Start by marking “Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune Swimsuit History!” as Want to Read:
Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune  Swimsuit History!

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  557 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
A fun, feel-good, "underdog" story about a little-known female athlete whose derring-do transformed girls' sports.

With strokes of genius, Shana Corey and Edwin Fotheringham pool their
Published April 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Queen

Kathryn
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book! It is so much fun, so inspiring, so refreshing and exhilarating--rather like a good swim ;-) Here is the story of Australian-born Annette Kellerman who was "terribly afraid of the water" as a little girl but encouraged to swim to strengthen her weak legs. But, she was brave and persevered and soon began setting records. Later in life, she said, "I learn much from people in the way they meet the unknown in life, and water is a great test... This love of the unknown i ...more
Betsy
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm always fascinated by famous figures from the past that have been largely forgotten by the public memory. It gives me hope when I look at some of the forgettable celebrities floating around today. Once in a while these celebrities of ages past will pop up in biographical films, written biographies, or in a very rare case, in picture book biographies. And when it comes to Annette Kellerman "champion swimmer, risk-taker, and fashion rebel", author Shana Corey says of her, "Few people have heard ...more
Ann
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Kathryn
What an informative, fun story about Annette Kellerman! I didn't know a thing about this woman until I read this book, and what an amazing story. After being nearly unable to walk as a child, Annette was given the prescription to swim. Not only did Annette grow stronger legs, she grew a strong will and the desire to "make waves" :) She championed swimming as a sport and an artistic craft, as well as championing women's athletics and new, lighter swimsuits for women.

The author's note at the back
Gail
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was attracted to this children's book because of the title, but loved it because I learned something new. Annette Kellerman invented the first bathing suit that women could actually swim in and water ballet. Thanks for the recommendation Carrie Haner!
Lisa Vegan
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in swimming, people overcoming adversity, innovators
Well, I wasn’t sure about this one: swimsuit fashion? But I love stories of people overcoming the odds and excelling, and what with watching the Olympics these past two weeks (having been a fan since my teens) I was intrigued by a woman who was a pioneer of women’s swimming.

I thank the Children's Books group for introducing me to this book. It’s one of the book selections for March’s Picture-Book Club; I don’t know that I’d otherwise have ever read this book. I’d never heard of it, and I wasn’t
Rachel
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book Mermaid Queen by Shana Corey is a biography about “Annette Kellerman who swam her way to fame, fortune, and swimsuit history!” When Annette was young she dreamed of becoming a ballerina but she could barely walk. Her father taught her to swim so that her legs would get stronger. Once she was strong she realized that her swimming was her own form of being a ballerina. She decided to share her art with the world but no one could get over the fact that she was a girl! No one took her serio ...more
Jenny
Annette Kellerman wanted to dance but she could barely walk and needed braces. Her father taught her to swim to strengthen her legs and she became a famous swimmer. She swam in the Thames and tried to cross the English Channel. This was at a time when women weren't encouraged to swim or exercise and definitely didn't show their bare legs. She broke many barriers.

What I liked most was the determination that Kellerman showed. In the author's note, it explains that as a child she was scared of the
Boni
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Phenomenal art! This is a gorgeous book. It's well-written, and interesting too (and very Girl Power!), but I felt it could have been a little more thorough in explaining details. When we read it, my kids were left with more questions unanswered than answered. There is an end-note, but it is extensive and some of the detail in it could easily have been woven into the text to make the story clearer overall. Still highly recommended!
Sandy
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story of Annette Kellerman who could not walk as a child but became a strong swimmer and played a prominent role in the history of the swimsuit. The illustrations are cool, and I especially liked the last page where it shows the evolution of swimsuits over the years. C. 2009, genre-informational
Wendi
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story of a girl who never gave up and swam to her dreams. As a swimmer and mom of two girls, I loved this book!
Colby Sharp
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographical
I'm excited to share this book with my fourth graders tomorrow. Shanna Corey is quickly becoming my favorite picture book biography author.
Shiloah
Loved this book!
Juli Anna
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had higher hopes for this one. The illustrations were not to my taste--the pixelated quality looked to me like poor printing. In addition, there was something really lacking in the message here. Each time Kellerman bumped up against public mores, she ended up compromising to meet expectations (adding stockings and skirts to her swimsuits, for instance). It did make me want to track down a '20s-style swimsuit, though...
Julia
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 5yr old loved this true story of Annette Kellerman, from young girl who was barely able to walk to champion swimmer and fashion rebel who invented water ballet and the modern swimsuit. This is an inspiring story of strength, courage, and perseverance, featuring colorful illustrations. A nice touch to the story is that it includes Kellerman's failures as well as her successes, showing her determination and conviction to young readers.
Mary
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kellerman (1888-1975) was taught how to swim as a child because of her crippled legs. She created water ballet. She excelled at distance swimming. In giving exhibitions, she was confronted with cultural inhibitions of women showing their legs and was gradually able to introduce a modest, but freeing suit so women could freely move in water.
Kermit
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it

