Start by marking “Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)” as Want to Read:
Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)

Nerilka's Story

(Pern #8)

Everyone, holder and dragonrider alike, pitched in to help--except Nerilka's father, who refused to share Fort Hold's bounty with the other holds. So, ashamed of her family and determined to do her part, Nerilka packed up medicines and supplies and sneaked off to aid her people.Her quest to help wherever she was most needed led her finally to Ruatha Hold, where Lord Alessa ...more
Published October 4th 1997 by Del Rey (first published February 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Nerilka's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nerilka's Story

Susan Kennedy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another fantastic story of Pern. This one is during the same time as Moreta. Nerilka is a beautiful soul who just can't stand how her father is with the people in her hold and the area around. Her father is a cold man that I haven't liked in either book. She has had enough of his nonsense, so she leaves the hold to find her own way. She is a brilliant character who puts meaning into her life by helping others. She is good at what she does and she thrives. Her mother taught her everything she kno ...more
Nathan
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-02-february
I can see why this was where I quit on the series on my first attempt many years ago. This isn't a terrible story, but it doesn't do anything to move the overall plot of the series forward and does very little to build important characters or to enrich the reader's understanding of Pern. It feels extra.
Olga Godim
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Readable, but only just. It took an effort to finish. No more McCaffrey for me.
Kaylabee
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book! It was a nice break from McCaffrey’s third person voice- the story is told directly from Nerilka’s point of view. It also moved at a clipped pace, as its meant to be a companion book to Moreta.

It did feel like discovering the diary of someone who lived at a tumultuous time! I appreciated the added layers of understanding and story that this book provides to the Pern series.

Nerilka was a very calm and stalwart heroine- she knew her talents and was a grown woman wh
Sara
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This novella, set in McCaffrey’s epic world of Pern, is stylistically more like a Regency romance than a science-fiction short story. McCaffrey provides an prologue which explains the setting and historical background of the story, but it is more confusing than explanatory, and readers would do well to skip to the story itself.

Nerilka is one of the many daughters of the Lord of Fort Hold, and as a plain, hard-working girl, harbors no romantic thoughts of a lavish marriage and escape from Fort Ho
Chris Gager
Started this last night after finishing "Paris Review #183." Rescued from somewhere - maybe the town transfer station book shelves. Safe to say that Anne M.'s work never appeared in THAT periodical! This is my third Pern read. So far I've enjoyed the late Ms. McCaffrey's prose - easy to read and enjoyable. I like that she leans heavily on female protagonists too. "Dragondrums" featured a Ray Liotta look-alike in the cover art and this one features a Nerilka who looks like Sandra Bernhard with a ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Lord Alessan is in need of help to fight the plague. With the Dragonriders loosing respect, the holders aren't doing their part. Then again, some of these dragonriders have been abusing their privileges. Nerilka is the one who saves the day. I liked her, especially as she is the overlooked one. I was mixed about this story as Alessan loved Moreta and lost her. Somehow, Nerilka felt like a second place replacement. It was kind of discomforting to me. She's always "second" place.
Amalia Dillin
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
I feel like this is a can't miss companion to Moreta's story. If you like Moreta, you need Nerilka's Story in your library too! A definite departure though, written in first person from the perspective of an older Nerilka looking back.
Mary List
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little bittersweet romance
Sandra
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Allez, je vais être dure avec ce tome de La Ballade de Pern, mais c'est pour la bonne cause dirons-nous. Je trouve dommage de tomber sur un tel tome dans une saga que j'adore !

Ce tome est la suite directe de La Dame aux dragons, du cycle interne de L'Épidémie (qui ne compte d'ailleurs que ces deux tomes).

Pour faire court, dans La Dame aux dragons on apprend qu'une épidémie fait rage et on va suivre (à la troisième personne) ce que va faire Moreta pour en venir à bout. Finalement, une certaine N
Michael Galarneau
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Pern series of books. This particular tale in the series is very enjoyable, and a quick read. The reason I enjoy this book so much is due to it's intertwined connection the Moreta story. In the first two trilogies of this series the Legend of Moreta's ride is often mentioned. Then, Anne McCaffrey actually writes the story behind that legend. Now, the brief novella of Nerilka takes and almost non-existent character from the Moreta story and retells the tale from her point of view. Betw ...more
Alison Swearingen
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I liked this book, it was a quick read and kind of cool to see from Nerilka's point of view as she was just a minor character in the previous book. However, it was not terribly exciting and about 80% of the book was exactly the same events as the previous one, just from a different point of view. I did appreciate the last 20% where you get to see a few characters you care about end up in different places. Overall, I was not hugely impressed but I did like it well enough. I look forward to readin ...more
Joy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-scifi
This is a short parallel novella to Moreta Dragonlady of Pern.

