Start by marking “Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!” as Want to Read:
Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!

Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!

(Anna Hibiscus #2)

Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa. Amazing Africa. She loves singing to her two baby brothers, Double and Trouble. But when she is chosen to sing for her school in front of the president, her throat runs dry and her bones turn to stone. Can Double and Trouble save her?
Published September 1st 2010 by Kane Miller (first published October 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!

Cheryl
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Lost a more thorough review.) Fairly intense, for a book aimed at such a young audience. But it reflects reality, and children do need to learn such. Better from this fun, funny, and sweet set of stories now, when they're young. Highly recommended.

Also recommended are Younguncle Comes to Town and Younguncle in the Himalayas.
Christie Angleton
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for the hair story alone!
Betsy
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Rarer than quality books. More elusive than good picture books for older readers. The goal, the gem, the one kind of book all children’s librarians seek but know are so difficult to find . . . . the really well written early chapter book. Now let’s say you’ve found one. It happens. Lots exist, to a certain extent (and if you know where to look). Please do me the favor of now asking yourself the following questions about said book: (A) Does it contain characters from another country? If you answe ...more
Abigail
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anna Hibiscus Fans / Beginning Chapter-Book Readers
In this follow-up to her initial collection of stories about Anna Hibiscus, a young girl living in Africa - "Amazing Africa!," as the narrator informs us - author Atinuke once again delivers a heartwarming story about a girl, her family, her city and her (unnamed) country. In Anna 'biscus! Sing!, our young heroine's singing prowess is recognized at school, and she is chosen to sing a solo at a welcoming ceremony for a foreign President, to be held at the National Stadium. When Anna, who is a nat ...more
Sarita
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cute, funny, series
1st Review:
There are three stories in this book. One of them is........

Here is my review:
Anna Hibiscus likes to sing. She made up a song called "Snow".
Then she finds out that the president of another country is coming to Africa where she lives.
When her teacher says they will need a dancer, a speaker and a singer to dance, speak and sing for the president, all Anna's friends say that Anna can sing. But when she gets up on stage, she forgets her song! Double and Trouble ( Anna's baby brothers ) s
Loraena
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these books so much. As early reader chapter books, they are a bit advanced for our 7-year-old to read alone, but it's good because they are even better to read together. This one dealt with textured hair care and poverty in highly skillful ways that resonate with our daughter. Every single book impresses me with its originality, skilled storytelling, courageous themes, and downright charm. If you have kids in the 5-10 age range and haven't read these, do.
Nao
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anjanette Barr
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
These books have it all! Charming illustrations, the kind of storytelling formulas that kids love ("Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa, Amazing Africa!" begins each story), characters in context without too many asides for explanation or comparison, and a holistic look at community.

I can't get enough of these, and it makes my heart swell to bursting to see my children connect with these stories about a land so far away and so different (Alaska and Africa may be the same number of letters and begin wi
Nancy Kotkin
Children's chapter book series about a young girl growing up in Africa, within her family's walled-in compound. The stories are bursting with authentic African scenery and daily life. The protagonist is only five or six years old, which is young for a chapter book, but it works well for this series because it allows readers to learn things about African culture while Anna herself grows in her understanding of the world around her. While Anna's family is financially secure, Anna and her readers c ...more
Havebooks Willread
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jennifer Tarmann
I am absolutely falling in love with this series. Engaging stories, a sweet main character, subtle messages respecting family and the elderly and generosity. . .what's not to like?!

