Start by marking “Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)” as Want to Read:
Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)

Nerilka's Story

(Pern #8)

Everyone, holder and dragonrider alike, pitched in to help--except Nerilka's father, who refused to share Fort Hold's bounty with the other holds. So, ashamed of her family and determined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies and sneaked off to aid her people.Her quest to help wherever she was most needed led her finally to Ruatha Hold, where Lord Alessa ...more
Published October 4th 1997 by Del Rey (first published February 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Nerilka's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nerilka's Story

Start your review of Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)
Susan Kennedy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another fantastic story of Pern. This one is during the same time as Moreta. Nerilka is a beautiful soul who just can't stand how her father is with the people in her hold and the area around. Her father is a cold man that I haven't liked in either book. She has had enough of his nonsense, so she leaves the hold to find her own way. She is a brilliant character who puts meaning into her life by helping others. She is good at what she does and she thrives. Her mother taught her everything she kno ...more
Jerry
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Definitely not my favorite Anne McCaffrey novel. Hope the later books are better than this.
Nathan
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can see why this was where I quit on the series on my first attempt many years ago. This isn't a terrible story, but it doesn't do anything to move the overall plot of the series forward and does very little to build important characters or to enrich the reader's understanding of Pern. It feels extra.
Elana
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Ehh...I find as I return to Pern stories in my old age and re-read them that I like the depiction of the women's lot less and less. Nerilka has a strong voice, and this ancillary tale is engaging - but I genuinely disliked the depiction of her "romance", if you can even use that word, with Alessan.

More like 2.5 stars for the unfulfilling relationship Nerilka ends up in; but McCaffrey is still a talented writer with an impressive vocabulary, and I must award style points where points are due.
Kaylabee
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book! It was a nice break from McCaffrey’s third person voice- the story is told directly from Nerilka’s point of view. It also moved at a clipped pace, as its meant to be a companion book to Moreta.

It did feel like discovering the diary of someone who lived at a tumultuous time! I appreciated the added layers of understanding and story that this book provides to the Pern series.

Nerilka was a very calm and stalwart heroine- she knew her talents and was a grown woman wh
Joan
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very annoyed with how much of the story was recycled from Moreta the first time I read it years ago, but not as annoyed this time. However, the fact remains much is recycled rather than original so I’m not going any higher than 3 stars. However, this is a rather decent story too. Nerilka has long since realized her lot in life is completely constrained by her parents’ decisions on her marriage and expects no happiness in life. Her one real friend was married to Alessan of Ruatha Hold until ...more
prcardi
Storyline: 1/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
World: 2/5

The possibilities promised by the parallel tale format are enticing. See the other point of view, find out about another’s struggles, learn about entirely new relationships and connections, see what happened to minor compatriots or major ones off-page. Nerilka’s Story, a parallel tale to Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern , supplies only a few of these and those only perfunctorily. This is not a story that can be read as a stand-alone. In lieu of
Katie
This one felt a bit unnecessary - I liked Nerilka, but it didn't have a whole lot of plot movement going for it.
Olga Godim
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Readable, but only just. It took an effort to finish. No more McCaffrey for me.
Lila Diller
I highly recommend reading Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern first, as it gives more of the overarching framework.

I have always liked the change to first-person POV, and telling the story from the vantage point of a very minor character fascinates me.

I normally like to start with The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall and Dragonsdawn, working my way chronologically through Pern's history. But while in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, I decided to try reading this to determine if reading about plagues
Sara
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This novella, set in McCaffrey’s epic world of Pern, is stylistically more like a Regency romance than a science-fiction short story. McCaffrey provides an prologue which explains the setting and historical background of the story, but it is more confusing than explanatory, and readers would do well to skip to the story itself.

Nerilka is one of the many daughters of the Lord of Fort Hold, and as a plain, hard-working girl, harbors no romantic thoughts of a lavish marriage and escape from Fort Ho
Chris Gager
Started this last night after finishing "Paris Review #183." Rescued from somewhere - maybe the town transfer station book shelves. Safe to say that Anne M.'s work never appeared in THAT periodical! This is my third Pern read. So far I've enjoyed the late Ms. McCaffrey's prose - easy to read and enjoyable. I like that she leans heavily on female protagonists too. "Dragondrums" featured a Ray Liotta look-alike in the cover art and this one features a Nerilka who looks like Sandra Bernhard with a ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Lord Alessan is in need of help to fight the plague. With the Dragonriders loosing respect, the holders aren't doing their part. Then again, some of these dragonriders have been abusing their privileges. Nerilka is the one who saves the day. I liked her, especially as she is the overlooked one. I was mixed about this story as Alessan loved Moreta and lost her. Somehow, Nerilka felt like a second place replacement. It was kind of discomforting to me. She's always "second" place.
Amalia Dillin
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
I feel like this is a can't miss companion to Moreta's story. If you like Moreta, you need Nerilka's Story in your library too! A definite departure though, written in first person from the perspective of an older Nerilka looking back.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a good story, but there is some overlap with Moreta's story, and not a whole lot besides.
Mary List
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little bittersweet romance
Bonnie Jean
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super quick read- took me only a couple hours to finish- but surprisingly one of the better Pern novels. I'm a bit sad I missed this one on my first read through- I'm pretty sure teenage me would have enjoyed Nerilka's story even more than adult me did. This is exactly the sort of novella that The White Dragon left me wishing for. I would have loved to see a novella like this from Mirrim's POV also before the series had ended- a background story, not 100% necessary to moving the plot forward, bu ...more
Cynthia
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lady Nerilka is a daughter of the Lord of Hold Fort. She is not an attractive girl. Her mother has trained her to be a healer for the Hold: collecting herbs, making medicines, and keeping a still room. Lord and Lady and several of Nerilka's sister attend a gather at Rutha Hold, where a deadly virus is running rampant through Pern. Nerilka's father returns home without his wife and children, who die at Rutha.
Nerilka uses her skills to try to help the Healer's Hall. Her father declares no one is a
Michael Galarneau
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Pern series of books. This particular tale in the series is very enjoyable, and a quick read. The reason I enjoy this book so much is due to it's intertwined connection the Moreta story. In the first two trilogies of this series the Legend of Moreta's ride is often mentioned. Then, Anne McCaffrey actually writes the story behind that legend. Now, the brief novella of Nerilka takes and almost non-existent character from the Moreta story and retells the tale from her point of view. Betw ...more
Suzanne Brayton
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why back when i was binge reading the Pern books i missed this one. So I had found a copy used and picked it up. Finally worked it into my epic year of reading.

