Start by marking “Dear Cupid (Texas Heat Wave)” as Want to Read:
Dear Cupid (Texas Heat Wave)

Dear Cupid

(Texas Heat Wave #2)

Once upon a time, there was a redhead named Kate Bradshaw who naively thought Happily Ever After was just a heartbeat away. One kid, one divorce, and a stack of bills later, Kate isn't necessarily a candidate for Man-Haters Anonymous, but she's not winning any points with the love-struck readers of her Dear Cupid advice column either. If she's going to keep her job, she ne ...more
Published July 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Dear Cupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Cupid

Start your review of Dear Cupid (Texas Heat Wave)
Raina
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Be forewarned, this book is completely and utterly predictable. However, if you are looking for some mindless beach reading then by all means, this is the book for you!

I especially like how the main character, Kate, interacts with her son Dylan. I love how Dylan really kind of brings Kate and Mike together in the end. The overall concept of the book was nothing new and I didn't particularly care for all the man bashing but it fit with the plot of the book with Kate being hurt and gun shy about g
Katie(babs)
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Cupid by Julie Ortolon is the type of book that will give you the warm fuzzies, as well as give you a few chuckles as you read. This is a near perfect contemporary romance about a heroine getting a shot at a second chance at love with a guy who enjoys everything life has to offer. The hero pushes her to have fun and not worry about things. I found myself having a blast reading Dear Cupid because Julie has written two great characters in Kate and Michael.

Kate is a divorced mother with a 5 ye
Maryann
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like romance novels
Kate Bradshaw writes a popular "Dear Cupid" Web advice column, but finds it difficult to offer positive advice after her painful divorce. She would like to tell every reader to "dump the bastard and move on." Not exactly the kind of pithy advice her boss wants her to give.

In an attempt to regain the perspective that made her column popular, Kate leaves her native Texas hill country for a business trip to L.A., where she practices her flirting technique on the first attractive man she sees, movie
Lynne
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Woman writer Kate who has lost her sparkle, sexy movie animator Mike who falls in love with Kate at first sight, Kate's ex and her son who wants a father. Throw in some Hollywood props and you have a great love story. Enjoy
Kathleen
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of damsels in distress. The movie artist career and sailing was an interesting bit. But most likely not at all what the author wanted "my favorite parts" to be.
Patricia Greco
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a delightful read from the First until the Last page.

I have always loved reading Julie Ortolon books and this one did not
disappoint.
Heather B
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read by Julie Orloton, and while they're a little predictable, and they tend to be a little scattered, I enjoy them. They're perfect for when I want a quick, easy read.

This one revolved around Kate, a romance advice columnist who has allowed a less-than-great marriage and the ensuing divorce turn her bitter and her column into mostly an exercise in man-bashing. After a warning from her boss, she decides that the only way to get her writerly mojo back is to find a ran
Radella
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kate has turned bitter and taken to a bit of male-bashing... not an ideal situation for an online romance columnist. While waiting for a flight back home, she decides to practice her rusty flirting skills on an unsuspecting man in a loud Hawaiian shirt. He happens to be Michael Cameron, a highly respected and talented movie animator. For him, it's love at first sight. While Kate feels an attraction, she wants nothing more to do with him. Mike devises a plan to spend more time with Kate, even tho ...more
Tina
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. It was a fun, silly, quirky, colorful read. It had moments of absurdity but it worked for me somewhat. The writing was great and was the strongest trait of the book. Pacing and dialog were both very good too. I was sucked into this story and even though it was predictable in some aspects it was still a fun "escaper" for me.

