Start by marking “Pedro Páramo. El Llano en llamas” as Want to Read:
Pedro Páramo. El Llano en llamas

Pedro Páramo. El Llano en llamas

Pedro Páramo y El Llano en llamas representan dos aportaciones fundamentales a la literatura contemporánea en lengua castellana. Tanto en la novela como en la colección de relatos, Juan Rulfo nos transporta con gran maestría de lo real a lo fantástico por medio de un estilo vigoroso y poético. Profundamente enraizada en lo popular, la narrativa de Juan Rulfo describe con c

Perfect Paperback, 290 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by PLANETA (first published 1955)

Start your review of Pedro Páramo. El Llano en llamas
Stuart
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious readers and writers
Recommended to Stuart by: A guy at a bookstore in Mexico City
Juan Rulfo wrote this one very short novel and methodically broke almost every rule of storytelling. This is the most difficult book I've ever read, with a main character who disappears and a completely backwards way of introducing characters (he doesn't). Frustrating, bewildering and utterly fascinating. This is a book of surprises, most apt for avid readers and other writers. The most original narrative strategy I've encountered anywhere.

The plot starts with a man trudging over the barren and
Wayne
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing. A short, dense work in English translation (though versions vary widely). A Mexican classic and classic of magic realism. Garcia Marquez (100 Years of Solitude) claimed his writing was most influenced by Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' and Rulfo's 'Pedro Paramo. He could quote passages many, many pages long. The author, Juan Rulfo, was a laborer and tire salesman who only published one novel in his lifetime - a masterpiece that is read and taught widely in Mexico, Central, and South Am ...more
Gabriela
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabriela by: Barbara my english teacher and friend
Read it when I was 15 and haven't read anything even remotely similar since. I particularly remember him writing that every time you sigh a little bit of your soul leave the body... Strange, it is filled with sentences like that. I found it intriguing.
Cris
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phantasmagorical and oneiric. A bit hard to follow. A dive into a choral collective subconscious. Felt a bit like a descent into some Dantean inferno.
Liz
Read "El Llano en Llamas," maybe when I've recovered I'll read "Pedro Paramo."

Damn!! These stories were intense!! They were definitely... disturbing and moving and uncomfortable to read. They gave me very strong and strange feelings... NOT good ones.

This edition of the book isn't even 300 pages long. Still, it's incredible, masterful writing. Juan Rulfo earned that Noble Prize. Reading these stories, you can definitely tell he had a lot he wanted to say, and that it had been building up inside
Saul the Heir of Isauldur
Pedro Páramo is a bit confusing at first, but everything makes sense at the end, after you have the full story. A nice, eerie tale with a lot of atmosphere.
Cecilia
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El Llano en Llamas - ¡El horror! ¡El horror! (The horror! The horror!)

This comment is in Spanish and English. Scroll down to get to the comment in English.

"Pedro Páramo y El Llano en Llamas" es una genial obra de arte. Es duro de leer pero difícil dejar de leerlo. Difícil de leer por la violencia y la crueldad que salen de las páginas. La violencia a veces es más sugerida que mostrada; se palpa su evidencia fría. En otros momentos el lector se convierte en testigo de los actos, y en otros, en co
JC
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I only read Pedro Paramo in Spanish for our Spanish literature class. I am yet to read El Llano en llamas.

What I like about Pedro Paramo is that it is well written and the story is amazing. I love how he used life and death in a different way. The style in narrating is very unique. To be honest, at first, it was a bit confusing for me because it was my first time to encounter this kind of narration. But as I continued reading it, the flow (and the breaks) of the story added to its magical realis
Nancy
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what he's able to convey in so little is the size of this world...that his subject matter lies in the everyday, in the way someone tells a story, in one's journey from yesterday to today to tomorrow, in the natural order of things, in people's conversations...you can imagine what rural life in México was like...that he's able to convert words into the means and not the end...that he's able to convey the underlying soul of México...amazing.
Eric
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
who am i to argue with susan sontag, who called this one of the "great masterpieces of 20th century world literatre"? or gabriel garcia marquez, who reportedley has commited it to memory? (a wonderful notion, even if, in fact, a fiction). i won't. it is indeed a quite spectacular, mystical and poetic mediation on death, of a town, of a family, and of many individual souls. the edition including the photographs of josephine sacabo adds an extraordinary visual aspect.
Olga Roldán
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are curious about Mexican surreal writing
I saw another face of the rural Mexico, that one my grandmother and my granduncle told me about was of green grasses and trees plenty of fruits. This book, depicts a dry environment, where barely grows something and life isn't exactly a blessing.
CLAW
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juan Rulfo the one who BEGAN Magical Realism NOT Gabriel Garcia Marquez! this book was amazing. I cant find one criticism I had with it.

