Start by marking “Return to the Hundred Acre Wood” as Want to Read:
Return to the Hundred Acre Wood

Return to the Hundred Acre Wood

It was eighty years ago, on the publication of The House at Pooh Corner, when Christopher Robin said good-bye to Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood. Now they are all back in new adventures, for the first time approved by the Trustees of the Pooh Properties. This is a companion volume that truly captures the style of A. A. Milne-a worthy sequel to The ...more
Published October 5th 2009 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Hundred Acre Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Hundred Acre Wood

SVG
Oct 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: juv
One day, some time ago, I heard the news
Benedictus is plotting some kind of a ruse!
New Winnie the Pooh? It simply can't be--
certainly no A.A. Milne was he!

As the day came round a bright blue book was bound,
with fanciful new tales covering old ground.
Mimicking a style Quite Unlike Any,
I braced for what could be a disappointment (or many).

But OH! the whimsy was there and abundant,
with characters shiny and new (not redundant).
How cheered and relieved I was to have met,
all the Hundred Acre Wood lot,
James
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Right from the title, this book got off on the wrong foot. If you want to follow Milne, then you should probably realize that Owl lives in the Hundred Acre Wood (or rather, did, before he lost his house and moved into Piglets, which is mentioned several times in this book as an attempt to reconnect readers with the original stories), and that everyone else lives in the Forest. The only person who could really return to the Hundred Acre Wood would be Owl, then, and he never does in this book.

Bene
Abigail
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't be honest with myself if I didn't give this 5 stars. Review to come.
Becky
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Winnie the Pooh, the books are full of charm and humour and so sweet. We held a WtP event at our library last weekend and when I was requesting books to promote it, I saw this listed and immediately requested it. i was curious what it would be like and whether it would live up to the original.
This book does carry a certain amount of charm, the illustrations are fabulous and really quite faithful to the original style. The writing was very close, at times it didn't quite read
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
One of the most beloved figures in children’s literature, Winnie-the-Pooh has delighted readers since his appearance in 1926. At the end of “The House at Pooh Corner,” A. A. Milne nostalgically writes, “But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.” Now this immortal line is finding its fulfillment, and the treasured inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Wood are back in David Benedictu ...more
Keith
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
So this was a Christmas gift and I read it Christmas night and cried myself to sleep because I miss my cat. Thanks Mom.

Four stars because giving five to a Pooh sequel not written by the Milne himself is sort of sacrilegious, but this book gets far more right than it does wrong. The tone is there without being forced -- occasionally the dialogue is perhaps a little more on-point than Milne ever was, but I'm really nitpicking there. A new character is introduced with sort of a dumb name, but the f
Malcolm
I think this was a brave effort. I was a bit suspicious of the idea of producing a sequel...how could the original books be improved and I was right: this isn't better but it is a good attempt. There are occasional glimpses of Milne's whimsy but at times the text is a bit too knowing for its own good. The illustrations are superb and there are moments that capture the original perfectly. The otter was an unnecessary edition but all in all a pleasant read that could well send me back to the origi ...more
David
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I have a fairly unique perspective on this book, as someone who wasn't all that familiar with Winnie the Pooh from my childhood and read Milne's books for the first time right before reading this, as a 27 year old. This is an admirable attempt at mimicking Milne's style that nonetheless misses the point. Every story in the originals had something to say and none of the characters were as one-dimensional as they are here. Milne had this way of using these characters and their quirks as a ...more
Jordan Reed
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book. It wasn't bad, and I commend Benedictus for taking on the task, but this just didn't live up to Milne. I don't supposed any book could.
Anna
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In many ways I enjoyed this more than the original. The illustrations are beautiful - I will definitely acquire a copy to keep on my physical bookcase.
Rae
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, ya-childrens
Though not actually A.A. Milne’s writing, this is the next best thing. I loved the fresh stories and Shepard-esque illustrations. Pooh Bear and his Friends are like Honey to my Soul.
Fox
This was an interesting attempt to recapture the magic of the A.A. Milne classics. I went into it with an open mind, but almost immediately couldn't help but be struck by the stark differences in the writing styles. David Benedictus nearly hits the mark from time to time in his writing, but more often makes the characters a bit too aggressive, or a bit too overbearing and the result is an odd sort of shadow of the original that never entirely hits the moralistic nearly philosophical stance of ...more
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I had trepidations about this novel, owing to the fact that it was not written by Milne. I read it as an adult and not as a child, unlike the other Pooh books. Allowing another author to write a tale about timeless and beloved characters is a massive demonstration of trust on the part of the Milne estate, and that trust was not ill-placed. Although I could almost always spot the difference in writing style, I think it was as close as a nostalgic Pooh fan could hope for. The more important aspect ...more
C.O. Bonham
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't know if it is because of my age now or if it's because of how long it has been since I read the original pooh books, but I didn't like this book as well as I remember liking the classic ones.