One thing i love abut Anne McCaffrey is her vocabulary. Very few people have one as big as mine, and then even fewer use the very specific word that works for any given situation.

This book can stand alone even though it is part of the Pern story arc, McCaffrey puts an intro to Pern at the beginning so you can understand abo
Alison Swearingen
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I liked this book, it was a quick read and kind of cool to see from Nerilka's point of view as she was just a minor character in the previous book. However, it was not terribly exciting and about 80% of the book was exactly the same events as the previous one, just from a different point of view. I did appreciate the last 20% where you get to see a few characters you care about end up in different places. Overall, I was not hugely impressed but I did like it well enough. I look forward to readin ...more
Saphyre
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet second telling

Paired with Moreta's story, this quick read gives a second point of view of the terrible toll on Pern and it's people when plague hits during the years of a fall.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the author decided to make this a separate book as it could have been Incorporated into Moreta's story without having to rewrite parts of the storyline.

That said, this quick read tied up some lingering questions and that was worth that bit of duplicated reading.
Carley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope Glidden
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read some reviews complaining that Nerilka's Story doesn't do anything to advance the story of Pern. I disagree. Even though it's a short novel and an easy read, it gives a look in the sociological and psychological workings of the holds and weyrs. I have been reading these books in the order of publication. This is really the first time I wish I had started reading in chronological order because it sometimes take a moment to figure out where I am in the Pern timeline. But there's always dr ...more
Pixi Jo
See I loved Moreta, it was the most perfect of McCaffrey's dragon books as far as this one is concerned. So learning that this book was like the direct "sequel" to that book I snapped it up fast as JAWS does a lone swimmer at sea.

It wasn't what I expected and I will admit I was disappointed, because the dragons pretty much don't show up.

HOWEVER!
I did enjoy finding out, from a holder's point of view, what it was like during the plague, and Nerilka is a genuinely nice character and I like how the
travelgirlut
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
If McCaffrey and taken Moreta and Nerilka and somehow made them into one book with alternating perspectives, I think it would have made a much more engaging story. It gets a little tedious reading the same dialogue in this book that was in Moreta. And again, the ending of this book is spoiled in the previous one, so there are no surprises. It's a nice enough story, but not one of the best in the Pern series.
Angela
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books. It's one of my all time favourites. I decided to re-read the entire Dragonriders of Pern series and over the past couple of months, I have been working my way through them all. Anne McCaffrey has such a wonderful, boundless imagination and such a vivid and descriptive style, her stories transport the reader into the fantastic world that she created and sweeps you up on the breathtaking adventures. Spellbinding!
Joy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-scifi
This is a short parallel novella to Moreta Dragonlady of Pern.

It was an interesting read but not a necessary read in the grand scape of the Pern series.

Nerilka is the daughter of the Lord Holder of Fort Hold. She is left behind there when the plague breaks out and is spared illness but had to deal with her mother's death, her father quickly taking his mistress as his new wife, and her father's insolence about the plague and sharing supplies.
Susan Lozano
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book

Not an adventurous tale or a steamy romance, just a quiet story about an ordinary person caught up in the aftermath of a disaster she doesn’t really understand. No extraordinary powers here, even the dragons are kind of peripheral to the story. There’s just people, doing their best. As a side note, you really should read Moreta first to understand the events going on around Nerilka.
Zach Glickson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
As with all her books and especially this series.... Just brilliant. Her books make you want to just lay in the hammock (I spend a lot of time in the hammock reading books) for hours at a time and wish you actually lived in this fantasy world and felt like you could start talking to these characters without even blinking an eye.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Legends II
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Legends
  • Black Trillium
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • From a High Tower (Elemental Masters, #10)
  • The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, #2)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Freehold  (Freehold #1)
  • Almost Amish: One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life
  • A Study in Sable (Elemental Masters #11)
  • The Bartered Brides (Elemental Masters, #13)
  • Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters, #3)
  • The Ship Avenged (Brainship, #7)
  • Second Stage Lensmen (Lensmen, #5)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Pern (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)
  • All the Weyrs of Pern (Pern, #11)