Jump to ratings and reviews

Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be

Winner of Mom's Choice Award in Pregnancy/Childbirth Category

Every pregnant woman understands that what she eats and drinks affects the baby developing within her. Yet as a mother-to-be, you're likely juggling so much that you simply don't have the time-or energy!-to ensure that you're always eating right. That's where this fully updated edition of the pregnancy classic comes in, making it easy to fulfill the needs of you and your baby. Eating for Pregnancy will provide you with all you need to know about nutrition before, during, and after pregnancy.

Here are 150 nutrient-rich recipes, more than 30 new to this edition, designed with you and your family in mind. Each highlights "What's in this for baby and me?" and provides handy nutritional breakdowns and meal-planning advice. You'll also find:

Tips to help you minimize unnecessary weight gain and keep your nutrient intake high
Fresh, fast, family-friendly recipes with realistic menu plans
The most up-to-date information on supplements, sources, environmental concerns, and high-risk pregnancies
An expanded vegetarian section-now with vegan recipes
Helpful information for diabetics, including ADA exchanges, recipe tips, and dining-out strategies
A unique Nine-Months-Later section, covering breastfeeding, postpartum depression, and weight loss after pregnancy-with illustrated exercises

496 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2003

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Catherine Cheremeteff Jones

7 books16 followers
CATHERINE JONES
Celebrating 16 years of Eating for Pregnancy with a new third edition. Yeah!!! It's the most comprehensive pregnancy nutrition guide, completely revised to cover baby's development and mom's health month by month. With Rose Ann Hudson, RD LD, we've created 150 family-friendly recipes will see you through 9 months and beyond. Catherine’s commitment to health started in 2003 with the first edition of Eating for Pregnancy, winner of the Mom’s Choice Award. Her other award-winning books include: The Calories In Calories Out Cookbook, Eating for Lower Cholesterol: A Balanced Approach to Heart Health with Recipes Everyone Will Love, and A Year of Russian Feasts.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews
5 reviews
September 27, 2019
One of the things that sets this book apart from other pregnancy nutrition books is that it's not only a great general guide for nutrition during pregnancy, but it actually includes specific recipes to utilize the nutritional suggestions. I love that it lists specific optimal foods for each month so it's easy to scroll the the list and pick and choose what sounds good. Sometimes during pregnancy it's nice to have something taken off our decision-making to-do list -- and this book greatly helps with deciding what to eat each day, month by month.
9 reviews
October 15, 2009
Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today’s Mothers-to-be is filled with delicious recipes designed for the pregnant woman and her baby/babies.
The introduction chapter is filled with so much helpful information about nutrition; explanations of the fat groups, folic acids, and vitamins essential to a healthy mother and baby. It also has weight charts for average weight gain, including twins and sample menu ideas. The staple pantry suggestions give readers an idea of what is best for their bodies and what the healthier options are.

The recipes are easy, taste great and, with the Vegan & Vegetarian section included, cater for all dietary requirements.
I made the French Toast Banana Sandwiches one morning and my children ate it all before I got to it. A lot of the recipes can easily be made for the whole family to enjoy a healthy meal together. My children also enjoyed the Vegetarian Lasagne and the Spinach Cheese Quiche.

I tool the Beef with Broccoli and Walnut Spice Coffee cake to a baby shower recently and have since had numerous requests to borrow this amazing book.
The warnings of bacteria and diseases found in unprepared or incorrectly stored food were an eye opener to say the least. Also the food-handling guide was incredibly beneficial.

The Nine Months Later section I found particularly informative with the fitness tips, work out plans and routines. It included physical warning signs that it’s time to stop exercising.
I had problems with breastfeeding my children and found lots of helpful hints in the section on breastfeeding nutrition.
I also welcomed the addition of the Postpartum Depression chapter. With signals and signs of the depression and dietary and exercise designed to help it was a massive help to a friend of mine.

Some common questions were answered in a short Q & A section. A couple of calorie counted sample menus added helps so much with meal planning and shopping for nutritious and healthy, tasty food.

