Start by marking “Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)

Heart of Gold

(Rainbow Chasers #1)

Elegantly handsome Shane Callan was trouble -- Dirty Harry in disguise -- and not quite civilized underneath! But Faith Kincaid was stuck with him. Her decision to appear as a witness in a bribery trial had placed her in peril so great, Shane had been assigned to protect her. He wanted her to be guilty -- he'd be safe then -- but he knew she wasn't, and he found her innoce ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 291 pages
Published November 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Gold

Season
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
cute story but needed more depth.
Esther
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was just freaking never ending and not in a good way, it's ironic how much i enjoyed the start but the "romance" was Tedious and i Just Wanted this to End (again ironic as this book isn't that long, but still FELT - Never Freaking Ending!!!).

I don't know why this romance/couple got on my nerves (OK i do know why, but so tired reading this, just want to put this behind me and forget, so lets say i don't know and move on...), they just did, didnt get/buy their "love story". And the conclusion
Laura Aase
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Could have been a good story line but was clouded over by passion. Faiths husband was a criminal and she is sent a body guard to protect her until she testifies. Shane is a hardened man with darkness in his past. Would love to have known the characters better and the in renovations in more detail and - spoiler - what ever happened with the trial and the threats from the company. Did they just disappear when the other guy got shot? Too many gaps, and too much gazing and not though meat to the sto ...more
Amy
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, heartwarming romance with a dash of suspense thrown in. Faith is trying to start a new life with her daughter in a quiet little town while waiting for a trial in which she will testify against her ex-husband. Agent Shane Callan is sent (against her wishes) to protect her until the trial. From their first meeting, Faith and Shane fight their fiery attraction for one another. But when trouble finds Faith, will they be able to save each other?
Emily Higgins
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Faith Kinkaid and her friends are opening a bed and breakfast on the coast of Northern California when Shane Callan shows up to protect Faith from a man who is threatening her life. Eliminating the threat is the first priority, but falling in love is not ignored.
Debra Barstad
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Mystery, suspense, romance and just enough intrigue to keep me reading. I would recommend this book.
Annette Mardis
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the second early-in-her-career romance I've read by Tami Hoag, and unfortunately both have been mediocre.

Based on my reading of "Prior Bad Acts," one of her later suspense novels, Tami Hoag is a good writer. I enjoyed that book very much.

But "Heart of Gold" isn't a good indicator of her talent. The romance seems forced and pretty unrealistic, unless you subscribe to the idea that women love cavemen and turn to mush when they're bullied.

The supporting characters, except for the heroine's
Anita
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is a very good romance. Much better than some I have read by authors that only do romance. This is an early work by Tami Hoag and I really liked it. I have read several of these early works and an surprised at how well they have aged. This is the first of four books about frients who went to college together.

Heart of Gold is the story of Shane and Faith. Faith is the owner of a B&B on the coast about 2 hours north of San Francisco. Her ex is a Senator under indictment and Faith is a wit
Maura
Sharon
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that kept me from giving it 4 stars is the premise of the plot being the danger the heroine is in because of her upcoming testimony in a major trial, it seemed as if she was not being guarded too well by the agents that were sent for that purpose. Too many times she was on her own or allowed to go out in the open with no regard to her safety. I realize this is basically a romance and those are "incidental" to the love story, and Ms Hoag definitely fine tuned her writing when she b ...more
Debi
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, series
I finished Heart of Gold !! I wasn't to impressed with this book and got close to putting it down more then once. I was expecting more suspense/mystery in the book then there was and it disappointed me. More romance then anything else but for a romance it still didn't impress me to much either!! 2 stars. No I won't be continuing this series.

Gail
Good read. The heroine is a witness in her ex-husband's bribery trial, the hero is the FBI agent assigned to guard her. (Does the FBI do that, or the Marshall's office?) He thinks she had to know what the guy was doing, but changes his mind as he gets to know her. It's a romance. What did you think would happen? But it's an enjoyable ride. I liked it.
Tammy
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally! This TH romance kept my interest so much more than her others have. I read this trilogy out if order; that didn't really make a difference in the stories. However, the other 2 in the trilogy simply held no candle to this one. I think it was because of the mystery that went along w/this one that helped. Much better!
Courtney
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I bought this book at a Borders sale based on good reviews this author has received for her writing. I could not get through this book. It is a trashy romance novel which is fine if you are into those things. I found some of it so corny that I just could not continue to read it. I think this author write suspense novels now so I will give one of those a try in the future.
Sharyn
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
"Heart of Gold" is the 1st in a series by Tami Hoag. I had listened to #2, so of course had to find the rest. This is a 1990 Loveswept, so I was prepared,and I will read the other 2 in the series, but this is just a quick read romance, with a lot of sex and a little mystery. Broken hearted Faith meets broken hearted cop, and love heals all.
Sharon
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Beach read, luckily, that's where I am. Intrigue, love, mystery, it's all there. Beguiling and innocent heroine, handsome and damaged protector, add a hitman trying to kill them both, and bingo, there you go.
Miss Kim
This is an older book, and I usually don't have a problem with that, but it just couldn't keep the pace up enough when I had a few other books I really wanted to read waiting for me. Perhaps another time...
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I think gooey love irks me right now. and this book is full of gooey love, self-deprecation and a certain will they - wont they vibe. i was expecting the predictable ending, but I was hoping for a little more action.
Donnajo
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this 1st in series will for sure check out the future books in the series. can't go wrong with this author's books. great storyline, characters. the progression of the story.
Julie
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Certainly not what I expected based on the other Hoag books I have read. This could have been sold on the trashy romance isle. Could have been a better story. Just OK
Elaine
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good, not great. I would give it 3 1/2 stars.
Evelyn
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A reissued romance from the '90s that is OK but shows its age.
Nancy
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
Started: July 15, 2010
Finished: July 16, 2010

Book #71 for the 2010 52 Books in 52 Week Ravelry Challenge.

This book was okay. I will give this author another changes.
Murr
Jun 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Should have been a short story. Of the 300 pages, over 200 were angst over feelings (lust, guilt, etc.). Very little plot or character development.
Stephanie Davis
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Typical. Wouldn't read again.
Kristine
I didn't know this was going to be a romance novel. Oh well. 1 down in 2012.
Alexandra Moraru
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I gave it a 4 star for being a breath of fresh air after all the thrillers I've read in the past couple of weeks. I'm a sucker for hot agents in a suit.
Ruth
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
story line was not well developed beyond a physical attraction between characters. The exciting part of the story lasted 2 pages.
Caroline
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
3 stars
Lisa
Aug 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Stick to what you do best. Romance is not it. This was horrible.

• A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do\Calling the Shots\Baring It All
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • The Captive
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Lake Magic
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • Our Little Secret
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more

Rainbow Chasers (4 books)
  • Keeping Company (Rainbow Chasers #2)
  • Reilly's Return (Rainbow Chasers, #3)
  • Magic (Rainbow Chasers, #4)