Start by marking “Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

Komarr

(Vorkosigan Saga (Publication Order) #11)

Komarr could be a garden with a thousand more years' work, or an uninhabitable wasteland if the terraforming fails. Now, the solar mirror vital to the terraforming of the conquered planet has been shattered by a ship hurtling off course. The Emperor of Barrayar sends his newest imperial auditor, Lord Miles Vorkosigan, to find out why. The choice is not a popular one on ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Baen (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Komarr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Komarr

Start your review of Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)
Evgeny
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
A buddy read with Choko and Maria.

My biggest and constant complaint about the series is its predictability. Let me demonstrate it on this example. The previous book left Miles being a junior guy in a very important job. His seniors mentioned junior guys get the most troublesome job in the most troublesome place. What would be the most troublesome place for Miles in the whole Empire? Planet Komarr where people believe his father was responsible for a grand massacre and regarded Miles accordingly.
Choko
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
*** 4.35 ***

A buddy read with Evgeny and Maria, because we cannot stop the Forward Momentum!!!

"...All the geniuses I ever met were so just part of the time. To qualify, you only have to be great once, you know. Once when it matters. ..."

Once again I am going to sound like a fan-girl, but I can't help it! This series has stolen my heart. I know I have several series of books which I love and are a must read for me, but most of them are more because the story lines are not finished, and the
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, barrayar
Buddy read with Choko and Evgeny.

I started writing this review yesterday and then RL happened. Let's hope that nothing will interrupt me this time :)

From the very start of the series the planet Komarr has played an important but kind of behind the scenes role in Vorkosigan's lives. And I always wanted to visit it. Mostly because terraforming fascinates me. It's very difficult to write a good book set on a terraformed planet because it's either used as a convenient plot device and the science is
Jane
3.5 stars rounded up.

Too much mushy-gush. Not enough action.

Otherwise a typical Miles adventure.

Badass Female Character score: 4/5 -- Ekaterin starts out a bit wishy-washy, but she's got some real Vor strength when push comes to shove.
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so Ive decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my GIFTS AND GUILTY list.

Regardless of how many books are already queued patiently on my reading list, unexpected gifts and guilt-trips will always see unplanned additions muscling their way in at the front.

If youve never read any of Bujolds Vorkosigan Saga
Becky
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Is Komarr nice? It doesn't sound nice. How can a book about the son of the Butcher of Komarr being on Komarr be nice?" - literally me to my roommates before starting this book. Read that in a voice full of hurting doubt and the hopeless desire for something, not less painful, but perhaps more accessible. One grows tired of leaning back and watching Miles pull miracles out of his ass, you know. As enjoyable as that is.

This is the fastest I've ever gone through a Bujold book. I was LOATH to turn
Justine
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-read
Reliably good, as expected. I'm still completely annoyed with my library for downgrading our Hoopla subscription so none of the rest of the series will be available for me to listen to on audio. It's a shame because these books seem particularly good to me as audiobooks; I've enjoyed them all so much.
Becky
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't even care about the mystery here, I was so caught up in the romance. I love how Bujold always delivers with her characters. Often I can't remember what happened in her books, but I never forget the people or their relationships. This time we get to meet the love of Miles' life and I like her, I really do. I can't wait to see how this develops in later books.
Megan Baxter
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a pivotal book that I missed on my first patchy run at this series. The library didn't have it, but it did the next one, so I came to read this with some idea of what happened in Komarr, but not when. Which ended up being important. And it may be superfluous to say about a Lois McMaster Bujold book at this point, but I liked this a lot.

In
Jon
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Series Selection March 2010
I connected deeply with the character Ekaterin. Her predicament broke my heart at times. Miles' heart melted as well.

