Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now

The Boys, Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now

(The Boys Collected Volumes #4)

The fourth Dynamite collection of Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's The Boys is here Also includes a complete cover gallery
Published July 1st 2009 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 4

Start your review of The Boys, Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now
Anne
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Boys plan to flush out more nefarious doings in the superhero world, and this time it's knock-off Charles Xavier who's on the hot seat.

description

Hughie goes undercover as a member of...well, basically a Great Value version of New Mutant team.
Of course, being Wee Hughie he finds himself wanting to help the crazy kids instead of just fuck them up. The plot is a mash-up of Animal House plus {insert random teen X-team here} and a Michael Jackson level of turning a blind eye to the obvious hero worship.

description

Wh
David Schaafsma
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
In his series The Boys, Garth Ennis and illustrator Darick Robertson take down, deconstruct, rip apart and flush down the toilet (but something less refined than that, truthfully) superhero culture. These are not good people as we have been led to believe, Ennis says, and they dress funny. It's all marketing, and possibly something more sinister, needing more than just satire to address it. In this volume, he focuses on the X-Men, or G-Men, and in particular a young group of G-Men in training, G ...more
mark monday
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicon
Ennis shows his sensitive side in his depiction of teen superhero group G-Wiz. if you've been following this series, you already know that The Boys is Ennis' full frontal attack on superhero templates, tropes, and archetypes. he can't stand them so he not only deconstructs them, he mercilessly debases them as well. it's enjoyable if you can stomach all of the nastiness, pessimism, and the understanding that Ennis looks at the world in an exceedingly narrow way. fortunately I have a cast-iron sto ...more
Stephen
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
2.0 stars. I hated most of this story arc of the Boys and it was headed for one star the entire time until the end (which was excellent) save it and pushed it up to at least okay. I am a huge fan of Garth Ennis and thought The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game was amazing and The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some and The Boys, Volume 3: Good For the Soul were good to very good.

However, in this volume the raunchiness and vulgarity seemed pointless and actually began to get irritating. Maybe I missed s
Sam Quixote
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
"We Gotta Go Now" is Ennis and Robertsons' take on the X-Men and that whole brand of heroes with younger X-Men like X-Factor, etc. "Orphans" get taken in and trained by a creepy benefactor who uses them to profit off and continue the cycle. Then one of them kills themselves and another who is supposed to be dead turns up "alive" and things turn out to be not as they were. The usual debauchery, ultra-violence, and bad taste are in abundance with the added delight of Wee Hughie dressing up as a su ...more
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Things started moving again. A good volume.
Stewart Tame
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars may be a bit much, but four didn't seem enough. I finally went with five, figuring that gorgeous cover--an homage to the classic Animal House movie poster--was worth an extra star all by itself.

Hughie gets sent undercover to infiltrate the G-Men (clearly intended as an X-Men parody) and plant a new set of bugs in their mansion. He does so via G-Wiz, one of the myriad satellite teams, who live together in something of a frat house environment. Needless to say, there's a dark secret beh
Devi
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the first volume of The Boys, but the next two volumes were starting me into the groove. Ennis' black comedy/superhero deconstruction certainly had its faults there, but it was also entertaining as you found out more about the world, and though I was hesitant about this volume tackling the G-Men (The Boys' version of the X-Men, naturally), I was still ready for it and the shower I'd need to take afterwards.

But boy howdy, a shower can't wash away the stink of this book.

I feel li
Dimitris Papastergiou
This was nice!

I liked it a lot better than the previous one, I hated the short old creepy guy, mainly because of the whole nonsense, too much info, talking nonstop and everything he was explaining to Hughie was boring to me.

Anyway, this one was great. Especially towards the end! Finally something's happening and it's getting interesting. Great dialogue, great artwork and some good twists happening.

On to the next one!
Michael Hitchcock
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ryan Stewart
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny, smart and super raunchy. This volume has some of the highest highs in the series yet, and propels the story forward. I’m pretty hooked.
Britton
Ennis got his start in the mid to late 90s, establishing a reputation as an extremist in the comics community alongside Warren Ellis, though Ennis would become the Grant Morrison to Ellis' Alan Moore, with Ennis sometimes going to extremes without letting his story threads come together in a natural way. Does that mean Ennis is a bad writer? Of course not. He wouldn't be a favorite of mine if that were the case. While The Boys doesn't entirely reach the heights of some of Ennis' finer outings li ...more
Gavin
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Vol. 4 and we keep chugging along with our band on CIA-backed Supe-policers. Starting with the cover, this is a big tribute to Animal House, John Landis,and John Belushi (his character Blutarsky specifically). Hughie is sent undercover to investigate the G-Men (X-Men) and he starts by becoming one of the G-Wiz crew and he finds that they pretty much party all day and night like it's Animal House; they even wear Togas, and the gross guy is named Blowchowski (His superpower is to vomit acid).

This
Ryk Stanton
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
July 2019 - I liked it better this time, so I added a star. The racism is still there, and the terribly bad behavior. Beyond terrible. But for all that, it's a very good story.

