Start by marking “Exiles, Volume 1: Down the Rabbit Hole” as Want to Read:
Exiles, Volume 1: Down the Rabbit Hole

Exiles, Volume 1: Down the Rabbit Hole

(Exiles (2001) #1)

Meet the Exiles, a time-travelling mutant conglomerate dedicated to righting the wrongs of the Marvel Universe. Led by the teleporter Blink, this mutant team is guided by The Tallus, an instrument leading them from place to place in order to fulfill their missions of cosmic repair. Their early adventures lead them into confrontations with the Incredible Hulk, Wolverine and ...more
Published June 13th 2007 by Marvel (first published November 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Exiles, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exiles, Volume 1

Patrick
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first six trades of this series was written (and created, I assume) by Judd Winick: the orb of shimmering brilliance that brought us Barry Ween Boy Genius.

The premise is simple: heroes (mostly x-men) are pulled from their various timelines and sent to alternate dimentions in order to set things right.

It's sort of like quantum leap, but with superheros.

I really enjoyed the series. In fact, I dug it enough to buy all 16 trades, that by itself says something.

As an entity unto itself, I don'
Tym
I love this series so much
Nicolo Yu
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collected-comics
I've been holding off reading the Exiles for years now. I seem to forget to binge read the entire series whenever I get the opportunity to have a free month of Marvel Unlimited. I finally found a copy of the first trade at a second-hand bookstore. After reading it, I wondered why it took me so long to get started on it.

There have been several X-Men story tropes throughout its storied publishing history. Alternate timelines is probably one of the more famous ones. The recent X-Men: Days of Future
Oliver Flores
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
To continue existing in their own realities, a motely crew of new and old second-rate X-Men characters must correct the troubled realities of a seemingly infinite array of alternate worlds.

As a concept the "Exiles" is an intriguing mix of "The Age of Apocalypse" alternate-reality X-Men cross-over event, which spanned that entire glorious summer of 1995, and Marvel's now long defunct "What If" series; which is to say, here you have a "what if" series of tales that promise to resonate beyond the s
C. Varn
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Judd Winick's multiple dimensional X team is fun and pulls characters from alternate timelines into a series that is reminiscent of a 90s television show like Sliders. There are alternate histories and different versions of the X-men to encounter constantly including alternates of Professor X and different reality version of the Dark Pheonix. Enjoyable.
Roman Colombo
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
This was a great surprise. The art and writing are both strong and the characters fresh. Quick wastes no time beating up your emotions.
Mike
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm sure there's a great reimagining of What If? in here somewhere, and maybe it gets better over time, but lemme tell you the dialog in this book is just awful, the plotting is destroyed with too much "narration", and the characters seem like something out of bad TV drama.

Is it possible to commit the sin of monologuing in one panel?

On a positive note, the art is clean and clear to tell you where the action is. Just wish Thunderbird didn't look like something out of a bad Shakespearean productio
Adam Stone
One of the more conceptually interesting spinoffs of the X-Men, Exiles brings together six mutants from various timelines and teams them up to piece reality together after "a ripple" seems to be pulling reality apart. If they succeed, they go back to their own timeline as if they never left, if they fail, they get sent to another world that's being torn apart, and if they die, they die. And if they die, they're immediately replaced by a new character from another reality.

The appeal of this serie
Michael Mills
Picked this up in a ComiXology sale: I really enjoyed some of the later issues back in the day but had never dug back into its origins.

What a disappointment.

The set up is still great: a team of heroes quantum-leaping around the Marvel multiverse, setting right what once went wrong and giving a narrative thread to a bunch of What-If? stories.

But within that there’s so much that is unsatisfying. The stories are self-referential to the point of ludicrousness, so you end up with whole scenes devo
Aaron Wiener
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics
Conceptually, this is unlike any other Marvel comic. It’s completely original. And, it’s fucking awesome.

This volume compiles the first four issues of Exiles, and boy is it a doozy.

We meet our team in some random, time separated, extra-dimensional desert. From there, it’s a wild ride while they spend the remaining pages defeating evil Professor X and Jean Grey, the Dark Phoenix.

The entire team is interesting and fun, but the star is Blink. The same exact Blink who battled Holocaust in Age of Ap
C
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Continuing the great X-book catch-up de-stress run of 2017 here...

This is a fun book. It won't change your life, it won't make you look at your world differently... But it was a very fun reality-hopping story. (It helps that it has Blink in it who was one of my favorite characters.) I feel that Morph's characterization is a little too deadpoolish but it works.

Overall.... Fun. And I can use a bit of that right now. Looking forward to seeing where the story goes next.
Patrick
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look, this is a book that was clearly written for me. It's effectively Sliders meets Quantum Leap meets What If... meets The Twilight Zone.

Dimension hopping from Sliders.
Righting wrongs from Quantum Leap.
Fun concept twists from What If...
Twist endings from The Twilight Zone.

I am going to love reading the rest of this series.

Should this maybe be a 4-star rating? Maybe. But This book got me excited about a Marvel comic, again. And for that, I give it 5 stars.
Alana
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2019-reads
It took four issues to learn what Nocturne's powers were. 🙄
Natalie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm liking it so far. I think the concept is super interesting and I like the characters.
Jacob
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Interesting bit of comic-bookery, but I didn't like it enough to buy any more in the series. Plot was kinda cool, but I guess the characters just didn't grab me.
Will Cooper
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredible idea for a series: random characters are thrown into worlds with at least one difference and they have to "fix" the world, all the while there's a deeper secret under the main plot.
Nicolas
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
X-Men meets Sliders with a touch of Quantum Leap? My thanks to whoever wrote this for me personally.

