Start by marking “Last Light Over Carolina” as Want to Read:
Last Light Over Carolina

Last Light Over Carolina

From the "New York Times "bestselling author of "Time Is a River "comes a new lyrical and emotionally satisfying novel that will sweep readers away to the seductive southern landscape--in the tradition of Sue Monk Kidd and Anne Rivers Siddons.

With a warm voice that brings the South to life, "New York Times "bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe writes richly textured novels
Published July 14th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Last Light Over Carolina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Light Over Carolina

Start your review of Last Light Over Carolina
Pamela
There are night-and-day differences between love stories and romance novels. A Love story may stem from physical attraction, but it builds upon relational foundations of faith, hope, trust, integrity, commitment, and communication with ever increasing maturity and depth. Whereas a romance novel sparks hot-and-heavy with physical attraction (its primary focus: physical conquest coupling) and pays little attention to character depth or foundational import or believability.

To each their own. There
Jennifer Defoy
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
After reading the description I thought this book would be a lot like The Perfect Storm. I was wrong. It was a great story and a truly touching and emotional book.

While the story's main plot revolves around Bud and the perilous situation he is in there is so much more to this one. As Bud and Carolina go through their day they recall memories from their past. Not all of them are good, but they all show how life can take it's toll on a marriage. How just loving someone may not always be enough an
Tattered Cover Book Store
Jackie says:

Peggy
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book about the Morrison family and their tiny town, McClellan, South Carolina. Progress is coming to the town, things are changing. Not many years ago, their were many shrimp boats tied up to the dock, but now only the diehard, traditional families still shrimp.

The Morrisons, Bud and Carolina, their daughter, Lizzie and her son live together and struggle to make a living. Bud has his shrimp boat, their daughter works at a local diner and Carolina runs the house. Bud works har
Cheryl
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really, really loved this book. Maybe it was because I read it shortly after finishing "The Angel's Game", which I found to be difficult and tedious, but this quick and easy read appealed to me. I felt a close kinship with the 50-something main characters, and truly appreciated the perspective on what it takes to keep a marriage of over 30 years going strong. More than anything, I appreciated the thought that marriages can take some pretty hard knocks and still survive. Add to all of this a fa ...more
Mary Thomas
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fast, easy read. Interesting was the focus of lives of the two main people, perspectives were from each of them, reviewing current as well as past events in thier lives.

The book moved from current to past and was an interesting perspective of long married people and how lives come together, drift apart and sometimes, what it takes to "put it back together".

Low country, as usual is interesting and evokes sights, sounds and smells of the area. A good summer read!

Barry Bridges
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done, solid storytelling. The reader can feel the weight of history in each of the character's actions. I doubt the shrimping industry is as glamorous as Bud makes it out to be, but it is an honorable profession of hard working people, dedicated to feeding us pleasurable meals. It is nice to see a glimpse into the life and better appreciate the sacrifice made for us consumers.
Susannah Carleton
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Good book about an older couple in their fifties, with flashbacks remembering key points, both good and bad, in their married lives. They have overcome difficulties before. Now, with his life possibly on the line, will they be able to do so again?
Judy Churchill
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a nail biter! The shrimpers in the Carolina lowlands are having a hard time economically. With cheap import shrimp and rising costs of diesel to run the boats, it has become harder and harder to turn a profit. When Bud gets his hand caught in the winch on his boat, alone and in an isolated spot the shrimping community comes together to find him and save him.
Holly Bednarek
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I wanted to finish it in one day to see what was going to happen.
Nely
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Bud and Carolina Morrison have been married for well over 30 years. They reside in the small coastal town of McClellanville, South Carolina where Bud captains the Miss Carolina - his shrimping boat. Although being a shrimper is not the easiest of lives (long, hard-working days) - it is something that he would not give up for the world. Like any marriage - Bud and Carolina’s has not been an easy one they have definitely had their share of bumpy roads, but they have found a way to overcome these o ...more
Sandy
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
Mary Alice Monroe succeeded in plopping me down right in the middle of the South Carolina Low Country and its shrimpers. The structure of the story hangs on one fateful day in the life of shrimper Bud Morrison. He makes the decision to head out on his own after his friend and deckhand doesn't show up in the morning. As resulting events progress, the story of a marriage, a town and an industry in trouble emerges.

