Start by marking “The Lady” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,603 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
They are the Caradynes, who for over 200 years have bred and trained horses of the finest caliber on Coernanagh. But all is not idyllic at hearth and home. Catriona, the youngest child, longs to ride her family's big jumpers and show horses. Her father Michael, recognizes her gift, but her mother hates the very idea. All is in a stalemate until Lady Selina Healy enters the ...more
Published October 12th 1988 by Ballantine Books (first published October 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady

Kimikimi
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an odd book, it doesn't really match McCaffrey's other works and it's really a shame she didn't write more like it. I never had a horse girl phase, but some of my friends did and I always thought it was kind of stupid. We lived in a city, most of us would never see a horse let alone ride one. This is the first and only horse book I've ever read and it makes me see why girls go horse crazy.

The book is set in Ireland in the 70's, and it has a surprising number of focuses. Sure it's about
Maddux
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
*Not exactly a review*

I read this back when I was a teenager.

One of my aunts gave it to me for Christmas one year. I was so disappointed. Sure, I loved horses and there was a horse on the cover... but this book was the size of a refrigerator. Large print. Like I was an old woman. I was twelve.

Needless to say, this book sat on my shelves for years. Only growing bigger.

One summer, when I was probably 15, I had nothing better to do.

I picked up this fat-ass book and started reading.

And as I read,
Genevieve
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dug this up at my mom's house when visiting - it's a book I read over and over as a horse-crazed girl. While McCaffrey is known best for her Pern books, I wish she had published a few more like these. It's a straightforward story of an Irish family, all involved in horses. The story centers around three primary characters, a young girl growing up and facing both personal loss and the triumphs that come after years of hard work and dedication, her father, managing the stable and coping with his a ...more
Marie
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book so much that I own two autographed copies! One is so battered from reading and rereading that the pages are coming away from the bindings, the other is my reserve copy for when the first one falls to bits in my hands.

I love Caitriona and her family, and no matter that I've read it a dozen times, the ups and downs of their lives still captivate me so that I'm hard pressed to put the book down, even to sleep. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Ireland, horses or pe
Sharon Michael
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This is one of my 'take to a desert island' books. I've loved many of the Anne McCaffrey books, probably read all of the Pern books, loved many of the Pegasus in Flight series and the Ship Who Sang series. But if I had to choose just *one* book by McCaffrey to take with me if I were abandoned on a desert island, it would be this one.
Michael Sorensen
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-favorites
One of those books that kept the hope of love alive when it was all but dead inside me. I still love this book--of course, I love the Ireland of my youth as well, and this one brings it all together. A wonderful read. If you like National Velvet, this one will fill your desire!
Paxnirvana
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Dated. Doesn't hold up well. Very, very old skool romance.
Terri M.
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good book about horses. The writing style just not my speed.
Katie Marquette
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually REALLY enjoyed this book - proving I can still be just as enthralled with an excellent horse book... From ages 6-12, almost everything I read was equestrian-related - the Thoroughbred series, Marguerite Henry's classics, Black Beauty... I read and reread and devoured everything horses -being infected with that "horse gene" that has so many little girls collecting Breyer horses and watching National Velvet over and over again. This book took me back to those days - McCaffrey has writte ...more
Sam
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not at all what I expected from Anne McCaffrey (neither Sci-Fi or Fantasy) when I pulled this out of a bargain bin, but I really did enjoy it.
Jo-Ann Rosenkranz
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read and reread this so many times that my paperback copy is in sad shape... a great escape and a rich tale of a family and horses in Ireland
Soujisblackcat
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I got this book as a young Dragonriders of Pern fanatic and never read it, in spite of my Irish heritage and passion for horses, which should have made it perfect for me. I finally just read it last week, when I was really, really ill.

I have to say, I don't usually read these sorts of books anymore, so I probably wouldn't have picked it up had I not been so sick, but it turned out to be an enjoyable experience. The plot is definitely a soap opera, but for a soap opera it's pretty believable, and
Stacy
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stefanie
I originally found this book about 8 years ago at a local book outlet that sold books at great discounts. The cover is what attracted my attention as I am an avid horse lover despite never having owned a horse nor had the funds to ride for long.

I have read this time and time again and never get tired of the characters and the storyline. For such a short book it really packs in a lot of information and when reading (at least in my experience) it seems much longer than it really is.....but in a g
Karina
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horse lovers, romance
Shelves: romance, animal, horse
I gave up in high school reading horse books...that's because most of the stories were for young readers and I'd read them all. The only adult story with horses I knew about was Mary Stewart's Airs Above the Ground. So I turned to SciFi and Fantasy and via that found Anne McCaffrey. Found "The Lady" when I was searching for any of Anne's books I hadn't read. It was a wonderful story centered mainly about horses with details about riding and training in the Irish style. Then there were excellent ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I picked this story up because of the horse on the cover. I was not disappointed. This novel takes up the story of a large farm owner and his daughter. The world of hunters is shown pretty accurately while we watch a girl grow from a down trodden child into a young adult with a bit more confidence. Once her mother passes away her life blossoms a bit more with her mother's sharp tongue no longer there to push her back down into self loathing. The added layer of a love affair between her father an ...more
Mdh
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but mostly because I love horses. It does assume you know about horses though. If you don't know what 'on the bit' means, and you'll be annoyed that the phrase is not defined, then this might not be the book for you. But I loved reading all the horse bits, and I liked Catriona, who loves horses even more than I did when I was 14.