The characters were alright, but Kate was very annoying and that, unfortunately in a round-about way, reflected on the whole cast. While I tried to like he
Donna Porter
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kate writes a column for a paper . It is a Dear Cupid column where she gives advice. She just fly out to meet her boss and discuss her column. Gwen, her boss, told her she needed to pick up her column some because it was getting to dry and all her advice was starting to sound judgmental She has been this way since her divorce to Edward. He told her she had no talent so now she is raising their five year old son.. While waiting in the airport for her plane she decides to see if she still knows ho ...more
Klgrissom
This cover does elude to the pretty elaborate sex scenes in this book. I just skipped them, because based on the cover, I was not expecting that at all. the first one is about 44% into the book (says my kindle). All of them are easy to skip, just go to the end of the chapter, and it will be over.

The story was cute. I really with the main character would have had more self esteem a little earlier in the book, I just got a little tired of her putting herself down all the time.

Overall, I loved the
Kimberly
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute book. I never read anything by Ortolon before but I will pick up others now. Kate recently got divorced and has the insecurities all divorce women have (or atleast most) and Mike fell in love at first sight. But there are other factors (her kid, her job, etc) but he will do anything he needs to win Kate over. It is written very well. It actually had me chuckle a couple of times out loud. Mike is adorable and I can relate to Kate because she wants to take care of everything and everyone befo ...more
Donna Hatridge
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dear Cupid by Julie Ortolon was originally published by St. Martins press in 2001. It has now been released in eBook form. As many reviews have stated the story is predictable. But this is a heart warming story with well developed characters.
Kate is an advice columnist with a column entitled Dear Cupid. But after her experiences dealing with her ex-husband, has she lost her ability to see and believe in love ?
Mike takes one look at Kate in the airport and just knows she's the one. After talking
Rossana Snee
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I started this book to have a fun romance to read for the month of February. While it wasn't terrible, it was just okay. The author is definitely a good writer, but the story was a bit cheesy. Woman with trust issues. Man who falls in love and wants to marry her after three weeks. It was a role reversal if I ever saw one. The story was predictable. Kate got on my nerves after a while, however. Here she has a prince on her hands (I'm not sure men like Mike exist, but it's a novel, after all), and ...more
Judy Lavik
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story any single parent can relate to

Kate had a disastrous marriage and a painful divorce, but she came away with 7-year-old Dylan, who she wouldn't trade for anything. Her ex, Edward, sees his son the same way as he'd seen Kate: as interruptions to his life, his goals, his career.

She meets Mike, and the chemistry is explosive, but he's a workaholic and she's determined not to settle for second place for her son and herself in any man's life. Mike makes several mis-steps along the way, but eve
Angela
Jun 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
This weekend I read three romance novels. They were all free kindle books. One thing I like about romance novels is that they read so fast. Three books in a weekend and I paid only my time.
This story involves a young women who writes an online advice column called "Dear Cupid". Her recent bitter divorce however has turned her a little negative as far as relatioships are concerned.
In comes the man, a CGI computer nerd who falls instantly for her.
The story follows the typical romance novel for
Samantha
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was really fun and fast. It's a quick and easy read. Great beach book. Loved the characters in this book and how the female lead, Kate, interacted with her son. I liked how she brought her son and her new man together and got them to like each other. It was a fun concept for a book too. I didn't like some of the man bashing but it fit with the plot of the book with her being hurt and gun shy about getting back into the dating scene. I would recommend this to anyone looking for some lig ...more
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sure, it was pretty predictable. But I really fell in love with the characters. I really enjoyed the relationship between Kate and her son, and her wariness of exposing him to any hurt. Mike was the perfect guy. Who wouldn't want him? There were a few spots that the book veered off and didn't really complete, but all in all, I did not want to put the book down. I read it over a span of a day, and it kept me up into the night. It made me cry a little, and made me smile a lot. I recommend for a fl ...more
Highland-dreamer
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Jean
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Kate Bradshaw is a divorced lady hanging on by a thread to her Dear Cupid advice column. She has come out of a nasty divorce, is raising a son with severe asthma problems and is losing her belief that there is true love to be found. A chance meeting with Michael before an air flight home starts the ball rolling. Kate does find true love and regains her confidence in her ability to write her advice column. Easy read for the romantic at heart.
Mandy Rocker
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Julie, Julie, Julie... I LOVE reading your books. You are an amazing author. Thank you for providing us with wonderful, well written books. Your passion for what you do shows in your work.

