politics of Queer Sex” as Want to Read:
Speaking Sex to Power: The Politics of Queer Sex

Speaking Sex to Power: The Politics of Queer Sex

Hailed "a revolutionary antidote to America's growing sexual conservatism," Patrick Califia is the most outspoken and intelligent commentator on sexual politics writing today. Following the acclaimed publication of Public Sex and Sex Changes, Califia once again exposes American mainstream culture with unrivaled brillance and integrity.

As controversial in writing about the
Published December 20th 2002 by Cleis Press (first published November 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Sex to Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Sex to Power

Start your review of Speaking Sex to Power: The Politics of Queer Sex
Leah
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Look, I can appreciate any book that deviates from the safe, agreed upon discourse about the politics of anything to tell us "how they really feel." In truth, though, I just don't like Patrick Califia. I read an essay of his in the Ultimate Guide to Kink and crinkled my nose a bunch and had to look him up to see what place he had in writing anything anyone should listen to. A transman top who has had more than his fair share of play, okay, fine.

This book doesn't really give you what you think yo
Avory
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall an interesting essay collection addressing political topics around sexuality, transitioning, losing an abusive parent, queer parenting, AIDS, S/M, and more from the perspective of a transitioning person in the kink scene in the late 90s and early 2000s. Some of it's pretty dated and occasionally misogynistic, but nuanced enough to not totally break empathy. It's an interesting snapshot.
Dawnekins
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
trying to finish it... this author is truly so narcissistic it's almost nauseating, but the content is ok and the historical content is interesting...

as of 11/7/11 I have given up, too many other good reads out there to waste my brain cells on this anymore, better writing next time, (to the author)
Harper
Feb 19, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a good book, kind of a narrow outlook on trans identity. Seems to be caught up in the "dykes don't accept us trans people" argument. But it's a good historical account of non - normative sexuality.
Bryan Cebulski
Some of these essays are well worth your time, but it's tough to recommend the collection as a whole. Many pieces hold a similar message but come at it from slightly different directions, making it feel redundant in places. Further contributing to that feeling, Califia-Rice discusses as if new (because maybe at the time they were, relatively) subjects that people who've read a few books on gender are probably already well familiar with.

Still, there are certain essays I don't think any other writ
Rj
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Perhaps the only thing that makes it possible for this caravan of sex and gender outlaws to trundle on toward a frontier of greater freedom is a concomitant drive to examine identity politics and possibly even do away with it. It is more and more common for people who want to work for social change to try to build coalitions or to eschew loyalty to any particular group and instead seek out comrades who share their values and agendas. This approach to radicalism will probably reveal some flaws o ...more
Caty
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pre-finishing-the-book first impressions:It's hard getting used to Pat/Patrick as an FTM rather than a butch dyke, and a married parent to boot! But he approaches it with the same kinky iconoclasm he's so justifiably known well for, with humor, perversity and originality. He's the first person to bring up queer divorce as the corrolary to queer marriage whom I've read. God, he's wonderful. It's a good thing I borrowed something newer, or I'd be stuck reading his older essays, _Macho Sluts_ and e ...more
AB
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This collection of essays from Pat Califia is enlightening, and at times completely heartbreaking. Great for those who want to learn more about BDSM lifestyles, trans issues and the history of queerness in the United States. Note that there is a great temporal separation between essays, which sometimes shows a great contrast in Califia's views. Nevertheless, this is a strong collection, recommended.
Christian Lillis
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about framing a politics of desire. Taken from Califia's numerous articles and essays, it also serves as a historical document of the numerous culture wars of the last 10 years.
Tobi
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My copy was borrowed and never returned, so its hard for me to remember it so well. But being a fan of Patrick's work, it was quite a joy to see some of his personal essays regarding his transition.
Niklas Lo
Aug 31, 2011
June Amelia Rose
Jan 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Patrick Califia-Rice, who formerly wrote under the names Pat Califia and Patrick Califia, is a writer of nonfiction (on men, gender, transgender identity, and sexuality) and fiction (erotica, poetry, and short stories). ...more

News & Interviews