Komarr takes place just three months after Memory. Miles acquires an Auditor Mentor in Ekaterin's uncle Vorthys. Both Imperial Auditors arrive at Komarr to investigate a tragic and seemingly inexplicable near space accident involving an ore freighter and the Komarran solar mirror array. Each Auditor brought a different perspective and expertise to the investigation. Vorthys'
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The wormhole plot was very interesting and satisfying, as was the full worldbuilding of Komarr itself, but what really shone brightest in the novel was Miles's falling in love with a married woman. I knew from a previous readings how important she'd become, but my goodness this was painful to watch. Delightful, absolutely, but also very painful. It was strangely believable and full of depth and realism, greatly surpassing all of his other love interests, and it really brought out the shine in ...more
André
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
"MINIONS. MINIONS ARE MY FAVOURITE THING." -Miles, all the time, forever.

"So, uh, guess I'll see you around maybe. Or not. Hey, here's a binder I made for you with every one of my six house addresses and fifteen phone numbers as well as the addresses and numbers of every person I know in case all my numbers aren't working and you need to talk to me oh, and if none of those work either here's the address for the Emperor of Barrayar because he should probably know where I am sooo...yeah, call me.
Jim
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing that such a long running series can keep such momentum, even get better. I'd rate this book about the same as the last, except we're introduced to a new character that I have great hopes for. It's a twisty mystery with a lot to say, as usual. We get to see Miles played off against other characters - especially one - that makes for a great story & really brings home a lot of the lessons he's learned. Good ones, too.
Stuart
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Komarr: Miles the Imperial Auditor Falls in Love
This is probably the eighth or ninth Miles Vorkosigan novel I've listened to this year as I work my way chronologically through the series. I'm now well past the first 3-4 I read back in high school ages ago, and I can increasingly appreciate the different story arcs and overall development of Miles and the other major characters over time. Ms. Bujold has enjoyed phenomenal success with this series and an incredibly loyal fanbase thanks to her
Trike
The Miles train keeps on chugging. I really enjoyed this one, with the slight exception that the potential new girlfriends life circumstances worked out a little too pat. But really Im not reading this for the high drama, just the fun adventure. This time Team Vorkosigan averts the destruction of the nascent Barryan empire, so that was cool. ...more
Hannah
4.5 stars.

Komarr was my second expedition into Lois McMaster Bujold's "Vorkosiverse" (my first was Shards of Honour), and my first introduction to Miles Vorkosigan. I have to admit that I didn't like this novel as much as Shards of Honour, but it had nothing to do with Miles. Miles was as wonderful as I hoped he would be. No, it was certain elements of the plot, and certain reservations about the heroine, that knocked a half-star off my rating of this otherwise brilliant novel.

I like to call
Katie
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A BUNCH OF DORKS
Kathleen
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this romantic suspense set on planet Komarr, across the galaxy.

Eketarin Vorsoisson, Vor to the core, kicks asparagus, and not only that, she's tall, brunette, and coolly reserved, until her son is threatened. Miles is crazy about this fascinating widow, but she's done with men, after ten years with Tien the Twit.
"My goodness. You've met with an accident."

"It wasn't us. It was her. The bitch from hell. Or Barrayar, which is almost the same..."

Miles's eyes widened, and his lips
Cecily
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
June 2018: It's a comfort reread, everyone! Once I start, I CANNOT stop. This book is SO GOOD. My review below still stands. I mean seriously. This is one of my comfort rereads from this series now, along with Memory and Civil Campaign. And Vorpatril. And...Yeah never mind....

2015: I've started a wild and wacky Vorkosigan reread....backwards. It started with picking up A Civil Campaign as I often do, just to read my favorite parts (which is practically the entire book.) The events in Komarr fall
Lindsay
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Part of a Vorkosigan reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2017/18. I have long thought of this book as a prologue to the romantic comedy of A Civil Campaign, and as such, I've not revisited it since my first reading even though I've reread A Civil Campaign multiple times. I found myself unexpectedly enjoying it for multiple reasons, partly because I misremembered it as ending with Ekaterin discovering Miles and Tien at the Waste Heat experiment station, and partly because I'd forgotten ...more
Tracy
I wrote a great, long (for me) review about this book. Trust me. My iPad battery went dead when I was almost finished and I lost it. Damn. Now I'm disgruntled and I have housework to do.