February 2015 - Umm ... uncomfortable this time. After the last TPB's talkiness, this one starts things moving in a darker direction. And for Garth Ennis, "darker" means more depraved. The graphic description of perversities, however, is overshadowed by the sheer racist depictions of some of the superhero teams. And, yeah
Jamie Connolly
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Holy cow. Geez. Where do I even start with this book. I mean it’s got so many levels. It’s smart and intriguing and there’s great character building. But it’s also disgusting and debaucherous(if that’s even a word. I’ll go with it). It ridiculous and off the cuff and then it has purpose. It’s crazy how it’s all balanced but it works. And this is volume 4 I’m talking about. The next volume is called “herogasm” to give you an idea. I can only imagine what’s gonna come in the later chapters of this ...more
Raimo Treiel
Darkness has permeated this modern tale of super-powered individuals ever since its inception. A tunnel, permanently dark, with walls that clamp around as soon as one sets foot into it, a light peers from the end of it; moving closer to it in turn causes it to flicker, with very little hope of it shining it is reached. As optimism dwindles, we slowly being to realize that there simply is no room for it anymore, as reality sets in and continues to diminish our hope. Not completely, as to avoid de ...more
Gav451
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Again, the ending of this collected edition is amazing. If fact this carries on with the high level of writing as the previous volume. As I read through this volume 2, with its misplaced sexual politics and unnecessary plot details was becoming but a distant memory.

As I read this I could see a whole number of potentials for future potential plot developments but there were no real clues as to which would be chosen. The characters were strongly written and dark as well as funny.

The art is also g
Ross Alon
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
For me there is no possible way to like the boys. The series is both super intriguing, yet so offensive.

In this volume, Ennis tries to brake the X-Men, but as I've claimed before, Ennis with all his talents, do not understand superheroes, and obviously doesn't understand the X-men. So this twisted parody is going nowhere.
What saves this volume is the few spots where we encounter the seven. The twisted parody of the justice league does work, specially when they com in small doses.

There is no poss
Oron
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital, owned, 2017
In this volume, Ennis deals with his twisted version of X Men ("G Men"). This volume is violent and offensive as usuall, but has some nice and soft moments too. I wonder where Ennis is going to take this. will start the next volume soon.
Farai Chikwanha
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
The action was very entertaining, but my god, has Garth Ennis ever spoken to an actual black person? Because the way he handled the G-Style and G-Coast heroes was egregious. I really don't understand why he found it necessary constantly to feature elements in the comics that would alienate any reader who isn't a straight, white guy.
Mohamed Ahmed
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
not as good as previous vol
after one of the G-men committed suicide the boys are tasked to go inside the G-men to get more details, and who else will go but poor hughie.
Kk
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can totally see just how bad (or good depending on your level of debauchery) the new spinoff series is gonna be!
Bonnie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Similar to the previous volumes in that it was very violent, very disturbing, but very compelling. I like that we get more background on some of the other Supe teams. Butcher is definitely one of my favourite characters, but I think that they all are three-dimensional.
Will Fenton
Again, some of the writing is borderline grade-school-infantile crap. But the story, the twists and turns and pull-no-punches action keeps it at a high level.
Zec
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson take on the X-Men in this filthy instalment of The Boys. I found it quite funny that there was a virtually infinite number of different G-teams and they were either frat boys or drama queens. The amount of schlocky humour got quite tiring but the brutal ending to this volume completely nailed it.
D'Iberville Library
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
There is something amiss within one of the Super-groups and The Boys are going to find out what it is. M.M. goes on a solo investigation of a supe suicide and the rest of the gang are going to focus on the G-Men (a play on the X-Men). Hughie gets his first undercover gig. He's going to infiltrate the G-Wiz which is basically Animal House with superpowers. We find out that the G-Men definitely have skeletons in their closet and dire secrets to hide, Vought-American will go to extreme lengths to c ...more
Zedsdead
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hughie infiltrates an Animal House-like junior X-Men G-Men team to uncover why a team leader committed a spectacular public suicide. He finds what is basically (view spoiler)

There's plenty of gross-out in v4 to maintain that Ennis br
Steven
So the G-Men.....

Look familiar? It should, and if it doesn't then what the fuck are you doing reading this? Or comics in the first place? In fact I can't stand your face anymore. Rack off.

....
....

Okay don't rack off. Please, I need the clicks and views! I need the validation!!!!

So after the low-key stories of Volume 3, Ennis and Robertson returns to standard investigation format of the comic involving Ennis's parody of the X-Men. One of their number, Silver Kincaid (the G-Men's equivalent of Jea
Baba
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: darkfantasy
An Ennis tour de force of satire, dark humour and the darkness of power! From the CIA's orders, it's agreed that Hughie will have to go undercover with a b-list super team based upon the X-Men, called the G-Men. In a biting and vicious parody Ennis builds the rationale for the G-Men from a really dark place, but a place that would make sense looking at the outcomes of the teams, and the way they are built and structured.

We get to see and understand the corporate handlers , Vought American and at
arjuna
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Literate fans of black humour
Sick, sad, funny as hell, awash with mayhem and bodily fluids - yes! Ennis and Robertson continue to rip the head off pop culture and not so much spit down its neck as DP the ragged hole. There's nothing I can say that this fella hasn't already; yes it is big-canvas and over-the-top and Goes Too Far but dammit I *like* that - it's still meaningful, still internally consistent, and still (somehow!) manages that final idiosyncratic tiny touch that nudges it from comedic to genuinely shocking. The ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Invincible, Vol. 2: Eight Is Enough
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 4: Abomination
  • Venom by Donny Cates, Vol. 2: The Abyss
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion
  • Night of the Living Deadpool (The Living Deadpool, #1)
  • Invincible, Vol. 13: Growing Pains
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • Marvel 1985
  • Tales from the DC Dark Multiverse
  • Invincible, Vol. 20: Friends
  • Invincible, Vol. 21: Modern Family
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more

The Boys Collected Volumes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game