Start by marking “Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)” as Want to Read:
Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)

Nerilka's Story (Pern (Publication Order) #8)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  14,938 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Everyone, holder and dragonrider alike, pitched in to help--except Nerilka's father, who refused to share Fort Hold's bounty with the other holds. So, ashamed of her family and determined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies and sneaked off to aid her people.Her quest to help wherever she was most needed led her finally to Ruatha Hold, where Lord Alessa ...more
Published October 4th 1997 by Del Rey (first published February 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Nerilka's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nerilka's Story

Nathan
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-02-february
I can see why this was where I quit on the series on my first attempt many years ago. This isn't a terrible story, but it doesn't do anything to move the overall plot of the series forward and does very little to build important characters or to enrich the reader's understanding of Pern. It feels extra.
Sara
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This novella, set in McCaffrey’s epic world of Pern, is stylistically more like a Regency romance than a science-fiction short story. McCaffrey provides an prologue which explains the setting and historical background of the story, but it is more confusing than explanatory, and readers would do well to skip to the story itself.

Nerilka is one of the many daughters of the Lord of Fort Hold, and as a plain, hard-working girl, harbors no romantic thoughts of a lavish marriage and escape from Fort Ho
Chris Gager
Started this last night after finishing "Paris Review #183." Rescued from somewhere - maybe the town transfer station book shelves. Safe to say that Anne M.'s work never appeared in THAT periodical! This is my third Pern read. So far I've enjoyed the late Ms. McCaffrey's prose - easy to read and enjoyable. I like that she leans heavily on female protagonists too. "Dragondrums" featured a Ray Liotta look-alike in the cover art and this one features a Nerilka who looks like Sandra Bernhard with a ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Lord Alessan is in need of help to fight the plague. With the Dragonriders loosing respect, the holders aren't doing their part. Then again, some of these dragonriders have been abusing their privileges. Nerilka is the one who saves the day. I liked her, especially as she is the overlooked one. I was mixed about this story as Alessan loved Moreta and lost her. Somehow, Nerilka felt like a second place replacement. It was kind of discomforting to me. She's always "second" place.
Amalia Dillin
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
I feel like this is a can't miss companion to Moreta's story. If you like Moreta, you need Nerilka's Story in your library too! A definite departure though, written in first person from the perspective of an older Nerilka looking back.
Sandra
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Allez, je vais être dure avec ce tome de La Ballade de Pern, mais c'est pour la bonne cause dirons-nous. Je trouve dommage de tomber sur un tel tome dans une saga que j'adore !

Ce tome est la suite directe de La Dame aux dragons, du cycle interne de L'Épidémie (qui ne compte d'ailleurs que ces deux tomes).

Pour faire court, dans La Dame aux dragons on apprend qu'une épidémie fait rage et on va suivre (à la troisième personne) ce que va faire Moreta pour en venir à bout. Finalement, une certaine N
Michael Galarneau
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Pern series of books. This particular tale in the series is very enjoyable, and a quick read. The reason I enjoy this book so much is due to it's intertwined connection the Moreta story. In the first two trilogies of this series the Legend of Moreta's ride is often mentioned. Then, Anne McCaffrey actually writes the story behind that legend. Now, the brief novella of Nerilka takes and almost non-existent character from the Moreta story and retells the tale from her point of view. Betw ...more
Alison Swearingen
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I liked this book, it was a quick read and kind of cool to see from Nerilka's point of view as she was just a minor character in the previous book. However, it was not terribly exciting and about 80% of the book was exactly the same events as the previous one, just from a different point of view. I did appreciate the last 20% where you get to see a few characters you care about end up in different places. Overall, I was not hugely impressed but I did like it well enough. I look forward to readin ...more
Angela
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books. It's one of my all time favourites. I decided to re-read the entire Dragonriders of Pern series and over the past couple of months, I have been working my way through them all. Anne McCaffrey has such a wonderful, boundless imagination and such a vivid and descriptive style, her stories transport the reader into the fantastic world that she created and sweeps you up on the breathtaking adventures. Spellbinding!
travelgirlut
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
If McCaffrey and taken Moreta and Nerilka and somehow made them into one book with alternating perspectives, I think it would have made a much more engaging story. It gets a little tedious reading the same dialogue in this book that was in Moreta. And again, the ending of this book is spoiled in the previous one, so there are no surprises. It's a nice enough story, but not one of the best in the Pern series.
Zach Glickson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
As with all her books and especially this series.... Just brilliant. Her books make you want to just lay in the hammock (I spend a lot of time in the hammock reading books) for hours at a time and wish you actually lived in this fantasy world and felt like you could start talking to these characters without even blinking an eye.
Holly Ristau
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
According to my entry in 1996, this is the 3rd Pern novel, but according to goodreads it's #8! Norilka's father is a head of a Hold and she leaves and becomes part of a different one. Much better than it sounds!
Terri Olinger
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked this book