I havent read any translated versions so I can't comment on that.
Kevin Bell
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pedro Paramo is an exquisitely dense, complex work that likes to play with the reader. The language isn't difficult, but the intentional ruptures in time, place, etc., can be overwhelming to a casual peruser. You're better off reading this when you can focus on it.
Igor
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written short novel (Pedro Páramo) and great collection of short stories (El Llano en Llamas). I've read this book so many times I've lost count, but I still find it interesting every time.
Ben
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adultfic, spanish
Both of these are fantastic. Pedro Paramo is a surreal and haunting novella and El Llano en Llamas ("Fire on the Plains") is a slice of Mexican history. ...more
Jose Luis
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories, short
An excellent story full of elements like magic family and death. In this novel Juan Rulfo accomplishes to explain the way mexicans see death and why it's not feared but celebrated.
Ce
Who thought there are no spanish dark authors? Rulfo is intense and totally dark....His tales have lots of suffering and a great use of the word. Love his style!
Gregor Erbach
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
wow, what a powerful way of narrating
Jorge Antonio Olvera Mateos
I can say one thing about this work of the Mexican Literature: it´s a classic for ever! Rulfo is the master of everybody mexican writers after him... I believe it!
Michael
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are beautiful. If I had to put my finger on the finest books that I read while getting a masters in Latin American Lit, Juan Rulfo would likely take the prize. I really love this.
Jennifer Bueno
I suffered a lot this two books, maybe because I readed it in my teenage, bad moment to read this kind of books. I'm not sure if I can give a second chance to this two.
Roberto Gastélum
One of the finest works of latin american literature of the 20th century.
Kali
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Sometimes after I finish reading/watching/listening anything I particularly enjoyed I can't help but staying up all night bouncing around my room thinking "Ok, this was good, this is good" while trying to make up my mind. It happened to me with Don Quixote, The Trial and it happened to me with both of Rulfo's finished works, and in a very special way. I think I was gasping too.

Anyways, first there's El Llano en Llamas, where we can read the story of Cain and Abel multiple times, but everytime is
Om Hummingbird Reads
Juan Rulfo did not think of himself as a writer. He wrote this and that was it for him. He didn't want nothing to do with being taking as part of the movement of Magical Realism of the Latin American writers, the so called Boom. He didn't want the weight of being think of as a precursor of this genre. It didn't matter what he wanted, his books are considered a funding stone of Magical Realism and the Latin American writing style.
Javiera Ibarra
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in Spanish (original). Both stories allow the reader to venture into the heart of Latin America and its people. The book is capable of bringing us latinos back to our roots and feeling quite at home when arriving in a forgotten town, somewhere in the territory. Brings back our ancestors and ghosts. Beautiful.
Charlie Webster
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Can't recommend this book enough. I feel like I need to revisit this tiny little book many more times to grasp some of it's intricate and beautiful passages. So here's to reading it again in a year!
Drilona
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Good, but nothing extraordinary. Maybe it was just "too Mexican" for me to really get its vibe.

From the book :
" Each sigh is like a piece of your life that you are throwing away."
"it's hard to grow up knowing that the thing we have to hang on to to take roots from is dead."
Ricardo
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent narrative, with a fine description of characters and places in a very singular style. It might get a little confusing at times, although the reading is enjoyable.
Ana
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very special gender. I enjoyed reading it slowly.
Felipe CZ
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
two of the best stories in Latin America's literature
Club de Clitemnistra: Un libro de Verano: Pedro Páramo 3 2 Jul 21, 2020 12:49PM

• Julio Cortázar: Rayuela (Critical Guides to Spanish Texts)
  • Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte
  • Las batallas en el desierto
  • Bestiario
  • El túnel
  • El principio del placer
  • La tregua
  • Aura
  • La ciudad y los perros
  • The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings
  • Hopscotch
  • Todos los fuegos el fuego
  • Martín Fierro
  • The Aleph and Other Stories
  • El coronel no tiene quien le escriba
  • Los de abajo
Juan Rulfo nació el 16 de mayo de 1917 Él sostuvo que esto ocurrió en la casa familiar de Apulco, Jalisco, aunque fue registrado en la ciudad de Sayula, donde se conserva su acta de nacimiento. Vivió en la pequeña población de San Gabriel, pero las tempranas muertes de su padre, primero (1923), y de su madre poco después (1927), obligaron a sus familiares a inscribirlo en un internado en Guadalaja ...more