Start by marking “Inside Out” as Want to Read:
Inside Out

Inside Out

Teased at school about his younger brother, Jonno hopes his life will change when James goes to a school for autistic children. It does, but not in the way he expects.
Published March 1st 1990 by Scholastic (first published May 1985)

Ashley
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 3-stars, ebook, library
This was an okay read, pretty typical Ann M Martin with some of her regular tropes. The story at the heart of the book was pretty good, I liked Jonno and his family. But yeah, this book doesn't really hold up all that well. All the casual "retard"s (I'm cackling that I just wrote that ahaha) and the talk about sending James to an institution - heck, even Jon getting a paper route, it all seemed so dated. Granted, this book came out over thirty years ago, but it definitely did not age too well.

N
Gab McLaren
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that I may not gush aloud or share it or own an abused copy of this novel, but it's my favourite book. It probably saved me when I was dealing with Jono's kind of stress to realise that there are some ugly emotions that are worth feeling and okay to feel. The fact that the ending wasn't jjust some happy ending about perseverance and family strength and acceptance was wonderful. It was unsure and sketchy but whole nevertheless because there never really is an ending for families deal ...more
Amanda
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I remember reading this one several times as a kid and always loving it. It's about a family dealing with their young 4-year-old son, James, who has autism. It's told from the perspective of the older brother, Jonno, who is 11 or 12. There's also a sister, Lizzie, who is 8. It shows how autism affects the entire family and the frustrations (and joy) they encounter.
Kerri
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book’s perspective, of a boy who has a little brother with autism. Reading it more than a couple decades after publication, though, many parts were a bit hard to deal with. It does give great insight of being a sibling to a kid with autism, though, and how some therapy approaches require so much investment from the whole family.

However, I do wish books like these would be updated to reflect changes in what we know about a diagnosis, especially one like autism. I feel this book, i
Tamlyn
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
I read this book as a child and I remember loving it and reading it multiple times. However, from memory, I wouldn't assume that it would hold up well.
Erin
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time back in the 80s when it came out. It was the first time I ever heard of autism. Autism was a virtually unknown condition at the time- most people later heard of it the first time from the movie Rainman.
This book is one of Martin's best. Well written, realistic and heart breaking. James is typical of autistic kids in that he was normal up until age two and then changed. His family has to learn to deal with his condition and try to help him function. Meanwhile,
Elizabeth Gibbs
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
While Jonno and his family battle life with an autistic four-year-old, Jonno finds ways to make money and winds up helping his brother.
Anne
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the book that started my obsession with autism.
Wisty
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It game back to me suddenly that I read this! That was back when I tried to read every Ann M. Martin book I could get my hands on!
Gina
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good in showing some of the stresses that a family can have with an autistic child, but also with how it is to not feel cool.
Norma DiPietro