Start by marking “The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)

The Way Between the Worlds

(The View from the Mirror #4)

In the conclusion to this series, Karan, the young Sensitive who holds the Mirror of Aachen, which has the power to heal or permanently destroy the rift between Worlds, is held captive. Her lover, Llian, is in chains, falsely accused of betraying her. With the dark moon rising, the Charon Rulke is unstoppable as he prepares to open the Way between the Worlds.
Paperback, First US edition, 736 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Way Between the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Between the Worlds

Mark
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mine
This is a difficult one for me. I definitely enjoyed the plot, the characters and to a certain extend, the conclusion. I think what keeps me from rating this set higher than 3 stars was the writing style. This is a very personal thing (I find Tolkien a hard read for the same reason, so he's in good company), but I just didn't fall in love with the way he told the story.

His descriptions were sometimes quite extraordinary and I found myself so astonished at his choice of phrase that I found it det
Misha
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Said simply: I really enjoyed the book. The ending wasn't a 'everyone lives happily ever after', which was a very big surprise. It was very sad and made me think about how all the events tied in - not giving too much away, the book is covered in decisions upon decisions of the numerous characters, and the way everything ties into each other at the end is incredible.
It made me question what was right, what was wrong, who was evil, who was good. There is no 'bad side' and 'good side', where the go
Elar
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A whole series has been full of great story telling as books are filled with magic, deception, court intrigue and adventures. Main downside is that some characters are little bit too naive and there are lots of strange names to remember.
Cindy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite book of the series. I still found some characters frustrating and self centered, but I still enjoyed it.
Caitlin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The pacing issues and relatively thin plot in the prior volume, Dark is the Moon, put me off reading The Way Between the Worlds for almost two years. At one point, I was considering leaving the series unfinished, but I am a completionist and that just wouldn't do.

And as it turns out, I liked this book. Irvine pulls together an incredible number of plot threads and manages to bring them to a resolution that satisfactorily answered all my questions. This may sound like damning with faint praise,
Cassy
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Barbara
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finally - I'm exhausted! What a read. On the other had, I did not want it to end. I haven't read any books that have kept me as engrossed as The View from the Mirror quartet for a long time. I recommend this series of books whole-heartedly. I don't know anything about writing book reviews, all I know is what I like. I never would have thought that I would have bought books in this category - but I'm glad I did. I will certainly be reading more of Ian Irvine's books
Adrian G.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What am I supposed to say?

They, the readers of the world talk about how hangovers, and books that insinuate themselves in you, and change you.

I finished this series years after I started it. I'm 30ish, and have a bit of the jadedness that comes with the age in homo sapien, where in an arrogant maliese they believe they have a general idea of how all things flow, and there is nothing new under their eyes, and that new things are to be feared and hated.

I don't think anyone could agree with me on
Alan
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Boy, these books took a long time to read! This final instalment tied up all the Greek tragedy storylines, everyone got their just deserts. The View from the Mirror quartet is an ambitious undertaking, it imagines unique races with long histories and lots of debts to repay. Having read the Well of the Worlds series first, it feels like Irvine recycles a lot of his characters under different names. The characters never seem quite real to me, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the novels.
Justin Dickerson
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series got better as it went along.
Chris
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I'm disappointed that this series didn't live up to my memories of it. It was far too long and flawed, but I did enjoy revisiting one of my childhood memories.
Angelika Belko
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I really hoped that I would give this book a higher rating, as it is a series conclusion, but no, this was as much average as the rest. I am surprised I read all four books. I gave it three stars only because I appreciated the worldbuilding. However action and the relationships of the characters are not the strong side of this series. Honestly it was quite boring and that is why I am not gonna read anything from this author for a long long time. Maybe in a distant future, sorry Mr Irvine...
S. Lynham
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this series which was different from the usual "Lord of the Rings" fantasy novel and would highly recommend it to lovers of fantasy literature...there is a bit of sci-fi to this tale of various human species stuck on one world, some of whom wish to return to their own. The machinations of the 2 groups who want to return to their home worlds are sometimes hilarious despite the fact that I doubt they were meant to be. But Irving does write a bit "tongue in cheek" so perhaps they we ...more
Doris
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A very good ending to a good series. Mostly a happy ending though, which I wasn't expecting seeing as I accidentally read the second series set in the same world (the Geomancer series) first.