It took a while for the characters to work their way into my literary heart but as t
Jackie
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This new novel by the author of Time Is A River takes us to the coast of South Carolina and into the world of the shrimping industry, hit hard by the current economy and imports of foreign shrimp to American markets. It's the story of Bud and Carolina, whose decades of marriage is on shaky ground. It's also the story of a down on its luck town who, when emergency strikes, pulls together and takes care of its own while forgetting all the rivalries and resentments and worries that generally plague ...more
Chris
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That was a great book and so different from others I have read. I learned a lot about "Shrimpers" and the shrimping culture. What a rough life, but I appreciate, praise & applaud them for all their hard work that produces such a delicious delicacy for the rest of us.

In addition to the shrimping lesson I learned...I loved the relationship story Mary Alice told in this novel about Bud and Carolina...amazing!
Allison
I couldn't get in to this book at all, and I came to really dislike the character of Bud. He seemed like such an ass in this book, I couldn't even feel sorry for him. It takes place in one day, with Bud and Carolina going back and forth between the present day and their memories from the past, it was all really boring.
Margaret
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have loved all of this author's book. Her characters are so well developed and her skill in bringing the South to life lets you smell the saltwater. The book takes in one day of the life of Bud and Carolina a couple whose 30 year marriage is floundering. Flashbacks tell how they got to this sad state. A story of love and forgiveness.
Gail
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to MAM and I say WOW! I love the Low Country of SC and want to move there. This story took me there with sound and smell and everything! I felt like I knew the characters as well as the place. Ms. Monroe is a master storyteller. I can't wait for more.
Mary
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Monroes stories. This one takes place in a shrimping town in SC. It's about family, love, and mistakes. And forgiveness. And as always, I choked up at the end. She gets me every time!
Virginia
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading author's novel regarding lowcountry. I highly recommend this one.
Eileen
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Found this title by following the "Read Books in Your Email" link on my library's website: http://www.noblenet.org/lynn. I enjoyed the excerpts so I checked the book out. It was an enjoyable read. ...more
Barb
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is just another great book by Mary Alice Monroe.
Debbie
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love her books!!
Patty
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Ehhhhh ... this was a little cheesy. And gross.
Melissa
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Last Light Over Carolina was a book I read solely because it ended up on my shelf somehow (sometimes books just seem to do that). And living in the Carolinas, why not?

