Start by marking “My Daddy Is a Pretzel” as Want to Read:
My Daddy Is a Pretzel

My Daddy Is a Pretzel

Twist your way into this story that introduces both yoga and professions. The nine yoga poses show how the practice of yoga relates to everyday life, and encourages readers to stretch both their bodies and their minds. There are tips about practice and preparation, yoga life, and having the right attitude.
Published October 1st 2004 by Barefoot Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Daddy Is a Pretzel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Daddy Is a Pretzel

Rachel Walters
This book is so great! It goes through the story of a teacher asking each student what their parent does. Each career is compared with a different yoga pose. It then has instructions on how to do the pose, as well as the benefits of the pose. Published in 2004.
Lindsay
So cute! Does incorporate some more advanced poses like fish and plow, but otherwise really great for all ages. There is a story component, but also full page illustrations of the poses described within. Ideal for preschoolers or older.
Betsy
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stinking cute and lively.
Sandy
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not much of a story, but my seven year old enjoyed doing the poses along with the book. Her daddy tried (but he is most definitely NOT a pretzel). Good for kids interested in yoga.
Rani
A popular introduction to #yoga without the context of the #culture or place it came from or mention of #Sanskrit. Kid friendly asanas readers can try.
Children's Literature Project
This is an informative book on yoga for young readers. It teaches 9 yoga poses with a bright cartoon style. It is written from the perspective of a classroom, each student telling what their paret does for a living and matched with a yoga pose (example: veterinarian - downward facing dog). According to School Library Journal this book is suitable for children from Kindergarten through grade 2. As much as I enjoyed it, I would use this book cautiously in a public school. Parents may see yoga as a ...more
Wanett
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In My Daddy Is a Pretzel: Yoga for Parents and Kids parent and children are taught yoga poses and their names within a narrative story. Children tell the reader a little about what their parent does (Vet, gardener) and we are given a corresponding yoga pose. A little bit of the basic philosophy behind each pose is given, though I'm not sure how much of this actually reaches young readers. They will more easily identify and become engaged with the children talking about what their parents do for ...more
Patricia
This is an introduction to yoga for children. However, adults will find it useful and informative. The teacher talks about parents' careers and how they relate to yoga. For instance, one child says his parents are vets and this relates to the dog pose that is illustrated. The book is simple to understand. I like to relationships between careers and poses. It makes yoga appear child and adult friendly.
Ashley
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent yoga book for children! Alice loves doing yoga with me. This book was introduced at a children's yoga class we attended together. Children are discussing what their mothers do for work. One child follows up each comment with statements like, "My daddy is a tree" or "My daddy is a fish." Then, it shows the father in the yoga pose the child has named. You can practice the poses as you read the book. Super fun!
Gail Ledford
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My niece got to hear this book being read during story time at our local library and she had a great time! All of the kids had a wonderful time attempting to do all of the yoga poses within the book (they are just little kids after all!) There was certainly lots of little kid giggling going on and everyone had a great time (my niece included!) I would definitely recommend this book as one that both parent and child could read (and do!) together.
Miz Lizzie
Dec 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 5-10 year olds
Shelves: yoga, picture-books
A great book for teaching yoga to young children though it would have been much better if it had just stuck to that and not tried to make a story out of it. The narrative is so simple, it will engage only the youngest (infants, toddlers) of children, while the children who would really enjoy doing the poses (preschoolers on up) won't get anything out of the story (such as it is). Still, the poses and the information about yoga are engaging and a nice basic introduction.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, family-living
I particularly like books that depicts different aspects of life and I enjoy reading and doing yoga with Nakyla. I think some of the poses in the book were chosen because of their name and therefore how they could connect it to a profession. They aren't all the best yoga poses for teaching children beginning yoga. I wish they listed other poses in the back, even if they couldn't fit them into the story line.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Children at yoga class share their parent's occupation. A yoga pose reflects that occupation. We read a page then did the poses just like the book is written. I didn't feel confident about the plow pose, so I didn't do it, but some brave listeners did pose for everyone.

2016 storytime theme: yoga

Reviewed from a library copy.
Marlee
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! It tells a fun/funny story for the kids, shows a variety of poses, with step by step instructions, and even has extra stuff at the end (yoga tips for kids, etc). The story is a great way to capture the attention of very young children. And the poses are perfect for all ages, including adults. Amazing!
David
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for the kids. They really loved the pictures and practicing the postures. Awesome book to have in the collection. Talks about family, profession and health. Good combination of ideas, colors and concepts. Love it.
Jen
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
This is a great book for teachers and/or parents that want to introduce yoga to their children. Yoga poses with instructions and illustrations as to how to do them are interwoven into the story. A great book!
Margie
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
A child's first book of yoga or a great introduction for adults who are just venturing into this form of exercise and meditation. There are poses in this book I'm convinced only children could do as I sure can't see myself getting myself into some positions.
Christopher Bergeron
oh my gosh this book is so cute. liam brought this one home from yoga and we read each page together then did the pose. i felt so inspired i subscribed to a bunch of zen podcast and am now totally into this..... thanks liam
A.J.
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this would be a great book to read to students. It addresses family life and different types of jobs, such as a yoga instructor. I think it would be fun for you and your class to try out some of the poses as you read.
Melissa
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The girls really liked this book. We read it and did the yoga almost every night and they were sad when I had to return it to the library. I understand that there is a set of yoga flash cards by the author. I'll have to look for those.
Theresa
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Multicultural children and parents show off their flexibility through a range of more advanced poses. Clear, step-by-step illustrations and instructions make this a good book for parents who want to share the fun of yoga with their children. Recommended for ages 5+.
Brent
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this with my daughter, who enjoys how yoga connects to work and play, like her music class. Teaching examples include families, their work, and playful illustrations. Even if there is a surplus of children’s yoga books out there, Baptiste captures the interest of the whole family.
Jenny
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun book about yoga.
Marianne
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baa-bar
How much do I adore this book, and I am so pleased he added the yoga cards! Mindfulness, in pictures and actions. Just read it, you'll fall in love too.
Stephanie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I am going to get Gavin to do yoga with me this weekend.
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Love this book. Has a little more substance than some of the other yoga books for kids.
Caroline
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to introduce yoga and movement in the class. I have used it both at circle time and in small groups and the kids LOVE it!
Tanya
Colorful illustrations showing simple directions for simple Yoga positions. My 4 1/2yr old enjoys doing yoga with me and this book is fun for him to pick the pose and we try it on the mat. Fun!
Jean
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for Kids Yoga. It goes with a set of cards. Simple explanation of poses and relates to everyday life.
Tracy Morton
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of the better books about yoga for children. Children love yoga storytime because it allows them to get moving and try something new.

• Little Yoga: A Toddler's First Book of Yoga
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • Hippos Are Huge!
  • This Is a Taco!
  • A Drop of Blood
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute: What Is a Verb?
  • Someday
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)