So why only four stars? Because I missed... that intangible something, a bit of subtlety, a bit of empathy, a bit of eloquence. You could say that it's my bias as a female reader against a male author but I don't think so, there are plenty of male authors who absolutely master the "impersonal personal touch"
Christine
The series is finally over- and I am rather unsure as how to rate the overall experience.

Throughout most of the series, I felt like there was way too much going on, and it felt the same through this book. Most of these books probably could have been shortened by 200 pages, and reduced some of the lengthy plot and backstory in order to make it feel less like swimming through mud.

The ending of this book was rather shocking- usually I enjoy a different, rather sad ending, but in a way it also felt
Iben
This book concludes the tale of Karan, Llian, the Mirror and all who have been swept up by the events. And what a series it has been, friends and enemies, love and betrayal, survival and death. The imagination of Ian Irvine is really a thing to celebrate.

The plotling has throughout the whole series been original and ever changing, this has not changed. The reader can be sure of nothing until those two amazing words "The End" stops it all. Until then everything is in flux and the unsuspecting rea
Kayla Quay
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love the way Ian Irvine manages to plan his twists from the beginning of the series, sort of the way J.K Rowling does, but Irvine is a much more convincing and talented author.

I also love how it's not happily ever after for everyone, that the story manages to have a streak or realism in the fantasy based novel.

Peace out!
Victoria Young
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A entertaining, satisfying resolution to the epic View from the Mirror series. I particularly liked that this novel had a lot of focus on creating shades of grey in the morality of the protagonists and antagonists. Some of the character development was a bit on the predictable side, but there is definitely more interest in this plot than your average good vs. evil fantasy.
Maria
Jul 28, 2011 added it
This series is a worthwhile addition to any fantasy collection. Loved the absence of gender bias, and thought that the development of the worlds was intriguing. However, by the fourth book, I found the narrative had palled. Maybe I should not have read the books one after the other...
Miss Laney Us
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
What an exciting end to the Way of the Worlds!! I wait in anticipation for the next instalment. Excellent read with rich characters, some you even want to hate and yet you can't. Strong heroines too. I have already recommended to others
Connie53
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Dit laatste deel van de serie is te veel van hetzelfde om nog spannend en vernieuwend te zijn. Een 6 is niet meer dan ik kan geven. Wel een beetje jammer, maar ik wilde wel weten hoe het nu af zou lopen met Karan en Llian. Weer een serie van de TBR-lijst af.
Zaryna
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This books redeemed the rest of the series. I loved every bit of it and the ending was magnificent. I will read Irvine's other books in the Tale of the Three Worlds cycle. He definitely knows how to make you fall in love with the characters and nailed the perfect ending to a perfect series.
Kristi
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The series finished with a bang! My favorite apart about the end is that there is no fairy-tale ending. Life goes on, but not everyone lives and not every is happy. It's very real.
Mike
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good end to the series. All questions were answered. Characters continued to evolve. Everyone got what they deserved.
N. Davis
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A perfect ending to such a fantastic series! I would re-read these books.
Giselle Biviano
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Awesome book!!!
it connected really well with the rest of the books
well written
happy ending (whcih I really like)
Vanlangendonck Tim
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Happy this book was finished. The story really went a bit lost on me. Lots of the same topics plus a rhythym that doesn't appeal to me.
Michelle
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this one the most of the 4. He ties everything up nicely, and I was having trouble putting it down towards the end.
David Melbie
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Jeannie Yarbrough
Yes! This was a fantastic work! I really enjoyed the whole mythology Irvine created -- really awesome stuff. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Chrys Matthews
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Extremely well worth reading with plenty of unusual twists and turns. The ending is definitely well worth reading and not what I thought it would be.
  • Destiny (Trinity, #3)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons, #3)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • Lessek's Key: The Eldarn Sequence Book 2
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
  • The Dark Moon: The Guardian Cycle (The Guardian Cycle, #1)
  • When We Have Wings
  • Love and Romanpunk
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)
I'm an Australian author of 32 novels, mainly fantasy. They include the bestselling Three Worlds epic fantasy sequence, which has sold over a million print copies. It comprises The View from the Mirror quartet, The Well of Echoes quartet and The Song of the Tears trilogy. I’m currently writing The Gates of Good and Evil, the long-awaited sequel to The View from the Mirror. Book 2, The Fatal Gate, ...more

The View from the Mirror (4 books)
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)