For Bud and Carolina, shrimping has always been a part of their life together. Bud was born into it, and Carolina entered the relationship knowing. But that doesn't keep her from getting lonely, or wonder if the life she's living is really the life she wants to live. Same with her daughter, who also fell in love with a shrimper. Li
Barry Martin Vass
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing tale of the sea. Mary Alice Monroe is writing about a very tightly-woven group of shrimp fisherman from McClellanville, South Carolina. They've all grown up with each other, occasionally brawled with each other, and are a very clannish bunch of loners. This was released in 2009, so I'd imagine most of the research was done in 2008, when the Great Recession was just beginning to cripple the economy; Author Monroe has done a good job of showing the devastating effects of rising gasol ...more
Linda Smith
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Most of "Last Light over Carolina" takes place during a single day - with multiple flashbacks. It's the story of a marriage - the good, the bad and the ugly. Carolina and Bud Morrison fell in love at first sight. It is now decades later and this is the day that will change everything. Bud is a shrimp boat owner/captain. On this fateful morning, he decides to take the boat out alone. His first mate hadn't shown up but Bud needed to make whatever money he could to literally keep afloat. Although a ...more
Diane Harris
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I love seaside settings, the book wasn't Monroe's best. I did enjoy the characters, developed empathy for Bud and Carolina, but the drama was so intense at the start that I had to skip to the end immediately to find out what happened. Otherwise I scan the book and don't really read it. There were not challenges to my vocabulary (I like when I have to look up a new word). But the descriptions were very clear and my mind's eye had a vivid picture of the settings. If I could give half a star ...more
Karli Eller
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I love Mary Alice Monroe and have read just about all of her books. This was not one of my favorites, but was still solid. A story about a marriage that has slowly lost its fire, resulting in two people who are more like roommates than spouses. One fateful day causes both of them to reflect on their marriage, the good times as well as what has led to the distance between them now. Ultimately a story about forgiveness. It was enjoyable to read and I flew through it. It just wasn't quite as good a ...more
Jeanne (love2cook)
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
The story is set in the South Carolina low country and about the resilience of the people who live there. Bud Morrison is the only man Carolina has ever loved. Bud is a shrimp boat captain and their lives are dependent upon the price of shrimp, the quantity of shrimp and the weather and many other factors. She has been struggling to prove that even through loss, joy and sorrow love never dies. A good fast read.
Celestial
Feb 03, 2009
Evelyn
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
After 33 years of marriage, Bud and Carolina Morrison have drifted apart. Bud's existence centers on shrimping and his boat, the "Miss Carolina." One stormy day Bud's deckhand doesn't show up and Bud takes the boat out alone. Bud is severely injured with no help in sight. Carolina spends the day reminiscing about their marriage, feeling something terrible has happened.

An interesting technique. The book describes one day in the life of Bud and Carolina. Mary Alice Monore is a strong Southern fic
Melinda
Mar 03, 2009
Rachael
Mar 07, 2009
Janice
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This book's story took place in the course of one day but there were lots of flashbacks. Storyline is basically about the trials and tribulations of relationships in a marriage, friendship and family. I like how Monroe's books always takes place in the lowcountry of South Carolina. Only 3 stars this time because it was just too predictable.
Carole
Mar 20, 2009
Robin
Mar 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
I've enjoyed her previous women's novels. This comse out in June.
M K
Jun 22, 2009
Yolanda
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I really loved this book .It explains in vivid detail the fishermans love of the ocean and how such an industry affects the local community.
It also hit home with me as so many people are going through what this community is experiencing in the book right now with the economy the way it is. The characters are likeable and realistic.
Dawn
Jun 29, 2009
Shoshana
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
What a wonderful story! It's about relationship between husband and wife, friends, families and more. This is a story about Bud and Carolina Morrison. The story takes place in one day. The flashbacks are cleverly merged with the story. It is beautifully written.

I keep pushing this book to the back of my pile because I don't have a big chunk of time to devote to it. But then I took a look at first page and couldn't put it down.

I'm reading more books by this author, for sure!
Janga
Jul 05, 2009
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Jul 10, 2009
Carol
Jul 12, 2009
Cheri
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Overall and excellent story...but the majority of the book was dealing with struggles to return to happiness...lots of sadness throughout the book
Natasha
Jul 14, 2009

• Second Star To The Right
  • Islands
  • The Land of Mango Sunsets
  • Porch Lights
  • Hello, Summer
  • Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
  • Full of Grace
  • Between the Tides
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
  • Where the River Runs
  • Lighthouse Beach
  • Summer Rental
  • Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales, #7)
  • Sunset Beach
  • Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #6)
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • A Beach Wish
  • Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4)
Mary Alice Monroe is the New York Times bestselling author of 23 novels, including On Ocean Boulevard, which is the sixth installment of the Beach House series.

More than 7.5 million copies of her books have been published worldwide, and she’s earned numerous accolades and awards, including: Induction into the South Carolina Academy of Authors’ Hall of Fame; the Southwest Florida Author of Distinct