International conversion charts were a blessing for me as I am in Australia, and the websites included for further reading were full of helpful advice.
Food safety and storage charts came in handy, I hope to never find off food again. The index at the back is clear and makes it extremely easy to find a recipe or advice on a certain subject.
I would highly recommend this book for the pregnant, just had a baby or those trying to conceive. It is also very useful to anyone wanting to live healthily.
Profile Image for Virginia.
252 reviews30 followers
June 7, 2014
We've been cooking a lot from this book during the pregnancy. The recipes are okay to good, but I value this book for the nutritional information, the healthy snack and pantry item lists, and the shopping lists for key ingredients in products that I wouldn't be able to identify in the stores. For example, being anemic due to fibroids,I need extra iron and folic acid. While many foods, such as cereals, showcase their iron content, they don't provide percentages for folic acid. This book can really help with identifying key products and foods for particular health issues.
Profile Image for Nita.
250 reviews51 followers
February 18, 2013
Weird that in the intro they sing the praises of ingredients such as blackstrap molasses but then include recipes that fail to swap out refined sugar for blackstrap molasses.
August 28, 2019
Such an informative book! Easy recipes to help you when you are feeling tired and a lot of information on what to do to keep you and your baby healthy. The fact that this book has month by month stuff, lets you know what your body is going through to create life and to create a change.
Profile Image for Tiffany.
160 reviews18 followers
May 6, 2010
Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition guide and cookbook is a wonderful tool for all women, especially pregnant women. Whether you know a lot or know nothing about healthy eating for mommy and baby, this book has something for everyone. The cookbook is not only full of delicious recipes (who says you have to be pregnant to make them?!), but also very helpful information on foods the baby needs and that your body needs to help sustain the pregnancy and keep you healthy. Along with these delicious recipes that are easy to make and are what I would consider “normal”. The recipes are not flamboyant, but everyday pantry items or easy to find in you local grocery store. There is also a ton of helpful information to help answer any pregnancy questions in regards to your diet and what you should or shouldn’t be eating. Some of these questions include; “What should I be eating? What is dangerous and why? If I eat this how is it benefiting the baby and I?” There is also a section for your last 9 months after baby is born. The exercises and eating tips are designed to help you loose the baby weight and regain your body!

This book is truly for those considering having a baby to those who have had their baby and everyone in between! Among the many helpful tidbits of information you will find helpful list that give sources of fiber, vitamin C, and other important nutrients. There is information on how much fish, water, vitamins, and other items that you should or shouldn’t be consuming. The recipes are in convenient categorized sections and come complete in a seven day menu planner. The author gives a list of pantry items needed for each categorized chapter of recipes along with time saving tips, storage tips, conversion charts and a variety of other very helpful pieces of information. The recipes range from breakfast to dinner with snack and vegetarian dishes. Eating for Pregnancy will quickly become a part of your family even after your baby is born. The recipes are for families too!

If your pregnant, planning to get pregnant, recently had your baby, are a health care professional or simply like to collect cookbooks or are interested in good nutrition, Eating for Pregnancy is for you! It would also make a wonderful gift for any expectant mother to be! It is well worth the time and money.
Profile Image for Angela Simmons.
261 reviews13 followers
October 20, 2009
“Eating for Pregnancy, the Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today’s Mother’s-to-Be”, is truly a book that every woman should own. With advice ranging from before conception until after you have had your child, Catherine Jones and Rose Anne Hudson, RD, LD, offer practical, sound advice for today’s mothers. “Eating for Pregnancy”, is more than just a cookbook it’s a complete guide on how to obtain the nutriantes that you and your baby need that offers advice and helpfully hints along the way. With 150 delicious recipes provided for you ranging from Breakfast Pizza Pancakes, Butternut Squash-Carrot Soup, Gazpacho, to Chicken Salad with Dried Apricots and Almonds, Southern Style Potato Casserole, Moroccan Style Stew, and Pumpkin Pie, Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. With each recipe being jammed packed with essential nutrients you know you are getting what you and your baby need.

“Eating for Pregnancy, The Essential Guide and Cookbook for Today’s Mother’s-to-Be”, is the wise choice when selecting a guide for any mother-to-be. A perfect gift that contains advice, helpful hints, recipes, and much more. With the chapters broken down into breakfast, soups and sandwiches, salad and dips, vegetarian and vegan, main course, and desserts. Also provided for the mother-to-be, are lists of helpful items to have on hand. “Eating for Pregnancy, The Essential Guide and Cookbook for Today’s Mother’s-to-Be”, is filled with so much sound practical advice and information that this book should be a must have any woman.
Profile Image for Kathie.
3 reviews
January 18, 2010
Catherine Jones and Rose Ann Hudson are a winning combination.

"Eating For Pregnancy" is the "how to" with easy, NUTRITIOUS, and delicious ideas and recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. As a practitioner of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine, I specialize in female fertility and Women's health. Nutrition is emphasized with all of my patients and I treat many, many women in the course of their pregnancy. The importance of eating whole foods can't be emphasized enough--for mother and baby. This will be a great tool for my patients. Why wait til pregnancy? This book can help you now. "Your first wealth is your health." It is beneficial to all women and can assist in all aspects of reproductive health. Easy exercise routines, high risk and post pregnancy tips are included, too.

Yes, recipes are family friendly and they will enjoy and benefit from these menus.

I love this book because it is easy to read, packed with fabulous and easy to use recipes that most women can follow. The nutritional information is presented in an easy to read, easy to understand format, highlighting the key nutritional components of each recipe. Vitamin and mineral sources are listed and condensed in chart form.
This book is very well researched and presented.
It is a labor of love. A great gift for yourself and your health. A great gift for your friends and family members. Even your doctor may need a copy to learn to how to zero in on the better health of his/her patients. This is a great read, and reference.

