Start by marking “Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be” as Want to Read:

Winner of Mom's Choice Award in Pregnancy/Childbirth Category

Every pregnant woman understands that what she eats and drinks affects the baby developing within her. Yet as a mother-to-be, you're likely juggling so much that you simply don't have the time-or energy!-to ensure that you're always eating right. That's where this fully updated edition of the pregnancy classic co
Published June 9th 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eating for Pregnancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating for Pregnancy

Start your review of Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be
Christina
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the things that sets this book apart from other pregnancy nutrition books is that it's not only a great general guide for nutrition during pregnancy, but it actually includes specific recipes to utilize the nutritional suggestions. I love that it lists specific optimal foods for each month so it's easy to scroll the the list and pick and choose what sounds good. Sometimes during pregnancy it's nice to have something taken off our decision-making to-do list -- and this book greatly helps w ...more
Tina Evans
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today’s Mothers-to-be is filled with delicious recipes designed for the pregnant woman and her baby/babies.
The introduction chapter is filled with so much helpful information about nutrition; explanations of the fat groups, folic acids, and vitamins essential to a healthy mother and baby. It also has weight charts for average weight gain, including twins and sample menu ideas. The staple pantry suggestions give readers an idea
Virginia
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We've been cooking a lot from this book during the pregnancy. The recipes are okay to good, but I value this book for the nutritional information, the healthy snack and pantry item lists, and the shopping lists for key ingredients in products that I wouldn't be able to identify in the stores. For example, being anemic due to fibroids,I need extra iron and folic acid. While many foods, such as cereals, showcase their iron content, they don't provide percentages for folic acid. This book can reall ...more
Anittah
Weird that in the intro they sing the praises of ingredients such as blackstrap molasses but then include recipes that fail to swap out refined sugar for blackstrap molasses.
Meranda Semeniuk-Wappel
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an informative book! Easy recipes to help you when you are feeling tired and a lot of information on what to do to keep you and your baby healthy. The fact that this book has month by month stuff, lets you know what your body is going through to create life and to create a change.
Tiffany
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition guide and cookbook is a wonderful tool for all women, especially pregnant women. Whether you know a lot or know nothing about healthy eating for mommy and baby, this book has something for everyone. The cookbook is not only full of delicious recipes (who says you have to be pregnant to make them?!), but also very helpful information on foods the baby needs and that your body needs to help sustain the pregnancy and keep you healthy. Along with these d ...more
Kathie
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Jones and Rose Ann Hudson are a winning combination.

"Eating For Pregnancy" is the "how to" with easy, NUTRITIOUS, and delicious ideas and recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. As a practitioner of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine, I specialize in female fertility and Women's health. Nutrition is emphasized with all of my patients and I treat many, many women in the course of their pregnancy. The importance of eating whole foods can't be emphasized enough--for mother
Angela Simmons
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
“Eating for Pregnancy, the Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today’s Mother’s-to-Be”, is truly a book that every woman should own. With advice ranging from before conception until after you have had your child, Catherine Jones and Rose Anne Hudson, RD, LD, offer practical, sound advice for today’s mothers. “Eating for Pregnancy”, is more than just a cookbook it’s a complete guide on how to obtain the nutriantes that you and your baby need that offers advice and helpfully hints along th ...more
Melissa
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Our Thoughts:

Everything this book says it’s going to do, it does. It has some delicious, and as importantly, easy recipes. Yet besides telling you what to and what not to eat, it gives you solid advice on how to order food when away from home. The back section even has a mini area on safe exercises to do during pregnancy. This is a great book even for those not pregnant and looking to begin healthy eating.

