Start by marking “Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)” as Want to Read:
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)

Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern (Chronological Order) #12)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  24,115 Ratings  ·  384 Reviews

An air of pleasant anticipation hung so thickly over the Halls, Holds, and Weyrs of Pern that it had affected even the businesslike ways of Moreta, the Weyrwoman of Fort Weyr. Her dragon, Queen Orlith, would soon clutch; spring had made a glorious debut; the Gather at Ruatha Hold was extremely merry; and Moreta was enjoying the attentions of Alessan, the new Lord Holder of

Published October 4th 1997 by Del Rey (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Moreta, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bob The don't travel back in time because they didn't travel back in time. If you read "Dragonsblood" you'll get it explained better than I can!

Heather Whitehead
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, sci-fi
I've read a few of the other reviews, and I think many of the readers have missed the whole point of this book. One reader discusses in his review beginning writing skills taught in school - but completely missed the boat when it came to beginning comprehension skills.

This story is not centered around a supposedly incurable virus. That virus is merely part of the setting. The climax of the story did not happen when the cure for the virus was discovered (as the above mentioned reviewer surmised)
Icarus
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans, dragon fans
When I was a kid, I remember learning in English class about the parts of a narrative: Rising Action, Climax, and Denouement. The teacher illustrated this by drawing an equilateral triangle on the board, with the rising action on the left side and the falling action on the right, and the climax as the peak of the triangle.

Did we all get taught this concept the same way?

It didn't take me long to learn that this was absurdly wrong. The climax occurs very close to the end of the narrative, not in
Susan Kennedy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Emily
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's been decades since I read this book. I don't know if it would hold up to adult Emily's standards, but what I do remember is that it's the first book that made me cry. I remember crying and hurling it across the room. Being able to elicit that memorable of a response earns it a 5-star rating, at least in my very subjective and forgiving rating system.
The Pern series overall swept me away. I remember reading the first trilogy and wishing with all my heart that it was real, that I could bond
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is the story of Moreta, a Dragon Healer and Weyrwoman in the old time (way before the Current Pass with F'lar and Lessa as Weyrleaders of Benden).

A flu-like plague begins to spread across the land, and it's up to her and her dragon to help find a cure.

This book is one of my top 5 favorites from Anne McCaffrey... I won't give away the ending, but it makes me cry each and every time, I'm not going to lie about it. I'm a wimp, what can I say :)
Spuddie
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#7 overall publication order of the "Pern" fantasy series, this seems to be a stand-alone story of the weyr-woman Moreta, whose dragon Orlith is the queen of Fort Weyr. The events in this book happen about 900 years before the earlier books in the series, and take place when they are just discovering that dragons cannot only go "between" and thus traverse hundreds of miles in the blink of an eye, but that they can also go other places in TIME. A plague is upon the land, started by a strange cat- ...more
Maddalenah
Oh my God, the BEAUTY of this book.
I was kinda reluctant about starting it; it's been a few months since I've read my last Pern book, and I had this feeling that it was gonna be slow and a bit boring. How in the world could I forget the wonder that is Pern as a world and as a book series, I seriously don't know.
This book is set in the past (if we consider the present the time in which the first two trilogy were set), describing a part of the life of one of the most famous Dragonwomen in the hi
Joan
I love the medical aspect, and the exploration of how different people respond to medical crisis. And Moreta is in many ways, the most adult of McCaffrey's characters since we only know her as an adult. Maybe for that reason, she seemed better rounded and capable than many of the other characters in the series.
Karen
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
If you enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's previous six Pern books, you'll probably enjoy this one. If you were getting tired of meeting the same characters with different names or beginning to get frustrated by the discrepancy between the books' potential and what they actually delivered, Moreta will be more of the same.

