Start by marking “Elijahova stolica” as Want to Read:
Elijahova stolica

Elijahova stolica

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  307 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In the novel Elijah’s Chair, Igor Štiks describes the unusual fate of Richard Richter, an Austrian writer about to turn fifty. Following an emotional crisis and marriage breakdown, the hero leaves Paris to return to his hometown of Vienna, where he finds his mother’s hidden notebook. Its shocking contents, written in the dramatic circumstances of 1941, thoroughly transform ...more
Published 2006 by Fraktura

Win a Copy of This Book

The Judgment of Richard Richter
    Release date: Sep 01, 2017
    In this gripping, war-torn epic novel, author Igor Štiks, a nominee for the IMPAC Dublin Award, tells the story of a celebrated writer who travels to ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 278 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 04 - Aug 31, 2017

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Elijahova stolica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elijahova stolica

Jana
    Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
    Recommended to Jana by: Tina
    Writing about this book is the same as writing about some stranger that you met somewhere. Put it in a context of gallery, theatre, book presentation instead of a street, bar, cinema. You’ve mingled around the same people, you and this person but you've never been acquainted and you've never spoken before although you maybe exchanged a few looks. But shy and still undefined from your side and previously his were probably just a product of skimming around.

But now for a part of second while obser
    Sweetnatalka
    Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fiction, ukr, history, travel, 2017
    Історія краху людини на тлі краху країни. Я вперше читаю настільки глибоку історію війни, де Місто – то Сараєво, а війна – в Югославії, але то далеко не найважливіше. Особиста трагедія стає встократ дієвішою, ніж снайпери та шрапнель. І це краще від тревелогів, краще за усі путівники разом взяті. Моя перша книга хорватського автора. Абсолютне відкриття цього літа.
    Katie B
    Author Richard Richter was an orphan by the age of four and was raised by his aunt. After finding an old notebook of his mother's written during World War II, Richard's life is changed forever. He sets out on a quest to find out more about his father. The search for answers leads him to a war torn Sarajevo where Richard soon learns that the truth doesn't always set you free.

To say this book is unusual is putting it mildly. I don't like to give spoilers in my reviews but I will say I thought the
    Michelle
    Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I don't want to be a mean girl, but this book was just awful. I was really excited about the premise but two pages in I knew it was terrible. The prose is just so bogged down, and I figured out the twist about 30% in. It was completely obvious and just...gross.
    Temz
    May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    „Елiяховият стол“ е четиво, което би трябвало да бъде четено и препрочитано. Това не е книга само за любителите на история или на политика. С наслагването на политическите и литературните си пластове, това е роман, в който сякаш е сложено всичко, което е трябвало да се сложи, превръщайки го не на последно място в смел урок по хуманност, който трябва да се преповтаря редовно. И най-вече урок как да бъдеш балканец по един нов начин. Надхвърлящ човешкото.
    Zillah
    Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    This is going to be a classic one day, l'm sure of it! It's been a while since l've read something so masterfully written, so real, so alive.. A book that l'll surely come back to a few more times coz it left me with a feeling that the characters grew to be my friends as l read along- l felt their fears, their suffering, their love.. I felt as if l had been walking with them through the streets of Sarajevo, as if l had been sharing with them their secrets.. Everyone should read this book!
    Maygin Reads
    Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: fans of Dostoevsky or literary fiction that melodramatically considers fate
    The Judgment of Richard Richter by Igo Štiks - 4/ 5 stars

Trigger Warnings: Suicide (not graphically depicted); suicide ideation (discussed at length); wartime violence (not graphically depicted); incest (discussed at length; not graphically depicted)

While I enjoyed this book more than I expected, it is not a book for everyone. It is a work of true literary fiction, in the style of Dostoevsky and Joyce, with long descriptive sentences, which often contemplate on the ideas of fate, war, destiny, a
    Korana Serdarević
    Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    Already a classic. Story, characters, style. Everything about this book is pure literature.
    Kismeth
    Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
    Interesting, a bit weird, not too obvious but just enough to make me guess the "thing" before it was actually revealed. Refreshingly un-American.
    Cari
    The Judgment of Richard Richter was my Kindle First selection for the month of August.

There are very few settings more haunting than war-torn Sarajevo. Under the dark veil of suffering and violence in a city under seige, lies the very essence of humanity: the ability to find love among the pain, hope among the wreckage.
    "The window was open and through it came the familiar voices of a Sarajevo wartime night. Somebody is dying. Somebody feels the pain of a wounded body. Somebody is mourning. Som
    Debbie Shoulders
    The was not my "cup of tea." The narrative is one of Greek tragedy, a set of circumstances befalls Richter that can only be found in the pages of the classics - not in real life. Set mostly in 1992 Sarajevo, the author intends to share the atmosphere of the besieged region during that time. Unfortunately the filled with coincidences plot and questionable choices of the protagonist push the city to the background. This book seems to be an homage to "Homo Faber" by Max Frisch, as once that tale co ...more
    Michelle Duncan
    Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Poetry

A five star rating, except for the slow, slow beginning. I was nearly 3/4 thru the book before it grabbed me. The reason I kept at it was the sheer poetry, the way the author expressed his views. I'm a word geek, a metaphor lover, even when the plot plods. As it turned out, the effort was worth it. A Greek tragedy in modern garb. I shall carry it with me for a long time.
    susan ward
    Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book did not have me hooked from the beginning. Maybe because it was translated it seemed bit wordy at times. In fact, once or twice I thought about quitting and coming back to it later, but then I realized I couldn't put it down. Skillful writing, terrific character development, the story suspenseful in it's evolution. This is a story I will undoubtedly reread. Highly recommend.
    Sheila Lohrie
    Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Outstanding