It was an interesting read but not a necessary read in the grand scape of the Pern series.

Nerilka is the daughter of the Lord Holder of Fort Hold. She is left behind there when the plague breaks out and is spared illness but had to deal with her mother's death, her father quickly taking his mistress as his new wife, and her father's insolence about the plague and sharing supplies.
Angela
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books. It's one of my all time favourites. I decided to re-read the entire Dragonriders of Pern series and over the past couple of months, I have been working my way through them all. Anne McCaffrey has such a wonderful, boundless imagination and such a vivid and descriptive style, her stories transport the reader into the fantastic world that she created and sweeps you up on the breathtaking adventures. Spellbinding!
travelgirlut
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
If McCaffrey and taken Moreta and Nerilka and somehow made them into one book with alternating perspectives, I think it would have made a much more engaging story. It gets a little tedious reading the same dialogue in this book that was in Moreta. And again, the ending of this book is spoiled in the previous one, so there are no surprises. It's a nice enough story, but not one of the best in the Pern series.
Zach Glickson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
As with all her books and especially this series.... Just brilliant. Her books make you want to just lay in the hammock (I spend a lot of time in the hammock reading books) for hours at a time and wish you actually lived in this fantasy world and felt like you could start talking to these characters without even blinking an eye.
Holly Ristau
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
According to my entry in 1996, this is the 3rd Pern novel, but according to goodreads it's #8! Norilka's father is a head of a Hold and she leaves and becomes part of a different one. Much better than it sounds!
Terri Olinger
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked this book

I have always liked this book it gives you a real sense of how much info can be left out of some stories and what can be done to add another person's life thoughts to it all
Colleen Mertens
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first book in which I heard about Pern. I liked Nerilka a lot and want to read more of the series about Pern. This story takes a minor character from one of the other books and tells her story. It was fun to read and I will check out more in Pern soon.
Jodie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a short one. It was OK, but I was hoping there would be more detail about the major events, like what happened after Moreta’s accident, but before the hatching. Four example, how were the selfish Lord holder and the defected weyer leader punished?
Connie Moore
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the continuation of the plague of Pern story line begun in Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern. Nerilka is a minor character (or so it seemed) in the Moreta book. This tells a chunk of the same story from a different perspective. Make sure you read Moreta's story before this one.
Spigana
Šis jau vairāk atgādināja Džeinu Eiru, nevis fantāzijas grāmatu, bet tieši tas man arī sērijā visvairāk patīk - daudzveidība gan varoņos, gan stāstos un tas, cik lielā mērā tiek parādīta pasaules ikdiena.
Tasneem
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Nerilka is such a strong character. When the plague hits, she doesn't give in to fear but takes what she wants and works for the future she desires. It was interesting to see the other side of the Moreta story.
Kate
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anne McCaffrey is the quintessential writer of fantasy books pertaining to dragons. These books are always wonderful, well written, and perfectly characterized. All of her series are great but the ones that take place on Pern are the best of all. A thoroughly fun and engaging read.
Judy
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I read this several years ago and I don't remember it very well. I saved the book so I must have liked the story (no guarantee though).
Mai
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poignant story that fits in with Moreta's ride. Love it.
Arielle
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By most of the action of the story being told in the previous book this one just gets to focus so solidly on Nerilka. I loved her growth and character.
Tara
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the other. It didn't feel like a Pern book. The timeline felt off. Everything seemed to happen in two or three days, while Moretta's story made it feel longer. I also hated how McCaffrey put Rill and Alessan in a relationship. That's a -100 on the romance meter.
Letitia Dixon-coombs
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite Pern Story ever. Heartbreak and Redemption with a beautiful love story woven through.
Nina Braden
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
More of a 3+. Not really enough to distinguish it from Moreta.
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Traitor's Sun (Darkover, #26)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Exile's Honor (Heralds of Valdemar, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Pern (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)
  • All the Weyrs of Pern (Pern, #11)
“To cry was to release all sorts of ugly little pressures and tensions. Like waking out of a long, dark dream to a sun-filled day.” 76 likes
“Above us, outlined against the brilliant sky, dragons crowded every available perching space on the Rim. And the sun made a gold of every one of them.” 14 likes