The story, which takes place nearly 1000 years before Dragonflight and the Harper Hall trilogy, involves a planet-wide plague of mysterious "flu" and the efforts of the people of the plane
Xara Niouraki
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted to give it 2 stars but the ending made me cry, so 3 stars it is.
drowningmermaid
I was really delighted to be starting in on another Anne McCaffery book after too long away. As a child, I sort of looked down my nose at McCaffery's escapist simplicity, but as an adult, I find I love it (at least, as a change of pace), and I no longer believe that grittiness necessarily equates to realism. I also no longer believe that I could write such a happy world if I tried.

Because Pern is a happy world. A kind of STAR TREK:TOS with dragons. The good people are noble and true and hardwork
Mazil
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you’ve been following along with Pern, this is a nice trip back to an earlier time where the inhabitants retain more memories of the origins of Pern. Moreta and her dragon and the other characters are enjoyable, and her challenge is interesting.
Barb J
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Sadder than most of the Pern novels, this one deals with a plague which sweeps through the planet I found the Dragondex at the back of the book very helpful.
Ronel
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
[Please forgive me if any names are misspelled. I used and audio book and just did not feel like looking up the correct spelling of every character.]

After reading the sagas of the dragon riders of Pern and the Harper Hall tales I became a big fan of Benden Wheir people. So it was a bigger adjustment than I thought to now think of Fort Wheir as the most important of the Wheirs. I also started becoming accustomed to how Pernese, and especially dragon people, view their sexual lifestyles but it was
Lucinda
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My love of fantasy genre began after reading works by authors of my parents and grandparents age, including Anne McCaffrey whose masterful creation ignited a spark that has burned brightly ever since. Since devouring works by authors such as Terry Goodkind and Raymond E Feist alongside the more current writers, I have always tended to look back at those works which really captured the essence of this genre and forming it so that it made it what it is today. Anne’s creation surrounding the world ...more
Merlin
Aug 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have a rule that I call the "Dracula Rule" which states that you have to read at least fifty pages of a book before you pass even summary judgment. The rule exist to protect books, such as its namesake, that are a little slow to start. And it is this rule that saved this book for it is on page fifty that the first hint of a plot appears. Okay they try to establish a 'star-crossed lover' plot, which is a stupid plot to begin with and is even more toothless when neither lover holds a position th ...more
Rena Sherwood
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, otherworldly
Every reader has a guilty pleasure. The Dragonrider of Pern books are mine. No, they are not the most earth-shattering novels ever published and they do not break any bounds of literary expression but they are a lot of fun. I was in elementary school when I first read the first 6 books in the series (which now are NOT considered the first 6 chronologically), so I was familiar with the legend of Moreta, a sort of sexy Florence Nightingale who rode dragons.

description

Although I like the book and got caught u
Casey
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
The ending was extremely sad! Found myself close to tearing up, which is surprising considering that this book was quite a snoozefest for me.

I enjoyed the character Moreta. Compared to her biggest fan years later, Lessa, she is a nice mix of carefree and responsible, depending on the situation. I think she is my favorite Pern weyrwoman so far.

Sh'gall was a raving lunatic. Really one-dimensional character for a man. Alessan interested me, and I liked his "forbidden" romance with Moreta, but it wa
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Depressing, this book was sad for me. I liked Moreta and her "mate" was an asshole. I was mixed though. Should she have been with Lord Alessan? I can understand their desire to be together. They are both people who honour the old ways and yet are adaptable to change. They want to save the world. Their saviour complexes are what did me in. They do so much and in the end, they didn't really get what they wanted, did they? Star-crossed lovers due to politics. I just want to scream in frustration!
Katie
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Outbreak/Contagion/Balto, with teleporting Dragons. Awesome right? Well it loses a star for some very abrupt happenings at the end that were rushed and not set up well, and there wasn't enough detail about the famed flight that inspired the ballad mentioned so often in the series. If I could do half stars it would only get 2.5.
Xan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Situado a medio camino en la cronología interna de la saga, cuando aún se recordaba la llegada desde la Tierra y las viejas técnicas aún no habían desaprecido por completo. Interesante para completar la trilogía del Dragón Blanco.
Marina
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read it in an antho On Dragonwings.
Re-read 4/4/16-4/8/16 the hardcover Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern.