ISBN 978-0-7382-1352-1 Lifelong Books.
Profile Image for Melissa.
78 reviews59 followers
July 25, 2010
Our Thoughts:

Everything this book says it’s going to do, it does. It has some delicious, and as importantly, easy recipes. Yet besides telling you what to and what not to eat, it gives you solid advice on how to order food when away from home. The back section even has a mini area on safe exercises to do during pregnancy. This is a great book even for those not pregnant and looking to begin healthy eating.

I would have liked to see some color pictures of the recipes that were given. Knowing that people eat with their eyes, they should know that pregnant women have very sensitive sensors. I can’t imagine them trying these recipes only to find out they don’t like the look of it. Not only that, but people are more apt to try new things if they look appetizing. The recipes in this book may be delicious, yet many will never know. Because of this I had to lower the overall score. While the book may give a lot of great information, it doesn’t have much appeal without images.
Profile Image for Kat.
133 reviews7 followers
January 21, 2011
This is the best and most in-depth book I've found so far that deals specifically with pregnancy nutrition, with tons of advice, recipes, and nutritional values for a wide variety of foods. There is even a thorough chapter about vegetarian and vegan pregancy, which is exactly what I've been looking for as I work to further balance my diet in preparation for pregnancy. Vegetarian and vegan pregnancy is not glossed over quickly as it is in most other pregnancy books ("ehh, maybe OK but check with your doctor"), and it's taken seriously throughout the book as a viable and healthy option for pregnant women. Hooray for that!
I checked this out from the library, but I've decided that it's definitely worth buying as a helpful reference guide for nutrition during pregnancy and beyond.
Profile Image for Tara.
138 reviews20 followers
Read
December 7, 2008
The nutrition information seems solid. I especially like the section about "healthy snacks to have on hand". I've only made one recipe so far - the lentil, brown rice and mushroom pilaf. I think the recipe was fine, but I quickly discovered that my still sensitive stomach and sense of smell were not quite ready for a lentil and mushroom casserole. Next time I will try something a little more bland :)
Profile Image for Jaimee.
203 reviews1 follower
July 1, 2008
This is a great resource for healthy meals during and after pregnancy. She not only details the nutrition information, but also gives suggestions for side dishes to make each meal complete. Also included are lists of items to have in your pantry, health information, and tips for dealing with morning sickness.
Profile Image for Rachael.
12 reviews1 follower
November 3, 2008
I like this cookbook. I like the recipes that I've tried and I like how they tell you the nutritional info. I always feel like I've being really healthy when I eat the recipes :^) Over all, a good cookbook to have period; pregnant or not. I didn't give it 5 stars because the recipes don't knock my socks off or anything, but it is a good resource to have for healthy cooking for sure.
Profile Image for Rachel.
2,811 reviews53 followers
November 14, 2010
Very well done book on nutrition, cooking and exercise for pregnant women, though those thinking about getting pregnant or women who just want to stay healthy could also use it. Loved the recipes, though wish there were photos of the food. I also like the tips and hints it gave about things like how to deal with morning sickness, drinking more water and other side effects of pregnancy.
Profile Image for Sara.
38 reviews12 followers
June 5, 2011
Pregnant or not this is a great book of recipes. I loved that all the nutritional info was included and that each recipe stated what was beneficial about it. It also gives a lot of nutritional information as to how to eat when pregnant, how many extra calories to consume and different options for vegans and vegetarians. Great book over all and I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
105 reviews
February 2, 2008
i liked the discussion on nutrients your body needs while pregnant, i.e. what you should be supplementing, etc. but, if you already eat pretty healthily then i think this book and the recipes are a bit basic.
Profile Image for Melinda.
99 reviews
February 20, 2015
This was my favorite cookbook while pregnant. I think I ate the beef and broccoli dish at least once per week. My husband and I continue to use these recipes post-pregnancy, and I assume we will for years to come!
18 reviews4 followers
January 16, 2008
Great recipes. Didn't care for the Asian noodle salad though. Too bland. But the quesadillas and banana nut muffins are awesome!
Profile Image for Jamie.
177 reviews1 follower
January 13, 2012
This book has healthy, EASY recipes. Which is just what I need all the time. You don't need to be eating for two to get into this book.
Profile Image for Candi.
118 reviews
June 25, 2012
This book is mostly a cookbook. I guess I didn't realize that when I bought it. I did learn a few things, though! And can't wait to try out some of the yummy recipes.
Profile Image for Jenn .
110 reviews3 followers
July 14, 2012
I'm not pregnant and stumbled upon this while checking in books. It's actually got some great recipes!
Profile Image for Jenn .
110 reviews3 followers
July 23, 2012
updated version of a previous cookbook. loved it even tho I'm not with child!
Profile Image for Nina.
Author 3 books7 followers
September 30, 2012
Great and in-depth nutrition guide for the time when you clearly need to pay attention to what you eat.Very easy and tasty recipes.
Profile Image for Shawna.
30 reviews13 followers
March 22, 2013
Delicious recipes and meal ideas! Each recipe is complete with which vitamins are most prevalent in that recipe and how it's good for your growing baby.
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.