The book also had a fun romance, and some good villains. Some of the characters are a bit one dimensional, and things do seem to keep going w
Brittany
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Were you once an adolescent horse-mad girl? Are you currently an adolescent horse-mad girl? Do you want a fairly uncomplicated books with lots of horses and horsey issues in it? Then you're going to love this book.

You may not always love the main character—especially if you are an adult recalling your adolescence. She can be frustratingly passive. But if you're honest, you'll see reflections of yourself in her worries, in her guilt, and in her mis-steps. Don't worry; of course she never does an
Kate
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Mom
Shelves: horses
If you grew up on the Pullein-Thompsons, Follyfoot and the Jill series, you will love this book. In a big departure from McCaffrey's usual fare, it's a soapy drama about an Irish family that breeds and trains horses, and while there are some PG-13 adult situations, it contained enough talk about snaffle bits, 13.2 jump-offs and other horsey geekiness to make me feel like a pony-crazed 9 year old all over again. The ending feels a bit rushed, especially the sudden acceleration of Selina's situati ...more
David Whovian
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the kind of sf-fantasy novel that Anne McCaffrey is well-known for, but that's okay.
It's still Anne McCaffrey: warm, sincere, intriguing, moral without being heavy-handed, and a comfortable balance between character, setting, and plot.
It took me over a month to read because not only was I busy traveling, but the story seemed quite slow to start. Several times I considered abandoning it, but I am quite glad I didn't. The pace picked up, the characters came to life, and the story eventu
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Why is it that mothers are trying to suppress their daughters in so many of Ms. McCaffrey's books? It's a bit depressing for me. Lady is like a fairy godmother in this book. She makes the mother look horrible and well, a terrible wife too. I would rather be Lady than the mother.

This story is about a girl who sees that she can do more than just be a little girl. Her hopes and dreams are nurtured by someone who believes in her potential. Every person should have someone like this for them. Just a
Joanne
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though it isn't McCaffrey's normal sci-fi story, it is definitely her style, and I adored it. The only thing I wished for, was more! Too bad there is no sequel :( There are so many characters: ones to feel for, to feel against, and it might have benefited to write out individual's story lines a bit more. However, such is life, we only see what we know, and the future is a vague thing. McCaffrey leaves readers off at a satisfactory spot; an end to certain dramas, a hopeful look for the future. An ...more
Kenneth Flusche
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well kept picturing the movie "Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Murrine O'Hara, thinking red hair and green eyes but the book describes Black Hair and Blue Eyes... At first I was going to recommend it for 12 to 14 year old girls to learn them to servive minor or major life problems. but the story gets darker. Might be to dark for a 12 year old. The best thing is Anne knows how to write hold your attention from beginning to end even when you are not interested in horses or women's rights.
Elaine Dowling
Dec 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Loved this book, but it is not without its faults. It is a great horse story. The writing style is more YA, but the frankness (although not explicitness) of adultery and wife beating aren't what I think of as YA. The plot is hopelessly contrived, and to really tell its story well it needs to be three times as long. Nonetheless, I loved it. Great read. Just not a great book. Oh, and set in early 1970's Ireland -- not a dragon in sight.
Kelly
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Lady is set in Ireland in the early 1970s. It is the story of Michael Carradyne, owner of Cornanagh Stud trapped in a loveless marriage; his daughter Catriona, a girl on the edge of womanhood who must come to terms with her parents' conflicting plans for her future; and Selena Healy, a wealthy neighbor who has realized too late that her heart belongs to horses and to Cornanagh. Overall an enjoyable book about horses and Ireland.
Aprilvic
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Hoping I can make it through because the plot sounds great. I guess ,at my age, in my thirty third year , of my horse crazy life, long ,way too descriptive, juvenile , run on sentences , like this very sentence, that you are trying to decipher , in this goodreads book review, are just not my favorite.
Sharon
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
I really like this book. While ostensibly a book about a girl and her love for horses, I really got attached to the characters. I thought the detail was rich and amazing. The ending was very satisfying to me. That being said I do think the mother was a tad bit over done. I would have liked to have felt some sympathy for her as well.
Chris
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I like this book though it seems a bit bi-polar in the sense that it seems to start off as a YA book, about a girl, but then changes to a book about her father. Strangely enough, it actually works. In some ways, this is better than the Pern novels for all the characters seem fully developed, even the horses.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
McCaffrey, Anne
A ficition story by anne mccaffrey. The lady is a great novel of Ireland, and its people and how society has created a solution. Selina is a wife of an abusive husband and finds through friendship a protector and later a lover in a person who has just arrived in her area.
Jenna
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's always interesting for me to go back and read something by one of my favorite authors during her early years. Anne McCaffrey did not start out writing sci-fi/fantasy - and this book is an excellent example of what she did write. This early work focuses on an Irish family who breeds horses in 1970s Ireland. Not the most stunning work I've ever read, but fun for a rainy afternoon.
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Horseplay
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Dream Horse (Saddle Club Super Edition, #4)
  • In the Presence of Horses: A Novel
  • The Sword of Knowledge (Sword of Knowledge, #1-3)
  • Dragon Blade: The Book of the Rowan
  • The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West (Heavenly Horse, #1)
  • The Perfect Princess
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • Barn Blind
  • Nitter Pitter (Serendipity)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...