Start by marking “Twee vrouwen” as Want to Read:
Twee vrouwen

Twee vrouwen

'Als je je altijd een dochter voelt, is er maar één manier om van je moeder af te komen, en dat is door zelf moeder te worden.'

In 1975 verraste Harry Mulisch zijn publiek met een ogenschijnlijk traditioneel vertelde roman over de liefde tussen een gescheiden kunsthistorica en een jong meisje. Maar Twee vrouwen vertoont ook parallellen met de Oedipus- en Orpheus-mythen en
Paperback, BB Literair, 156 pages
Published February 1976 by De Bezige Bij (first published October 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Twee vrouwen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twee vrouwen

Start your review of Twee vrouwen
Eline
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Harry Mulisch just really isn't my thing. Whether I'm not old enough yet to appreciate his work, or whether I never will at all, I can't tell you. I just know that I only turned the pages because I had to for school. Not one moment was it because I enjoyed it in the slightest
Indah
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-school
Mandatory school reading.
Read it this afternoon in one sitting to be done with it. Gosh that was so far fetched.
Plus can Mulish just stop wondering on why people don't realise that the sun goes from left to right in Australia or the other way around. He's made his point now (sort of)
caitlín
I'm not going to lie, I was very excited to read this novel, mainly because of the relationship between the two women. It was a nice enough book, very pleasant to read. I was expecting a bit more storyline for the progression of the relationship, as it was very 'insta love'. They moved in together on the first day of meeting??? Who on earth would do that?
This is the ultimate gay U-Haul story, fight me.

Anyways, here's some quotes:

"Om hen heen wandelen moeders
Hele-mai
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I did enjoy some parts of the book, the way the narrative shifted in time, some of the beautiful descriptions. What I did not enjoy were some of the missing points - the way the main character and her love subject meet for example, the story given in the book was more like "lets get over with it so we can continue with the story". Their lovestory seemed superficial and stereotypical, Sylvia seemed like any other stereotypical love interest - beautiful but in a weird way, definitely skinny, a li ...more
Dyan
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Just.. no.
Quentin Zero
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
read this while sick at home. storytelling was good and nice, gorgeous at times, but the characters were lesbian stereotypes so that was sad. 2,5 stars.
Lucy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still crying because of the ending?! Very good book though, lived up to my expectations for sure!
Iris van Krimpen
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, classic
Oh my... From the start I wasn't sure about this one. I enjoyed the beautiful sentences written by Harry Mulisch. The story was a bit vague in the beginning, as it sometimes tends to be in literature, but somehow it redeemed itself. I can't exactly pinpoint the place where I started to really appreciate this story in combination with the author's writing style, but by the end of it I was really impressed with it. This is only my second Harry Mulisch book I'm reading, but I'm definitely going to ...more
Darinka
This is my first Mulisch book and I like to not read the big ones from writers first. I couldn't stop reading this, I just wanted to keep on reading. I loved it but there was also something missing, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Sometimes, not discriminating, it the relationship of two women just wasn't reflected well and it shined through that it was written by a man. Not that he didn't write a wonderful love story, but you could just sense it a little bit. But it was a wonderful book, ...more
Maud
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
Got this book free in my Dutch Class and it was kinda interesting. The story is (like the title says) about two woman who start a relationship, break up, meet again and everything else that happens with them during that time and before. While one of the females tells you a lot about what happened the other stays more on the background while I kinda want to know more about her but I guess that it is what it is. Overall a nice little book, nothing special or super good, just nice.
Noah
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netherlands
What starts out as a relatively odd love story soon turns into drama. Mulisch play with the convention of greek tragedy where all female roles are played by men and heterosexual love often times is the disguise for homosexual love and where the quintessence of drama is the incopatibility between human and divine laws.
Persephone Abbott
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the first book of Mr. Mulisch that I have read, and I did enjoy his writing but not this nearly unmanageable, despite the reduced cast, story. The book's philosophical aspects reminded me a bit of Iris Murdoch however the style was much more theatrical and outward than reflective or inwards, and what surprised me was the sentimentality.
Gregory
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
It seems really creepy for a guy to write a story about "Two women", but there you go. It's the story of a woman whose husband leaves her, whereupon she decides to start a lesbian relationship with another woman half her age. Guess which one of them turns out to be in control of the situation? Now guess which one of them actually survives the story?
Anna
My first encounter with Dutch literature,the book did amaze me. The writing is amazing and it surprised me that a book this small could tell a story that intrigues me. Maybe literature isn't the perfect genre for me, because I was reading too fast and wasn't looking for the extra layers. Just consuming the story and not looking for metaphors. So that's why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
Azeza
The story didn't seem realistic to me. How could Laura accept this all so easily? Ow, you cheated on me and then came back with a baby for me? Doesn't anyone see how sick this is? Somethings was really wrong with Sylvia.
Rüveyda Soyupak
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Mulisch's writing style is a work of art. The story is controversial for the time it has been written, which adds its edge. Also, the discussion of the love between two women, or the love of a woman really, is outstanding.
Anna
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5, more tending towards the 2. I mean, the ending was okay, the story could've been good but the telling made it so boring and it was unrealistic. I just got bored every time I read it, only the last sentence was beautiful, the last page was nice. It was a bit... Hmwh. To say so.
Laurien
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written but the plottwists and the ending kind of makes me want to hate this book.
It only has around 150 pages and Mulisch's writing style turns it into a fun and quick read. Good option for dutch students who still have to read something for their literature list..
Sabine
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
☆2,5 stars☆
Wasn't good, wasn't bad. I didn't enjoy it, but for literature, it was readable.
Alison
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
liked everything except the anti-feminist plot twist at the end
Nicole
Jul 15, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-dutch, 2015
DNF (2015)
Kristel
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't really know what to think of the ending. The way the book was written wasn't really he way I like it, but the end really made it worse for me.
Amarins
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
6,5/10
not really interesting and I didn't like the (sad) open ending
Megan Terpstra
Jun 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Read this for my literature list. It's very unrealistic, Mulisch's writing style consists of sentences that I personally find way too long and unclear, and this specific book seems kind of... homophobic to me. Maybe that's on me for reading a book about a w/w relationship written by a man in the 20th century.
Roanne Gregory
Read for school.
Freya Marie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt from the start that there couldn't be a happy ending but I kept hoping. This is such a good book, so well written, so insightful, so truthful, so painful.
Angelique Hermans
Marjolein Zwama
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely book that will amaze you most when you understand the literary references to Greek lore and plays. The book in itself doesn't seem very noteworthy at all, but once you dive into the underlying story (metaphors, Greek characters and its relationships), there's a lot to wonder about. Melancholic, sweet and devastating.
Quinn
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was th first book I ever read in Dutch and so, of course, I may imagine it better than it is. I've never read an English translation, so I can't be sure whether or not I am overrating it.