Part of it was definitely the new character that Benedictus brings in, Lottie the Otter. She is a bit annoying and steals page time from the more beloved characters.

Though I do have to say that as far as copying the style and voice of the classic books I think he hit pretty close to the mark.

Final w
Judy
Dec 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Well, Rabbit wasn't_______, and then Piglet didn't ___________, and then Eeyore couldn't _________, and then Pooh was somehow not _______, and Christopher Robin seemed ____________. I can't quite put it into words, but neither could Benedictus. What was missing? I think I know. And I've written a book about it. In order to replicate A. A. Milne's genius in the Pooh stories, you have to understand what he was up to. My book, "Winston Pooh: An Investigation into the Real Story behind the Stories" ...more
GraceAnne
I cannot really rate this. It makes a really heartfelt attempt to capture the spirit of Pooh, but it is a little too twee, a little too didactic, a little too, well, not to be too zen about it, a little too Not-Pooh. The illustrations likewise reflect the originals bravely.
I do have to say that I loathe the new character, Lottie the Otter, who sounds too much like a maiden aunt when she isn't sounding like Lucy Van Pelt of Peanuts. Oh, Bother.
Izzatur Rahmaniyah
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
It feels so nostalgic reading this book. I was back again to my childhood and had the adventures again with Christopher Robin and Pooh. Yet, this book also makes me sad. Pooh was longing for him desperately. When he was back Pooh was delighted. At the end they have to be separated again. The most sadful thing is the ending when Pooh walked together arm in arm with Piglet to the sunset.
Spigana
Vljeh.
This is definitely not Winnie-the-Pooh I love so much. Children might like this book, but it has lost all the magic, innocence and wit that made Winnie-the-Pooh favorite for many adults.
Chris Lilly
Very useful exercise to help a reader understand just how good, how subtle, how controlled A. A. Milne is. And this isn't. Resolutely unengaging. He should have written something, anything, else.
Brandi Davis
Nov 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very poor follow up. I think it would have been better if the author didn't try to write like A.A. Milne.
James Davis
Nov 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad
Very poor follow-up and very little of the charm of the original.
Tracy
Dec 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I wanted to enjoy it, really I did. It just wasn't Pooh. If I had not loved the originals so much perhaps it would have been all right.
Ellen Hamilton
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved A.A. Milne's work. I especially loved his mystery book, The Red House Mystery. And his work about the well-beloved characters from the Hundred Acre Wood cannot be passed up. So I definitely loved this too. I like to mix into my reading, a few books that are meant for children. It lightens my mood, cleans my palate (figuratively speaking), and is overall, a joyous pastime.
Aaron Kadkhodai
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A worthy revival of the characters of the Hundred Acre Wood. It is a fun set it of tales that do not quite hit or miss the mark, but give the reader a sense of the time and place of Pooh and Robin. Benedictus strives to match the style and pacing and does a fair job. The colorful illustrations carried the day for my young listener.
Nina (nina.macht.sachen)
As I really enjoyed the original Winnie-the-Pooh I decided to try this book. Sadly, it did not live up to my expectations. It is nowhere near the original work.
Also I feel like the author tried a little too hard to copy A.A. Milnes writing style and invented a new character that I didn't feel fit at all.
Can't really recommend this book after all.
Toni Kely-Brown
My daughter wanted us to re-read this after seeing the recent movie "Goodbye Christopher Robin". Whilst not written by A A Milne, this brought the gang back together one summer for new adventures. I felt the author captured A A Milne's style and it was lovely to read together.
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

Benedictus recaptures much of the charm — and certainly the narrative style — of A. A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh books. He also hasn’t been afraid to introduce a new character (Lottie the Otter). All that might be considered lacking is the original’s almost surreal absurdity.
Selah Pike
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Not as funny and charming as Milne's original book, but decent. Jim Dale's narration was wonderful, of course, although we were confused as to why Rabbit is Scottish (our theory is that it's because he's cross).
Janet Sketchley
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Heartwarming and gentle. A nice addition to the Winnie the Pooh world.
Mariah
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a wonderful addition to the collection of stories about Winnie the Pooh. It sounds just like Milne's stories, and I think it is worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Baboons Who Went This Way and That
  • Shadows in the Twilight (Joel Gustafsson, #2)
  • Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
David Benedictus is an English-Jewish writer and theatre director, best known for his novels. His most recent work is the Winnie-the-Pooh novel Return to the Hundred Acre Wood (2009). It was the first such book in 81 years.
He was educated at Eton College, Oxford and the University of Iowa. His second novel, You're a Big Boy Now, was made into a 1966 feature film directed by Francis Ford Coppola. H
“I wonder why things have to change,” 0 likes