Totally forgot I read the book a long time ago. It was still just as good! 4.5 stars for me! Wonderful characters and story. Vivid but the story has a sad and bittersweet ending. To add to the distress of Thread a plague is upon the land.I cried near the end!=0(
Moreta and the borrowed dragon she was riding did not return from "between." I loved Moreta and did not want her to die. Such a terrible ac
Beka
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, scifi
Moreta was an enjoyable read, I liked seeing the healing side of things. Leri was a lot of fun, and Orlith is so laid back compared to Ramoth, and even Faranth to a degree. I liked getting to know her. I do wish Moreta wasn't quite so passive about mating flights, but that became a moot point. I can't even figure out how she and Sh'gall happened, unless Orlith happened to like Kadith the best of the bronzes as Moreta had no preference. The epidemic itself was interesting as was seeing what all h ...more
Sandra
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Changement de programme pour un nouveau « cycle interne » celui de L'Épidémie. On se trouve ici bien des années avant les tomes précédents.

Nous allons y rencontrer Moreta, dame du Weyr, qui possède donc une reine dorée. Tout est au beau fixe avec différents rassemblements dans les Forts, les gens dansent, chantent, participent à des courses, peuvent découvrir de nouveaux spécimens animaux du continent méridional, une belle ambiance de fête, peu avant la chute des Fils, mais tout est sous contrô
Greg Santana
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get through it. It wasn't interesting enough for me. Too much time building the romance and not enough plot. The characters were flat to me, no unique or interesting personalities to compensate.

Once the plot got started it was pretty straight forward. No questions were raised, no antagonist or actionable problem.

Maybe it gets better, but even the writing style was dull to me. I can't believe a Planet with dragons and organic killing spores raining from the sky could be so monotonous.
Gillian Murrell
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Another interesting insight into life on Pern. This book goes back to an earlier time when the dragon riders first discovered that the dragons could go back or forward in time when they go between. I could not help but feel sorry for Moreta to have to endure mates that she may not even like all because their dragons where the ones to catch her own dragon when it was in heat. I guess its no different to arranged marriages some work out perfectly and others don't. Pern becomes infected b ...more
Vidra
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
After enjoying The White Dragon, I was looking forward to Anne's next book on my list. However, I accidentally spoiled the ending of the book for myself (Shards!) and started the book with reluctance.
The first third-or-so of the book just didn't catch my attention. There were too many characters and too many small events happening all at once and it was hard for me to keep track. This is the only reason why I reduced a star from the rating.
After seeing the events a bit more clearly my interest w
travelgirlut
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I was loathe to read this since I already knew how it ended and I wasn't in the mood for a cry fest. If you read the series in order, there's no avoiding knowing what's going to happen since it's spelled out quite clearly in Dragonsinger. I read it in spurts just to make the ending be just that little bit farther off. But the ending came, and I cried, but thankfully it's short and sweet and, honestly, a tiny bit abrupt. The big event happens, and then, the end. That's it. But it was enjoyable no ...more
Evelynn
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started this book, I could not see how it was going to be this epic tale as indicated in the other Pern books. As it progressed, I found it funny, heartening, full of strife, struggle, betrayal and pettiness. But in the end it was epic. It didn't really hit me that is WAS epic until the following day when I realized how Orlith and Leri endured and the sheer number Moreta helped on her ride.
Diana
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written more than 30 years ago and I have a 1st edition of the paperback, a book that I periodically reread. McCaffrey spins a great tale and there are times when I just want to get swept up in an undemanding read. When that feeling overtakes me, I put aside the more difficult modern book and pick up any of the more than a dozen McCaffrey books that I own and dive into a compelling and easy story.
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Exile's Song (Darkover, #24)
  • Winds of Fate (Valdemar: Mage Winds #1)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)
“When bad fortune occurs, the unresourceful, unimaginative man looks about him to attach the blame to someone else; the resolute accepts misfortune and endeavors to survive, mature, and improve because of it.” 28 likes
“Given the infinite variety of human personalities, it was impossible to like everyone.” 1 likes