A tragic story of a man, Richard Richter, who through committing one of societies most deplorable actions, sets into motion a downward spiral. I found this book to be exhilarating at times as well as quite depressing. Set during wartime in Sarajevo, Richard finds his answer as well as putting himself in a situation of guilt and shame. I found myself routing for him on one level however wrong, only to finally accept his complete betrayal. The resounding moral and ethical questions will
    Gail Hilton
    Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Very compelling

This book held my interest all the way through. Written in the first person as a manuscript, I felt I was reading a real persons account of the occurrences that led to the end. The characters were real. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in a tragic real feeling narrative.
    Fay Dowling
    Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Astounding level of literary mastery.

... the likes of which I've not seen published since before the turn of the century. Outstanding work. Igor Stiks has given me hope that the craft of writing has not fallen by the wayside of the information highway.
    Pat Newcomb
    Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Worth the time

A little wordy and wandering, but worth the effort especially if you have had any connection to Sarajevo - a mystical, wonderful city with a very deep, rich human history.
    Becky Brabrook
    Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Couldn't get into it, not my cup of tea.
    Chuck
    Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I did not care for this author's writing style. Not sure if it was my mood at the time I started this book, or just an overall take on it, but it was hard to follow along.
    Judie
    Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: did-not-finish
    Mundane and verbose.
    Mira Baldaranova
    Пътуването на Рихард Рихтер по следите на миналото, от Париж към Виена до Сараево, безспорно наподобява търсенето на отговор. Миналото е капан, в който често попадат настоящето и бъдещето. Но от самото начало на книгата авторът оставя знаци, че този отговор му е известен, че пътят Виена - Сараево - Виена е траектория, затворила един житейски цикъл, едно завъртане на пясъчния часовник и тихото, неумолимо плъзгане на песъчинките в тесния улей.

Елияховият стол е поставен на мястото си. Пророчеството
    Ana Zupcic
    Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: croatian-lit
    Tog običnog petka u svibnju bila sam neobično sretna što nema posla. Ne šaljite jutros nikakav tekst na prijevod, dragi klijenti, jer želim dok kraja pročitati Elijahovu stolicu, tko šiša posao.
    Ja nemam pojma zašto je prošlo skoro deset godina od objave ove knjige do tog da je pročitam. Kakav propust, kakva greška!

Dugo nisam znala što bih napisala u svoj osvrt, izuzev klišejiziranih superlativa s kojima bih drugima zvučala preushićeno (možebitno i opijeno) i toga da me tijekom čitanja pratio ne
    Elly
    een prettig leesbaar boek, dat diep ingaat op de psychologie van een man die op zijn 50ste er achter komt dat zijn vader niet zijn vader is. Hij gaat op zoek naar zijn verwekker, en eigenlijk ook naar zijn eigen identiteit. Dit alles gecompliceerd door het feit dat hij geboren is in het Wenen van 1942, en zijn verwekker een joodse man uit Sarajevo is. Het leven in het belegerde Sarajevo van 1992 wordt levendig beschreven.

Het boek is geschreven als ware het een auto-biografie, en bevat dus een aa
    Anamarija
    Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
    Dobar je Štiks, rečenice mu lijepo teku, radnja je zanimljiva, a teme svevremene. Govori ponajviše o sudbini.
    Dario
    Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
    Odlična knjiga,preporučam...
    Luc
    Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Mooie roman over een persoonlijke geschiedenis gesitueerd in een krankzinnig conflict.
    Maja
    Marinče
    Nov 27, 2013
    JaLyn
    Aug 15, 2017
    Igor Štiks spent his childhood in Sarajevo, but lived in Zagreb, Croatia since the Bosnian War started in 1992. He studied comparative literature and philosophy at the University of Zagreb.

He was a postgraduate of the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), where he received a master degree in Philosophy and he was working for Northwestern University (USA, Chicago) as a teaching assis
    More about Igor Štiks...

“Povela me na pijacu Markale. Alma kaže da se na tom mjestu može konačno upoznati duša unutarnjeg Sarajeva. Ne govori pritom o švercu hrane, o svakodnevnim prehrambenim proizvodima koji sve više postaju nedostižni običnim građanima, nego o stvarima koje su do jučer ispunjavale stanove i kuće građana. I doista, ovdje nalazimo ljude koji već donose kućne dragocjenosti na prodaju, ili barem ono čega su se spremni odreći. Danas još prodaju knjige – mslim dok pratim Almu kroz gužvu, dok je slušam kako razgovara s ljudima, kako pozdravlja, pita, ide dalje – manje vrijedne slike, porculan, neupotrebljive lijepe predmete, domino, lule, antikvitete..., a sutra će donositi srebro, zlato, dijamante, rijetkosti, prodavat će godinama sakupljane zbirke koječega, najskupocjenije posuđe, najljepše perzijske ćilime ili porodične uspomene na ovoj burzi na kojoj će se vrijednosti svih tih stvari iz nekadašnjih života mjeriti šakom riže, kilom brašna, s dva ili tri jaja, žlicom ulja...Simon je u pravu, omča se steže. Doći će spoznaja, pa očaj.” 0 likes