After reading the Perfect trilogy, I knew I had to find another book from this author. "Dear Cupid" was a wonderful and easy read. The book was filled with emotion and the characters were easy to relate to.
LaFleurBleue
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
More a 3.5 stars than a full deserving 4. However predictable it was, I just really enjoyed my reading through it.
The characters, main and secondary, are overall quite friendly and nice in a next-door-neighbour kind of way. I liked the introduction of Mike and Kate in the airport.
This is a perfect romantic comedy, light-hearted, without any angst to be expected. It is however very heart-warming and so much more pleasant to read than the last books I read / am trying to read.
Dec 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
An advice columnist falls for (kind of, sometimes) a guy looking for a wife. I have to stop taking books out of the free pile at the library. This one felt like every twenty pages I had unconsciously Chosen My Own Adventure and the story and characters veered off in yet another direction. There were about 50 different paths the plot took, sequentially, and completely meaninglessly.
Lisa
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
'Dear Cupid' isn't the best book that I've read by Julie Ortolon, but I found it to be an enjoyable story. A nice fast read for folks that like romances and happily ever afters. The plot is pretty predictable, but the main characters are likable so you can forgive Ortolon for that. I think 'Dear Cupid' would be a good poolside or beach book, a nice, uncomplicated read.
Vivian
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-contemp
Fun, sweet romance that makes the reader believe that there are second chances. I've read four books by Ortolon now and each one has left me with a smile. Her male characters are less flawed than her female, the ideal, patient, and wise male. The secondary characters are well developed and give the story a complexity that the seemingly simple plot lacks.
Jackie
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-books
There were some surprisingly redeeming insights in this novel: how parents should chase their dreams, how some people abuse others and the power and necessity of self-respect to have a healthy romantic relationship. Still, these weren't quite enough to save the cheesy cliches, predictable plot and same old, tired characters.
Mireille Duval
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, romance
This was cute! It felt like it blended a lot of tropes but it mostly did it in a happy way. I thought the heroine was a little too in her head about her hundreds of reasons not to get with this dude, but I could suspend my disbelief enough when I thought about her past. The sexy times on the boat were great, and the following events with the kid were heart-breaking.
Tracey
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors!!!

And, having just got out of a marriage similar to what Kates but have been, I can't help but be optimistic my own FX guy is out there waiting for me! :D
Dianne
Jul 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Only the second book in the last couple of years that I couldn't finish. I was irritated by the "to stupid to live" characters early on in this book. Even the secondary characters were irritating.

I slam this book against the wall.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New cover for Dear Cupid 2 15 Feb 18, 2015 01:58PM

• When I Was You
  • Love on Beach Avenue (The Sunshine Sisters, #1)
  • Falling Star
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After (Bridgertons, #1.5-8.5; 9.5)
  • Love Overdue
  • The Dare
  • A Scot to Wed (Scottish Hearts, #2)
  • The Obedient Bride
  • If You Must Know (Potomac Point, #1)
  • Shrinkage
  • Garters (Small Town Swains)
  • To Have and to Hoax
  • The Nanny
  • Inspector Zhang Gets His Wish
  • Red Riding Hood
  • The Stationmaster's Cottage (River's End Mystery Romance #1)
  • Cottage on Oceanview Lane (Emerald Cove Book 1)
Most authors will tell you they've been writing and reading since childhood. Not me. I hated reading and never imagined I'd someday be a writer. Of course, the fact that I have dyslexia probably has a tiny bit to do with my aversion to the written word.

Nonetheless, I had a very active imagination and spent most of my school years staring out the window dreaming up stories. When I finally escaped t

Texas Heat Wave (3 books)
  • Drive Me Wild
  • At Last (Texas Heat Wave #3)