Just trust me this is a great book. One of the best in the series. Miles solves another mystery and finds the woman of his dreams (finally). Sadly no Cordelia or Ivan in this one but Ekaterin more than makes up for it. Her Uncle and Aunt Vorthys are also delightful.

As an aside Jo Walton wrote a terrific balanced
Stephen
4.5 Stars. Another great installment of one of the best SF series of the past 15 years. Not quite as good as some of the earlier installments, but the quality level is still very high. Recommended!!!
Lilia Ford
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5

This is quite different from any of the other books in the series: the picture of a failing marriage is bleak and uncompromising and utterly realistic. It verges on depressing but the character work is truly impressive. This really is Ekaterin's story, however, and there's not too much development for Miles. (view spoiler)
Jennie
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
So good. I loved getting to see Miles through someone else's eyes. This one alternates perspectives between Ekaterin and Miles. Ekaterin is awesome. I was so worried about whether or not I'd like her because I haven't loved any of Miles' other love interests. I shouldn't have worried. Bujold is a sorceress. I loved watching Miles fall for her (He falls in love fast and hard. I love Miles.). The last 40 pages or so were so much fun. The climactic scene, Ekaterin's reaction to being "rescued", the ...more
Joanka
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful come back to the Vorkosigan saga it was! I loved the new character, Ekaterin and she touched me deeply on many levels. The plot was interesting enough so as to make a nice background, additionally showing some more of the whole Bujold universe and I admire her world a lot. But, as usually, what I loved the most was the psyhological portrait of the main characters, with all their flaws, vices, shortcomings and wonderful virtues. It's so easy to get engaged in Bujold's ...more
Suz
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, scifi, space_opera
I liked this one the best yet. I am shippin' Miles & Ekaterina.

I love this character.
Naiya
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely plan to reread this. I love Bujold's books. Nuff said.
Teleseparatist
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Time for vague and random disjointed thoughts.

This was an excellent, compelling novel that deftly combines several genres and plotlines. It introduces a great new character and makes her imminently interesting and complex.

When I was almost done with this book, I read Jo Walton's interview with Lois McMaster Bujold. When I got to the part where she says she got divorced at some point before this book was published, I nodded. This felt very much like a mature novel written by a divorced woman.
Carrie
SOA Listening Challenge: Spread Your Listening-- paranormal/fantasy/SF 4/4
SFR Reading Challenge 2012 5/15

Grade A+

A 5 star review with no hesitation or caveats. Even though I've only listened to Shards of Honour and am just now reading the first actual Miles book, The Warrior's Apprentice, I never felt lost during this story. (I do think I missed a few inside jokes, though.) I plan to go back and read the entire series now.

The writing, the story, the humor, the characters--all pitch perfect. And
John Carter McKnight
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found Komarr a difficult and unsatisfying read when it came out 15 years ago, but coming back to it much older, I not only thoroughly enjoyed it, but found it one of the best SF novels of STS/technology and society/hard SF engineering mystery out there.

The sections of Tien's emotional abuse of his wife Ekaterin are every bit as painful as ever, and definitely should have a trigger warning. But the mystery plot is just brilliant, as the failure of a geoengineering megastructure leads down and
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Komarr [Aug 6, 2018] 14 32 Nov 07, 2018 07:08PM
Play Book Tag: Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold - 4 stars 1 10 Sep 29, 2018 08:27AM

• Irresistible Forces
  • Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy, #2)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Down Among the Dead (The Farian War #2)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation, #2)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Aloha Boy (Cape High Series Book 26)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • In the Company of Others
  • Precious Little Things
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication Order) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)