Jump to ratings and reviews

The Emotionally Intelligent Manager: How to Develop and Use the Four Key Emotional Skills of Leadership

We have long been taught that emotions should be felt and expressed in carefully controlled ways, and then only in certain environments and at certain times. This is especially true when at work, particularly when managing others. It is considered terribly unprofessional to express emotion while on the job, and many of us believe that our biggest mistakes and regrets are due to our reactions at those times when our emotions get the better of us. David R. Caruso and Peter Salovey believe that this view of emotion is not correct. The emotion centers of the brain, they argue, are not relegated to a secondary place in our thinking and reasoning, but instead are an integral part of what it means to think, reason, and to be intelligent. In The Emotionally Intelligent Manager, they show that emotion is not just important, but absolutely necessary for us to make good decisions, take action to solve problems, cope with change, and succeed. The authors detail a practical four-part hierarchy of emotional skills: identifying emotions, using emotions to facilitate thinking, understanding emotions, and managing emotions--and show how we can measure, learn, and develop each skill and employ them in an integrated way to solve our most difficult work-related problems.

320 pages, Hardcover

5 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
13 (11%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for Kris Muir.
109 reviews22 followers
January 23, 2020
Emotional intelligence has interested me for quite some time, but I've tended toward reading more of the "Goleman-type" books (e.g. "Emotional Intelligence 2.0" or "Primal Leadership") that are more popular with the mass market. These books have value, but I've realized that the problem with many of them is that they sometimes make mixed claims that are not evidence-based. In preparing to give a workshop on EI I did more digging into the science and came across this book. Caruso and Salovey provide a data-driven framework that can help any leader increase their ability to lead in an emotionally-intelligent way. Based on research from the 1980s, they developed a framework around 4 discrete skills: identifying, using, understanding, and managing emotions. The authors have also created an assessment called the MSCEIT that is arguably the gold standard for measuring EI. If you are interested in the MSCEIT as a potential assessment send me an email at kmuir2@nd.edu. This book has some flaws, like most books, most notably the over-use of personal examples. But the framework, exercises, and the practical advice rooted in science make it a worthy read for any leader.

Profile Image for Danijela Jerković.
76 reviews12 followers
June 15, 2022
The Emotionally Intelligent Manager How to Develop and Use the Four Key Emotional Skills of Leadership by David R. Caruso The Thoughts and Notes on The Emotionally Intelligent Manager...

“There is no separation of mind and emotions; emotions, thinking, and learning is all linked.” ~Eric Jensen

The fundamental premise of The Emotionally Intelligent Manager is that emotion is not just important but absolutely necessary for us to make good decisions, take optimal action to solve problems, cope with change, and succeed.

The four emotional skills around which is built The Emotionally Intelligent Manager:

1: Read People: Identifying Emotions.
Emotions contain data. They are signals to us about important events going on in our world,
whether it’s our internal world, social world, or the natural environment. We must accurately
identify emotions in others and be able to convey and express emotions accurately to others in
order to communicate effectively.

2: Get in the Mood: Using Emotions.
How we feel influences how we think and what we think about. Emotions direct our attention to
important events; they ready us for a certain action, and they help guide our thought processes as
we solve problems.

3: Predict the Emotional Future: Understanding Emotions.
Emotions are not random events. They have underlying causes; they change according to a set
of rules, and they can be understood. Knowledge of emotions is reflected by our emotion
vocabulary and our ability to conduct emotional what-if analyses.

4: Do It with Feeling: Managing Emotions.
Because emotions contain information and influence thinking, we need to incorporate
emotions intelligently into our reasoning, problem-solving, judging, and behaving. This requires
us to stay open to emotions, whether they are welcome or not, and to choose strategies that
include the wisdom of our feelings.

Each ability can be isolated from the others, but at the same time, each builds on the others.

The model of emotional intelligence begins with the awareness, recognition, and identification of emotion.

The emotionally intelligent manager prepares and plans for important social interactions.

The emotionally intelligent manager leverages the four skills in the model of emotional intelligence by:

1. Identifying how all of the key participants feel, themselves included
2. Using these feelings to guide the thinking and reasoning of the people involved
3. Understanding how feelings might change and develop as events unfold
4. Managing to stay open to the data of feelings and integrating them into decisions and actions

The Emotionally Intelligent Manager combines passion with logic, emotions with intelligence!

The processes by which managers or leaders create a shared vision, motivate others and encourage workers are likely based on the intelligent use of emotion and the integration of feelings with thinking.

The emotions do matter—all the time.
To ignore their role, to deny the wisdom of your own emotions and those of others is to invite failure as a person, as a manager, and as a leader.

“What really matters for success, character, happiness, and lifelong achievements is a definite set of emotional skills – your EQ — not just purely cognitive abilities that are measured by conventional IQ tests.”
~ Daniel Goleman

Six Principles of Emotional Intelligence...

1. Emotion is information.
2. We can try to ignore emotion, but it doesn’t work.
3. We can try to hide emotions, but we are not as good at it as we think.
4. Decisions must incorporate emotion to be effective.
5. Emotions follow logical patterns.
6. Emotional universals exist, but so do specifics.

The Emotional Blueprint offers an approach to the emotion that is intelligent. It does not threaten the importance of logic or reason.

Every day we think and make decisions and judgments, and each of these thoughts, decisions, and judgments are made with emotion.
This is not a choice we make; it’s simply the way we’re wired.
By choosing to ignore the emotional component and trying to be coldly rational, we risk making a poor decision.

Getting in the right mood starts with accurate emotional identification. Then you need to tap your knowledge of how your feelings and thoughts work together as a team. And finally, you have to deliver that feeling.

The emotional system is an intelligent system; that’s why it evolved in animals, including humans. Our emotions point us in the right direction and motivate us to do what needs to be done.

“Out of the marriage of reason with affect there issues clarity with passion. Reason without affect would be impotent, affect without reason would be blind.”
~Sylvan Tomkins

“We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy and doubt…”
~ Dorothy Day

Profile Image for Med Tijani.
2 reviews15 followers
December 23, 2020
Full of advices and keys to get up to speed , tuning my emotions,and enrich my emotional vocabulary,but not as I thought,was far from the quality of my aspirations.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.