We discuss this quirky series further in this episode of the All the Books Show https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
Fizzgig76
Reprints Exiles (1) #1-4 (August 2001-November 2001). Blink, Morph, Nocturne, Mimic, Magnus, T-Bird, and Sunfire, all heroes, all pulled out of their own time by a being called the Time Broker. Learning that they must keep realities from collapsing to return to their own reality, the Exiles are setting out to save new worlds. An adventure to an Earth where Xavier is evil leads to the first death, and a trip to the trial of the Phoenix leads to unexpected results.

Written by Judd Winick and illust
Andrew
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
This series didn't interest me overly much for the longest time, despite the great things I heard about it. It had little impact to the overall continuity of the 616ers or at least that is what I would assume. And I had little connection to any of the characters or their alternate versions. So...

But I finally decided I should give it a try since the opportunity availed itself. And... It was fun. The setup and construction of the team was one of the weaker excuses I've read in a while. It was ver
Amalia Dillin
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was picking up the occasional single issue of Exiles for a while back in the day, and always found it fun, so when I saw the first Trade Paperback at Mile High Comics, I grabbed it (and would have gotten more if they'd had vol 2 on the shelf, but alas!)

I definitely don't regret it for a moment. This eclectic collection of heroes from alternate universes are time-hopping to stop hiccups in other timelines in order to restore themselves to their own worlds, and it's got a great balance of humor
Blake Larson
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The positives: Really interesting concept! What goes on, is a small team of popular characters from different realities are thrown together and sent on missions to fix problems in other timelines. What makes this so fun, is you can quickly rotate main characters where necessary, and the landscape as well as supporting cast constantly changes!

The negatives: The story begins a little rushed, and the characters really don't seem to have any problem with the fact they've been plucked out of their ow
Hazeltwilight
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is basically my review of the entire run.

That five star rating is NOT indicative of the entire series however (that would be closer to three stars).

The first books with the original writer are quite simply great comics. Not perfect, but fun and intriguing and a blast to read.

The second writer isn't as good, but solidly held my interest. I was however disappointed with what I could tell was a shift in the main secret from what the original creator intended.

The third writer starts out okay, b
M
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
By taking underused characters and infusing them with personailty, Judd Winick crafts a series steeped in history yet immediately accessible. Anything can happen - and it usually does! Age of Apocalypse favorite Blink leads a motley crew of mutants in this parallel universe series: powerhouse former Horseman Thunderbird, shape-shifting funnyman Morph, Magneto's son Magnus, Nightcrawler's daughter Nocturne, and power-sponge Mimic. Winick does well remembering that the characters are the heart of ...more
Jen
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
As someone who doesn't read a lot of comics or graphic novels but who is very familiar with the cinematic adaptations, I found it interesting to see a lot of characters known to me get thrown together in this topsy-turvy kind of way. The premise is interesting: a group of alternate-universe superheroes getting dragged through other alternate universes. It definitely sets the writers up for limitless adventures, but it's also pretty depressing; most of what the team is doing is stopping versions ...more
Jamie Sigal
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a fan of the X-Men, Quantum Leap, and Sliders (until it got too silly), I remember diving into the monthly issues of this series with relish and delight, and it maintained a place near to the top of my pull-pile for Winick's entire run because it was just good, fun, comic-book storytelling the way it was meant to be. I'm glad to say that revisiting these stories now in graphic novel form is just as much fun and I look forward to diving deeper and visiting Blink and my friends once again.
Christopher Mclean
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This could well be my favorite x-men series. Somehow despite liking the character s and movies none of the x-men books I have read have really clicked with me.

Exiles started to change that, I loved the tone and humor, and while I'm sure I missed countless references, being outside the main continuity helped me not feel totally lost on backstory.

Looking forward to reading more!
Sam
Aug 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Take one part X-MEN and one part SLIDERS. That's what this book is. Different X-MEN from alternate realities have to save each of their worlds. It's a great formula because you can get attached to a character and they get killed off, only to be replaced with another wacky X-Man.

I bought the series because of Mike McKone's killer art. The first TCB ain't bad, but the writing's a little wonky.
Jdetrick
The concept behind this series is one I love, but the execution doesn't quite work. The book is very exposition heavy, constantly telling the reader what is happening rather than showing the reader. It's sad, because Winick seems to have a good handle on the characters and I'd like to spend more time with them than we get to.
Chris Johnston
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A mix of Quantum Leap and Sliders, I like this X-title a greta deal.

This first trade isn't as good as the book will get- but then isn't as bad as the book will become sometime after Winick leaves the book.

But yeah, a great set of characters. A cool premise. Give it a go. Perfect for fans that have dropped out of continuity and want a stand-alone X read (which is pretty hard to find).
Holden Attradies
Picked this up pretty randomly via an e-bay auction, and I'm pretty glad I did! The collection of heroes in the group are a pretty random roundup of characters, but they have a good synergy. I enjoy the reality jumping, alternate realities in comics is one of my favorite "gimmicks." Like to see if the series gets better or worse as it goes along...

• New X-Men: Academy X: X-Posed
  • Dark X-Men
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • New X-Men, Volume 4: Riot at Xavier's
  • Fear Itself: Avengers Academy
Born February 12th, 1970 and raised on Long Island in New York, Judd began cartooning professionally at 16 with a single-paneled strip called Nuts & Bolts. This ran weekly through Anton Publications, a newspaper publisher that produced town papers in the Tri state area. He was paid 10 dollars a week.

In August of 1988, Judd began attending the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor bringing Nuts &am

Exiles (2001) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Exiles, Volume 2: A World Apart
  • Exiles - Volume 7: A Blink in Time
  • Exiles, Volume 8: Earn Your Wings
  • Exiles, Volume 9: Bump in the Night
  • Exiles, Volume 10: Age of Apocalypse
  • Exiles, Volume 11: Timebreakers (X-Men)