This book had a story about Anna resenting her hair and the time it takes to maintain it even though "short or long, the hair of an African girl is thicker and shiner and curlier than any other hair in the whole world" (35). Grandma's wisdom allowed her to learn a valuable lesson about her attitude. I must admit I was
Johnny
This is a terrific installment in the Anna Hibiscus series. As with the first installment, each chapter starts with the mantra "Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa. Amazing Africa" (7), providing a great perspective on an unrepresented locale in American children's fiction. The chapters in this edition cover stage fright, Anna's coarse and beautiful hair, the abundant power outages in Africa, and poverty. Even the weightier subjects are covered with a point of view that even my three-year-old son coul ...more
Mary
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A few different events happened for Anna Hibiscus in #2 of this series. She has the chance to sing in front of a president of a country. She learns the hard way why the women in the family braid their hair every week. Her family buys a generator to deal with the intermittent electricity. And she goes with her aunt and uncle to visit the island across the lagoon from her house where she finds dire poverty. How she reacted to it all was priceless. She is growing in the sense of her place in her fa ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This has one very dark scene in it -- Anna Hibiscus realizes that not everyone has the privileged life she does. The depiction of poverty in an African city is brutal. (Maxie put her hands over her ears when I read it to her, and this is the only Anna Hibiscus book she won't read on her own.) I appreciate that it's handled not-at-all didactically, and I say again I LOVE THESE BOOKS, but be forewarned. (That said, too, I think even a 6-year-old American kid should understand how lucky she is. Tha ...more
Meg
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audrey-s-books
I LOVED this book but the last story bothered my daughter, whom I read this book with. The story is about Anna visiting a different part of town that is filled with families that have nothing - the children scrounge around in the garbage heap. A little beggar girl that greeted them as they entered had no legs. This is what scared my daughter because she thought that could happen to her - she hadn't ever heard of a little girl having no legs. This is why I actually like reading this series, becau ...more
Veronica
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Abby
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anna Hibiscus is my absolute favorite!Just ask my mom. They are also Reading Counts so now I have up to 171 points! By the end of this school year I plan to have 200 book points and I will get those points easy by just reading this great series of the amazing world of Africa. Once you pick up one of these books you think that it would be an easy put down but you never want to trust me! BEST BOOK SERIES EVER TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!
Karen Arendt
A wonderful heartwarming series about a girl who lives in Africa. Four simple chapters perfect for 2nd or 3rd grade include Anna 'biscus Sing!; You Hair, Anna Hibiscus; Anna Hibiscus and the New Generator; and The other Side of the City. Readers will learn about life in Africa from a middle income child who experiences life -the hard life and the easy life.
Karen
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie
Ellie received this Christmas morning and will be reading it for the Pizza Hut reading challenge in January..krb 1/2/17

She read this in a day! I love that we are to the point where I have to limit the amount of time they read to safe guard my kids eye development. It makes them want to read even more!...krb 1/13/17
Kevin
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
A collection of quick stories about a young girl growing up in generic Africa. These are written in a regular English style (not the broken English of Atinuke's No. 1 Car Spotter) and represent middle to upper class life. The most compelling stories in this collection were about Anna trying to avoid the weekly family braiding and then Anna visiting the poor side of town.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: aoc, mg, 2015
This was very cute again (and teaches you African life values again) but some of the plot points came off a little weird. Example: one of the stories is all about Anna's struggles with her hair, but it barely comes up that her mom, who is white, has totally different hair that is easy to deal with. It just seemed odd to me that her own mother didn't inform Anna's feelings at all.
Alison Donnelly
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read with Felicity. A great continuation of this sweet series. Features a story that reduced me to tears, "The Other Side of the City". If you too enjoy crying whilst reading with children, you will like this book.
Celeste
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Anna Hibiscus is chosen out of all the kids to sing a song for a visiting president from another country, enjoys hide and seek with her cousins during blackouts, and comes to understand her own privilege a little better in this second of Atinuke's chapter books about Anna Hibiscus.
Heather
Just as delightful as the first one. I loved how the twins, Double and Trouble, use their new found words to encourage their sister. Also, I really liked Anna's comprehension and compassion during her visit to the city.
Tracy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I read it to my Mom while she was in the hospital and she thought they were interesting. I would recommend them. I also like the character of Anna Hibiscus and her brothers Double and Trouble.
Lissa
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We all enjoyed this one! The hair combing AND the poverty were both portrayed with EXCELLENT storytelling, description and pacing for children -- and my kids loved when I cried a bit while reading the poverty story aloud to them (of course.)
Shannon
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like the first book in this series, my five and two year old loved this book. This particular book covered the topic of poverty and income disparity in a way that I thought was totally age appropriate and very gently. Highly recommended.
B
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second in the series, the stories in this book goes into more depth about Anna's life with her interest in visiting the poor part of her town, the aggravation her hair causes her, and the reactions of family members to the new generator, that is supposed to help when the power goes out.
Janet
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Check my review on the first book in this series, Anna Hibiscus. The hair story is actually in this book, which may be even better than the first book. Yes, I think it is even better than the first book.
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Our children loved them! So heartfelt and sweet and also gives my kids a taste of another culture.
Jenni Heimach
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-jv
I like how the author tells about the life of a little girl from Nigeria. I am falling for Atinuke, author.

• Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Juana & Lucas
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly
  • Elizabeti's Doll
  • The Family Fletcher Takes Rock Island (Family Fletcher, #2)
  • Mikis and the Donkey
  • Finding Fortune
  • Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion (Precious Ramotswe's Very First Cases, #3)
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel (Dyamonde Daniel #1)
  • The Case of the Mixed-Up Mutts (The Buddy Files, #2)
  • Meet Yasmin!
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Book Uncle and Me
Atinuke is a Nigerian-born author who started her career doing traditional oral storytelling. Her books include a Boston Globe–Horn Book Honor Winner, a Notable Book for a Global Society, a Cybils Award Winner, and an Africana Award Winner. She lives in Wales.

Anna Hibiscus (8 books)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Go Well, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Love from Anna Hibiscus!
  • You're Amazing, Anna Hibiscus!