I have always liked this book it gives you a real sense of how much info can be left out of some stories and what can be done to add another person's life thoughts to it all
Jodie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a short one. It was OK, but I was hoping there would be more detail about the major events, like what happened after Moreta’s accident, but before the hatching. Four example, how were the selfish Lord holder and the defected weyer leader punished?
Spigana
Šis jau vairāk atgādināja Džeinu Eiru, nevis fantāzijas grāmatu, bet tieši tas man arī sērijā visvairāk patīk - daudzveidība gan varoņos, gan stāstos un tas, cik lielā mērā tiek parādīta pasaules ikdiena.
Arielle
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By most of the action of the story being told in the previous book this one just gets to focus so solidly on Nerilka. I loved her growth and character.
Tara
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the other. It didn't feel like a Pern book. The timeline felt off. Everything seemed to happen in two or three days, while Moretta's story made it feel longer. I also hated how McCaffrey put Rill and Alessan in a relationship. That's a -100 on the romance meter.
Letitia Dixon-coombs
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite Pern Story ever. Heartbreak and Redemption with a beautiful love story woven through.
Nina Braden
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
More of a 3+. Not really enough to distinguish it from Moreta.
Sara Holloway
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the daughters of Fort (the Fort Horde) escapes during the plague and finds her way to happiness in Ruatha, where she can help and heal.
Pamela
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The drawings, unusual for one of her novels, really enhance the story.
Tim
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A much better story than "Moreta," even though it is the same story.
Christina
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Story goes simultaneously with Moreta. Interesting to have a story from the version of a Holder.
Evelynn
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot of loss in it, told from a different point of view and I think it touched on loss in an accessible way.

Start with this quote (fifth line in the book): “Not even the most abject self-recriminations will breathe life back into the dead long enough to give absolution to the living.”

Nerlika touches on this idea several times over the book, reminiscing about what she could have done differently, and part of that might be survivors guilt, which I imagine a giant portion of Pern ha
Lianne Pheno
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Une novella très forte émotionnellement, j'en ai pleuré, j'ai adoré.

Elle ne peux pas se lire sans le tome précédent dont elle n'est que le complément, le même passage de l'histoire vue par une autre personne.
C'est vraiment un texte court, on voit ce qu'il se passe au Fort de Fort pendant que Moreta entreprend de sauver le monde de son coté.

Nerilka a honte de la réaction de son père pendant l'épidémie, il néglige ces devoirs et parait extrêmement égoïste, e
Casey
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Nerilka's Story takes place concurrently with Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern. Nerilka is plain, unloved, and has low self-esteem, yet she works hard at what she loves. There is scarce action, and few dragons. I think it complements Moreta very well, and you might as well read them both together.

The plague is overtaking Pern and thousands are dying. Nerilka is faced with the loss of family members, as well as the ever present memory of her best friend's death. She is dealing with lots of guilt and s
Adrian Rose
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This is something of an ancillary story to “Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern.” It tells the same story, but through the point of view of one of minor characters of that novel. Nelrilka is the fifth daughter of Lord Tolocamp, Lord Holder of Fort Hold. When the plague that devastates Pern breaks out, Nerilka is at home, heartbroken that she did not get to go to the Gather at Ruatha Hold with her parents and four older sisters. As the disaster deepens, she witnesses her father’s return, in direct contrad ...more
Ceci
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009
Kenneth Flusche
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read but must read in order because of confusion and spoilers.
Ronel
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
I remember really enjoying Moreta: Dragon lady of Pern and getting confused with the sudden appearance of a minor character named Rilka and that Nerilka was suddenly the lady of Ruatha Hold. But now having read Nerilka's story I feel that all the blank spots in Moreta's tale has been filled in. I really loved this re-telling from the perspective of a minor character.

Anne McCaffery always managed to write about strong women that are realistic at the same time (a.k.a they have flaws too). But I mu
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Traitor's Sun (Darkover, #26)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Exile's Honor (Heralds of Valdemar, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey

Pern (Publication Order) (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)
  • All the Weyrs of Pern (Pern, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Descent
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
“To cry was to release all sorts of ugly little pressures and tensions. Like waking out of a long, dark dream to a sun-filled day.” 74 likes
“Above us, outlined against the brilliant sky, dragons crowded every available perching space on the Rim. And the sun made a gold of every one of them.” 14 likes