That said, I loved the character of Laura and the interplay between her husband and the girl she loves has the feel to me of Greek tragedy. Love and hate twists inside them in a way that ruins the lives of all the main characters, and yet there is an inevitability to it that makes me feel, as wi
Maartje de Bruin
It's not my favorite book. Not my favorite genre. Not anything that's like YES to me. But I still read it two or three times over the years. It's quick, and just good.

And I'm not a book re-reader at all!
I haven't even completed my favorite series ever twice.

Maybe I just reread this because its so small. Apperantly small is not a bad thing in this case.
Goodreads Librari...: Typo ISBN 10 23 Apr 16, 2016 05:56AM

• Nooit meer slapen
  • Joe Speedboot
  • De kleine blonde dood
  • De stille kracht
  • Knielen op een bed violen
  • Een vlucht regenwulpen
  • Max Havelaar, or the Coffee Auctions of the Dutch Trading Company
  • De avonden
  • The Twins
  • Blauwe maandagen
Harry Kurt Victor Mulisch along with W.F. Hermans and Gerard Reve, is considered one of the "Great Three" of Dutch postwar literature. He has written novels, plays, essays, poems, and philosophical reflections.
Mulisch was born in Haarlem and lived in Amsterdam since 1958, following the death of his father in 1957. Mulisch's father was from Austria-Hungary and emigrated to the Netherlands aft
“Ieder mens heeft geloof ik het gevoel, dat hij er eigenlijk niet bijhoort, bij het leven van de andere mensen. Dat hij op een of andere manier iets anders is, een gast, en hij doet alle mogelijke moeite om te zorgen, dat de anderen dat niet zullen merken. Dat is het gevoel, dat alle mensen gemeen hebben, en daardoor horen ze juist bij elkaar.” 35 likes
“Alles waar je je wil en je aandacht op richt, wordt onzichtbaar, onbereikbaar, dat is tenminste mijn ervaring. Je ziet de dingen pas werkelijk uit je ooghoeken, als je eigenlijk ergens anders mee bezig bent. Het is net of de werkelijkheid zich dan gepasseerd voelt, het niet neemt en zich aan je opdringt.” 14 likes