The life of Annette Kellerman. She was an Australian swimmer who had a positive influence on society's view of women athletes in the early 1900s. She also played a part in the evolution of practical women's swimwear.
Kari
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this book is amazing and I love that they took a little known female athlete and promoted her memory and what she did for women everywhere! This book made a little piece of history accessible and fun.
Jeani
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful true story of a woman overcoming physical challenges to exceed the world's expectations, while breaking past social barriers of her time.
Maggie Ignasiak
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Empowering! This is a little known story about a truly influential figure. It was perfect from start to finish. And as I always say, don't skip that author's note (it's so informative)!
Carol Ekster
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous picture book biography. Wonerful writing makes a great read aloud. Inspiring!
Lindsay Niebuhr
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story is about a little known female athlete who found fame and fortune through her amazing swimming talents. I would give this book 2 out of five stars for it's informative facts.
Nielson
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book! The story is absolutely fascinating and the pictures are so bright and vivid and fun! It is the true story of Annette Kellerman who as a young girl did not have full use of her legs. Her father taught her how to swim which enabled her to use and strengthen her legs. She became a master swimmer but was criticized because swimming wasn't artistic enough nor were girl athletes accepted as the norm. That didn't stop Annette though! She and her father traveled to London where ...more
Christine Turner
Are you brave enough to make a wave? If you love sports and people who aren't afraid to swim against the tide, Annette Kellerman and her freestyle approach to life will make your heart swell. With strokes of genius, Shana Corey and Edwin Fotheringham pool their talents to create a winning portrait of a little-known athlete, performer, and fashion revolutionary who broke records (and rules!) and dazzled the world with her splashy pluck and courage. A fun, feel-good, "underdog" story about a littl ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, surprise, health
Mermaid Queen by Shana Corey

Loved this author and this illustrator's work together on a previous book about Alice Roosevelt. This one was even better. The wonderful text, printed in big and small fonts, with curls and swirls, combined with the fun illustrations makes for a great book.

I'm happy to learn about the life of Annette Kellerman, who began to swim to strengthen her legs weakened by debilitating disease. She loved dancing and was the first to create what came to be known as water ballet
Kay Carman
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s, swimmers
Another 2010 Caldecott contender, this is a picture book biography of Annette Kellerman, an Australian born in 1888, who invented both water ballet and modern swimwear for women.

From the author's note: "At the peak of her fame, she was not only a renowned athlete but a bestselling author, an outspoken advocate for women's health and dress reform, and a celebrated stage and movie star who grabbed headlines whatever she did and earned the nickname the 'Mermaid Queen.'"

Little girls picking out th
Christiane
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Has anyone ever heard of Annette Kellerman? Back in 1903 when she was a young girl swimmer her mother worried that people would talk, and when she performed before royalty at London's Bath Club there was more concern about her bare legs than her ability in the water. And in Boston she was arrested for her shocking swim attire! But Annette presevered, insisting that swimming was healthful exercise for everyone and that women would be happier and healthier if they were allowed more freedom to be p ...more
Mrs. Tongate
It is the true story of Annette Kellerman who did not have full use of her legs. Her father taught her how to swim which allowed her to use and strengthen her legs. This was a woman who was not afraid of creating waves! Great read-aloud for Women's History Month, Health, or right before Spring Break to honor bathing suit season!

Annette believed swimming was "the best sport in the world for women" and was passinate about its benefits. "An occasional swim does as much good as a six month's vacatio
Bernice
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This story of Annette Kellerman tells of her aspiration to bring swimming to women around the world. Although she faced the challenges from her own family, to those who thought it was wrong for women to be in bathing suits, she overcame those trials and her fame grew as continued to do what she loved; swim. Word spread of Annette and soon everyone was following her lead and marveling over her abilities. On her first trip to the United States she was reprimanded by the police for swimming in the ...more
Beverly Kennett
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story of a young girl who could barely walk due to an illness, Annette Kellerman, who was inspired by the graceful dancers she saw in her parents' music school. She learned to swim to strengthen her legs and eventually used her love of the activity to change the world's attitudes about female athletes, the benefits of exercise for women, invent the first version of the modern swimsuit for women, and be credited for inventing the graceful art of Water Ballet. The bright and colorfully illustr ...more
Tanya W
Great book... same illustrator as What About Alice?. We love it because it tells the inspiring story of a girl who followed her dreams and accomplished something noteworthy. I love any book that tells my daughter, you can do almost anything!... this book sends that message. She beat the odds, she didn't worry that not everyone immediately liked her ideas. The book is fabulously illustrated and has interesting typesetting as well.

This is a Beehive Nominee for 2011 (Children's Literature Associati
  • What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
  • The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • Just Being Audrey
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Redwoods
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Mama Miti: Wangari Maathai and the Trees of Kenya
  • There Goes Ted Williams: The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai (Frances Foster Books)
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
  • Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell (Christy Ottaviano Books)
  • A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
  • Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909
Lives in Brooklyn, NY with her husband.
More about Shana Corey...