I would have liked to see some color pictures of the recipes that were given. Knowing that
Kat
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best and most in-depth book I've found so far that deals specifically with pregnancy nutrition, with tons of advice, recipes, and nutritional values for a wide variety of foods. There is even a thorough chapter about vegetarian and vegan pregancy, which is exactly what I've been looking for as I work to further balance my diet in preparation for pregnancy. Vegetarian and vegan pregnancy is not glossed over quickly as it is in most other pregnancy books ("ehh, maybe OK but check with ...more
Tara
The nutrition information seems solid. I especially like the section about "healthy snacks to have on hand". I've only made one recipe so far - the lentil, brown rice and mushroom pilaf. I think the recipe was fine, but I quickly discovered that my still sensitive stomach and sense of smell were not quite ready for a lentil and mushroom casserole. Next time I will try something a little more bland :)
Breon Randon
The beginning of the book was a bit overwhelming with very specific nutritional stats such as grams of protein required per day and such (I found myself freaking out that there was no way I would ever be able to eat that specific a combo of nutrients, and was probably starving my baby inuntero lol) but as the book went on the recipe and exercise portion was pretty helpful. Some things were actually pretty yummy!
Sara
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pregnant or not this is a great book of recipes. I loved that all the nutritional info was included and that each recipe stated what was beneficial about it. It also gives a lot of nutritional information as to how to eat when pregnant, how many extra calories to consume and different options for vegans and vegetarians. Great book over all and I highly recommend it.
Jaimee
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource for healthy meals during and after pregnancy. She not only details the nutrition information, but also gives suggestions for side dishes to make each meal complete. Also included are lists of items to have in your pantry, health information, and tips for dealing with morning sickness.
Rachel
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very well done book on nutrition, cooking and exercise for pregnant women, though those thinking about getting pregnant or women who just want to stay healthy could also use it. Loved the recipes, though wish there were photos of the food. I also like the tips and hints it gave about things like how to deal with morning sickness, drinking more water and other side effects of pregnancy.
Rachael
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this cookbook. I like the recipes that I've tried and I like how they tell you the nutritional info. I always feel like I've being really healthy when I eat the recipes :^) Over all, a good cookbook to have period; pregnant or not. I didn't give it 5 stars because the recipes don't knock my socks off or anything, but it is a good resource to have for healthy cooking for sure.
i liked the discussion on nutrients your body needs while pregnant, i.e. what you should be supplementing, etc. but, if you already eat pretty healthily then i think this book and the recipes are a bit basic.
Melinda
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This was my favorite cookbook while pregnant. I think I ate the beef and broccoli dish at least once per week. My husband and I continue to use these recipes post-pregnancy, and I assume we will for years to come!
Heather Clark
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pregnancy
This one just didn't do it for me - I got the same information from other books.
Candi
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is mostly a cookbook. I guess I didn't realize that when I bought it. I did learn a few things, though! And can't wait to try out some of the yummy recipes.
Erica
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great recipes. Didn't care for the Asian noodle salad though. Too bland. But the quesadillas and banana nut muffins are awesome!
Shawna
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Delicious recipes and meal ideas! Each recipe is complete with which vitamins are most prevalent in that recipe and how it's good for your growing baby.
Jenniecarter1
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best cookbook I own!
Jenn
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not pregnant and stumbled upon this while checking in books. It's actually got some great recipes!
Stephanie
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Easy read, great ideas, doable recipes
Nina
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great and in-depth nutrition guide for the time when you clearly need to pay attention to what you eat.Very easy and tasty recipes.
Jamie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has healthy, EASY recipes. Which is just what I need all the time. You don't need to be eating for two to get into this book.
Jenn
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
updated version of a previous cookbook. loved it even tho I'm not with child!
Jun 19, 2008
Monica
rated it it was ok
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • Playback (Philip Marlowe, #7)
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • The Little Sister (Philip Marlowe, #5)
  • Turkish Table
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • The Unwinding of the Miracle: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After
  • Real Food for Pregnancy: The Science and Wisdom of Optimal Prenatal Nutrition
  • Heart to Beat: A Cardiac Surgeon's Inspiring Story of Success and Overcoming Adversity--The Heart Way
  • MARTHA
  • The Other Americans
  • Kalıtım ve Evrim
  • Darkest Betrayals
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Grace in Mombas
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
CATHERINE JONES
Celebrating 16 years of Eating for Pregnancy with a new third edition. Yeah!!! It's the most comprehensive pregnancy nutrition guide, completely revised to cover baby's development and mom's health month by month. With Rose Ann Hudson, RD LD, we've created 150 family-friendly recipes will see you through 9 months and beyond. Catherine’s commitment to health started in 2003 with the